- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Feel free to leave a review and give me some feedback, new chapters will be out soon. :)

Kai -

We wake up side by side like every other morning, but this time it's different, I have to look up at her and she has to look down at me. We both smile, which makes me feel warm inside.

I stand up on the cushion I slept on and stretch my arms, Tris swings her legs over the bed and I notice she has been sweating, her legs shining in the sunlight coming through the window. It is the middle of summer but our room is air conditioned, I decide not to ask about it, if she wants to she will tell me. She walks around our bed and slumps down on her knees so she is eye level with me, her arms crossed at the edge of the bed.

"Morning honey." She yawns. "Morning." I reply with a sleepy smile.

She goes to pick me up but I jump and roll away before she can do it. I decided that I wanted to walk around on my own this morning so I can get used to it.

"I feel like walking around on my own this morning." I explain.

"Oh, ok sweety, i'll be in the kitchen making breakfast, just go up the stairs to the table and i'll have it ready for you." She says walking away.

I am left alone on the bed as Tris walks out the door and I admire her beauty as she gracefully walks away, her pajamas tightly fitting her perfect body, her light brown hair cascading down her back. I don't know how I will be able to stand not being able to kiss her like I used to, but I should forget about these things for now because they will only get me down.

I jump down the book staircase on my side of the bed and take off jogging towards our door, the carpet beneath my feet feels like soft unyielding sponge and I feel like I can run faster than I ever could. The vast open space of our bedroom making me feel free as I jump over a sock which I will never be able to wear at my size.

I jog outside of the bedroom door and turn the corner towards the stairs where yet more books are lined up to lessen the gap between each step, but instead I opt for sliding down the lower part of the wooden railing, a quicker and more fun route.

I hit the smooth wood floor with a roll, surprised that I land without even a scratch, I could get used to that.

Again I turn a corner at the bottom of the stairs and walk the straight distance toward the kitchen, the door is open and the giant figure of Tris is elegantly moving about the kitchen. She turns in my direction for a split second and double-takes, she must have gotten a shock not being used to seeing me at my size and she smiles at me.

I walk slowly past her as she focuses on the breakfast she is making and for the first time I marvel at the sheer size of her from this perspective. She towers over me and I feel numb as I stare at the back of her legs and her feet, I only come up to just below the middle of her calf. She looks so powerful, being able to move great distances with ease.

I walk across the white-stone floor of the kitchen to the stairs which lead up to the table. Once I am up I head over to the make-shift table and chair set out for me, pieces of cardboard bent into shape.

Tris walks over with her plate and sits down across from me, her eyes still sleepy but awake at the sight of me.

"I made scrambled egg." She declares with a cheesy grin.

"Tris you spoil me too much." I answer.

"Well you should get used to it sweety, because this is just the start of it." I love that about Tris, always so positive and kind.

"So, what are we gonna do today?" I ask through mouthfuls of scrambled egg, interested as to what she might have planned.

"Well, we could finish off making everything accessible for you and then we can go out or do whatever you want." She suggests.

Making the day sound like every other day, something I welcome with relief.

"Sounds good, and what time is Christy getting here?" I wonder, not being able to get her out of my thoughts since yesterday.

Tris chirps up at the mention of Christy.

"Oh she said she would arrive at around six tonight, so we have enough time to do something before she gets here, she said she would bring our car too since we will go to work together anyway."

That was nice of her, I thought. Maybe I was just overreacting last night after all.

"We should go out for a walk later maybe, well... you know what I mean (I said we, when it would only really be Tris doing the walking) and we should watch the news, since I was thinking of what the nurse said, it would probably be important to get updates on what is happening right now." I say, easing my way back into the role of making decisions.

So we finish up our breakfast and watch the news, learning a lot about the situations some people are in and also what the government plans to do to protect those who have shrunk. They plan on (depending on if you have a job) paying my normal wage for 5 years and then after that I will get half of that per year, not too bad, this means me and Tris won't have any problems financially. All we needed to do now was call my boss and break the news to him, he will be sad to find out one of his best employees has shrunk.

After watching the news, we went ahead with Tris' idea to finish up putting stairs around the place. We spend around 2 hours thinking of places I will need to climb, putting the stairs in place and also testing them to see if they work. Once we are done we admire our work and think about going for a walk.

"If we go to the park, do you mind carrying me in your hand or do you have any other ideas of how to bring me along?" I ask, wanting to make sure she is comfortable with carrying me around.

"Not at all, as long as you don't mind attracting a few stares i'm fine with that." She replies reassuringly.

"It's ok Tris i'm used to attracting stares with these dazzling good looks." I exaggerate, earning a fit of giggles from Tris, who smiles down at me on the glass table.

----

Tris walks into the park with me in hand, her hand slightly cupped to keep me inside but also relaxed enough that it is comfortable for her at the same time. People have already started staring, both at the beautiful young girl strolling through the park and at the little man she is carrying wearing a baggy piece of fabric as a robe.

After a while her hand starts to get sweaty from holding me for so long in the heat, something we didn't forsee. At first Tris doesn't realise and my butt gets wet from the sweat, so I call up to her,

"Tris your hand is getting a little sweaty down here."

"What? Oh!" She realizes, exchanging me to her other hand and wiping her sweaty hand on her shorts, mouthing sorry to me and looking a little embaressed. She can get flustered easily when she is embaressed I recall.

During the stroll through the park, a number of people walk up near us to get a look at me and they do it very subtly as though it's forbidden to come near me. I would have just preferred it if they came up to us and talked to us as though i'm just a normal guy in the park with his girlfriend, but sadly that is not the case.

Tris sits down on a park bench and places me next to her with her hands pressed flat on the bench on either side of her, gazing off into the park. I savour this moment as I can tell Tris is deep in her own thoughts, watching kids play around kicking and throwing balls and at dogs chasing after each other.

Out of nowhere a young girl in a yellow dress slams herself down inches away from me, her behind inches away from turning me into a pancake against the park bench.

Tris gasps and turns rigid with shock. She looks to her left, down at me and to her relief I am still there. The girl who had not seen me, gets up and chases after whoever chased her on to the bench.

Tris, grasps me and holds me in both her hands looking down at me like she had just seen a ghost.

"Holy shit..." I mutter, my mouth dry from the adrenaline that coursed through me in those few seconds.

"Kai... i'll be more careful next time sweety, i'm so sorry." She babbles, still wide eyed, the beginnings of tears visible from the corner of her eyes.

I press my hand into her hand to show that i'm alright and to try to console her.

"Tris. It's ok, i'm fine, just a little bit shaken up, that wasn't your fault, it's just that people don't know to look out for people my size yet." I say, making her feel better.

"I know." She sniffs away tears. I can tell by her reaction that she is realizing how vulnerable I am and how fragile I am now. I don't like it at all but this is the harsh truth of the situation. She was just waiting for something like this to happen for all of her bottled up emotions to come flowing out. I notice that she swallows the lump in her throat and with a shaky and teary voice slowly tells me,

"I think we should go home now." 

I nod not disagreeing with her after what I just went through.