- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

I went a bit off the deep in with the bio preview. Hopefully this makes up for it. 

 

New World: Past Tense

 

Ramona Part 2 : Changes

 

Ramona shuffled to her locker fighting the flow of students that flooded out of their first period classes. The hallways were abuzz with conversations about who was dating who or what plans they had for summer break. Even some rumors about students who were missing and the possibility of the school shutting down. She reached her locker and quickly put in her three digit combination. She reached in for her Social Studies  textbook and felt a hand on her shoulder. It ran down her spine sending shivers through her body till it reached the small of her back. She smiled before she was turned and her lips were captured in a tender if brief kiss.

“Morning.” Greg greeted with a blush.

“You’re getting bolder.” Ramona teased.

“Am I?” Greg asked suddenly self conscious. “I didn’t mean to off-”

“Quiet.” Ramona instructed silencing him with another kiss. “I was only teasing.” She looked up at her boyfriend. He was so shy and cute, still adjusting to being more than friends. He was tall and handsome yet didn’t even realize it. Too many years spent hiding with her in the library had given him a complex. He hid his looks behind shaggy hair and a rough beard. She would change all that, but not till after they graduate.

“Guess what?” he asked with a grin.

Ramona paused and turned her head expectantly.

“I got the job!” he shouted. She jumped into his arms and for a moment he held her of the ground.

“Babe that’s great!” Ramona shouted. “What position?”

“I just a part timer and it doesn’t pay too well yet, but there’s training and I get benefits! Just think of it soon we might be able to even get our own place.”

“That’s amazing news I’m so proud of you.” Ramona beamed giving him another light peck. The bell rang signaling the second class and the two reluctantly gasped.

“I’ve got math.” Greg informed.

“Life and Society.” Ramona said waving her book. The two embraced one last time before parting in opposite directions.

 

The door opened with a gust as Walter burst into the living room. He did a quick scan and rushed about picking up any loose bill he could find. A quick count revealed a meager seven dollars and fifty-three cents, not nearly enough to get by another month. He had to think. It was 9:42 which meant mom was probably at work. Dad was overseas doing whatever the fuck it was professors did, and Ramona was at school. That meant the only one at home with any money was Mary. He smiled. In an instant he was upstairs looking in the startled eyes of his beloved little sister.

 

English class dragged on. It was the end of the year and both the teacher and students knew they were just going through the motions. There were no more tests to take, no more book reports, no more presentations. As she sat at her desk in a state of perpetual writer’s block Ramona wondered why she even bothered to bring her text book. Suddenly the teacher cleared his throat.

“Okay I think we can all agree that we’re pretty much done here.” He spoke. “So I’ll just turn on the t.v and we can watch the news for the next forty minutes and you can write a short paper on it due by...let’s say next week. The class just nodded in agreement. He grabbed the remote from his desk and soon most of the class was focused on the Channel 3 mid morning broadcast.

 

“What are you doing here?” Mary asked with a crack in her voice.

“Just thought I’d drop by.” Walter yawned. “Maybe see what I can scrounge up.” He trailed off as his eyes travelled instinctively towards Mary’s purse.

“You want money.” she said flatly.

“If you don’t mind.” he smiled.

The air was still as they both stared at each other. They both knew this was a courtesy. Walter would take the money regardless of what she said. Mary reached into her purse and retrieved her wallet. She fished out three  one-hundred dollar bills and threw them on her desk.

“Take it and leave.” she spat.

“Why such hostility.” He leaned against the frame of the door. “I live here too.”

“Please!” Mary shot. “You don’t want to be here either. You only come around when you need money. Or food. Or when you just want to terrorize people!”

“That hurts.” He bent over resting his arms on the desk she was at. “Maybe I just miss you guys.” He grabbed the bills and gave them a quick count. “Is this all you have?”

“Sorry. I don’t get paid till Friday.”

“Hrmm maybe I’ll stick around a bit then. Haven’t seen Ramona in a while. She’s graduating soon isn’t she?”

Mary froze at the thought. Ramona wasn’t around Walter much. She didn’t know what had happened to him, what he had become.

“No, Wally!” she fought. “I don’t want her caught up in your shit. Whatever this little power trip you’re having is has nothing to do with her!”

“You’re not mom, you can’t tell me what to do.” he informed with a smug glance. “Not that she can do anyth-” He was cut off as the ground shook in a powerful earthquake. It stopped as soon as it started before starting again. Then the entire house went dark as if clouds had blocked out the light of the sun.

“What the fuck?” Walter exclaimed.

Mary went toward her bedroom window and looked out to see the entire backyard covered in shadow. Then the earth shook again. She could see her next door nieghbors staring up at something from their backyard pool. She turned to Walter and gave him a look.

“Eclipse?” he guessed. The earth shook again and a loud boom erupted from outside shaking the house and rattling the windows. “I’ll go check it out.”

In a flash he was downstairs and out the door then he came to an abrupt halt as he discovered the origin of the sudden tremors.

“Fuck.” he cursed as he cracked a nervous smile and broke in a cold sweat.

“Hey son.” a  booming voice came from above. “It’s been a while.”

 

Ramona doodled absentmindedly in her notebook as the new report continued. It was an in depth piece on the current state of the nation in wake of the new global phenomenon. It was the hot topic and was being covered almost twenty four seven for the past year. The funny thing is that nobody knew what to call it. The anchorwomen cut to a street correspondent interviewing a man with a bushy moustache and a trucker hat.

“I think it’s all hogwash.” The man said with a country accent. “Giants, super powered freaks, it’s all a scheme cooked up by the government to keep us scared.”

The correspondent went to another person when a read banner crossed the screen and it cut back to the anchor women.

“Breaking News! An accident has been reported at Cherished Heart General Hospital. We’ve got Floyd Brandon live on the scene.”

The t.v. cut to a rather young reporter who was shaking with visible stage fright. “Thanks Jan. We’re live at Cherished with what many are speculating as a large explosion blowing out the left side of the building.”

Ramona’s eyes snapped to alertness at the name “Cherished” that’s where her mom worked.

“The police are on the scene.” Floyd continued. “There is yet to be any casualties reported but we’re still waiting for further details. Back to you Jan.”

“Thank you Floyd. Please keep us updated. Now onto this weeks forecast.”

Ramona felt a twinge of anticipation at news. She hoped her mother was okay. Then a static was heard through the room as the intercom sparked to life.

“Ramona Sanders, please report to the principal’s office. I repeat Ramona Sanders, please report to the principal’s office.”

Ramona gulped as her mind prepared for the worst.

 

When she reached the principal’s office Ramona was somewhat surprised to see her sister waiting for her with Walter!? She hadn’t seen him in month’s. In her head it only confirmed her fears.

“I just saw the news is everything okay?” She went toward her brother and gave him a hug. “Is mom okay?”

“That depends on your definition.” Walter remarked snidely. He looked pale and seemed on edge like he’d just gotten a death sentence.

Ramona turned to Mary. “What’s happening she’s not hurt is she?”

“No she’s not hurt.” Mary informed.

“But the explosion?”

“it wasn’t an explosion it was-”

“Why spoil it for her.” Walter intercepted. “I’m sure she’ll get a real kick out of it.”

Suddenly Mary’s phone rang. “Emily! Thank god you called back!” she said.

“What’s happening?” Ramona shrieked.

 

The car ride was an awkward one. Mary was deep into conversation on the phone with Emily. Words like ‘facility’ and ‘damages” were being tossed around. Even stranger Walter had decided not to join them insisting he could get home faster on his own, which was strange considering as for a Ramona could figure he didn’t have a car. She was growing more worried by the second. Why all the secrecy? Why did Walter seem so shaken? What was he doing home in the first place? She glanced out the window watching the houses and trees pass by when she spotted something out the corner of her eye. For a brief moment she thought she spied Walter running on the street right next to the car.

“That’s not possible.” She thought. Her eyes must be playing tricks on her. The stress must be getting to her.

“Mary please what’s going on?” she tried.

“Hold on a sec.” Mary paused her phone conversation.

“Things are….changing.” Mary said. “You’re better off asking mom at this point. Don’t worry we’re almost there.”

 

As they pulled into the neighborhood Ramona was taken off guard by the surprising amount of cop cars on the block. Then it seemed to get dark for no reason. The car stopped and the door opened and Walter was on the otherside!

“You sure took your time Mar.”  Mary ignored him continuing her talk with Emily.

“How did you get her so fast?” Ramona asked.

“I ran.” he stated evenly.

Ramona giggled. “I’m serious.”

“If you think that’s funny just look up.” 

“What?” Ramona wasn’t sure why but she felt a tinge of fear. What was going on? Why was it so dark? She felt a hand on her shoulder. It was Mary. She gave her a warm smile and pointed her thumb up and backwards. Ramona followed the thumb to the origin of the shadow  and what she saw nearly made her jaw fall off. Above her was the face of Gloria Sanders mother of three and nurse at Cherished Heart. She was draped in a large grey tarp that on her look like a parka. She was also over one-hundred feet tall.

“Hello honey. How was school” Her mom greeted.

 

They had dinner outside that night. With her mom being a giant it sort of made options limited.

“How does it feel.” Ramona asked as she sat with her siblings cradled in her mother’s open palms.

“Everything just seems so small and fragile. I’m kind of a klutz so I’m worried I might break something.”

:”Does dad know?”

“He was the first one I called.” Her mom smiled. “He’s catching the next flight here although I don’t think he believes me.”

“What’s going to happen to us? What happens to you? Where will you live?”

“Honey, don’t worry about me. My main concern has always and will always be you kids. Even you Walter.”

Walter sneered and spat off the edge of her hand. “Whatever.” he replied coldly. “I’m gone.” In a flash he was off her hand and speeding down the street.

“Wild.” Ramona remarked.

“He’ll come around.” her mom smiled.

Ramona looked up at her mom. She somehow seemed more content. The Gloria Ramona knew was a ball of nerves. Often working long hours at the hospital and juggling the needs of the family. Now she seemed strangely at ease, like she had discovered the mysteries of the universe.

“Don’t worry too much.” Mary comforted. Mom’s not the first this has happened to. Remember Em’s sister?”

Ramona nodded.

“There’s temporary housing for what the government’s calling class 2 elevated beings.”

“Elevated. Is that what Walter is?”

“If he is they don’t have a name yet.”

“What did it feel like? When it happened?” Ramona asked. Both her daughters looked up expectant.

“I’d been feeling strange for a few days now. Hot like I was having a fever. I thought I was going through menopause. Then at the hospital I had such a high fever I passed out. My skin felt like it was on fire. Then I woke up like this.”

“Nobody was hurt were they.” Mary asked.

“No.” Gloria reassured. “I was in the new wing there were about to open it was pretty much empty.”

“This is crazy.” Ramona revealed.

“It has been an exciting day.” Gloria agreed.

“Are you gonna sleep here tonight?”

“No I’ll be sleeping at  the facility.I actually have to leave pretty soon.” She hugged her two daughters to her cheek before returning them to the ground.

“Ms. Sanders.” Came a gruff voice. Both girls turned to see a giant of a man walking towards them. He wore a military uniform and was nearly fifteen feet tall. “We’ve got to go before you lose your spot at the facility.”

“Yes of course.” Gloria nodded.

“I’m gonna miss you mom!” Ramona shouted hugging an oversized toe.

“It’s okay Ramona I’ll be back tomorrow.” She then stood up at her full height and for a moment Ramona could see how massive she’d becoming. Even that monster of a man barely reached below her knee. She gave her daughters one last smile before trudging down the road with a procession of cop cars behind her.

“Wild.” Ramona repeated.



 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Ramona and Greg really seem to like each other don't they? I wonder how long that will last?