- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Enjoy :)
------

Kai -

I wake up to Tris saying my name quietly, my body is covered in sweat from the nightmares I was having which never seemed to end.

"Kai... Kai... me and Christy are going to work now, the clothes have arrived and the box is downstairs in the kitchen, along with your breakfast. Serena is still asleep in Christy's room so go ahead and wake her when you get up." She whispers.

"Oh and I called the orphanage, they seemed fine with Serena leaving. I gave them our address and number just in case, I love you Kai, gotta go." She adds, kissing my head and leaving.

I lay awake for a few minutes, willing myself to become wide awake, thinking about what Tris told me.

I jump down my stairs and walk groggily across the carpet, my eyes feel glued shut and I still feel half asleep. I break into a jog to try to wake myself up.

I head into Christy's room and there are clothes strewn about everywhere on the floor, the room smells like perfume and it's like there is a pink haze everywhere, but that's just my senses reacting to the smell.

I walk around a discarded t-shirt and a blue pair of socks which are turned inside out and I scan the room looking for Serena. If she isn't sleeping somewhere on the floor then she must be on the bed.

I climb the untidy bed cover which is half on the floor and half on the bed. The climb only takes 10 seconds, after all I only need to pull myself up around 2'5" and I'm 6".

When I reach the top I look across the expanse of Christy's bed, the noticeable imprint of where her body has been lying is laid out in front of me. I walk across the bed towards her pillow, I can smell Christy on the bed sheets, it's a mixture of perfume and sex. I shake my head to try to ignore the smell.

There is still no sight of Serena as I scan the bedside table and every corner of the room, maybe she went downstairs already.

"BOO!"

I jump in shock and turn around to see Serena standing there laughing at my reaction, she is still wearing her green bikini from yesterday.

"Ahaha! You got so scared! I'm sorry I couldn't help myself!" She laughs out.

It looks like she's a morning person.

"Hey, where were you hiding?" I ask, wondering where she came from.

"I was behind the pillow." She points towards the pillow.

"Ah. I see." I answer, not really in the mood. "So how was Christy?" I ask.

"Oh Christy is great! We played hide and seek before we went to bed, she's really funny, I hid underneath her bed covers and she had to find me with her hands." She replies excitedly.

For all the time she has spent in an orphanage, it seems as though she has never really transitioned from being a kid into an adult.

"Ah. Cool. Do you want to come get some breakfast now? Our clothes are in the kitchen too." I tell her.

She nods and takes off running. She seems pretty healthy and energetic.

"Race you there!" She shouts over her shoulder.

As I watch her run to the edge of the bed I can't help but notice that she is good looking, her silky black hair flows down her back, contrasting well with her tanned skin. She has green eyes aswell which make her look striking and beautiful and she has a curvy yet athletic figure, with C cup breasts and a tight butt.

I feel ashamed for scrutinizing her like that, but Tris isn't here, so meh.

I take off running after Serena, she is pretty fast even if she is half my height. Instead of sliding down the bed covers like I would, she just leaps from the edge of the bed and lands on the covers on the ground.

By the time I reach the ground she is already at the door.

I sprint after her and she is already descending the stairs using the railing. Yesterday she seemed so timid and shy, but today she seems the opposite.

Maybe her night with Christy has changed her attitude towards us and she now sees us as her friends.

I am not far behind her now, as I reach the bottom she is just rounding the corner at the bottom of the stairs, the final 200 meter sprint towards the kitchen.

I manage to catch up to her and I'm now ahead, but for the sake of the game, I let her sprint ahead of me so she can win.

"I win!" She exclaims, hands on her knees and breathing hard. I am doing the same.

"Ok that was pretty fun, usually I'm home alone so it's great to have some company." I reply, thankful that she is here.

Maybe this won't be so bad after all, it's amazing how people warm to you and change once you get to know them.

On top of the kitchen table is a big box which must contain the clothes we asked for.

We climb the stairs to the table and there are now two seats at my usual smaller table, the other seat is slightly raised so Serena can reach.

There are two oversized pieces of toast for the two of us and also two separate bowls filled with orange juice.

I silently thank Tris for being so thoughtful and I wish that she doesn't have a hard day at work.

I feel bad for just running around the house all day while Tris is at work. I love her so much.

Me and Serena sit down and we start talking, she asks how old I am and how tall I used to be.

"Wow 6'1"? I can't imagine you being that tall now. I was 5'2" so I was below average height for girls." She tells me, she seems very chatty now, something I'm grateful for.

I decide to ask the questions that have been nagging me all since yesterday.

"So, I hope you don't mind me asking but... why were you in an orphanage?" I ask gently, waiting for her to answer.

She looks slightly sad, but she answers casualy anyway.

"My parents died in a car crash just after I was born... my parent's family didn't know I existed which is why I was sent to an orphanage here in this city. It's actually not far from this house." She explains.

"I see... Tris rang the orphanage this morning and gave them our address and phone number just in case. But it looks like you won't be going back there anymore now, Tris had to tell them your real age." I tell her.

She seems visibly troubled by this but I decide not to ask her why.

"So what was it like at the orphanage?" I ask.

She closes her eyes for a second and begins, composing herself.

"Life was pretty bad, from a young age I was picked on because I was small, these four girls and a lot of the others at the orphanage would make fun of me because I was shy and alone. At school I was bullied by the same four girls, and I had to return to them every day after school..." She pauses and continues.

"I only really made one friend, he was a kid at the time who had recently been dropped off at the orphanage. He was small too and we would get picked on and bullied at the orphanage, even though he was 6 years younger than me we got through everything together, his name is Daniel." She smiles and continues.

"Strangely we both shrunk together, looking back on it, it seems like it was meant to happen. When we shrunk we were both playing tag in my bedroom. Emily who is the 'leader' of the other girls, found us and she kept us a secret from our supervisors...

...She would make us do weird things like smell her feet in exchange for food, until the supervisors finally found us and the girls got grounded. They escaped and took me to the beach and... that's how I'm here today. I'm worried because they still have Dan... I just hope he's ok." She sighs and looks at me waiting for me to say something.

I don't really know what to say, she has had a horrible life but she seems so casual about it. She must be really relieved to finally be rid of her old life.

"That sounds awful..." Is all I can respond with.

"It kinda was... if I told you how messed up the four girls were you wouldn't believe me. They treated us worse than the man in the restaurant, and they're only 16. They would play messed up games with us with knives and although they never really hurt us, the fear was always there. You can guess why they are all in an orphanage." She finishes, a tired look on her face.

Again I don't know what to say, she must be so happy to be away from all of that.

"Jeez, that's bad... wanna go check out our clothes now?" I ask excitedly, trying to raise the mood.

"Sure!" She replies, I can tell she is trying to hide her sorrow but she's a strong person, given what she has been through.

We run up to the box and I lift her up on my back so that she can get on top to open it up. I hear the creaking of the cardboard as she opens the box slightly.

Serena throws down a sticky note down to me, I read it and it says:

'Sorry for hitting you and hitting on you' ~ Kate

An interesting apology, I laugh at it and leave it on the table.

"The clothes are in small individual plastic boxes, there's so many!" Serena shouts down excitedly.

"Cool, need any help?" I call up.

"Yeah, come on up."

I climb up onto the box and look down inside, there are plastic boxes filled with colourful clothes. In total there must be 20 boxes, 10 for me and 10 for Serena, hers are on one side and mine are on the other.

It must be easy to make all of these clothes given that Kate so willingly gave them to us.

We lift each box out of the bigger box and set them down on the table. We will wait for Tris and Christy to get home so they can help us.

This takes us about an hour in total, we laugh and have fun jumping from the top of the box to the table and then I lift Serena back up again every time.

Once we finish we are pretty worn out, so we decide to watch some TV, relaxing on the sofa.

We watch a few comedy shows, laughing together, and we watch the news for a while since there is a lot happening. Scientists are making daily predictions and have different ideas all of the time, it's interesting to listen about them, but none of their predictions come true.

About an hour passes when we hear the doorbell ring.

I wonder who it could be, so I tell Serena to wait on the sofa while I go and check.

I round the corner and into the hallway and I see 4 female faces looking in through the window, I gasp in shock.

The girl at the front looks to be about Tris' height with blonde hair in a ponytail and the girls behind her are all taller, two of the girls have brown hair and another has long shiny pink hair, she is the tallest.

Their faces are blurred by the window but the girl at the front puts her hand over her eyes and points furiously at me through the glass. They are only just visible through the blurred glass.

Are they?... No... they can't be... why would they come here...

I run back into the living room and shout up to Serena,

"Serena! There are 4 girls at the door looking in-" I am cut off by her sudden outburst.

"What!?!" She screams and gets down from the sofa running towards me.

"No...no...no...no." She shakes her head as she runs, fear in her eyes.

I am scared too, there could be only one reason she is acting like this.

When Serena rounds the corner she stops in her tracks, looking up at the giant blurred faces staring in at the window.

For some reason the whole thing seems horrific, I am now terrified, adrenaline is coursing through my body.

Serena drops down to her knees, I run around to see if she's ok and she is just staring up at the faces with a look of pure fear.

The girl who was pointing now starts jumping up and down slightly, pointing more frantically and turning around to look at the girls behind her. They move towards the door and I assume 'Emily' the shortest girl, knocks hard on the door.

"Hide... we have to hide." She squeaks.

"It's ok." I realise. "They can't get in."

"No... they can pick the lock." She says slowly and with dread.

I panic, I didn't think of that, not many teenage girls know how to pick a lock.

Who the hell would break in to someone's home just to get to a girl like Serena?

"Follow me, I know a place where they won't find us." I gesture, grabbing her hand and half-hauling her up the stairs.

A constant clicking sound can be heard behind us, coming from the door.

I don't look back.

I run, exhaling and inhaling shakily, I am so scared for some reason, I just know when they get in that it won't be good.

I run along the hallway and into my bedroom staight towards the corner of the room where my hidden compartment is.

Hopefully they won't find us here.

Tris has lived in this room for over 2 years and she hasn't even found it.

Serena is wondering where we are running when I flick up the secret hatch which is hidden in plain sight.

"Wow, that's genius." She gasps.

"Thanks." I reply, not dwelling on the compliment.

We jump in and I pull the piece of carpet closed above us.

Then I flick a hand-sized switch and a light comes on below us, bathing the compartment in light.

"What's this?" Serena asks, pointing at the velvet covered box in the corner.

"Have a look." I say, not looking at it.

My heart is beating a thousand times a second. I have to catch my breath back.

Serena gasps.

"It's beautiful." She says. "Whos is it?"

"It's mine.... well, it's soon to be Tris'." I answer.

"She'll love this."

"Thanks."

We sit in silence, staring at each other for a while, listening to any sounds we can hear in the house.

Suddenly, there is a creaking sound from downstairs, the door swinging open.

They're in.

I feel like I'm hiding and my life depends on it and if I am caught I will just evaporate.

Then we hear someone say something from inside the house.

"Sereeeenaaa, your friends are heeeeeere!" A girl's voice says in an eerily girly tone.

"That's Emily." Serena whispers, gulping.

"So these girls found out where you were living... and then they set out to find the address... just so they could come and see you." I ask her, my tone suggesting this is the weirdest thing I have ever experienced.

Maybe not the weirdest but it's up there.

"Yes." She replies, again in a hushed tone, she looks visibly scared.

"We brought Daniel! He said he wanted to come and see you!" Emily calls up.

She must be shouting directly up the stairs because of the way the sound carries up here.

Serena just sits there with her eyes closed, she must have been through this a lot.

"You and your little friend should come out and play with us!" She shouts up again.

I don't like how she referred to me as her 'little friend'.

"Oooook we're coming up nowww."

The sound of multiple footsteps ascending the wooden stairs can be heard, they must have taken off their shoes because they would have made a clunk sound if they hadn't.

We can hear whispers outside in the hallway and mixed volumes of footsteps.

Some sound further away than others, they must have split up to find us.

When I last saw the time it was 1:00 PM meaning there is still five hours until Tris and Christy get home.

I wonder when they will leave.

We can hear someone walk straight into my bedroom.

I put my finger over my lips and Serena nods, her eyes still wide.

I hear the girl move my bed covers around and open drawers and my wardrobe, surely she doesn't think we could be hiding in there.

We hear her footsteps thud against the carpeted floor, sending small tremors through our hiding place.

She goes silent a few times, probably listening out for us and we hear her shuffling on the carpet, probably looking underneath things like the bed.

After about 10 minutes, we hear her walk out of the bedroom and down the hallway and she says "Not in there" to the other girls in a calm voice.

We both let out tense breaths.

That was nerve wracking.

Serena looks at me with a relieved expression.

Then suddenly we hear Emily again, this time from the hallway outside.

"Sereeeenaaa, come on out, we have a surprise for youuuuu." She says in that same eerily girly voice.

"We'll give you one more chance before we start to torture your old friend here, who you abandoned at the orphanage, shame on you!" She shouts in a fake parent-like voice.

"They wouldn't." Serena whispers, panic in her eyes.

Not wanting her to do anything rash, I keep her calm.

I close my eyes and shake my head, "They're bluffing." I tell her.

We hear more footsteps but they sound lighter than the previous ones and she walks in a different rhythm.

"Serena, come on out, if you don't then I'll break Dan's arm." Emily hisses harshly.

"I'll give you 30 seconds." She warns.

Serena scrambles for the hatch but I pull her back.

"No! Get off me! She'll do it!" She holds back wanting to shout, instead saying it loudly through her teeth. Her eyes look wild with panic and desperation.

I have to calm her down otherwise she'll give us away.

*Click* There is a barely audible click, followed by a scream of agony.

"Ahhhhhhh!" Dan screams for 10 seconds straight.

"Huh, she isn't in here either, I guess now that both your arms are broken I'll have to break your legs in the next rooms." She says calmly to Dan.

I couldn't believe my ears, this girl is beyond cruel, she's evil.

Serena breaks down crying next to me.

I can tell she wants to go and help her friend, I can't let this go on, I'm no coward.

I tell Serena to stay where she is and I leave the safety of this compartment, promising that I'll be back soon.

I heard Emily walk down the hallway, so I walk quickly towards the door and into the hallway.

I stop in my tracks when one of the brown haired girls walks out of the bedroom across the hallway from our bedroom, she doesn't see me and turns, walking towards the bathroom at the end of the hallway.

I look up at her bare legs and feet as she strides away from me, casually walking around in my home like she owns the place. I feel anger boil up inside me.

"Hey!" I shout at the top of my voice.

The girl turns around quickly, at first stunned but then her expression relaxes and she smiles down at me, she looks too happy to see me.

"Why the hell are you in my house!" I scream up at her.

She giggles.

"Well aren't you a little cute guy, girls! I found Serena's friend!" She calls for her friends and walks up to me, towering above me and bending her back to look down at me, her hair cascading around me.

"Hey! Back up!" I call up to her. But it's no use. She isn't listening to me.

The other girls come out of the other rooms and I see Emily walk out of the bathroom, her slim body and the way she stands looks so normal, but I know on the inside she is evil.

"Oh look at you. Let me see you up close." The pink-haired girl says, bending down to grab me.

I try to jump out the way of her hand whilst protesting, but she just laughs along with her friends.

She lifts me up to her face in her cool grasp, I notice she has pale skin, it looks like untouched snow, her eyes are blue and her eyebrows are plucked thin, giving her a very sexy appearance. Her pink hair looks smooth and silky, not a hair out of place.

"So, you're the guy who has Serena all to himself?" She raises her eyebrow suggestively, the other girls laugh.

I see Emily holding Dan by her side, his body drooping and his arms don't look right.

"Serena is a lucky girl, you're actually pretty cute." She speaks to me, not even expecting me to answer, but when I do she looks alarmed.

"Get out of my house right now or I swear I'll-"

"You'll what?" The taller brown haired girl interrupts, she has short brown hair which frames her face, her thin eyebrow is raised, her piercing brown eyes giving me a look which says 'You can't do anything'.

"You've broken into my home. What you're doing is illegal, what you are doing to that kid is inhumane." I can't keep the anger from my voice.

As I am suspended in mid-air I think of what I do from here and I realize there is nothing I can do, my fate is in these girls' hands.

Completely ignoring what I said, the pink haired girl casualy asks Emily what to do with me.

"Emily, what should I do with this little guy?" She turns to face Emily, who's blonde hair is in a ponytail, she reminds me of a miniature Christy in some ways, the way she stands.

"I don't know, we could use him to get Serena to come out?" She suggests.

"She already did that a long time ago, right Kennedy?" The other brown haired girl asks. The three not holding me start laughing.

Kennedy must be the pink-haired girl.

"I swear that bitch will pay for coming onto me." The girl holding me says through gritted teeth.

Serena must be a lesbian, that explains some things.

"Let's just find that bitch." Kennedy says.

She starts to walk into our bedroom, they must know she is in here now.

"Sooo, what are your names?" I ask, indicating to the other two girls, trying to slow them down however I can.

"My name's Oliiiivia." The taller girl says in an overly girly voice.

"And my name's Kay." The smaller girl says, plainly and without too much emotion.

"You do realize the police are on their way." I say to them, keeping a straight face.

They look between each other worryingly, but Emily speaks up, obviously the brains between them, I chuckle to myself.

"You're lying, otherwise they would have been here by now." She tests me.

"What if I'm not lying?" I reply, trying to confuse her.

She narrows her eyes at me.

"I know you're lying, because you don't look confident enough. Plus why would you tell us that? We could have ran away before they got here." She reasons.

"I like him." She says with a smirk.

Olivia jumps on my bed and rests against the back, her head propped up on the pillow, she notices Tris' pajamas and compares them to herself.

"Your wife must be pretty flat-chested." She scoffs, trying to get a reaction from me.

This doesn't offend me one bit, because her assumption is all wrong, they'll hopefully see her in all her anger soon enough.

"My wife is away on a business trip, right now it's just me and Serena on our own." I lie.

They all look at each other with excited glances, they bought it.

"When does she get back?" Emily asks, her eyes filled with excitement.

"A week." The lie rolls off my tongue.

They all squeal in excitement, now they don't suspect a thing.

"Ok, since we are going to be staying here for the next 6 days, how about we get finding Serena out of the way?" Kay asks.

"Ok then, first I want you to put Daniel down." I ransom.

"Ok." Emily replies, she shrugs and lets go of him.

He falls to the floor.

Emily didn't realize there was a hairdryer beneath her.

Daniel hits the hairdryer head first with a sickening crack and rolls limp, along the carpet before coming to a stop, blood trickling from his head wound.

The girls just stare down at him, with a small amount of fascination.

I however can't believe what I've just witnessed.

"Hey! Call an ambulance now!" I scream at her, immensely angry at her for her complete disregard for his life.

She nudges him with her big toe, he doesn't react, he just rolls, lifeless.

"Nah, he's dead." She says folding her arms over her chest, snickering quietly along with Olivia. The other two just continue to look down at him with fascination before snapping out of their trance.

"Woops, sorry that had to happened little guy." Kennedy apologizes on behalf of Emily.

Suddenly Serena comes running out of nowhere.

"No!" She shouts, running along the carpet, her tiny feet making little distance until she falls next to Dan's body, crying over him.

I told her to stay where she was.

"Well, that was easy." Emily observes, before nudging Serena away from Dan's body with her foot and proceeding to pick her up.

"Look, the whole family is here." Emily laughs, glaring at me with a smirk oozing with malicious intent.l

Kennedy stuffs me into her shorts pocket.

I gulp, only three hours and Tris and Christy will be here to save the day.

I have just witnessed a 16 year old girl carelessly murder a 13 year old boy.

Why are people so cruel?

------
Chapter End Notes:
The next few chapters will spice up a bit. Please leave a review about the chapter :) Thanks!