- Text Size +

Zoe leaned against the side of the now abandoned science block. The pebble coated surface was warm against the palms of her hands as she basked in the fading afternoon sun. Its rays filtered through her blonde bangs, painting splotches of red and orange across her closed eyes.

Her legs stretched out across the narrow sidewalk; her pale, sandal clad feet bright against the short black leggings that covered the tops of her legs. Dressed in a white and green summer dress and with a pair of oversized sunglasses atop her head she was a vision of carefree summer joy against the grim grey building behind her.

Had anyone been travelling along the short lane between the now empty faculty parking lot and the gymnasium they could have, upon close inspection, detected an air of apprehension about the petite freshman. Her fingers tapped nervously against the stone wall and her eyes, upon hearing the slightest of sounds, would snap open and glance furtively towards the far end of the lane.

She shouldn’t be worried, she scolded herself, Jess had assured her everything would be fine. The popular senior had taken an inexplicable shine to her several months back, joining her out of the blue for lunch in the mall. Since then they had bonded over social media, exchanging instant messages late into the night, forming a tight bond. It was this bond coupled with the undeniable advantage that being friends with a senior would afford a freshman that led Zoe to go along with Jess’ strange request.

Once again she cast her eyes to either end of the backstreet and, after ascertaining that the coast was still clear, guiltily withdrew the bottle she had been given from the small tan bag that was slung across one shoulder. The bottle fit snugly in her fingers. It was made of deep blue glass and sealed with a small cork stopper. Within its rectangular confines a shimmering liquid span and danced as she turned it back and forth.

It was drugs, it had to be. She knew she shouldn’t be doing this; her mom would kill her if she found out. Jess had assured her that it was ok, that she could trust her that nothing bad would happen. Zoe had instantly regretted agreeing to help her new friend but knew it would be social suicide to refuse. She hoped it would be over soon and that whatever this stuff would do it wouldn’t get her into trouble. It was a prank, she assured herself, and the seniors always played pranks on each other so there was nothing to worry about. Jay would see the funny side of it, Jess had promised.

As if on cue Jay’s voice broke the peace of the early evening. The athlete laughed as he rounded the corner, one arm thrown up pulling his red jersey across his toned chest. Zoe felt a flutter of nerves in her chest, he was not alone. Shaun strode beside him, animated and gesticulating wild as he regaled his friend with another ludicrous tale.  Jess had told her that Jay always walked this way home from practice on Thursday nights which is why it had been chosen as the perfect place to set their trap.

She had not counted on him having company though. How would Shaun react to seeing his friend covered in this stuff? Even worse, if it did what Jess had joked it would do, there was no telling what the hulking football player would do. Would he panic or call the cops? What if he didn’t believe her that it was harmless? What if she took him to where Jess was waiting and her friend wasn’t there. No, it wouldn’t come to that. Even if it did Jess wouldn’t betray her, she wouldn’t let her take the fall.

She would have to separate them; this would only work if Jay was alone with her. Shamelessly she would have to use those that god gave her to lure the senior away. She didn’t like to admit it but she knew she was pretty, she had always received admiring looks from guys around school and she was sure Jay had seen her before. Hopefully it would be enough to get him away from Shaun.

She stepped away from the wall and flipped her sunglasses over her eyes. ‘Hey,’ she called, skipping forwards, ‘Jay, you got a minute?’

The two men were startled by her seemingly magical apparition, so engrossed in their conversation they had been that she had gone unnoticed. ‘Um sure, I guess.’ He looked to Shaun who shrugged and then back to the girl that addressed him. She was a freshman however one that stood out among this year’s newbies. He had seen her before once or twice and had to admit she was kinda cute. His recent breakup had been rough so perhaps the girl that stood before him, balancing eagerly on her tip toes, would be a welcome distraction.

‘Err sorry to be weird,’ Zoe bit her lip seductively and cast a glance towards Shaun, ‘but could we talk, y’know, just the two of us?’

The football player laughed raucously and threw up his hands. ‘Sure thing miss,’ he bowed theatrically, ‘be my guest. I’ll catch you later Jay.’

‘You sure?’ Jay grinned, feigning reluctance to go with the girl, ‘I thought it was bros before hoes?’

‘Whatever man, I’ll see you tomorrow.’ Shaun slung his bag over his shoulder and turned his back on them, striding along the short lane before disappearing down the alley that connected it to the next street.

Jay turned his smile back to the waiting girl, ‘Hey, you’re um Chloe right?’

‘Zoe’ she corrected warmly.

‘Zoe, yeah , right, um what can I do for you?’

Zoe stepped in close, removing her shades to stare up at the tall senior with brilliant blue eyes. Her voice became a sultry whisper, ‘I’d rather tell you somewhere more private. I’ve got something to show you.’ Her pink lips curled into a devilish smirk.

Jay couldn’t believe his luck and failed to stifle a surprised laugh. He had always been a hit with the girls at school but to have one stop him in the street, a freshman no less, and offer herself up like this? Well, he couldn’t deny that he found her direct and dominant approach a welcome and very erotic change.

‘Sure’, he smiled, running his hand over his head, ‘where’d you have in mind?’

Without a word Zoe took hold of his hand and pulled him back towards the featureless science block. There was a recess a few feet away where the buildings opened up to allow access to the campus. The gate would be locked now but it would be the perfect place away from any prying eyes. Zoe couldn’t believe her luck. Maybe after this, if he wasn’t too mad, they could try this for real.

‘Ok,’ Jay laughed, still a little taken aback by the unforeseen turn of events. Zoe released his hand and as they neared the wall and disappeared into the shadow behind the building, trailing a hand playfully along the wall behind her. Jay looked around, ensuring the coast was clear, and then dipped into the shadow hung space.

Zoe stood with her back to the tall, steel gate. A small, rectangular object glowed blue in her fingertips, highlighting the mischievous grin that spread across her face. A heavy peppermint aroma hung in the air, instantly numbing his senses.

‘Surprise!’ she cried and threw the iridescent contents towards him. Jay didn’t have time to call out in alarm, the effect was instantaneous. His vision swam, heat flooding his body that felt like liquid swirling into a drain. He fell to his knees, his mind desperately trying to hold a cohesive though together. The palms of his hands slapped roughly onto cold concrete before his sight slipped away into darkness.

‘Oh my god, oh my god,’ Zoe clasped her hands to her face as the man before her dwindled in height, clothes and all. That heavy peppermint smell wafted out of the unstopped bottle and snuck into her nostrils. ‘Shit,’ she gasped, pulling it away from her face. There was still almost a third left, fluttering excitedly within the sapphire rectangle. She replaced the stopper and slipped the vial back into her bag before looking down at the now miniscule Jay.

He lay still and unmoving by her foot. She tried not to panic, she couldn’t believe this actually worked but now had to trust that Jess had told her the truth. It would not hurt him; just make him small for a little while. All she had to do was to throw it on him then bring him to the fire escape behind the gym where Jess would be waiting for her. They would have a bit of fun, mess with Jay and then tomorrow they could all laugh about it. She would then have some serious questions about what on earth could make someone shrink.

A small groan rose from the tiny man before her. He lay on his side, one arm stretched out towards her. She couldn’t believe that seconds ago he had been a 6.6 senior and now, well. Zoe inched her sandaled foot towards him, her toes flexing with excitement. The marvelled at the difference in size, Jay was now half an inch, an inch max. She settled her foot next to him. At this size she could have squashed him like a bug.

 

Jay’s world span into view, a shifting mass of blurred lines collapsing together to reveal a strange and alien landscape. He lay on his side, his skin pressing against a cold and unyielding surface. Something heavy rumbled nearby. His stomach churned, bile rising to his throat. He coughed, his head pounding. His hands itched at his sides, dragging across the floor. With great effort Jay rolled onto his back, blinked fatigue from his eyes and screamed.

A giant hand reached down from the sky above him. He had barely managed to scramble to his feet before it slammed into him. Fingers, each longer and wider than his entire body swallowed him, enveloping him in a warm, dark prison of flesh. His mind boggled, struggling to find any sliver of sense as he was drawn upwards. He was almost sick, his body falling heavily against the impossible wall of flesh.

He was thrown again as his upward journey ended, falling to his hands and knees. Around him the fingers opened. The light dazzled him, causing him to shield his eyes with his hands. He felt the voice vibrate through him, ‘Oh my god!’

Jay drew his hands away reluctantly. The world before him was filled with a massive face that brimmed with excitement. ‘Zoe,’ he stammered, his mind racing, ‘Zoe, wh-what the fuck?’ He tried to stand but Zoe tilted her hand causing him to stagger sideways. Her giggle was like thunder.

‘Oh my god,’ she repeated. She frowned at the small creature that panicked in her palm, ‘this is amazing! You’re so tiny.’ She tilted her hand again, sending jay squeaking towards her fingers. ‘Gah, I really wish I didn’t have to give you to Jess.’

The bottom fell out of Jay’s already skewed reality. A cold fear drowned him at the mention of Jess’ name. His ex’s best friend was a psycho. She hated him. He didn’t know why but she always had done. He guessed at jealousy but had never seen it twist someone the way it corrupted Jess. Even after his relationship ended she had continued to loathe him. She would have been more vocal about it if not for his own formidable popularity. He had tried to bridge the gap for the sake of the social group but the gulf between them was a schism Jess was all too happy to deepen. 

And now this giant freshman was going to deliver him right to her. He was a dead man. Jay cried her name as her fingers closed around him once again.

Zoe dropped the hand containing Jay to her hip. She loved the way his little body weighed nothing. It was a strange sensation, strange upon strange considering she held a tiny man in her fist. He fought against her grip but at that size his struggles were nothing more than feather strokes. Her phone buzzed as she withdrew it from her bag. Jess was getting impatient; she had missed a call already.

‘Where R U? Do U have him? X’

She replied saying she was on her way then dropped her phone back into the bag. Jay followed it, beating against her fingers stubbornly as she sealed him in one of the pockets.

This was weird but her status within the group was a sure thing. She smiled to herself as she stepped from the shadows and made for where Jess waited behind the gym.