- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Enjoy :)

Kai -

Me and Tris decided that we would go to the hospital to see what the doctors would make of my condition. It took a while for her to get used to holding me and making sure I was comfortable before we left. I was fine with her having so much control over me because I love her and she is very careful. She held me in her cupped palm and I sat sideways lying down with my legs curled up, it wasn't the most comfortable position but it was the safest.

Tris also got me some tissues to wear as a sort of robe which I punched holes in to put my head, arms and legs inside. Once we were set, she got in her car and I sat in the cup holder admiring the size of everything. The way her hand moved around on the steering wheel and the way her legs flexed when she put pressure on the pedals.

While she drived we had a surprisingly normal conversation about each other's days and laughed at how this was one of the most unlikely things that could have happened. We were both trying to be brave for each others' sakes, although it wasn't too difficult.

When we arrived at the hospital we weren't sure how Tris should approach the receptionist. We decided to go for a light-hearted approach instead of anything too abrupt in case the receptionist got too uncomfortable. We decided Tris would say "Hi, I came home to find my boyfriend shrunk and we were wondering if you could help us." Where she would then show me to the receptionist.

To our surprise there were a number of nurses who looked like they were waiting for people to arrive, one of them came up to us as we were walking in and said: "Hi there, those with height loss need to go straight inside and you will be directed to your room." She said to Tris, the nurses eyes settling on me and giving me a reassuring smile.

"Thank you, so it isn't just us this has happened to then?" Tris asked with a sigh of relief, knowing she wouldn't need to go through too much trouble.

"No, there have been many cases worldwide over the last few hours, news stations have been working with hospitals and the police to organise this procedure, you did the right thing to come here." She informs us, her kind expression and tone putting us at ease.

We went inside and we were directed to a room with seats on the left of the room and beds at the front and right of the room, with windows on the side with the seats. There were eleven others milling around in the room with mixed expressions, a few with worried looks, others standing over the beds and two who seemed to be arguing. There were four doctors and nurses in the room alongside those near the beds and we were directed by a doctor to a bed near the front. People stared at me out of interest, although they didn't look shocked so I assumed these people are here because people they know are also affected by this... miracle.

The doctor told us that all I had to do was wait here over night because I was in good condition and they wanted to account for every shrunken person in the area. I thought for a while about how he said 'good condition' and shuddered a little when I thought of others who may not have been as fortunate as me. We would be allowed to go home in the morning unless anything else happens.

A few of the people left after a while and some remained, Tris decided to stay with me overnight of course and I couldn't help but think that I needed her there more than simply wanting her there. This made me feel less confident because I know that I am basically dependant on doctors and nurses who are strangers to me if Tris isn't there.

After an hour or so we could hear the two who were arguing (a mother and her teenage daughter) still arguing as they had moved to a seat near our bed. What we heard made us wonder about the dangers I face at my size:

"Look mom. I've told you before. I didn't know it was dad. I thought it was just one of Jenny's dolls or something. I went in her room to find my phone which the little brat stole from me, like I said remember?" She said impatiently, looking both pleading and annoyed.

"Chelsey, I just wish you wouldn't fight with your sister so much, now look what its' caused! Your father is seriously injured because of your actions!" She shouted, upset and angry at her daughter.

"Mom! Why won't you listen to me? I didn't know it was dad, how was I supposed to know he shrunk, huh? Did you even think about that before you started accusing me?"

"Do not try to turn this away from you young lady. You should have known better than to go into Jenny's room and touch her things without her permission!"

"Well, I didn't know that it was dad and I only broke his arm ok? All I did was get my phone. Are you saying that dad is Jenny's possession or something mom?"

"Stop trying to twist my words Chelsey! Your father is not Jenny's possession, he just happened to be in her room when he shrunk. I want you to go over there and apologize to him right now!" She points at the bed next to ours.

"Ugh! Just leave me alone!" With that she stormed out of the room.

After hearing that shocking and disturbing conversation between the mother and daughter, we became even more aware of others in the room and we talked about what others might be experiencing.

I started to feel more vulnerable again knowing that a teenage girl broke her dad's arm without realising what she was doing.

Tris -

Me and Kai were talking for a while before we decided that we should both get some sleep. Kai insisted that I ask if I can sleep on the bed with him. The doctor said, given Kai's condition I would be unable to do that because not much is known about the shrinking and it would be a risk. I can tell Kai felt sorry for me that I had to sleep in a chair but I lied that the chair was comfortable for his sake.

Excluding the doctors I was one of the only two normal sized people in the room. It feels weird to say 'normal sized' like it's a new thing and I wonder if people will adopt a name for those who have shrunk, or if they will refer to others as normal sized. It's a strange thing to think about.

The other person in the room was someone who lives on our street. His name is Mark and I assume that he is here with his shrunken wife because I don't know any of his relations and I know he doesn't have kids. He has been asleep for about an hour now so I haven't been able to talk to him. All the doctors did was measure Kai when he was asleep, which seemed a nice gesture, rather than scrutinise him while he is awake. He is 6 inches tall.