- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Things will start to pick up from here.

Kai -

Me and Tris have set up ramps and make-shift stairs for me so that I can get around the house more easily. We (mostly Tris) worked really hard to make sure I could get everywhere I needed to get to. The first day alone in the house was hard, although I began to get used to it after a while. I would spend my time walking around and climbing things and going about my business. Tris left me some food and water on the table in our living room for me in separate dishes. It gets boring after a while wandering around the house on my own, so I will have to find something interesting to do if I am going to be doing this for the forseeable future.

At six o'clock Tris arrived home. I felt helpless knowing that she would have to come home to a 6 inch tall boyfriend every day, helpless knowing that I couldn't hug her or kiss her at this size. She came in to the living room looking relaxed and sighed a sigh of relief as she dropped her purse on the sofa and slouched down on it, much like what I would do after a day at work. I was sitting on top of the glass table in the middle of the room admiring her from (to me) a distance.

"How was your day honey?" I asked, trying to keep the boredom from my voice.

"It was ok, Christy asked me if we wanted to go out for dinner someplace tonight."

Christy is Tris' best friend from work, she is a bombshell, with a perfect figure, and Tris lets me admit it. She is 6ft tall, 22 years old with dirty blonde hair which is just shorter than Tris'. For some reason, however hard Tris has tried to set her up on a date with someone, including one of my friends who is an amateur basketball player, she just doesn't seem to hit it off with anyone. My friend told me that she seemed distant and dis-interested when she was on the date with him so neither me or Tris pressed any further into the matter. I do not know Christy as well as Tris but from my perspective she always seemed the type who would be talkative and friendly when I was around her with Tris.

"Oh cool, so i'm assuming you told her about my condition?" I asked, predicting the answer.

"Well... no. I didn't know how she would react so I thought we would break it to her together tonight at dinner." She explained.

I wasn't sure how to react to this, that was not the answer I predicted. I expected Tris to tell one of her closest friends about me but obviously she wasn't in the right frame of mind to do so. I began to wonder if Tris felt vulnerable having people know about my condition, or if she felt that she was protecting me by not telling many people. No matter though, they will find out eventually.

"Ok, well i'm sure she won't take the news too badly, if anything she will be sad for you knowing that I can't protect you at my size." I laugh (We both know Christy is the type to look out for her friends and could get very protective if she wanted to).

"Ohhh don't say that..." She said, leaving an awkward silence between us because we both realized that the way our relationship works has completely changed. I can tell she doesn't want to talk to me condescendingly so I remember to try not to make myself sound weak in front of her. She is the one who has to protect me now and I am not sure how I feel about that. Vulnerable is the word I would use but I know Tris will protect me even if I am not the person I used to be physically. After all, it's only my body which was affected.

We get dressed, I am given a piece of cloth which I wear in the same fashion as the tissue, Tris looks spectacular as always wearing a red dress which shows off her cleavage and stops mid-thigh. If there are a few things I will enjoy getting used to, one of them is watching your building sized girlfriend get dressed while watching from your giant bed.

I find it funny how we have taken things so calmly when other people in our position are panicking and have no idea what to do. But I also wonder if Tris is taking it as well as me or if she is hiding her feelings from me for my benefit. We'll have to be more open about everything if this is going to work. Otherwise, everything is out of my control.

----

We arrived at the restaurant at 7 and Christy was waiting inside. Tris decided she would just show me to Christy and she would break the ice from there. Everyone knows about the shrinking event so it hopefully won't come as too much of a surprise.

Tris walked in carrying me in her cupped palm by her side and I noticed Christy coming towards us, from my position I could make out that she was wearing a black dress, which ended in a skirt half way up her thigh. From my perspective most of my view was of a giant tanned leg moving toward me.

"Hi Tris!" Christy greeted cheerfully with a tight hug, "Where is that boyfriend of yours? Parking the car or something?" I noticed the tone of her voice became more monotone as though she was bothered by the fact I would be there. Also Tris had to move the hand holding me behind her back, only hugging Christy with one hand. Christy took notice of this and stared down at Tris' hand.

"What's that you've got there?" Christy asked narrowing her eyes to make out what exactly she was looking at. Tris brought up her hand to show Christy what she was holding. I stood up in her hand and made a little wave at Christy, who at the moment had a mixture of emotions written on her face and they were hard to decipher all at once. Alarm, shock, the kind of look you make when you have been caught out and also... a strange resemblance of a look of relief for whatever reason.

"Hey Christy, Kai was one of those unfortunate enough to shrink." Tris explained with a sad expression.

"Oh no, that's awful!" Christy replied, glancing at me and trying to sound sincere. "Is he ok?" She asked Tris, despite me being fully capable of communicating English, she asked Tris instead. Tris caught on and replied with a gesture,

"Why don't you ask him yourself Christy? He's as healthy as he was the last time you saw him... just smaller"

"Sorry, Kai. How are you doing?" I was alarmed at how she was acting, since usually she would be so cheerful and kind around me.

"I-It's fine Christy I've just been getting used to being this size, I am getting used to it and I guess others are still getting used t-to seeing people this small..." I stutter because of the way Christy is staring down at me and blatantly trying to suppress a smile or a laugh. I try to break the ice by the end of my sentence but I only feel that it made things worse. I look up at Tris and notice she is looking down at me with a look of pity and shock at the way Christy is acting. I don't like that I am appearing weak in front of my girlfriend.

The waiter takes us to our table after Tris, Christy and I explain our situation and he nods saying,

"Not a problem, we had a couple in here earlier who were like you two." There isn't really a word for it since this is very new and unusual to everyone.

"Thank you." Tris replies, polite as ever.

We sit down at the table, the waiter makes a makeshift table and chair for me from blocks of wood he can find in the kitchen and I sit with my back to Tris facing Christy. It feels strange to only be looking up at their faces but in my situation this is better than nothing.

We order our drinks, wine for the two girls and water for me seeing as I don't know what effect alcohol will have on me at the moment. Christy starts off the conversation,

"So Tris how have you been lately? I had been meaning to ask you at work but things have been busy what with me moving out." She asks, brushing a blonde hair from her face. It seems she isn't phazed or interested in my situation at all, something I find astonishing.

"Well, recently me and Kai have been making the house accessible for him, things like stacking books so that he can reach the toilet and the sink." She replies, trying to bring me into the conversation by not directly answering the question.

All while Tris was talking, Christy was lazily staring down at me like you would at a picture in a book or at something that mildly interests you. Tris doesn't notice this because I am not in her field of view. I am about to join the conversation when Christy speaks up again after taking a sip of her wine,

"Cool, so how have you guys worked out things like sleeping arrangements and how are you guys going to go about daily life now that Kai has shrunk?" She says casually and with interest. "Well at the moment I still sleep in the bed with Tris, but I was considering sleeping in the guest room since there are risks-

"Like Tris rolling over in her sleep?" Christy interrupts, giving me and Tris an innocent questioning look.

- Yes Christy, there isn't much of a risk of that happening though since I sleep on the other side of the bed." I finish, not being able to answer her question completely given that she interupted me half way. I was talking mostly towards Tris during that conversation to avoid Christy's heavy stare. I feel like saying something about it but I put it down as her adjusting to my new size.

I think of what Christy is implying after registering what she said and shudder at the thought. She said it so casually that I can't believe she could have meant what she said.

Our meals arrive, two spaghetti bolognese and a small cut up portion of Tris' for me. We get into normal conversation finally, Tris joking about me not having to eat much at all, generally pointing out the benefits of my size to brighten my mood and everyone else's mood. Conversation is minimal between me and Christy but i'm glad we are starting to have a normal conversation, which is generally everyone's topic of conversation at some point; the shrinkings.

As the girls finish their third glass of wine and order their fourth, I can't help but envy them, they are able to enjoy things I am not. This bothers me because I realize this probably won't be the only thing I can't enjoy.

The girls start to get more tipsy as they finish their fourth glass, talking about work and laughing where they aren't supposed to. Christy is the worst though, she is known not to be able to hold her alcohol as well as most. Tris knows when to stop to have a good time, me finishing my second water, Tris asks the waiter for the bill.

We leave the restaurant and Tris calls for a taxi, me lying in her cupped hand as she holds me to her side protectively. We didn't expect to have to call for a taxi but I decided not to say anything since Tris must have needed to unwind after recent events, and Christy because it was her idea to ask us out for dinner.

Christy is tipsy and is now leaning in to Tris and laughing, I look up and up at her face and see she is looking ahead with a happy expression.

Suddenly her thigh bumps into Tris' hand and I get bounced up but not out of her hand. Tris gasps and Christy says "Woops. Forgot the little man was there." Giggling afterwards.

The taxi arrives and we pile in, Tris holds me to her left, away from Christy as a precaution and we set off, first to her appartment and then our home. Tris will have to walk back to the restaurant or get a lift from Christy to get our car in the morning.

We start talking again, but this time it's normal conversation until something comes up and Christy half shouts and whispers, giggling also,

"Tris when I am at your house can we watch movies together?" Her sentence conjured by alcohol, not making any sense to me and I'm not sure it would if I knew what she was talking about either.

Tris seems to suddenly recall something however.

"Oh I totally forgot about that Christy! Kai, I forgot to mention if it would be alright if Christy stayed over until her new appartment is ready?"

I was caught off guard by this but I responded yes anyway knowing that it was the right thing to do. I was reluctant to say yes however for obvious reasons.

"Thanksomuch Tris you are such a hottie." Christy said with a slurr, making a poorly timed pouty face at Tris and me and kissing Tris sloppily on the cheek. I wonder what I just agreed to and find it funny how Christy thanked Tris, who is also caught off guard by the compliment.

After Christy was dropped off at her appartment and we made it home, me and Tris decided to talk about the night and how we felt about it. I sat on the round glass table in our living room while Christy sat at the edge of the sofa.

"Sorry I didn't tell you about Christy staying over, I just completely forgot. I know we both have a lot on our minds right now and someone staying at our home for a week or so probably is not the best idea, but she won't have any place to stay while her new appartment is getting ready." Tris explained.

"I know Tris, the only thing that is concerning me right now is how Christy was acting tonight... I thought she didn't seem her usual self." I replied, trying to find a word for how she was acting and not succeeding.

"Really? I thought she seemed pretty normal to me, excitable as she usually is and talkative as ever." She said with a smile. "Maybe it's just you getting used to seeing people at your new height." She added.

I remembered that she had drank quite a lot tonight so I assumed the alcohol was clouding her judgement of tonights events given that she is defending Christy, which frustrates me because she wasn't seeing the same side of Christy that I was.

"Ok Tris, we should get some sleep since it's pretty late and being this size is really exhausting, since i'm having to run and jog everywhere." I say with a hint of complaint in my voice. I didn't mean to sound like I was complaining but I think it came across like that to alcohol hazed Tris.

"Kai, just remember I am and will continue doing my best for you, some things won't be easy but we will get through this together, I know it must be hard for you but I promise I'm there for you." That's the Tris I fell in love with.

"I love you Tris." I say sincerely.

"I love you too." She replies.

Here we would normally kiss and then go to bed but Tris seems conflicted and so do I really, how is she supposed to do that at this size? It pains me when all she does is pick me up and make sure I am comfortable with a half smile. I have been meaning to propose to her for a while now, we have lived together for over a year.

I bought the ring two months ago and it is hidden in the corner of our bedroom underneath the carpet inside a small box. Now that I am this size I dread to think how I would go about proposing and I wonder if Tris has thought about this yet aswell; I truly hope she has not.