- Text Size +

I hadn’t seen Alex in years! We decided to go grab some coffee and catch up instead of just walking him back to his room. It was so good to see him, I missed his messy brown hair, his toothy grin, his goofy laugh... The years of being friends in high school came rushing back. And so did the feelings. I had a crush on him then, and apparently I still did. I never acted on those feelings because by the time I had worked up the courage I knew he'd be away to college before we could have anything meaningful outside our friendship.

 

I sat opposite of him on the pillow-like cushion. Ascended women had grown (heh) to realize very quickly that always looking down to their male peers was not very comfortable. Over time the most comfortable way to sit became these small flat-ish pillow-beanbag hybrid things. You would sit indian style on one on the floor and you'd be close to the same height as a man, or non-ascended woman, in a chair. Alex was in a chair opposite of me and it was still possible for me to look him in the eye.

 

I sat quietly as he told me what he was doing at 25, graduated and still living on campus, this naturally led to his ex. I was shocked, it wasn't uncommon for a newly ascended woman to have feelings of superiority, but what this Emily had done was just a bitch move! There was no excuse, even ascending, that could justify what she had done to Alex. He finished his story, I could tell it hurt to talk about. He wasn't destroyed, but it was definitely opening old wounds.

 

I stood up without saying anything, and stepped over to his chair.

 

He turned to face me, “Addy what are yo-” I cut him off by lifting him out of his seat into a bear hug. He was so light! I just wanted to hold him there forever, but we were in public, so I set him down and gave him a soft smile.

 

“You needed a hug.” I said warmly.

 

He sighed, then leaned into me burying his face in my bare upper thigh, wrapping his arms around my legs, “God I missed you.”

 

I felt my face flush when I heard that.

 

He got back to his seat as I collapsed back onto mine. “So, now that you know what I’ve been up to, how has your life been treating you?” he asked, obviously trying to lighten the mood.

 

“You remember how I was on varsity by 16 with volleyball?” I asked. “Well I started getting scouted my junior year, right around the time when most girls sports started to move toward ascended only players. I must have done something right because they wanted to give me a full ride scholarship on the agreement that I take G429 treatments which they also paid for!”

“Wow Addison, that's really awesome.” He said with a genuine smile, “How did you take the whole process? I've heard stories from only a few girls, and it always seems to differ.”

 

“Well it was kinda like a second puberty, I was really awkward and I felt claustrophobic inside most buildings for a while when I first started growing.” I paused thinking, then exclaimed proudly” Oh yeah! And I had to hold back for a while during volleyball, sometimes my spikes could break part of the gym floor, well before they re-enforced them for ascended players anyway.”

 

“Holy shit,” he laughed looking shocked, “should I be scared of you?”

 

“Maybe a little”, I thought wryly, my head turning to dirty thoughts involving him. I shook my head, mostly to clear my mind, but also to respond. “Nope, still your same old Addy, just a while lot more of me.” I said with a smile.

 

“Glad to hear that,” he said grinning, “But are you happy with it overall, you don't regret it do you? I mean you were always good looking, but now... I mean look at you! You're stunning!” He exclaimed.

 

My heart nearly leaped out of my chest, I fought the heat rising to my cheeks. Two can play at that game I though with an inward smile. Thanking myself for taking my hoodie off, leaving only my tank on.


I reached out not very far (well, for me) and grabbed his hand on top of the table “Thanks Al, it really means a lot to hear you say that. And no, I don't regret it one bit. I love being big, but the process was embarrassing at times.”

“I can imagine.”

“You have NO idea, one time just after changing into our volleyball uniforms my boobs broke my freaking sports bra, right in front of the freshman class waiting on their gym teacher. Luckily I had my shirt on, but the girls aren't exactly covert.” I gestured to my chest, shrugging my shoulders for effect. Knowing full well the pleasant wobble that would send through it.

 

I glanced back up at Alex, “Yeah, they had about the same face you've got right now!” I finished with a smirk.

 

“I- uh I, sorry” His face was crimson and he looked down, suddenly incredibly interested in his empty coffee cup.

I giggled, “Relax Alex, I'm only teasing you,” and I waited for him to stop tensing up. “But they did have that same look.”

 

If it was at all possible his face turned a darker shade of red as I giggled again.

 

***

We spent several hours at the coffee shop, we eventually got kicked out because they were closing. I had such a nice time catching up with Alex, and I think he felt the same. We walked back to his dorm through the cold night air. I had my hoodie folded in my arms as I slowly (for me anyway) walked along side him.

 

One of the benefits of the G429 was it made women much tougher along with the increase in height. I very rarely got cold anymore, even though it was winter I could be outside in shorts and a light t shirt. I loved it. Alex on the other hand was bundled up in a warm jacket with jeans.

 

We reached his dorm and I watched him gawk as I had to bend over double just to look through his doorway. We decided that I probably wouldn't fit in his little abode so we said goodbye outside.

 

“It was really great seeing you Addy,” He smiled up at me, “Thanks for listening”


“Oh no little guy, the pleasure was mine,” I squatted and pulled him in for a hug. He was so much smaller than I remember him being all those years ago. Of course it was me who was bigger, he was still just over six foot, and while the little boyishness he had had in high school was gone, he had definitely become a handsome man. As we pulled apart I kept my hand on his shoulder and looked down at his face.

 

“Say Alex, would you want to come out to town with me Friday for drinks?” I asked him, my heart pounding a little too fast waiting for his response.

 

He smiled, looked me in the eyes and said “Nothing would make me happier.”