- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I plan on making this story more long-term than my previous two. Chapters will be updated and added as frequently as possible. In this chapter, we get to meet the main characters. Enjoy :) ~ WITS.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
______________________________

"Emma! I'm eighteen and you're still treating me like a three year old! I can't wait to leave this place so I don't have to put up with you for much longer." I shout through my bedroom door at my annoying sister.

"But Kai I'm gonna miss you so much! You're my little bro..." She replies with her best baby voice impression. I can just picture her smug face as she teases me.

"Argh! I'll be out in ten minutes and you better not lay a finger on me!" I warn her.

"Ok, but remember, we need to get you ready for Friday! Mom wants to talk to you in the kitchen." Emma informs me whilst giggling, her chirpy voice fueling my already pounding headache...

***

I'm Kai and by some freak of nature, I'm only one foot tall. I'm not a dwarf, but instead I look like an oversized human doll. My body is just as proportionate as any normal human being, but this just means I'm a lot smaller.

I live with my Sister and my Mom in a relatively small but occupying house.

My life has been pretty eventful up to now. When I was born I made the news for a few weeks, since I'm the first and only person to have this condition. Following my birth, my Dad left us, probably because he expected it would be stressful bringing up a child as small as me.

I've been homeschooled my whole life by my Mom since it was deemed too dangerous to throw me in with a bunch of kids at school. Most of my life has consisted of missed opportunities and disappointments.

My sister Emma is 21, has long black hair, is 5'8" tall and is a very intelligent girl, currently working her way up the ranks in some big software company. She's now the biggest earner in our home and she could probably afford her own house right now, but instead she chooses to stay at home helping me and my mom.

My mom Rachel is 39, blonde, 5'4" tall and works at a local supermarket. She has always been there for me and never grows tired of helping me out day after day.

She and my sister still treat me like a child every now and again even though I'm 18, much to my annoyance. But I guess it can't be helped, since I'll always be 1' tall.

I have never had any real friends other than my family. My mom and sister have looked after me throughout my lifetime and I owe them everything. Everyday tasks would be impossible without them.

Now I'm leaving for College in two days and it all seems like it's gone over so fast. The College is only 30 minutes from home which is helpful if my family ever want to visit me.

Being one foot tall is hard, but it comes with some advantages. For most of my life, I've been catered for by my family, meaning I rarely have to work or do anything to help anyone. Sometimes this fact gets me down, knowing that I'm useless in many ways.

I spend most of my days drawing and running around the house for hours, jumping from surface to surface, object to object.

Constantly having to crane my neck to look up at people is frustrating. Also, being face to face with people's knees and shins most of the time is just tiring and stressful.

People don't realise how demeaning it is when they walk right up to me so that I have to crane my neck. Anyone I meet for the first time will always stand directly over me looking down from above, because it's most comfortable for them.

I like to voice these complaints on a daily basis. My mom and my sister have grown accustomed to my complaining and they understand my frustration. At times however, my complaints don't go down so well with either of them.

The only incident in which I truly regretted ever voicing my annoyance was when my sister had had a particularly stressful day at work. All that day I had been watching TV when she came home from work.

She walked in and sat down next to me with a loud sigh and a hand to her forehead. Being bad at assessing these situations, I started a rant about how I couldn't reach the TV remote from on top of a shelf in the living room.

Emma didn't answer for the entirety of my rant and when I finished, she didn't look happy.

Without a word, she picked me up from under my arms with no effort at all. Stomping into the kitchen, she opened up a cabinet and locked me inside for an hour. I certainly learnt my lesson after that incident.

In general, most people treat me normally, but others can be different around me and sometimes talk to me like I'm a child. This bothers me to no end. Others talk down to me as though I'm not a normal person and these people anger me the most.

I always wish that one day I'll be able to experience life at a normal height.

Hopefully things will change when I go to College. To say I'm nervous about going would be an understatement. I have no idea if people will judge me, insult me or just try to ignore me completely. I've never been away from my mom and my sister since I was born.

This would be seen as a big step in anyone's life, but to me, it's ten times bigger.

***

Stepping out of my bedroom and into the hallway, I take a right towards the top of the stairs. The smell of breakfast lingers in the air, becoming heavier as I make my way downstairs.

I can hear my Mom and Emma talking in the kitchen when I enter. Of course they're talking about me going to College, as has been the case for the past Month or so.

"Morning sweetie!" Mom greets me with her signature smile. "I made you bacon and waffles, your favourite." She gestures towards the table where the heavenly smell is emanating from.

I'm going to miss being treated like this every morning.

Since I'm so small, Emma made me stairs up to the table. Instead of using a chair, I find it more practical to simply sit on top of the table.

Before I can even head towards the stairs, I'm lifted up from behind by the all familiar soft hands of my sister Emma. She expertly grasps my sides, massaging them at the same time.

It feels good to be carried like this, but I inwardly despise the simple action I specifically told her not to do anymore.

"Wow Kai, you should get yourself a girlfriend in no time! I can feel those muscles of yours from underneath your shirt." My sister remarks teasingly, as she places me on top of the table and moves my plate towards me.

Emma knows how to embarass me at just the right times. I was about to shout at her for picking me up without my permission, but now I don't feel like responding.

"Look Emma, how about instead of playing with me, you start helping me out a little more? I have today and tomorrow to prepare and I still have a lot to do." I answer, my voice failing to hide my stress.

"Of course! We have a Skype call with your soon-to-be roommates in two hours. I'll let you know when we have to call them." Emma informs me, dropping her typical sister act for now.

"Sure, whatever." I respond, not looking forward to it in the slightest. The thought of meeting the people I'll be living with for the next part of my life is nerve wracking.

With that, Emma leaves and my Mom walks over and sits down opposite me.

"How are you this morning?" She asks, sensing my stress and anxiety.

"I'm fine... just a little nervous." I answer while taking a bite out of a piece of bacon.

"You know your sister is just worried about you, she has always been there to look after you, but now... She can't do that anymore. If I were you I wouldn't let her get to you. She's been telling me how much she'll miss you when you go off to College." My Mom explains, reassuring me that Emma is simply getting over the fact that I'm leaving.

"I understand, I'll miss you guys too." I reply with a million questions lingering on the tip of my tongue.

"Do you have anything to ask me? Any worries or things you need to know?" She queries, sensing my trepidation.

"Yes actually... I have a lot of questions but I don't know where to start."

"Well, are you worrying about who you'll be living with?" She ponders, encouraging me to ask anything.

"Yeah, what if they want nothing to do with me?" I answer wearily, my mind filled with worry and doubt.

"Kai, people aren't that cruel, I'm sure they'll accept you for who you are. Anyway, I've heard you'll be living with 4 other people. You'll find out in a few hours who they are and I'm sure they'll be happy to see you. Just be yourself sweetie." She reassures me with a warm smile.

With renewed confidence I smile back, with one last question to ask.

"One more question, do they know how small I am?" Having to use the word 'small' to describe myself can be mentally exhausting, but I've mostly grown used to it.

"Sweetie, don't worry about that. The answer is no, but you can tell them in your own time. If not then they will find out eventually, but remember, if they do judge you for it then make sure you stay strong. Once they get to know you I'm sure you guys will get along well." Her words help in lifting the stress off of my shoulders.

***

After watching TV with my sister for a few hours, she announced that it was time to join the video call. She set up the laptop, tilted the camera at the right angle for me and then sat down beside me out of the cameras view.

Several calls later, everyone finally answered and I was greeted by four faces, one guy and three girls.

The first person to introduce themselves was Jenna, a girl with long blonde hair and captivating green eyes. I've never seen a girl as beautiful as her before. I instantly felt more at ease just looking at her.

"Hey guys! My name's Jenna and I just want to say I can't wait to meet you guys on Friday!" She exclaimed excitedly, her cheerful confidence instantly getting rid of any tension in the call.

The other three people consisted of a nervous looking guy with glasses who was sitting in the dark. Along with the two other girls, a long-haired brunette with blue eyes and a short-haired blonde girl with blue eyes.

I can't help but think that I've hit the jackpot with my roommates. All of them seem like pretty decent people, although the guy with the glasses hasn't spoken yet.

I introduce myself to everyone, telling them a little bit about myself, leaving out the part about my height.

In the next five minutes I find out that the brunette is called Yasmine and the other blonde girl is called Celeste. The conversation turned into the three girls all taking turns in asking me questions.

By the end of it, for some reason I found out that all of them are single.

When the excitement died down slightly, the quiet guy said hello and told us his name is Shaun. Everyone was happy to finally hear him speak after ten minutes.

Suddenly however, Jenna asked me the one thing I was dreading nobody would ask.

"So Kai, how tall are you?" Jenna asked whilst giggling, probably expecting me to say 6'3" or something along those lines.

I didn't know what to say, so I played it cool, leaving them in suspense.

"Haha, I guess you'll just have to wait until Friday." I reply, maintaining a confident smile in this situation.

"Well, I'm 6' so there aren't many people I know who are taller than me." She answers laughing.

Emma gives me a look of approval following my quick response, seemingly impressed by the attention these girls are giving me.

The conversation goes on for another hour with everyone telling each other what classes they have and stories about their life.

I will only be doing psychology twice a week since it would be too challenging for me to do more than that. It was more my family's choice than my own, simply because they had more experience and knew what I would be able to cope with.

Finally, the call is ended with each of us saying goodbye to one another.

I couldn't be more happy with how things worked out. I have what appears to be the best roommates I could have asked for. Three of which are girls I would only ever dream of having a chance with at my size. Now all I can do is hope that they don't judge me for being 1' tall.

Suddenly Emma grabs me up and hugs me to her chest. Despite previously hating this kind of attention, I embrace it because I just don't care right now.

"Oh I'm so proud of you Kai! You're going to have such a great time at College, I just know it!" Emma shouts excitedly, applying a little too much pressure with her soft arms.

My face is pressed forcefully against her modest C-cup breasts for more than ten seconds before she finally lets go, dropping me into her lap. Apparently it isn't seen as weird or clingy if I'm only the size of her forearm, as well as being her brother.

Regaining my balance, I smile up at her. This is the first time I've smiled in months and I've done it more than once today.

There is not much more I could ask for right now. My mind is at ease knowing that I will be living with amazing roommates.

The next step is getting everything organised, because the day after tomorrow is the day I start a new life.

______________________________
Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for reading! Let me know if I missed anything out in the introduction and leave a review. :)