- Text Size +
After walking a couple blocks I made it to the Public Library. Books galore. Usually, I don't read much. But, at the moment, that's all I really can do. After reading a magazine or two, I'll head down to the arcade. Hopefully my friend John is working today. He's an awesome friend, and he let's me play for free sometimes. He opens the machines and gives me some quarters. He's a really cool guy.

I met John a couple years ago, in middle school. I was eating lunch alone, as usual. He was a new student. He came right smack middle in 6th grade year. It was first day and he was extremely shy. As I was eating my ham sandwich, I see him with his tray, in the middle of the lunch room, scratching his head. I was like him once except... no one took me in. I didn't want that to happen to him. So I called, and he came. We had the whole table to ourselves. We instantly connected. We like all the same things, food, movies, video games. I had come to trust him so much. But not enough to tell him my secret. Imagine what he'll think of me. "Sicko", "Creep". I don't want to ruin my only friendship. I can't.

As I continue to walk, my father pops up in my thoughts. He doesn't deserve to be there. He's a drunk lying sack of shit.

When I was little, my dad was okay. Sure he drank a bit, but he never overdid it like he does these days. He was a happy man. Always smiling, laughing, telling jokes. Then, he met Alex. Alex and my dad soon became best friends, after meeting each other at a celebration party. Alex was a okay guy. Nice, liked to fish. But then, he introduced my dad to overdrinking. They drank whiskey and beer, mixed. They drank and drank, until my dad became an addict. He lost his job, which made my mom have to get two jobs. He always stayed at home, and drank Wheer, whiskey and beer. He got fat, a beer gut. He got lazy. But most of all, he got abusive. At night, I'd lay in bed, and not sleep because of the sound of my mom screaming. He'd hit her when she tried to defend me or herself. He took my mom's money all the time, which was why my clothes were so used and worn down. The only thing that could get me away from him, was school. I loved school. I'd get in as many after school activities as possible. John also helped me cope with my abusive father. He'd invite to his house, try to take my mind off of it. Some days it worked, some, not so well. Now I can add the fact that my dad does drugs to the "My Dad is an Asshole" chart.

I'm sitting in a chair reading some strange book I picked up. "Your Abusive Father and You" by Ron Herrelson. Well, my subconscious is a dick. Rubbing in my personal problems.

I walk up to the librarian and ask for a computer card. She gives me a Guest card, good for one hour. Good enough. I use most of my time researching on "Possible Matter Reduction" or something like that. Otherwise known as Shrinking. From what I read, in our modern times, we've come nowhere NEAR being able to shrinking things, let alone Humans. This is proof that Marie HAS to be bluffing.

After researching, I played a couple games on the internet. Then, I went to YouTube and typed in "Shrinking". The things I saw. People have insanely worse fantasies than the ones I have.

I look at the clock in the computer and see 5:21 PM. Five more minutes until my time is up. I go to the history and quickly erase everything up to a week ago. Then, I logged off and pushed in my chair and walked to the exit. I glance back and see someone with a hood already at my computer, quickly typing something. All the computers were open. Why'd he choose mine? Oh well.

I walk right across the street to Arv's Arcade. Where John works. Pushing the doors, I walk in and sure enough, I see John sweeping Cheetos off the floor.

"Johnny Boy!" I say out loud.

"Toddy Turd!" He calls back.

Our nicknames for each other.

"What're ya doing here Todd? Family Problems again?" He says with honest concern, his voice turning sad at the last part.

"Kind of. I just need a place to stay for a while. Until 9 pm." I answer.

"Why? Got a date?" He scoffs.

"Actually, I do." I technically do have a date with her.

"Sure. With who?" He asks sarcastically, as he sweeps.

"Marie." I say, trying to show off.

He almost drops his broom in surprise.

"NO WAY! How?!" He shouts.

"Long story, but the bottom line is... she asked ME out." I say in accomplishment.

"Nice one!" He says as he high fives me.

"I think you deserve some free games! Quarters on me!" He says.

He uses his keys to open a Pac-Man machine and pulls out the quarter box. He grabs a cup and pours the quarters in. The cup is halfway full when the quarter box is empty.

"Thanks man." I say.

"You deserve it. Nice score!" He says.

Then he goes back to work.


I spend the remaining time trying to beat my high score of 738560 in Galaga. I did.

I asked John for the time and he says 8:50 PM.

"Shit!" I say as I run out the door.

He yells good luck as I sprint to Marie's house. I pass several streets, and I finally arrive. Panting and leaning on the wall. I ball up my fist and attempt to knock, but the door is immediately opened and I find myself injected with something and on the floor. My vision blurs to a black blob. And I fall asleep.