- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Set in the Starz television series Black Sails fictional world

Harland Reed sat on the ground, blindfolded and bound tightly to a tree, somewhere outside of Nassau. He knew not where. Struggling against his bonds for at least the hundredth time, he hoped that perhaps now he was small enough to slip through and seek help from someone. No use. Harland had tried to cheat Eleanor Guthrie, iron ruler of the Nassau pirate trade, and now he was suffering her increasingly frequent wrath. Ms. Guthrie had always employed many methods of corporal punishment, but in the last few years she had moved from public displays of pain (or worse) to a far more sinister sentence – a shrinking liquid recently brought back as treasure from an expedition to Guinea.

 

Not too uncommonly, residents of Nassau would find evidence of those foolish enough to cross Eleanor. A mangled, finger sized splat of gore on the streets here. A three inch skeleton found in an obscure hiding place there. One famous legend told of a young girl who came home to find her mother with the family cat... a half eaten corpse dangling from the still-chewing animal's maw.

 

Deep down, Harland knew there was no good end to this. Even if nature itself didn't intervene, no one would dare cross Ms. Guthrie by aiding someone who had drawn her ire. He sensed the light through his blindfold dimming. Tired as he was, the feeling he knew strongest now was resignation. Leaning his head back, he drifted off, hoping he might be lucky enough to never wake again and be forced to face the horrors of life at a few inches tall.

 

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

 

 

Ms. Barlow was riding home in her horse-drawn carriage, fresh from a run to town for supplies. She lived far from the outskirts of Nassau, which suited her just fine. A proper Englishwoman, she had little use for the types that the pirate haven attracted. Of course, she did get lonely on the island, but aside from a few occasional visitors to her home, she preferred the company of books regardless. She had been contemplating what to read this night, when she came across a most curious sight shortly after the sun began to set.

 

She halted the horses and slowly climbed out of the carriage, moving cautiously towards the small boy who was tied, rather thoroughly, to a tree not far from the side of the road. He did not appear to be moving or aware of her presence, but he was breathing. Upon closer inspection, Ms. Barlow noticed the stubble on his face and realized that despite his size this was actually a very small young man. It did not take her long to connect the dots. Her mind was racing, but she reached out and gently lifted the blindfold over his eyes. Oh, he is quite cute - is he not? She thought. She shook the man's shoulder a bit. “Young man?”

 

Harland jolted awake, his eyes focusing on the figure looming before him. She was huge. Middle aged, perhaps forty.. and stunning. Long brown hair, light brown skin and deep brown eyes. A kind but beautiful face. Harland's eyes were inadvertantly drawn to her gaping cleavage, two large breasts practically begging to be freed from the low cut dress the woman had on. His gaze lingered for a moment before he realized she was obviously looking right at him. His eyes moved back up to a knowing smile on the woman's face. His senses returned.

 

“I.. I'm shrinking! Please ma'am, I need help!!” Harland croaked out, panicked but hopeful. The woman looked so kind...

 

“You poor thing, I can see that. Just relax and let me get you out of these bonds. Small as you are, I think you might almost be able to wriggle out of them on your own. Here.” With little effort, Ms. Barlow had Harland free from the tree. “I am Ms. Barlow. Come now, little one, and we'll get this sorted out. It's barbaric how Ms. Guthrie operates here. I'm sure the effects of.. well, whatever it is, will wear off given enough time. I'll see you safe until then.” She stood up and offered Harland a warm smile and a hand. He took it, shocked to see his hand then become completely engulfed as he was gently hauled to his feet. He did not even come up to the woman's waist. She gestured toward the road. “There's not much room in my carriage, but at your size.. I just came from town and I have bread and water. It's just a short way to my home, let's try to get there before dark, yes? What is your name, young man?”

 

“Harland, ma'am. I..” Harland struggled to arrange his thousand and one thoughts into words. “I knew I was dead. I would be eaten, or starve, or...” He was grateful. So grateful. He took her hand with both of his, and kissed it. “Men such as I don't deserve angels. Thank you.”

 

Her laugh surprised him. “Angel? Oh my, Harland. I am no angel. Still, I would see you safe.” She stepped up into the seat of her carriage. Harland wasn't sure if Ms. Barlow wanted him in the back with the cargo, or.. “Well? Climb up the step and I'll help you get in.” He did, and she lifted him easily, settling him right onto her lap. Harland thought he may have been even smaller than just a few moments ago. Ms. Barlow set the horses in motion. This close, Harland could not help but notice an incredibly strong musk emanating from her. He was unsure if this was due to his size or simply the woman having such a scent, but he of course said nothing. After all, if she lived this far out she had certainly been in the sweltering heat and humidity all day.

 

Perhaps twenty minutes later, they came upon a small house surrounded by plots of vegetable and fruit gardens. “Here we are.” Ms. Barlow stated. Harland looked up at her, surprised again at her beauty.

 

“You live alone?” He asked.

 

“Mostly. My husband is.. well, it's complicated. He is a man of politics before passion for women, I suppose you could say. I love him still. But he is away, for now. Let's go inside and I shall prepare a meal.”

 

Over the hours, with Ms. Barlow preparing a soup, they talked of many things as Harland continued to dwindle quite rapidly. While it became apparent to him that Ms. Barlow had no love for pirates, he suspected she cared perhaps even less for Ms. Guthrie and she never inquired as to what his “crime” against her may have been. He was glad for that. Better to focus on his future than dwell on the past.

 

By the time the meal was ready. Harland had apparently received the full effect of the shrink flask. He ate the soup out of a spoon which Ms. Barlow set out for him, and then went to work on a small hunk of bread she had torn off. Harland was slightly unnerved by the fact that she was spending a large amount of time simply observing him with a faint smile on her face. He wondered what may have been going through her mind, if there were thoughts unspoken shuffling about in there.

 

“Well, little one, it seems you are safe from further diminishing at this point, wouldn't you say? Half a hand tall and all. Perhaps we should retire for the night.” She looked down at him. “I'll carry you to the room, if it's all right?” Harland knew there was no other option and assented.

 

Ms. Barlow set him on the dresser next to her bed. “Be right back.” She said. Returning with a pair of scissors, she cut some fabric from her sheets and set it down next to him. “You'll be sleeping right next to me. Cry out to me if you need anything during the night. At least I can hear you well, still.” She smiled comfortingly at him again. Harland knew Ms. Barlow was old enough to be his mother, but in his current situation he found it difficult not to be enthralled by her. “Goodnight, little Harland.” She stroked a finger gently against his cheek. He leaned his face into her warm touch without a second thought, again disbelieving that he had been saved from such an end.

 

“Goodnight.” He responded. My angel.

 

It would be the last time Harland would use that word for her.

 

Chapter End Notes:

I am rushing this story a bit so I'm sure it will be missing more exposition than I'd like but hopefully the quality of the story doesn't suffer much for it.  thank you for reading!