- Text Size +
The whole day, I waited in anticipation, curiosity, and fear. The classes didn't pass by quickly like they would have on a regular day. The teachers droned on and on while I sat at my desk thinking of the ways this could go down.

She could be sick and twisted, and humiliate me for the secret she now knows. She could be totally insane and think that she could shrink me. Or, this one was the very last I though of, she could actually shrink me and let me live out my fantasy. I mean, her mother is a powerful woman, I've heard. Corporate CEO of some big company. Maybe it could happen? But for now, I just have to get done with the rest of the day.



After another grueling 3 hours of school, we're released to our lives. Outside of school, at least. For me, I don't really have a life outside of school. I'm kind of an introvert, no one likes a teen with dark fantasies. Other than Marie. She has some of her own, I guess. Maybe that's why she wants mine to come true! She's gonna pull an "eye for an eye" crap I bet. Maybe this isn't a good idea. I wish I never lost my journal. Now I have to show up or else she might snitch. I can't risk anyone else knowing about this. I can't. But when I go, I need to keep my guard up.

The bus stops at my stop and I jump off. I'm the only one who gets off at this stop. My house is a few blocks away, on Yun Street. Its a funny name.

The wind picks up, pushing me backwards. I force my way forward, but the wind gets stronger, blasting dust into my eyes making me stagger backwards. My eyes itch and I start crying. For some reason, I feel like this is an omen warning me not to go home. I immediately brush the thought away as I slide my hood on my head. I continue on my way, the wind still trying to turn me back.

My subconscious regrets every single step I make. I don't know whether or not I should agree with it. I can't stop thinking about it. It's invading my mind and my private thoughts. I need something else to think about. Desperately, I look around for something interesting to take my mind of this. I see a dog chasing a cat. Meh.

A man on a roof, hammering a nail into something. Not that interesting.

A man talking to a lady, while the lady is holding something at him. It looks like... a gun? I freeze in my tracks and stare at them. He's on his knees pleading, looking up at her with a pleading look. She smiles and says something before she pulls the trigger. A bright flash fills my vision, and before I could react, followed by a honk and screeching.

I feel a gust of air and I blink a few times. My sight is filled with a big black truck, with the driver coming out. I look to the right of him, and the lady with the gun pointed at the man isn't there. They never were. I must have imagined it. Anxiety probably.

"What in the hell is the matter with you kid? You almost got yourself run over!" A big burly man climbs down from the truck.

He's wearing a big red and gray striped button up shirt, and some blue jeans, accompanied with some brown boots. He has and long black beard and he looks like a person who'd live on a farm. He spoke with a masculine voice.

"I... I..." I trailed off, not really accepting that something that looked so realistic, was fake.

"Are you okay? Are you hurt?" He asks me, a hint of concern in his voice.

"I... I'm fine." I whisper.

"Kid, do you need something? You look pale like you saw a ghost!" He says with a chuckle.

"I did see a ghost. Or something like it." I think.

"I'm fine. I just need to get home."

"Well, I'll give ya a ride if you prefer. You don't look too good." He replies.

I should just go with him. It'd be easier. I nod and he leads me into the truck. He opens his door and climbs in. I open my door and realize how tall this truck is. Putting my left leg into the top of bottom of the truck, I extend my arm as far as I can to the handle on the roof. I barely reach it. My knee is almost up to my stomach. I lift with all the upper arm strength I can muster. The man with the beard chuckles softly to himself watching my attempts to get up. I finally reach it and I take a seat.

"Where d'ya live son?" He asks.

"Yun Street. Just take a left and keep going." I answer.

"Got it." He says.

"I know it ain't any of my business, but what's wrong? You almost got ran over and didn't even flinch! Sorry about that, by the way." He said with a curious look in his eyes.

"I don't know. I just... hallucinated something weird. I don't quite understand what it was though. There's something that's been eating away at me. And I've only figured about it today." I say.

I don't know why I'm revealing so much to him. But I feel like I need to talk to someone about it. Even someone random.

"Well, my advice is you should take it on headfirst. If there was something on my mind that almost got me killed, I'd wanna deal with it immediately!" He laughs, switching his eyes from me to the road.

"That makes sense."

We stay quiet the rest of the road, until I tell him to take a right. We pass the houses I've grown familiar to over the years of living on Yun.

"Stop at the Yellow house." I say.

He does so. The truck comes to a halt and I grab my backpack while I open my door.

"Thanks." I say.

"No problem, and kid? Watch yourself, okay?"

I nod and hop out. I close the door and he drives away. What a strange man. I walk up the gravel of our driveway and onto the cement sidewalk. As I walk I look to my right, through the kitchen window above the sink. I see my parents arguing. My dad is waving his arms around and mom is pointing at him with one hand as she has the other on her hip. This doesn't look so good.

I continue walking and I as near the door I can hear them.

"We can't afford it anymore! The price has gone to high! I was okay with it at first, but 300 dollars a month for a pound of cocaine?! That's it Harry! No more!" My mom shouts.

My dad buys... drugs? I never would've... how? And my mom is okay with it!?

"Martha, I didn't ask you for money. I demand money. And I will get it." I hear my dad threatens, his voice rising with anger.

"The hell you will Harry!" My mom screams.

I hear a slapping noise and sobbing right after. I think it is time for me to interfere.

I open the door and yell out "I'm home!"

I hear my dad whisper "Shut up and get in the bathroom!" I've seen my dad's abusive side before.

My mom hurries across the hall into the bathroom, looking away from me. She slams the door and tries to shush her sobs, but they're still audible. I take a right into the kitchen and get sight of my dad sitting at the table rubbing his temples.

"Hey dad, what's wrong?" I say as if I didn't hear what happened.

"Nothing. How was school?" He asks, sighing in between.

"Good. Listen, dad. Can I spend the night at a friend's house?" I ask.

I need to get to Marie's house, and I might not make it back before morning.

"No." He immediately says.

"What? Why?!"

"Do you have anything valuable? Give me it. Go to your room and get them for me." He says still looking down at the table.

"No." I reply, giving him a taste of his own medicine. I shouldn't have been so bold.

"I'm not going to repeat myself. You're not going anywhere. Do as you're told." He says raising his voice.

"Fuck you, you drugee!" I shout.

I hear a screech as he leaps out of his chair, scraping it on the tile floor, and runs for me. I was already a step ahead of him. I was at my room. I lock my door and slam it. I knew he was abusive. He abused me too. But knowing he was fueled by drugs made me angry. Quickly, I move my dresser in front of the door and open my window. I jump out and run away, I can still hear him shouting and pounding on the door. This escalated quickly. I don't know how I'm going to deal with this when I get back. I made a dumb mistake.

I brush the thought off my mind and wonder where I can stay until nine. It's 4:01 pm and I can't stay home, obviously. Where can I go? I can go to John's house. Naw, I asked if I can go to friend's house, when he finds out I'm not in there he'll come to John's. I don't want to go to Marie's early. That'll make her think I'm too desperate. I guess I'll go to the Arcade. I check my pockets for money and find $5. It's enough for a few games.

With my dad pounding on the door and yelling, I head onto the road, to the library. Walking is always good.