- Text Size +
Adventures of Mice like Men: History's Future


By

asukafan2001


. Kevin has never been an unattractive man so to speak. He just loved science more then the opposite sex. In high school he spent a lot of his time in this basement working on various inventions, gadgets, and gizmos. It wasn’t still the summer in between his sophomore and junior years of high school that he really started seriously working towards a project. It all started one night when he was drinking. Kevin isn’t exactly a heavy drinker so after a few screwdrivers he is about at his max. While Kevin was under the influence he started working on a project. It took him a few months to discover what exactly he was working on and even then he wasn’t sure why he was doing it. Whatever would a matter displacement machine be of use for? The sheer challenge of seeing if it could be done is what hooked Kevin along with his ambition, his prowess as an inventor on that night is what hooked him.

Three years have passed by since that night. Kevin Polk is now 19 years old almost 20. He now has short blonde hair, blue eyes. He stands at about 5’10” tall. In the past three years, much to the chagrin of his parents, family, and friends he put full effort into this machine. It became his life. His school worked slipped. He had no love life. He had even fewer friends. Today, today is the day the lord shined down on Kevin.

“Today on January 3rd of 2002 I have finished my machine. I am not only the greatest mind of the century but ever HAHAHAHAHAHA”
Kevin excitedly ran over and finished up his notes. He ran up stairs and checked if his parents were around but they were long gone for the day. Kevin was very thankful that his dad was not home. His dad for the past few months had been on his case about moving out and getting a job.

“Well dad, it looks like today I become a multi billionaire and I will be out of your hair, out from under your roof. I will be my own man today.” Kevin said to himself.

Kevin had one last thought. On the practicality edge of things since he has plans to use this machine on him. He won’t be able to physically press a button. So Kevin quickly built a remote for the machine using one of the old TV remotes they had up stairs. Glancing at the clock Kevin saw only a matter of a couple hours before his parents would be home. Never being that much of a patient man Kevin wanted to get on with the testing. He grabbed a near by wrench and placed it on the pad. As Kevin pressed in the button he half expected for something to blow up but as he pressed in the button a beautiful blue light shone out from the nozzle of his machine. It covered the wrench and broke it down cell by cell by cell till it was merely a pattern of particles saved onto a computer hard drive. Kevin decided that the table was a good place for the wrench to reappear at. As he typed in the coordinates. He watched eagerly as the wrench reappeared on the table exactly where it was suppose to come back too. With a grin on his face Kevin said to himself.

“IM going to be a rich man!”

Caught up in the moment and excitement of things Kevin punched in coordinates that would place him outside his door. He then moved himself onto the pad. Kevin made sure that he had the remote control for the machine firmly in his hands and then he pressed the button. Slowly he watched a blue light cover his body. Everything in the room had a blue tint to it. Astonished was Kevin that he could feel the scanner probe his body to save it onto the hard drive. At this very moment the unfortunate happened. Kevin heard his dad stomp into the doorway.

“Why the hell is it so dark in this house? I pay good money for electricity why the hell aren’t we using it? You home boy? I bet you’re in that confounded lab. I told you once; I told you twice get a damn job.”

Kevin quickly realizing what his dad would eventually do. “DAD NO don’t turn on the lights”

Since Kevin was now just a series of molecules at this moment he had no vocal chords. He looked over at the timer and hoped the process would be finished soon. As Kevin’s dad walked in towards the kitchen he flicked on the lights in the family room. The extra bit of strain was just enough to blow the fuse. However just before the fuse blew the turning on of the light switch caused an extra surge of power then an overload in the system. The process of the matter displacement machine was accelerated by 400% Kevin felt his body being shot out at an incredible rate to his target location. Everything seemed to be moving by so fast but he could not see or tell where exactly he was. Maybe it was going to slow? Kevin kept thinking it should be over. This should be over.

Finally his body started to rematerialize. The clank of his feet hitting the metal platform reverberated down the entire metal walkway as Kevin was successfully recreated. The moment he opened his eyes he could tell something was wrong. A gigantic foot was floating above him. The pressure coming off of the shoe was forcing Kevin flat against the metal walkway. As he tried to turn his head to either side he quickly found out that he was unable to move any part of his body. All he could do was lay on the metal walkway until the shoe moved away.

“Katie lets get going back to my house, I don’t want to be late for dinner. We are having actual steak tonight. Not capsules I mean real steak! You should come!”

“Oh boy Really, real food. I can’t simply wait I get solid food. Okay you can count me in”

The pressure from the shoe was turned non-existent as the two girls floated away. Kevin picked his body up off the floor and finally got a chance to look around. But his mind wasn’t on his surroundings at the moment, nor where the hell he was. It was the weird conversation the girls had. Kevin ran through the many possibilities in his mind but he couldn’t fathom anything. Why would two people be so excited to eat food? And what are capsules? Shaking his head and chalking it up just some dumb teenage girls’ conversation Kevin started walking down the metal walkway. Clearly on the side of the walkway there was a large wall jutting up then it looked like it was a plateau up after you reach the top of the wall. Strange was all Kevin could come up with. As he walked straight-ahead trying to see the end of this walkway he was however unable too.

Hours past as Kevin could do nothing but walk. Eventually finally seeing another person Kevin ran ahead towards the girl. She had long blonde hair that was pulled back using a tie dyed scrunchy. She had on a white shirt and a blue vest of some type and some strange blue pants that matched the vest. She appeared to be sitting atop the large wall that was jutting upward from the metal platform. The platform looked clearly too small for her because her legs were stretched out so she could sit comfortably. The closer Kevin got he still couldn’t figure out what the material was. Continuing to get closer and closer a second thing popped into Kevin’s mind. Feeling rather stupid that he didn’t put two and two together. The size of the people here are different and where is here exactly? The weird floating shoes, the strange material, the odd size of everyone. What is going on?

“Ugh this stupid bag, it always makes my back sore”

As Kevin grows nearer, and nearer a gigantic bag is thrown towards him. The mammoth bag looks like it weighs thousands of tons. Kevin closes his eyes as the shadow from the bag falls over him. A minute passes into two minutes. Kevin finally opens his eyes and looks for the bag. No where in sight, and his body not crushed? Kevin instinctively looks up to see the bag floating above him. In awe of the scientific ingenuity that would have to go into an invention like that boggles his mind. Kevin picks his mouth up from the ground and he decides to ask the girl a few questions.

Kevin runs his fingers over the soft material of her pants. As he presses into the soft material it doesn’t budge. Kevin starts pressing harder and harder and soon he is pounding on her pant leg.

“Astonishing, her pants exert a direct amount of outward force that is put into it.”

Never being the social type, Kevin decides that maybe he should just try what he should have done to start with.
“Excuse me, lady can you hear me.”

Kevin stares at her massive size as she scans the area around her for someone. Quickly seeing no one she places her eyes back down on her palm pda.

“Please, look down on here, by your leg. Help me!”

He watched almost in slow motion as their eyes met. She lets out a loud gasp and drops her palm pda right next to Kevin. Kevin glances down at the screen and notices the date. January 3rd 3002.

“Are you a real person?”

“Please miss; help me, im cold, and lost, and scared. I just want to go back home. This is all so much for me. I thought I could handle this. I mean I could kind of accept the floating people, I got past your floating back pack, I accepted the monstrous size of everyone, well okay im still working on the last one, but now that I see according your little screen over there its the year 3002. I just can’t handle all this.”

The girl looks down at him with a look of glee in her eyes. “How come you’re so small. You look like your only about 6 feet tall.”

“What do you mean im not smaller?”

“Of course your smaller, your only 6 feet tall there shorty.”

“But where I come from im considered average height.”
“Where you come from? You’re not from here?”

“Well that depends where is here?”

“Oh brother, always to me. Well why fight the strange events. Okay you’re on the planet earth, in the city of New York, like you said its January 3rd, now 4th. And yes you are small im short im only 52’5” tall. But you, you’re like a doll.”

“Oh that clarifies everything” thanks

Kevin starts to walk away then the world gets dizzy, the walkway spinning around and around. The girl now has triplets that look like her. Her face is now everywhere. Finally, to Kevin’s relief he feints.

Days have passed as Kevin finally awakes but he has yet to open his eyes. Everywhere around him he feels warmth and softness against his skin. He stretches his arms out and feels the soft material as far as he can reach. As he opens his eyes he spots the massive bed of this girl. As he walks across her bed with every step he takes he sinks in towards the bed. He walks over to the edge of the bed.

“It’s a long ways down!”

The girl walks in just as Kevin starts to swing his leg over the side to try to crawl down. As he places his other leg down he searches with his foot for a foot hold. He finally comes across a strong foothold. He then moves his other foot over to a near by foothold.

“God I hope this goes by without any disastrous events”

As he places he goes to move his next foot down Kevin cant seem to get his foot around the foothold. He looks down to see what the problem is and that is when he sees what his foothold really is. It’s the girl’s hand. Her titanic hand. He starts to walk across her hand. Her soft skin feels heavenly against his hard rough feet. Kevin shivers a little as he looks at her.

“Hi, im glad your feeling better. Im sorry I didn’t introduce myself to you early its just I didn’t even think of you as a person. I k now its wrong im sorry. But lets start over K? Im Danica and you are?”

Im Kevin thanks for taking care of me Danica. I appreciate it. I don’t know what I have done without you.

Over the next few months Kevin and Danica grow closer, and closer. Going to the park, and movies, taking walks, well she walks Kevin sits atop her shoulder. Next week they have a little meal planned to introduce Kevin to the family.

“Are you sure you’re going to be all right Kev? I wish I could bring you to Katie’s house but it wouldn’t be much fun for you.”

“Oh don’t worry about me, I will watch your TV and maybe catch up on my sleep.”

“Okay but what's what did you call it TV?”

“What is a TV? You know television. You do have that don’t you?”

“Oh just a second.”
Danica rustles around in her backpack and pulls out a gigantic book. She starts flipping through the pages.

“Oh here it is. Television. A machine invented in the 1950’s to bring entertainment and information to households across the world. Programs such as I love Lucy; the honeymooners were popular upon its first arrival then in the 90’s the TV Empire boomed. Shows like Beverly Hills 90210, Dark Angel, Law and Order that became hits. Is that the machine you are referring to Kevin?”

“Yeah so where is it?”

“Hmm how to put this. We don’t have television. We have developed much better ways to use our time then staring into a box.”

“Oh, well okay, but you can use my computer and maybe find some archived shows.”

A flat screen is dropped right next to Kevin. It’s a screen about the size of a Game boy.

“Well got to go Hun bye love you”
The door swings shut with a bang as Kevin is left alone for the first time since his arrival. A few hours pass uneventfully then the door to Danica’s room swings open. Kevin runs to the edge of the bed expecting it to be her but he quickly realizes his error as he sees her sister Jamie standing in the doorway. Wanting to run but knowing he has already been spotted Kevin just stands there as she quickly crosses the space between them. Her hand shoots around Kevin. Her fingers are everywhere. They have formed a tomb almost encircling them. He feels a great pressure pressing against his back. It slams him against front of her hand as she lifts him high up into he air. She moves him close to her face. Twisting and turning him around like he is some kind of trivial toy she then shrugs and walks out of Danica’s room towards her own. As soon as they enter a foul smell assaults Kevin’s nose. He sees dirty clothes, dirty dishes, everywhere in the room.

“You can’t do this to me you. You return me to Danica right now! Do you hear me Jamie!”
“I don’t know what you are or who you are and I don’t care. You’re going to mine now. You wont ever see my sister Danica again so you can just put your memories of her in the back of your mind because your going to be working for me. And little guy I hope you’re smart because you’re going to be doing homework and if you don’t. Well im sure I could find an entertaining way to dispose of you. But for now, I need my beauty sleep. Jamie tosses Kevin onto her dresser top and then pulls her covers up and immediately drifts off to sleep. What an idiot. I can just climb off her dresser. Kevin walks a few feet and then hits a invisible wall. He turns and runs back the way he came and slams into a invisible wall.

“Damn, it looks like she has me in some kind of cage. I guess I have to wait for an opportunity to escape”


Im not sure when it happened exactly but I either fell asleep or passed out but it doesn’t matter how it happened. When I awoke the shinning brown locks of Jamie’s hair were surrounding my body. My first thought that came into my head was that the force field like cage she had me in must be down. Whether it was by predictability or just by intelligence of how the human mind works she quickly in formed me that it was still up. I find out much later how the process actually works. The computer chip that runs it is smart enough to know her DNA pattern from the objects, which is in here‘s DNA pattern. So it merely rejects entrance to all other DNA patterns. Quite intelligent ingenuity if you ask me. But for the first time since I could remember I did not care how a machine worked. I could only think about Danica. What would she think when she came home and I was not there? For the past few months everyday when she came home there I would be on her bed smiling and I would wave to her. When she walked in that door the light from the window would make her deep, dark blue eyes sparkle. They would almost appear to ripple like a single solitary droplet of water dropped into a pool and a small series of waves careen out from that one centralized point. The ripples so to speak acted as a plane on which your eyes explored her beauty. From the way the light shining in through the window onto the left would make the whole left side of her hair become a glorious white. The kind of white you see coming from an extreme source of heat. How the flames in the middle will be a bright white that your eyes are somehow drawn too. They transfix on that white light because its rare to find and see something so hot that it burns white. Because in its own way its beautiful. Then on the right side of her head her hair would be dark and shadowed. A complete contrast so to speak to her left. Everyday as she would walk towards me the light slowly peeling off of her hair to reveal its graceful blonde coloring. The sparkle and ripple in her eyes fading away too just its deep rich blue color. The closer she got her sheer height would deprive me from seeing those warm eyes. Soon my vision, my sight would be straining to just capture that beauty that I lost but the closer she got the less, and less I could see. Soon it would be only her chin then not her face at all. Then her hands would shoot out towards me. They would surround me so quick and yet it all seemed in slow motion. The very moment her hands would surround me. Even before they would touch me I could feel the heat radiating off from her hands. I would immediately get so warm. I would feel safe, and protected. Her fingers would curl around my body. The pressure would feel like your being constantly hugged. The pressure would be all around me and I would have no fear. The warmth from her would just make me tired. My eyes would get so heavy but I would force them open just so I could look at her once again. See her face for just one more moment. Let her eyes stare into me for one more second almost as if they were peering into my soul. Searching out my thoughts and finding just the right things to say without her ever having to speak a word. She would then move her finger so it was right above me and gently stroke the top of my head then down my neck. Her skin would feel so silky smooth. It would just roll over me, comforting me, drawing me ever so closer to that sleep which I fought just like the last knight swinging is sword to protect his king and his kingdom from the on coming predators. I would always lose out on that fight but I would try everyday to win. To just once be able to not have to loose sight of her. So I wouldn’t have to feel alone in this world. Now however I am alone. Where once was the warmth of Danica comforting me is now Jamie’s dark brown locks of hair. Where there should be the bright light shining on Danica’s hair there is just the bleak, black dark shadows down to the very tips of her hair. Her eyes not the soft blue tranquil ocean waters of Danica’s eyes but just black. Evil blackness, Dark knights so to speak marching towards a village. Chopping and slaying any whom falls in their path. Not caring for those who fall to their blade as long as their purpose was met. I was that village they were marching towards.

Her face not soft, not so soft your head would sink into it like a feather pillow, but it is only jagged and rough. Her voice not a melody that was made just for you to make your ears dance, but the drumming, drumming of a legion of England’s soldiers marching towards an American settlement in there perfect red uniforms, in there perfect rows. The drumming of there drums being played over and over again at same pace pounding into your soul driving you so mad that by the time the soldiers came you welcomed death. Death to escape the drumming, escape of the pain that was in your soul. If Danica was an angel, Jamie had to be one of hell’s demons. Her cold icy gaze made me freeze. She slowly pronounced each word, each syllable perfectly. What she said I do not know. I never saw it coming. The cold steel nail sheering through my shoulder. The steel now blood covered nails tearing through my bone like a butcher knife through a slab of beef. The coldness of steel radiated throughout my body. My insides shivered like on a cold winter’s morning waiting for the school bus. When even in your winter jacket and hat the cold winter air still made your shake. It would send shivers down your spine. Your ears would feel like they would fall off if you did not get warm. Your fingers felt so very cold and stiff. All you could do was stand their wait. Then soon you would feel nothing from the numbness of your joints but I do not have that luxury. My joints don’t numb; the yellow bus doesn’t act as my white knight on his trusty steed so to speak brining me my much needed warmth and comfort. All I got was another nail right through my left shoulder. Now both shoulders pinned, the nails stuck up into the air like mountainous peaks. My mind swelled from the pain. The laughter of Jamie’s voices pounding repeatedly in my head. My ears swelling from the constant blare of her voice. My head ringing so loudly, not just ringing but aching, maybe even crying out. Wanting to be saved, wanting to be heard but it speaks a language no one knows. It’s in a world with no people. In a place where there are no hero’s to rescue you. Only the pain, only the coldness of the steel nails running throughout your body. You await, soon expect the numbness but it doesn’t come. Soon it is almost mocking you, making a fool of you. So badly you want it to come. You want it to save you from this pain you cannot describe. This unrelenting pain which there is no cure. You cannot be saved by even death, because even there the coldness will haunt you. The sight of Jamie’s dark eyes burned into my soul as my dying sight. So when my cold clammy eyes would shut all I would see is her. Her dark evil eyes dancing in joy at my pain. When I would search for the love, safety, and security of Danica. All I would find is coldness; the cold steel through my shoulder but it may as well be my heart. The face of evil is mine to bear. The voice of death is mine to hear. Finally, finally I am saved. Numbness, has taken over, I feel nothing but the unrelenting pounding in my head. The coldness is now locked away in my heart. Hiding those feelings of love, those feelings of warmth. Covering them up, shoving them deeper and deeper into the darkest cavern of the deepest trench. Just when I think it’s all over, my eyes shoot open. Expecting to see the face of death herself. I see Danica in the door. My warmth, my sweetness, my angel here to save me from the clutches of the dark empress. My eyes trail over from Danica, to Jamie. In her eyes I see unrelenting, unwavering, death. Death like the British soldiers brought to thousands of American’s during the revolutionary war. Death like mighty Roman Empire brought to so many grand civilizations. I lastly see one nail above my chest. The tip of the nail touches my body ever so slightly. The cold tip brings back the memories of moments before. The dark, cold, evil thoughts running rampant through my head. I glance over quickly to see the pain in Danica’s eyes. She is running so fast, so very fast. But it only takes the slightest pressure to send this nail through my chest, through my heart. To send blood gushing up through my mouth. Jamie looks over at her sister then back at me. One last time her head sways over to see Danica now just a mere few feet from her body. Danica now has full vision of my pain. Full vision of my body and that is when, that is when she does it. That is when she shoves the nail through my chest. My eyes bug out. I search to see Danica one last time but all I see Jamie, Jamie’s burning hatred. Jamie’s Jealousy, Jealousy of me? Jealousy of me but why? Why like this? I was so happy. Now I see black, no, not black I see Jamie. I see Jamie’s eyes etched with the cold, cold steel of a sword into my soul. Her hatred forever covering my body in a tomb of darkness. The cold, cold pain everywhere I can feel it now. My soul entrapped, enshrouded in this web of darkness unable to leave my body. My body forced to endure this. My soul that is I forced to feel death forever? For all of time? For five minutes? For how long? So many stories get to end with he lived happily ever after. Why cant mine? Why can’t mine.... Why..... Can’t...... Mine.............

The End