- Text Size +

 

09. 1/16 inch. Aware. F/m.

My family hates me. I was born a normal child, seven and a half pounds. But soon, I got smaller. And smaller. Now, at age 16, I’m 1/16th of an inch tall. Most of my siblings have all gone off to college and become doctors and lawyers, and I’m simply stuck as a speck, a speck they keep in an old jelly jar. Worthless, but I suppose, still their child. They still occasionally drop in small amounts of water and food to keep me alive. Nice of them. Heh. But from what I tell from their conversations, my parents are headed out of the country for the weekend for a vacation. They’re leaving my older sister in charge of me. My other three siblings have all moved out, but my 18 year old sister still lives at home while she attends a nearby college. For the past couple days, I’ve been sitting in this glass jar on her nightstand, and she has sometimes dropped a giant piece of grilled chicken or drop of water into the jar to keep me alive. I live the life of a prisoner and have no control over it. I am powerless. Late one night, I hear the laughter of what seems to be other girls downstairs. It appears to me that my sister in having a slumber party. Later in the evening, the lights in her bedroom are suddenly switched on, and a hand surrounds the jar I am imprisoned in. I am taken downstairs and placed on the ground. From what I can tell at my size, I am in the middle of a group of giggling teenage girls. A massive girl’s face appears over the uncovered jar’s opening, and smiling, she says, “Oh, God, so this is your little brother?” The girls all erupt into laughter, clearly mocking my minute size. “Yep, that’s the guy. My parents wanted to toss him away. But ‘family is family’ they said. So we just leave him here.” To my right, the undersides of five enormous toes press against the glass of my jar. The prints of the toes are towering over me. They slide down the jar, tilting it away off its base, and I fall down and slide to the opposite edge of the jar. “Stop it, you’ll scare him!” “Oh, I’m sure the little thing is used to being scared!” The girls laugh again as I regain my footing. “Well, can he do anything? Like, tricks or something?” “Can he help us with our pedicures?” “Can a tiny ass man like that do anything?” The giantesses around me discussed my usefulness as I arose, staring up and around at my captors. I hear a loud snipping sound, and one of the girls say, “Maybe, he’d like this!” Above my head I see a girl’s fingers drop into my jar what appears to be a toenail clipping. It crashes in front of me and falls. “Let the tiny man worship the clipping from my big toenail. It’ll be like the St. Louis Arch to him!” The great nail clipping stretched out in front of me, slightly yellowed with a bit of dirt on its underside. There was more laughing from outside my jar, as I could hear more snipping. Soon, another massive nail clipping fell into my jar and bounced off the original one to my left. This one was smaller, I assume for the girl’s second toe. “I’ll help!” Snip snip, and another giant clipping falls into my prison, this one with a red covering on the top of it. It falls nears me as I tense up and run to the other side of the glass jar. “Be careful! If he got hurt my parents would kill me.” Slowly, the jar begins to fill up with teenage girl toenail clippings, as I am forced to run around, attempting to avoid their falling. The smell of feet permeates the jar as I cower below the girls’ nail remnants, struggling to survive.