- Text Size +

Chapter Three

 

           I couldn’t believe that they had done it. My best friend and my boyfriend stabbed me in the back. It’s funny how you always think that your best friend has your back, if there isn’t anyone else you can count on its them. I mean they are people you love most besides your family. You can always count on your best friend. I would have done anything for Tara. Her mom use to make us cookies, we would run home from school everyday and she would just be pulling them out of the oven.  They would be so soft that they would melt to pieces in your mouth.  Some of the fondest memories I have are those that I have with Tara. Growing up, high school, grade school, boys, the list goes on and on.  I never thought it would turn out like this. Never once in a million a years did I think I would be sitting here in a dirty old cross trainer, no more then an inch tall talking to a sock to keep from going insane. 

           I guess the part about you is that you wont betray me, you wont still what is near and dear to me. the one person who I felt like I could share the world with you would never dream of taking that from me. You’re how a friend is supposed to be, a good listener.

           The ground began to shake from side to side. Kacie grabbed onto the sock to stabilize herself a bit. The entire shoe began to shimmy from side to side. The shoe began to tilt sending Kacie sliding end over end to the toe section of the shoe. Kacie slammed against the wall of the toe end of the shoe, then fell into a heap as light began to shine in through the mouth of the shoe. Kacie rolled her head over looking up the long tunnel towards the light. The sweet scent of jasmine caught the attention of Kacie’s nose.

           “Hey there” softly said Tara. The smell of Chocolate on her breath caused Kacie’s taste buds to dance with anticipation. She could almost state the sweet, sweet creamy taste in her mouth. Kacie closed her eyes just concentrating on the smells of the outside world. The jasmine and chocolate became her focus, it was only for a moment that Tara allowed this bliss to happen but Kacie relished each moment of it. The shoe began to tilt the other way and Kacie slid into the opposite wall, the light caused her eyes to snap shut tightly. Kacie opened her eyes just a crack but it was still enough for the bright light to block out much of her view. It hurt to look up and out at the world that use to be so familiar, that she would take for granted. Kacie could make out Tara’s eyes plain as day but much of anything else was difficult to see.

           “You know, I can see why you like Trevor so much. He didn’t want to sleep with me at first. I had to work hard to get him into bed with me. You shouldn’t hate him for it. How could he resist, even the strongest men will eventually break. Succumb to temptation. He was amazing though.” Casually said Tara.

           “You bitch, I thought we were friends, I thought…” bellowed Kacie at the top of her lungs.

           “You know, Trevor really is too good for you. It’s funny how things work out in the end. Trevor is going to be devastated at your disappearance and will need a friend to comfort him. Our common pain will bond us together Kacie, the pain of losing you.”

           “Why are you doing this to me? I…”

           “I was getting to that, you see why and how is lying on your bed. It’s all about common interests. Do you know what its like always being in your shadow. Always watching you get the good men, watching you always smile and be so cheery. Look at me I am Kacie I get straight A’s and captain the basketball team. I made all conference but its not big deal. Its tiring living in your shadow and then someone you know well fell into my lap, I’m done with you. I have what everything I want, for once I am happy. Look I’m smiling ain’t it grand Kacie.”

           Kacie shocked could only look up through the small slits in her eyes, the light still bothering her, part of her wanting to run back down into the dark depths of the shoe where the light no longer could reach her, where everything seemed so simple. Only yesterday was the only thought that Kacie had left.

 

Only yesterday my memories didn’t seem so far away.

My smile wasn’t like a rainy day.

 

Only yesterday my door had a key.

I wasn’t like a bottle on the open sea.

 

Only yesterday it didn’t hurt to hear my name.

Love and pain didn’t seem one in the same.

 

Only yesterday loneliness was a distant star.

Right now, yesterday seems so far.

 

           The shoe shuttered as it fell onto the bed. Kacie was shocked to find the shoe on its side. The figure of Tara disappeared until she heard the click of the door. Across the room Kacie could make out her bed, the first thing that came to Kacie’s mind was how good it felt to see her bed. How familiar and peaceful it made her feel. There was then a squeak, a squeak Kacie knew to well. There was someone on her bed, she was not alone. Was this what Tara meant or was Trevor still here? Trevor, the name brought a calm over her. It was going to be all right. Just maybe, it was going to be okay.