- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
In this chapter, Kai meets Shaun and Jenna while he gets a tour of the appartment. Enjoy :)
_____________________

I'm awoken by a sudden loud noise in my ear.

"Wake up Kai! We gotta go in an hour!" Emma shouts, the same thing I did, except much louder.

I don't even react right away because I'm so dazed by how loud she was. Instead I take a few seconds to come to terms with the ringing in my ear, then I haul myself out of bed.

Emma is standing directly ahead of me, but in my sleepy haze, I walk right between her legs to pick up some clothes.

"Can you leave while I get changed please?" I ask, as kindly as possible in my current mood.

"Of course, let me know when you're ready, breakfast will be made for you in the kitchen. Come on Kai! Aren't you excited?" She asks energetically, hopping up and down.

"Yeah, sure, just give me a few minutes." I mumble back at her, still half asleep.

Following my rude awakening (although I had it coming), I throw on some clothes, a t-shirt and a pair of shorts.

After going about my morning routine, I sleepily stumble towards the door.

Once the light in the hallway hits my eyes, I feel much more awake than before. A feeling of nervous excitement rises up inside me and I can't tell if I'll be able to keep any food down this morning.

The smell of bacon however, is enough to put those feelings to one side for now.

Inside the kitchen, high above me, Emma is slaving away making me breakfast.

"Morning Emma, by the way, thanks for almost deafening me." I thank her sarcastically.

"You're welcome Kai." She answers cheerfully, completely unfazed by my comment.

"So... when are we leaving?" I question, mostly to keep the conversation flowing and my nerves at ease.

"Thirty minutes, so eat up quickly or we'll be late." She informs me, as she sits down opposite me, with a breakfast many times the size of mine.

"So, uh, when are you going to tell Mom about your boyfriend?" I ask bluntly.

"Shhh! Keep your voice down. I don't want her knowing yet, I'll text you when I decide to tell her ok?" She says in a hushed tone.

"Ok." I comply, not pressing the matter any further.

"I hope you're excited for College Kai, I checked the website and apparently you'll be staying in a new modern appartment. It looks bigger than this house and it's all one floor." Emma tells me, her tone of voice indicating that it's very impressive.

"Can I see it?" I wonder.

"My laptop is upstairs and it would take too long to start. You'll see it in about an hour anyway." She reasons.

***

After we finish talking and eating breakfast, Emma walks to the front door and my Mom heads downstairs to say goodbye to me.

I haven't left the house in weeks, since it's generally too risky for me to go out, as well as pointless.

When Emma heads outside to the car, my Mom kneels down to talk to me, with a proud smile on her face.

"Take care of yourself Kai, and make sure to have fun. Remember if you need anything you have your phone, and don't forget to call me or text me every day! Ok?" She reminds me, as her eyes start tearing up.

"Yes Mom, I'll make sure to-"

I'm cut off as she covers my entire face with her lips, giving me a very strong kiss.

It leaves me dazed for a few moments, but I'm snapped out of it by my mom's voice.

"Oops, sorry Kai. Don't let me stop you from leaving, haha." She laughs, as she cries a mothers' tears of happiness.

I feel a little awkward leaving her knowing that she's crying, but I guess this is what I expected.

Saying one final goodbye, I head outside towards the car with my sister waiting inside.

This is the part I dislike the most, since my sister makes me sit in her lap 'for my own safety'. It's not uncomfortable, but it's the way she laughs and the typically embarrassing situation which I hate.

"Let me help you in." She calls down from the driver's seat, holding out her arms to lift me up.

"No! Let me get in on my own." I tell her, determined not to receive any help.

I easily climb up to the seat and into her lap, happy that I did it without her needing to do anything.

"Ok, are you comfortable?" She asks me, before turning on the ignition.

The vibrations in the car cause me to bounce up and down slightly in her lap. The sensations are more enjoyable than anything, because it's surprisingly relaxing.

Emma drives off, beginning the journey to College.

Slowly but surely, I start to become more nervous as the drive goes on. Worried, doubtful thoughts begin to manifest in my mind once again.

In order to get rid of them, I rest my head against Emma's stomach, the warm and soft moving surface helping to calm me down.

Five minutes later, I feel the need to tell Emma, because no matter how hard I try, I simply can't get rid of these stressful thoughts.

"Emma, I'm nervous." I say timidly, preparing for her reaction.

"Huh? Now? But I thought you were over that." She replies, her tone suggesting she is now worried as well as disappointed.

"Well... I don't know, I guess I'm just waiting to see everyone's reaction." I explain, although now that I'm talking about it, the feeling is starting to dissipate.

"Kai, you have nothing to worry about, when they see you they are likely to be surprised, that's expected. You should be looking forward to their reaction instead of worrying about it, because after a while you will all get used to each other." Emma tells me, her words are caring and heartfelt.

This helps me understand my own perspective on the situation much more clearly. My worries and doubts are gone for now.

***

Finally, after what felt like the longest journey of my life, we pull up to the College. The main building appears prestigious and modern, while the appartment buildings off to the side are equally as eye catching.

Emma goes in to the reception area to sign me in, taking only a few minutes to get everything done while I wait in the car.

After this, she drives up to the appartment building I will be living in.

"This is it Kai." She sighs, flashing me a smile.

"Yup." I gulp in anticipation.

My legs suddenly feel very heavy and I can feel myself sweating out of nervousness.

"Ok, I'll open the door to the complex and then you're going to have to go in on your own. Your room is the second one down on the right, bottom floor." She relays the instructions twice to make sure I heard correctly. Her eyes are full of concern.

"Ok." I answer, my throat too dry to say anything more. My eyes are fixed on the car door, simply waiting for it to open, but wishing it never will.

"I'll wait out here for a few minutes, call me if you need me to come in. If not I'll be leaving, but remember I'll be travelling down in the morning to see you." She informs me, unnerved slightly by how quiet I'm being.

"Ok I'm ready." I call up to her, even though she never asked.

"Alright, follow me to the entrance." She tells me, whilst pushing open the car door and stepping out.

I follow close behind, keeping up with her at a fast jogging pace.

When we reach the door, she looks down at me with a smile.

"Just relax, enjoy yourself, you're going to College, not prison, you're here to have fun." Her words helping with my nerves immensely.

"Thanks Emma, I'm just overwhelmed by everything, it's all happening so fast." I reply, my voice quiet but audible.

"I know, it must be tough. Now let's not wait any longer, remember to call if you need anything." She reminds me, before opening the door and gesturing for me to head inside the brightly coloured hallway.

I shouldn't need this kind of reassurance, I'm not a kid anymore. I take a deep breath and head inside.

Pulling my suitcases and bags behind me, I slowly enter the doorway which is being held open by my sister.

I get one last look at her as she allows the door to swing shut, waving through the glass door before walking back to the car.

I'm alone in this long hallway now and it's eerily quiet.

As I make my way down the hallway, I come up to the first door on my right with a shape of the number '1' stuck to it.

In my mind, I envision someone walking out of that door and scaring the crap out of me. My imagination is running wild in the silence.

Tentatively, I approach the second door on the right. Without a second thought, I drop my bags behind me and knock loudly on the door, kicking it just to make sure I can be heard.

Footsteps are growing louder and louder from inside... until suddenly the door bursts open, the displaced air almost making me lose my balance.

Recovering from the sudden opening of the door, I look up and up at the person who has come to greet me.

Ahead of me are a pair of tanned legs, as smooth as silk.

Looking up, I am greeted by the underside of a girls skirt. When my eyes drift to their underwear, I quickly avert my eyes, taking a step back.

When I take a few steps back, I no longer have to strain my neck to see the girl's face. It's Jenna, just like I thought it would be. She's smiling and staring straight ahead, until she looks down and sees me standing there.

She is the first to speak, her face is a picture of shock and confusion.

"Hello? A-Are you Kai? ... how are you... you're so small. I mean, um." Her response indicating that I am not what she expected to see. The sense of awkwardness is evident in her voice.

Jenna must be the tallest person I have seen at my height, being more than a head taller than my sister. Her legs seem to stretch on forever and her face appears to be miles above me.

As if on queue, her face turns into a frown, and a look of disappointment, as well as embarassment. She is coming to terms with the shock of seeing such a small person.

For a second I feel like I just want to run away and never look back, but a part of me remembers my sister's words, so I stay.

Jenna is probably feeling unsure of what to do, given that I have neither moved nor said anything yet in response.

"Y-Yes, I'm Kai and... haha, I've always been this small." I explain timidly, having some trouble keeping eye contact.

I'm eye level with the middle of her shins, a frightening fact. Even though I've been at this height all my life, this girl is just so much bigger than Emma. She's also barefoot, which means she would be even taller when wearing shoes.

"Well... I expected you to be taller... I mean, I never would have expected you to be THAT small... You don't even reach my thighs... wow." She breaths in amazement, stepping up close to me to compare our heights, whilst flattening down her skirt so that she can see me below her.

Jenna is completely unaware that I can see up her skirt from my position, as I keep my eyes trained in front of me.

Her words are hurtful, but I give her the benefit of the doubt since most people are usually like this when they first see me.

I'm about to say something when she interrupts me, again to point out more observations.

"Is this your luggage? Oh my god it's so small..." She says, bending over and picking up one of my suitcases in her hand, as though it weighs nothing.

When she starts to get sidetracked, I feel the need to say something.

"Um, so should we head inside? Or are we just going to stand out here all day." I ask her, growing tired of her casual condescending attitude.

When I finally speak up, she tilts her head to face me while she is bent over.

"Oh, yeah. Head inside, it's pretty awesome. The others have gone to buy some food, but the other guy... what's his name... Shaun, is in his room." Jenna explains, walking off into the appartment.

I can't believe she left without offering to help me with my bags. So far I have mixed opinions on Jenna, while she is beautiful, she seems to have a typical 'I only think of myself' attitude from what I've seen so far.

***

Dragging my bags through the door, I drop them down near what looks like a kitchen counter to the right of the door.

The appartment is a sight to behold. The carpets are like a blanket of snow, a pure white colour, along with the walls aswell. Lots of the edges in the appartment are rounded and the whole place has a very modern feel to it. The main colours which stand out the most are white, green and purple with different coloured furniture dotted about the place.

In front of me, past what appears to be the lounge area with a plasma TV and black leather sofas is a hallway which leads to other rooms. To my right is the kitchen, decorated with marble counters and light brown wooden cabinets which are colour coded.

The whole place is more spacious than the house I've lived in for years, with a wide open space in the middle of the lounge area.

All in all, it looks like a very relaxing place to live. I can definitely see myself getting used to the place. The only problem is the issue of accessibility, since I cannot reach most of the things in the appartment.

Jenna is making her way back over to the door from wherever she has been, her bare feet compressing the carpet with each step.

"Sorry about that, I just told Shaun that you've arrived. He said 'cool' and that was it. He's not very talkative, how about you?" She asks, as she closes the door, before glancing down at me with a childlike curiosity.

"Yeah, I'm pretty talkative. This is just all a bit much for me... I um, I've never done anything like this before." I explain, hoping she understands.

"Oh you're not alone there, I've never been to College either!" She answers happily.

"No, I meant in general, I hardly ever left the house when I was living at home." I correct her, whilst shying away from her judging stare.

"Oh! I see... is that because you're small? When I saw you in the video call, I expected you to be much taller." She informs me, letting her obvious thoughts be known to me.

"Yeah, sorry about that, I guess I wanted it to be a surprise. And yes, it's because I'm small." I confirm.

Throughout the entire conversation I can't help but remain captivated by her sultry stare and her sparkling green eyes.

"Well you sure surprised me!" Jenna answers laughing.

"So, when will the others be back?" I ask, keeping the conversation going.

"They said they might be a while, do you want to see Shaun? He's unpacking his computer or something... Me, Celeste and Yasmine have not decided on our rooms yet, but he just picked one right away." Jenna explains.

"Sure, could you pick up my bags too? Just put them up on the kitchen counter or something, I'll get them later."

"Uh, yeah, just go on ahead." She replies, whilst stepping over me and placing my bags in a safe spot.

"Don't worry about me being so small, you'll get used to me eventually." I joke, expecting to lighten the mood.

"Oh, hehe." She giggles awkwardly.

Jenna walks ahead of me since she covers distances much quicker, then she points towards the first door on the left.

I head towards that door and wait for her to open it. Jenna calls in ahead of opening it to let Shaun know we are coming in.

"Shaun, Kai is here to see you." She calls through the door, pushing it open to reveal a guy with brown curly hair, glasses and a thin physique.

He looks smaller than Jenna, that much is easy to tell right away.

Shaun glances up casually, but when his eyes meet with mine, his immediately go wide.

"How tall are you?" Is all he says, taken aback by my lack of height.

"I'm 1 foot tall." I reply, as if it's my duty to tell people my height.

"Wow, anyway, I'm busy right now... so could you please leave?" He asks, relatively politely.

That must be the most casual reaction I've ever gotten from anyone. It makes me feel relieved knowing that not everyone is prepared to make fuss over me.

Jenna ushers me out and closes the door behind her, before turning to me, raising her eyebrows and widening her eyes.

Shaun seems like a nice guy, but he doesn't appear to be the kind of person who enjoys long conversations.

"Come on, I'll show you the bathrooms, we have 3 of them. One of them is in the larger bedroom and then there is one opposite the lounge area. The last one is in this door opposite Shaun's room." She gestures towards the light brown wooden door behind me.

We take a look at the two similar bedrooms which look almost identical, complete with all of the necessary furniture. Then we head into the larger bedroom which has the bathroom attached to it. The furniture in this room looks the same apart from the bed which is slightly bigger than the other three.

My thoughts are that I'm impressed by everything so far, as I follow to keep up with Jenna's long powerful strides.

We stop at the lounge area where she takes a seat on one of the leather sofas, propping her feet up on the glass table opposite.

I walk underneath her legs which cast a long shadow over me, before attempting to pull myself up onto the sofa.

After a third unsuccessful attempt, to my embarassment, Jenna takes it upon herself to pick me up from under my arms and set me down next to her.

She does it without asking, which annoys me, but I make nothing of it.

"Ugh. The remote is on the floor over there. Could you go get it for me Kai?" She asks innocently, turning her head to talk to me.

"Can't you get it yourself? It would be quicker if you got it." I answer, unable to see the logic in her request.

"But I helped you out already, plus my feet are killing me." She complains, putting on a pouty face.

"But I don't need the remote." I counter, not accepting that I should be the one to get the remote.

Her innocent expression turns into a more offended expression in an instant. She's probably used to getting what she wants.

"What the hell is your problem?" She asks quietly, proceeding to stand up and retrieve the remote from the floor.

Jenna sits down aggressively, making me bounce into the air a few inches. She doesn't look at me, instead she rests her head on her hand, with her elbow supporting it on the armrest.

Seeing as we aren't getting off to the best start, I decide to apologise, although I see nothing wrong in what I said.

"I'm sorry Jenna, I'm just stressed right now and I think it would have been difficult for me to lift it." I explain to her, hoping that she understands.

"Ok, but why didn't you just say that? I forgive you, and that's not just because you're cute." She smiles and narrows her eyes at me.

Her sudden change in behaviour throws me off guard, while her compliment takes me by surprise.

"Uhh... thanks." I respond, not knowing what else to say.

"You're welcome Kai." She winks, appearing to be more comfortable around me now, as she crosses her legs and adjusts her skirt.

We sit in silence for the next few minutes watching some comedy show on TV.

The whole time I'm sitting there, I can't help but think just how bizzare this situation is. I expected things to be much more stressful, but it seems that is not the case. I'm relaxed now and also looking forward to when Celeste and Yasmine arrive.

Just then, we hear Shaun come out of his room and walk behind us into the kitchen.

"Hey, what are you looking for?" Jenna asks, casually glancing over her shoulder at him, having to brush her long blonde hair out of the way.

"I was looking for something to eat, but I just remembered we don't have food yet." He realises.

From where I'm sitting, I can't see over the back of the sofa.

"Celeste and Yasmine should be here soon, wanna come sit with us?" Jenna offers, patting the seat next to her.

"Umm... I'm good thanks." Shaun replies, briskly walking back to his room and shutting the door behind him.

Seeing this as an opportunity to talk to her again, I decide to ask her what classes she's taking.

"So Jenna, what classes are you taking?"

"Can we talk about that later? I'm gonna take a nap so would you mind leaving for a few minutes?" She asks politely, although her request is completely out of order.

I'm about to refuse to leave but she begins to stretch herself out on the sofa, her feet and then her legs slide past me before settling just in front of my face.

"Um, Jenna, your legs are kind of in the way." I inform her, growing tired of her spontanious nature.

Instead she just exhales a long sigh, shifting around and making herself more comfortable, completely ignoring me.

Seeing as it's the only option, I climb over her legs which are suspended at an inconvenient angle for me.

The moment I go to jump off of her legs, her whole body shudders, throwing me off balance.

I manage to jump down to the carpet below and head towards the bedrooms, leaving Jenna in peace.

***

I explore the appartment more thoroughly, discovering various pieces of funiture and marvelling at the beauty of the place.

There are only four bedrooms in this appartment, meaning I will have to share with someone. The idea of having to share a room with someone does not appeal to me at all.

I'm snapped out of my trance by the sound of the doorbell ringing.

Walking out of the larger bedroom, I look down the hallway to see Jenna answering the door. At long last, I'll get to meet Celeste and Yasmine.

So far so good, I'll have to remember to text my sister before the end of the day, she's probably waiting to hear from me.

_______________________________
Chapter End Notes:
Things will pick up in the next chapters with Celeste and Yasmine returning. Remember to leave a review, they are much appreciated.