- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Hi guys! I apologize for not posting for awhile, I've finally resolved some issues that were taking up a lot of my time. I also apologize for beginning a new story instead of continuing my other one, but I promise I will get back to it soon. Until then, enjoy this tale! I should be posting around two chapters a day after this one.

Author's Chapter Notes:

Hey guys! Hope you enjoy this new story, and all feedback is very much appreciated!

Thunder clouds began to roll over the eroded ceiling of the airport, and I decided to take this queue to run inside the faded baize building. I entered,  and the pitter-patter of light rain began behind me. I'm  satisfied with my timing, early enough to skip the rain and line to grab my boarding pass, but not so early as to lose sleep. I started walking to security after swiftly retrieving my boarding pass, noticing the degraded building. 
"Man, I hope the planes aren't as old as this building," I thought. I ended up receiving incredibly cheap tickets for myself and my friend Lexi due how run-down this area is, but the possibility of getting a 20 year old plane worries me.

 

The level of dust increased as I walked down towards security, now almost forming a visible haze. I hopped behind a short man, who wore the clothes of a typical tourist, and took my place in the security line. I placed my hand on the cool metal railing that guided the line, and I scanned the area to see if Lexi had arrived yet. 
"Guess not," I thought to myself. She had a bit of a habit of showing up directly on time, never early, never late. I decided to check my watch and saw that she wouldn't be here for another ten minutes or so. While looking through the crowded line, I noticed something odd. 
Everyone here seems.....dazed. Yes the line is moving, and yes small talk is buzzing between people, but it seems like everyone is half asleep; they all look just like they're going through the motions and not actually putting into any thought into their actions. 
"I'm getting a weird vibe here, I hope Lexi arrives here soon, so I'm not stuck with these robots," I thought nervously. 
Though this autonomous behavior did increase the speed of the line, my uneasiness made time move more slowly. 
Just as I began to load my carry-on to be checked, a pair of white hair and green eyes approached me. I lowered my gaze to meet the young woman in the face, and I noticed that she brandished a badge with the word 'security.' 
"Oh crap, did I do something?" I wondered. 
"Hello sir," her positive tome put me at ease, and my posture relaxed. 
"Our airport has recently implemented a new random check policy, and I need you to walk over in this room with me," she continued. 
"Alright," I replied willingly. "This policy is probably the only new thing in this airport," I joked to myself. I followed her short white hair, and noticed to strange things. She had a tattoo of a necklace, where a normal necklace would be. 
"Surprising she got hired with that tattoo, although I guess this place can't be really picky about who they hire." 
The other oddity I noticed was the door she was taking me too; it was down a hallway that I didn't notice at all before, and the color of the walls were a deep red here, not baize. The clash of colors bludgeoning my OCD beside, it actually felt like a situation where I won a contest or something, and I was grabbing my prize. 
Now curiously anticipating the possibility of a prize, I was happy to arrive at the similarly red door with a golden doorknob. 
"Right this way," she spoke to affirm I was following her. 
She swung the door open with surprising force and impatience, contradicting her earlier persona. I walked in directly behind her, now slightly nervous again. 
"Huh....." I audibly questioned. There was nothing in this room besides bright fluorescent lights and a white tile floor. 
I let go of the door and heard the audible "CLUNK" of the door falling back into its place. 
"So....um....what do I need to do exactly," still questioning this eerie room. 
She answered in a surprisingly blunt and cheerful, yet rushed, voice. 
"Oh that's simple sweetie, you just have to survive for me, then come find me, I'll be waiting."
"Um..what," I spoke, once against tensing up, trying to prepare myself for any trouble that might come.

 

"Hahaha," she laughed in a satisfied voice. A faint glow emitted from the center of her necklace tattoo, and with the snap of her fingers, that glow became an overpowering burst of light. 
"What!!!!" I exclaimed as I stumbled back. The red burst of light consumed me; I lost my vision, and my consciousness soon followed.

 

I was awoken to a sickness in my stomach, a haze in my vision, and a dizziness dulling my senses. The sound of a bustling line also greeted me, to my surprise, the machine-like aura of the airport denizens was lifted. I checked directly behind me, and the door, no, the WHOLE hallway, was gone, replaced by a wall. 
"What the....," my shock was also dulling my common sense. I turned back around to reclaim my spot in the security line, attributing this whole ordeal to a freak accident, or dream or something. 
One minor detail passed by me due to my brain being completely out of whack after waking up. 
At eye level, I was at the height of summer sandals!
"What....no...this can't be possible," I tried to console myself. 
"I know, this is a dream inside of dream. I must have hit my head or something on the door frame when I was walking into that room with the security lady. 
"Nope, nope, nope nope nope," I spoke aloud, no one hearing me. 
I pinched myself, hoping to wake up, but the sad messenger of pain hit me, alerting me that this was probably NOT a dream.
"What am I gonna do.... I have to find someone to help me....," a pool of scenarios descended on me, several involved me escaping, getting stepped on, and being dissected. 
"Okay I just need to find someone I can trust," I tried to assure myself.
As if on queue, a familiar voice stood out from the crowd. 
"And here's my boarding pass.....," a tall girl with long, shiny black hair stated. This girl began to remove her red sandals, revealing her cream colored feet, and placed them along with her carry-on on the security conveyor belt.
"Lexi!" I thought happily. 
"If I can get to her and grab her attention, I should be safe," I thought, now more optimistic of my situation. 
I began to run as fast as I could, hoping that my sprinting abilities hadn't gone along with my height. I managed to get close to her snow white skyscraper legs while she was walking out of the metal detector. I tried not to lose my footing whilst experiencing the tremors of her footsteps, and did my best to avoid the bustling crowd behind me. Dirt and sock lint clung to the back of her soles as I chased her, and her toes didn't fail to match with the rest of her clothes, being painted a bright red. A harsh, putrid smell hit me like a wall as I got closer. 
"Gross!" I thought. Lexi seriously needed to work on showering more often, not only did her feet look dirty, but they smelled twice as bad. A tremor larger than the rest knocked me off my feet, alerting me that she had grabbed her carry on bag and shoes. She placed her bag to the right of her on the ground whilst adorning her flip-flops. 
Knowing that it was better to stick with her and wait for an opportunity than to try to get her attention here. 
With wind racing past my head, the dust in the air creating a miniature sand storm, I raced towards the red purse. I hopped on, and the cool feel of leather rubbed on my skin. The smell of cinnamon gum emanated from the opening in the purse, and I managed to climb my way up. I jumped in the purse, and began waiting.