- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
In this chapter, Kai and Jenna get off on the wrong foot. Enjoy :)
_____________________________

"Hey girls! Kai finally arrived and lets just say you'll be surprised when you see him!" Jenna giggles, blocking their view of me from in front of the door.

I can hear the rustling of bags from across the room. Jenna steps aside to reveal me to the two girls.

Celeste is the first to react, with a shocked expression and a hand over her mouth in surprise. She is smaller than Jenna, the top of her head reaching Jenna's eyes at 5'9". She has a very smooth complexion and her body is more curvaceous than Jenna's at a glance. Celeste's eyes are a soothing blue and her blonde hair is shoulder-length. The pale brown freckles on her face make her look younger than she is.

Yasmine on the other hand stands at around 5'2", barely reaching Jenna's shoulders. She has flowing brown hair and light blue eyes, with the most beautiful complexion out of the three of them. Her body is more athletic and toned than the other two. Yasmine immediately strikes me as the kindest of the girls because of the way she smiled sympathetically upon seeing me. Her eyebrows furrowed into a look a girl would give to a small helpless kitten.

"H-Hi... Wow... how tall are you?" Celeste asks, her eyes wide and inspecting.

"I'm 1' tall." I reply confidently, getting used to answering the same question.

She steps up close to me, her jeans almost brushing my head. Then Yasmine walks up to me and kneels down, offering me two fingers in a hand-shaking gesture.

Her gesture takes me by surprise, and she even keeps her distance from me instead of stepping right in my face.

"Hey Kai, it's nice to meet you." She smiles warmly, shaking my hand.

"You too. You guys weren't half as surprised as Jenna when she saw me." I joke, relieved by their reactions.

"What do you mean? I was totally fine!" Jenna shouts in defence.

"Hello? A-Are you Kai?" I mimic Jenna's reaction, eliciting a fit of giggles from Celeste and Yasmine.

Jenna however was not impressed and remained silent for the next few minutes.

Yasmine looks awkwardly between me and Jenna, but doesn't say anything.

Celeste walks over to shut the door and returns to tell us what food they bought.

"Ok, we got pizza for the first few days and then we got a bunch of other stuff to last us the week. Is everyone hungry?" She asks, receiving a resounding 'yes' from the three of us.

"Me and Celeste will cook the pizzas, so you guys just relax while we get it ready. We can all sit in the lounge area and talk about stuff while we eat, sound good?" Yasmine decides, receiving nods from everyone.

I admire how positive Yasmine is, even when Jenna is killing the mood with her easily offended personality.

Seeing as I won't be much help in the kitchen, I head towards Shaun's room to see what he is doing and to tell him about the food.

I'm about to knock on his door when I hear Jenna's voice from behind me.

"Kai, can we talk in here a second?" She asks, standing at the door to the bathroom opposite Shaun's room.

What could she possibly have to talk to me about? Why especially has she chosen the bathroom of all places.

Raising my eyebrows and nodding, I walk in after her, the door clicking shut behind me.

Jenna starts off in a quiet whisper, crouching down so that she is lower down for me to hear.

"Kai, listen, if you make me fun of me again, we're going to have a problem." She whispers harshly, her expression is emotionless.

"Um... sorry Jenna, I really didn't mean to make fun of you." I answer sincerely.

She's leaning so close to me that I can smell her perfume, as it seems to envelope my senses.

"I don't care. Besides. If you do it again, I might not be so kind." She threatens, before straightening up, towering over me and strutting confidently out of the bathroom, her foot narrowly missing me on the way out.

I gasp, realising I had been holding my breath for a while.

That was unexpected. Should I tell someone about this? Maybe I should see how things go before making any big decisions.

Going ahead with my original plans, I knock on Shaun's door and he opens it on the other side.

"Oh hey." He says, standing back from the opening.

"Hey, I came to tell you we're having pizza soon, we're all eating in the lounge area." I tell him, whilst peering past him to see that he has already set up his computer.

"Uhh... sure ok, I'll be right out." Shaun answers. He seems quite greatful to be asked, although he also seems reluctant to agree.

Looking to my left, I can see Jenna and Celeste laughing with each other near the kitchen, while Yasmine is gathering knives, forks and plates for everyone.

I feel a deep sense of sympathy for her, seeing as she is the only one working while everyone else goes about their own business.

Even though there is not much I could help with, I decide to ask, in the hopes that she feels greatful for being thought of.

"Hi Yasmine, do you need any help?" I ask, approaching her.

"Hey Kai, thanks for asking, ummm, I suppose you could help with the coasters... what do you think?" She questions, holding a stack of five coasters in her hand and staring inquisitively at me.

"Sure, just set them down and I'll take them over to the table for you." I reply, glad to be of assisstance. Thankful that the task isn't too hard.

"Thank you Kai." She smiles, appreciative of my help.

Picking up the stack of coasters, I head towards the lounge area, having to walk through the middle of Celeste and Jenna.

After managing to place all five coasters on top of the table, there is a loud ding from the kitchen, indicating the last pizza is ready.

The girls all crowd around the pizzas laid out on the kitchen counter, while Yasmine distributes them to everyone on a clean plate.

Shaun arrives moments later, but instead, he lingers at the lounge area waiting for the girls to get their pizzas first.

I climb on top of the sofa which is against the wall adjacent to the TV and wait for Yasmine to bring the pizza over, since I'm most likely sharing with her.

Eventually Shaun, Celeste, Yasmine and Jenna all have their food.

Yasmine sits to my right with her legs tucked into her body and her pizza box balanced on the armrest. Meanwhile Celeste and Shaun occupy the first sofa, with Shaun glancing shyly away from where she is sitting.

Jenna resorted to sitting beside me on my left in the same fashion as Yasmine.

Everyone is occupied eating their food, before Yasmine starts up conversation between us all, thankfully breaking the ice.

"So what classes do you guys have?" She asks indirectly, through small bites of her pizza.

Jenna answers first, raising her voice slightly above Yasmine's and speaking confidently, with her signature self-assured smile.

"Well I'll be taking Art and Biology. I know it's not much but I do lots of running and stuff aswell which would take up a lot of time." Jenna explains excitedly.

Yasmine is the next to tell us her subjects of choice. Celeste seems to be listening intently to what everyone is saying while Shaun seems to have zoned out. Much like I would when my mom and my sister used to talk about things I didn't care about.

"I'll be taking Psychology, Art and also Math. Plus I play soccer frequently too." Yasmine informs us. To my relief, I realise that someone I know will be in the same class as me.

"I'm taking Psychology too Yasmine, I guess that's pretty cool." I comment, trying to hide my joy.

"Oh thank god you two are in my classes, maybe it won't be so tough with you guys around." Yasmine observes with a relieved sigh.

"Well, Celeste is taking Art too. We chose the same classes as each other." Jenna adds, receiving a confirming nod from Celeste.

Meanwhile Shaun is gazing into space seemingly lost in his own world. I feel sorry for him because he's probably hating this right now. Seeing it from his perspective, he is stuck in an appartment with three girls who are all way out of his league and on top of that the only other guy is 1 foot tall.

Everyone glances towards Shaun at the same time, seeing as he has not made an input yet. He realises after a few seconds and sits up nervously grabbing the armrest.

I see Jenna look away in frustration, for whatever reason. Instead, I decide to help him out if I can.

"What about you Shaun?" I ask, prompting an answer from him, gently so that he doesn't feel too under pressure.

"Oh um... I'm taking computer programming and game design." He quickly mumbles, obviously feeling uncomfortable after being interrupted from his thoughts.

Yasmine is the first to answer, completely untroubled by his shyness.

"Awesome, you'll have to teach me a thing or two about computer programming Shaun." She laughs, encouraging a goofy smile from him.

I'm beginning to grow more comfortable with Yasmine than anyone I've met before thanks to her positive attitude. While on the other hand Jenna seems to be the opposite and I've never actually spoken directly to Celeste.

The conversation continues on in the same pattern for about an hour, until the topic about my height is brought up by Celeste, their curiosity finally getting the better of them.

"So Kai, I don't mean to offend you or anything but how did you get so small?" She asks, her eyes full of curiosity as everyone turns to face me, obviously wondering the same thing.

"Well, there's no actual explanation as to how I was born so small, but there was apparently some mix up with my genes which made me this height. There is nothing else wrong with me other than being only 1 foot tall. The plus sides to being this small are that I can fall from higher heights and fit into small places." Everyone laughs at my final comment, while their curiosity is sated.

Yasmine once again takes the responsibility of starting the next topic of conversation. Everyone apart from Jenna seems happy with this. By now, we are all full on pizza and the strong smell of cheese and bread still circulates the air.

"Ok guys, I think we need to discuss room arrangements. Shaun already chose his room so that leaves us four." She gestures to me, herself, Jenna and Celeste.

I'm about to speak up to say that me and Yasmine should share the larger room, when Jenna drowns out my voice, effectively interrupting me.

"Well, I was thinking, I brought the most clothes and stuff... so maybe it would be best if I had the bigger room?" She asks, confident that everyone will agree.

"Does anyone have any problems with that?" Yasmine asks, glancing at Celeste who shakes her head and then at me.

"I do actually. I was going to suggest that maybe me and Yasmine shared the larger room, since I take up no space at all." I voice my opinion confidently, but one look at Jenna tells me it wasn't a good one, while Yasmine seems surprised at my idea.

"Hmmm... Well I do agree with Jenna on how she needs more space. Since me and Celeste are happy with the two smaller rooms, I think it would be sensible if you and Kai shared the larger room." Yasmine explains, her solution seems the most reasonable. "Also I'm sure Shaun would prefer his privacy since most of his work will be done here in the appartment." She concludes.

Shaun nods quickly to this statement, making it clear that he doesn't want someone sharing his room.

"What? I have to share a room with him?" Jenna asks, scrunching her eyebrows at me. "That's not fair at all, how come he can't sleep in your room Yasmine?" She adds, angered by the decision.

Secretly, I feel a childish excitement knowing that Jenna is not getting what she wants and I am the reason for it.

"I'm sorry Jenna, but it would be the best for Kai since he needs more access than any of us. The ensuite bathroom will really help him out." Yasmine assures her.

Celeste then feels the need to help out Yasmine, who is taking full responsibility of the decisions. While Shaun seems more amused than anything at the exchange going on.

"Jenna, it's fine! Think about it. Kai is only 1 foot tall and needs all the help he can get. We can figure something out I'm sure." Celeste reassures her friend, calming her down.

I feel helpless as these girls talk about my sleeping arrangements as if they know what is best for me. Ideally I would have shared a room with Yasmine, but Jenna... not so much. The giant blonde to my left is probably feeling just as helpless as me right now, although she is getting the room she wanted.

"Fine, fine! I'll do it, just... keep away from my stuff and everything should be good, deal?" Jenna asks, raising her eyebrows skeptically at me and assessing me with her sharp green eyes.

"Deal." I gulp, sealing my fate with her for the forseeable future.

Now that everything has been sorted on that front, Jenna is noticably more comfortable. Her selfish worries are taken care of for now.

Celeste stands up and fetches her suitcases, then heads into her room to unpack her clothes and belongings. Yasmine does the same in the room next to Celeste's room, the two of them hauling bags from the lounge through to the bedrooms.

Shaun disappeared back to his room a few minutes ago after clearing up the pizza boxes and now it's only me and Jenna left on the sofa. Myself having to endure some show Jenna enjoys, with nothing better to do.

Suddenly, Jenna shuffles closer to me, taking me by surprise. Something about her really annoys me and keeps me on edge, as her feet settle only inches from my legs.

"Ok Kai, listen up. I don't care how much you enjoy sleeping in the same room as me, but I will NOT put up with you if you try to pull anything, understand?" She whispers, doing the same routine as before.

Deciding to test the waters, I try a different response rather than a simple agreement.

"What if I don't?" I smile confidently in reply.

"Then I'll make sure to tell Yasmine about your little crush you have on her. I'm sure you wouldn't want things getting awkward." She grins knowingly, her eyes sparkling now that she has the upper hand.

What? How can she know from two hours of sitting here with us? Is it that obvious?

Not knowing how to reply to this, I'm forced to concede, although I never intended on messing with Jenna. She seems like the type of person who is no fun, but at the same time finds amusement in other people's worries and problems.

"Uhh... fine, I understand."

"Good. Now how about we get our things unpacked before it gets late. I might even help you out for being so good." Jenna suggests, her words nagging at the back of my mind.

'For being so good', why did she even say that? Also, there's no way I could do it without help, so now she's just teasing me.

For now, I decide not to make anything of it, since things are already tense between us.

We spend the next few hours unpacking with Celeste and Yasmine helping when they are done.

The entirety of my belongings consists of the bottom draw of the nightstand next to the bed. While Jenna's consists of the whole wardrobe and more. She managed to fill the sliding panel wardrobe and still have clothes and shoes left over. I was going to make a remark about this, but I thought better of it.

The bed in our room is opposite the door and the sliding wardrobe is to the left of the room, meaning it is easily accessible for Jenna. Meanwhile the nightstand is on the opposite side of the bed compared to the wardrobe.

After we finish unpacking, Jenna goes off to talk with Celeste, while I'm left in the room pondering where I will be sleeping.

My thoughts are running wild right now. Today has been so eventful and stressful in comparison to my usual life. I have no idea what to expect in the coming weekend. The main thing on my mind at the moment is the question of where I will actually be sleeping. At home, I had a small bed which accomodated my small body, but now there is only one double bed between me and Jenna.

The thought of having to sleep in the same bed as her is both scary and exciting. Most of all, I can't wait to see how she reacts to this.

I'm interrupted from my thoughts when Celeste skips into the room and sits on the bed, glancing down at me from high up. Her blonde hair swaying slightly as she kicks her legs.

"Kai, I was just talking to Jenna and Yasmine about going to a party... amd we were wondering if you'd like to come." She enquires, smiling at me.

"A party?" My thoughts go to the stories my mom and my sister told me about. "Sure." I answer, not passing up on the first opportunity.

"Sweet! It'll only be the four of us because Shaun is 'busy' apparently." She informs me whilst rolling her eyes. "Anyway, we're in the lounge watching a movie if you wanna come join us. There's popcorn!" She shouts as she skips out the door.

Her head peers around the side of the door again before I even have a chance to start walking.

"Oh yeah I forgot, the party is at one of the rich guys' appartments on the other side of the College, basically the penthouse." Celeste tells me excitedly, before disappearing again.

She seems to be the more energetic of the group, since she's always skipping and running around.

***

The carpet in the appartment is surprisingly comfortable to walk on, because usually I have trouble with uneven surfaces. It's like walking on very fluffy sand.

With my phone in hand, I jog towards the lounge to hopefully see a decent movie and eat some tasty popcorn.

As I make my way past Shaun's room, I can hear him talking from inside, most likely playing some game with his friends. I always wished I could play games like other people, because they look really fun. The problem is my hands are just not big enough to use a keyboard or a controller.

Jenna and Celeste are in the kitchen getting the popcorn while Yasmine is getting the movie set up.

I head over to her and she seems pleasantly surprised to see me, which brings a smile to my face.

"Hey Kai, we're just about to watch a movie, it's great to hear that you want to go to the party tomorrow, I'll make sure to keep you safe." She winks, basically promising to be my bodyguard for the night.

Climbing into the sofa facing the plasma TV, I set my phone down next to me and stretch away any tense muscles in my body.

Unfortunately, Yasmine sits on the other sofa instead of next to me as I had hoped she would. If I change seats it would look weird if I followed her over there, so I remain where I am.

To my added disappointment, Celeste then arrives, sitting next to Yasmine, leaving Jenna to take a seat beside me.

"Jenna, could you get me a bowl for me to eat my popcorn?" I ask, seeing as she is much more capable than me at getting it. The popcorn bag is way too big for me and also too far away to reach.

She narrows her eyes at me and sighs, before stomping into the kitchen only a few steps away.

When she returns, I smile at her, but she simply glares back at me.

As I reach to retrieve my phone, my hand is almost taken off as she lands directly on top of the phone. I just manage to pull my hand away quickly enough.

Confused and angry, I shout at her to stand up, hoping the phone is still ok.

Surely she knew it was there, since it was clearly visible in the light of the room; she also saw me reach for it.

"Jenna! You're sitting on my phone!" I shout, not receiving an immediate response.

"Oh! Sorry Kai I didn't see it." She apologises, standing up and scooping up the phone in her fingers to inspect it.

The others are watching intently as she inspects the phone.

To my relief, I notice that it's in the same condition as it was before. What happens next however, angers me and makes me want to lash out at Jenna.

"Oops! It's broken." She says simply, although she knows that in fact, it's perfectly fine.

"What do you mean it's-" I'm about to question what she means, when she places the tiny device (no bigger than her smallest nail) on the table and proceeds to crush it with her big toe.

"What are you doing!? It was completely fine!" I shout incredulously, waving my arms in the air and jumping to my feet.

"Kai... it was broken, I'm sorry..." She replies condescendingly, with a look of pity on her face.

I know for a fact she knew it wasn't broken.

"Kai, it's ok, it was an accident..." Yasmine jumps in trying to intervene.

Without thinking, I run up to Jenna's exposed leg and hit her repeatedly as hard as possible, my anger getting the better of me.

Jenna doesn't react, instead she stares blankly at me as I try to get revenge in any way possible for doing such a horrible thing. I'm sure I heard a giggle from Jenna when I started trying to punch her.

I give up after a few seconds, exhausted from my adrenaline rush, then Jenna flicks me in the stomach, knocking the wind out of me.

To Celeste and Yasmine, it looked like such a simple act compared to my swinging fists, but the pain was much stronger in comparison nonetheless.

"Kai! She said she was sorry..." Celeste calls over, shocked more by my reaction.

"Jenna, are you ok?" Yasmine asks, more for the sake of getting the situation over with than anything. Her tone suggests she is dissappointed by my outburst, but also dissapproving of Jenna for what she did.

"Yes I'm fine." Jenna replies, her voice calm and void of emotion, while she never takes her eyes off me. I notice that she's rubbing her thigh slightly with the pad of her finger from where I hit her.

Recovering from being winded, I try to voice my side of the argument which is the correct one. I have no idea why Jenna did that, but her quick smirk in my direction tells me she definitely meant it.

"The phone was fine! She-" But I'm cut off by Yasmine this time.

"Kai. It was an accident... you need to let it go." She says soothingly, her eyes pleading with me to end the argument.

With a sigh, I nod my head. Too embarassed and enfuriated, I decide to go to bed early, skipping the popcorn and the movie because I'm no longer in the mood.

***

My thoughts are running wild with anger and regret. Now I can't call my mom like I promised her I would. She'll probably think I forgot about her or something. Also I'll have to explain to my sister how my phone ended up breaking and that will worry them immensely.

All in all, the day turned out pretty bad. Jenna seems to have a personal vendetta against me, which makes me both nervous and for some reason excited. Maybe because I've never experienced anything like this, or because I somehow enjoy this challenge.

The walk back to my room feels long and painful, with images of the three girls talking about me behind my back flashing before my eyes.

Arriving at the room, I jump up onto the bed and find my way to the pillow, before crawling under the covers with my head sticking out the top.

I wipe all of the stressful thoughts and bad memories of the day from my mind in the hopes that tomorrow will be a fresh start.

As the sound of the movie across the appartment can be heard, I try my best to drift off to sleep. But memories of Jenna and the way she spoke to me and looked at me today prevent me from doing so.

The way she looked down at me and spoke to me sent chills down my spine. I lay there in bed for hours trying to get used to the soft fabric. Eventually I hear the movie end and the footsteps of the three girls as they make their way to their rooms...

___________________
Chapter End Notes:
Next chapters will start to pick up quickly. Thanks for reading :)