- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

This was a commission for the lovely and wonderful Mariko Tohno!

 Lini slammed the door behind her with a huff, stomping through the house. Her juvenile footfalls made muted thuds against the carpeted floor, and the weak noises only annoyed her more. She paced back and forth in the living room, balling her fists in rage.

“Lini?” a soft voice came through the house as Sync jogged out of her room, coming to meet her younger kin. They were cousins, but to look at them they could have been twins, albeit separated by a decade. Both had brilliant red hair that was cut at their shoulders, and eye colors to match. While Sync was taller than Lini by over a foot, both girls knew that was just aesthetics. “Lini, is that you?”

“I can't believe them!” Lini shouted, turning to face the hallway just as Sync arrived. “They think they can pick on me just because they're sixth graders? Don't they know what I can do to them!?” Her face was flushed with rage, and Sync quickly moved across the room, taking Lini in an embrace.

“Shh shh shh, don't talk like that,” Sync chided, hugging her cousin close to her generous chest. “You can't use your powers on everybody who upsets you.”

“But you don't know what they said to me!” Lini yelled into Sync's torso.

“What did they say?”

Lini pulled away from the embrace, looking Sync directly in the eyes. The older girl could see a thin sheen of tears forming on Lini's eyes. “They said that... that... they said I look stupid!”

It wasn't the hardest thing Sync had ever done to suppress her smile, but it was up there. “Oh, honey, they said you look stupid? That's just silly. Do you think you look stupid?”

“No!” Lini said with passion.

“Do you think I think you look stupid?”

“N-no!” This time there was surprise in her voice, as though the question had caught her off-guard.

“Then what does it matter what they say? Let them talk, it's just words. Nothing anyone needs to lose their life over.” She tousled Lini's hair, finally letting her smile emerge. “Don't you think?”

The hot-headed girl wasn't convinced. “I'm gonna crush them, Sync. I'll show them who looks stupid when they're dumb little stains in the asphalt!” Sync was a little impressed with how quickly Lini could work herself back into a frenzy. “Are you coming or not?”

Sighing, the older girl shrugged. “No, go ahead if you're so enamored with the idea. Just, please try to keep innocents out of it?”

Lini was already halfway out the door when she responded. “Okay love you bye!” she shouted over her shoulder, the door slamming behind her. Sync just stared at the closed door, chewing her bottom lip in thought.

 

 

The large brick building loomed over Lini, one of many in the area. It was the apartment building that housed Cynthia West, the Queen Bitch of the Sixth Grade. She and all her friends would gather at Cynthia's home every day, and Lini could only imagine what they were doing in there. Probably gossiping about her, sitting in a circle with pictures of Lini scattered across the floor, mercilessly mocking her appearance which wasn't even that bad!

Closing her eyes, Lini felt the power surge through her, channeling through every nerve of her body. She thought of what she was going to do to all those little bitches, to everyone who made her feel dumb and weak and small. She stepped back into the street as she grew, giving herself room enough to expand without destroying the building just yet.

The process didn't take long, something that always pleased Lini. She didn't want to wait for justice to be served, she wanted to strike the wicked down now. Soon she towered above the street, just as tall as her target building. She considered stopping here, where people could be held in her fist with their ends sticking out, but then thought better of it. She needed more. She kept growing, her blue school uniform expanding with her, until the building didn't even come halfway up her shin. She grinned down at the pathetic little structure. This was more like it.

“Oh Cyn~thia~,” Lini teased, tapping the side of the building with her big toe. She tried to be gentle but couldn't help cracking the structure, nearly caving in the wall to a random person's apartment. She knew Sync would disapprove, but honestly she couldn't care less. If those people had wanted to live in safety, maybe they should have dealt with Cynthia first. “Come here, Cynth. Come out into the street, let's play.”

Inside the building was madness. People fled from their homes, filling the cramped hallways with dozens of panicked, screaming bodies. Those unfortunate enough to fall to the ground were callously trampled, the survival instinct having taken over the mob. Lini's voice echoed through the building every time she spoke, the juvenile femininity of her tone juxtaposed against the human horror within.

For her part, Cyntha did not flee to the hallways. She lived near the top floor, and could already tell it would be useless. The noises outside were cacophonous, she'd be lucky if she could squeeze out of her door. The other girls in her room were screaming, huddled together against the far wall, but Cynthia approached the window. Even leaning forward, she couldn't take in the whole of Lini, the sadistic titaness who now loomed over her apartment building.

Slowly the teeming masses emerged into the street, pouring out of the building like water from a spilled glass. Lini peered down, trying to tell if Cynthia was in the crowd. She saw a few blonde girls and quickly raised her foot. “Hope this is you,” she muttered before lowering her foot onto the group. Dozens of bodies burst instantly, coating her bare sole with a sticky wetness that was warm for a brief second before rapidly cooling in the open air.

“Ewww,” Lini giggled as she raised her foot, thick strands of blood following the sole's ascent before snapping off. She inspected the red smear on her flesh as if searching for proof of Cynthia's presence. “Were you in there, Cynth?” Looking to the ground, she saw a few blood-covered bugs crawling away, many in varying degrees of mutilation. With her big toe she individually crushed every single one, giving a little twist before moving on to the next. When she'd finished off the bunch, she turned back to the building.

“Well, I guess I should be thorough, huh? I mean, you could still be hiding in there! That would be like you, too, wouldn't it? You'd let a whole group of people die just so you could live.” Lini slowly sat down as she spoke, crushing a building behind her with no more awareness or concern than if she had sat down on a soft patch of grass. The destruction of the building flew into the streets, filling them with dust, but Lini was completely oblivious.

“Now, if I was a rude, annoying jerk who liked making people feel bad, where would I live?” Her eyes danced across the building. “Would it be... here?” She tapped the building with her foot, blowing out all the windows on the side she slammed into. “Or mayyyybe I'd live here!” She lashed out with her other sole, harder this time. A section of the wall caved in, destroying a few apartments in the process and burying three people in the rubble. Lini leaned down, pressing her face right against the side of the building.

“She's gonna kill us! We're gonna die!” The girls in Cynthia's room shrieked as Lini's gargantuan eye passed right over them, missing them in their insignificance. Cynthia herself peered right back into the giant pupil as it moved past the window, and the full enormity of the presence outside that wanted her dead finally sunk in. She fell to the floor, unable to stand, and her friends dragged her back to their huddle, holding her as if she could shield them from their fate.

“Yeah,” Cynthia said softly. “She is going to kill us.”

“Well, if you're gonna hide like the little rat that you are, I guess I just have to tear down the whole building, don't I?” Lini tried to sound upset, but her enthusiasm at getting to cause such destruction overpowered the thin facade. She scooted to the side and brought one leg over the building, surrounding it with her feet. “You know, my cousin is always saying that I shouldn't take out my aggression on others, and that I should just try to make nice. What do you think, Cynthia? Do you think we can make nice?” She paused, as if waiting for an answer, then nodded to herself. “Great! C'mere, then, let me give you one great big hug!”

The building shook on its foundations as her feet closed in on either side, rocking the sturdy brick-and-mortar structure like it was made of cardboard. The width of one of her feet was more than half of the height of the building, and many apartments went dark as her feet covered the windows, blocking out the sun. “Oh Cynthia, I'm so glad we're making nice,” Lini laughed. “Now remember, the best hugs are the ones where you squeeze tight!”

“I'm sorry... I'm so sorry...” the tiny blonde girl whispered as the building shook, groaning against the crushing force of Lini's feet. All the girls could hear the walls beneath them giving out, slowly creating a twisted mess of brick, metal and flesh. Soon Lini's feet were touching, supporting the top few floors of the apartment building. Every minor twitch of her skin sent tremors through the building, terrifying the surviving few.

“Grand finalé!” Lini exclaimed, separating her feet. The top of the building suddenly fell away, tumbling down the side of her bare sole before landing amidst the ruin. Cynthia and her friends were flung around the room, one girl flying out of the window only to have the roof of the building land directly on top of her. Another girl was crushed by Cynthia's bed, and two more happened into a free fall to the bottom of the debris, killed on impact. As Cynthia choked on the dust, gathering her bearings, she realized that she was the only one who had survived.

“Oh, what's this?” Lini asked, leaning down to inspect the wriggling creature in the ruins. The ceiling of Cynthia's room had caved in, pinning her legs underneath it. The tiny sixth-grader tried desperately to free herself as the giantess inspected her. “A little survivor! I'm sorry tiny one, but you're gonna have to go squish. You can blame that bitch Cynthia.”

“No! Please, don't!” the blonde girl cried up. She thought about trying to reveal her identity, but realized that would just make things worse. Lini straightened her back and began bringing her feet together one final time. The rubble and debris piled up against her soles, rolling and crushing everything in their way like bulldozers. “Please! I'm sorry, Lini! I'm s-” Her final cry was cut off as Lini scooped the building on top of the tiny girl, crushing her frail body beneath tons of structure.

Satisfied with her work, Lini grinned. “There. Definitely got her somewhere in there.” She stood up, dusting off her hands on her skirt, and looked around the city. “Now that I'm here, though...” Her eyes fell on her school, and narrowed immediately. “You,” she hissed.

The streets between Lini and the school were a complete gridlock. Even the sidewalks were jammed with cars trying to get an edge over their peers, make it a few further feet away, as if a dozen feet meant anything to the gigantic Lini. Her footfalls were random and impersonal, killing a small handful of people with every step and crushing cars and buildings alike in her wake. Finally she reached her elementary school. She stood over it, her hands on her hips, and regarded the diminutive structure.

The school was mostly empty; many teachers still remained, finishing papers for the day, and a few afterschool clubs were in session. It certainly wasn't bustling with activity like it was during prime hours, nor was it even as populated as the apartment building she had just destroyed. Still, it stood as a testament to a place where insulting her was allowed to stand, and that just wouldn't do. Taking a seat in front of the building, she glowered menacingly. “I'm gonna smush every last one of you,” she hissed, raising her foot high above the school. The shadow of her foot slid across the wide, flat roof of the building, but before she had a chance to appreciate how big it was compared to the tiny specks below, another shadow enveloped hers, casting the entire school building into darkness.

“Are you sure you don't want some help with that?” Sync smirked, looking down at her little cousin. She dwarfed Lini, so much so that the younger girl was now barely as long as one of Sync's feet.

“You showed up!” Lini exclaimed, excited.

“Yeah, I got to thinking about what you said, and you're right, people shouldn't be making fun of you. If this is what it takes to make sure that doesn't happen, so be it.” She paused for a moment, then grinned sheepishly. “Plus, I haven't let loose like this in a while.” Looking down, Sync could barely make out the school in front of Lini, a tiny little square of growth on the ground. “Is that where the bullies are?”

“No, I already took care of them. This is my school, where they let such injustice occur.”

“You want me to wipe them out?”

“If you would be so kind.”

Sync smiled and stood to her full height while Lini got out of her way. “Well now, it looks like you really backed the wrong horses, didn't you?” Sync playfully teased her big toe around the school, carving swaths out of the land surrounding the school.

Hundreds were killed by her playful movements, snuffed out in a heartbeat by her big toe. Sync was bigger than the people below could comprehend. Just her foot dwarfed the giant Lini who had so easily terrorized them moments ago. Her voice was incomprehensible, just a low rumble of thunder that heralded more devastation than an air strike. Entire city blocks were brought low beneath her, completely eradicated beneath her skin, becoming nothing more than a layer of dust at the bottom of a trench carved out by a twenty-year-old girl's big toe.

“Schoooool's out forever!” Sync laughed, bringing her toe down on the building. It crumbled immediately, sinking into the ground with no resistance. Lini laughed and clapped, jumping up and down as she watched her gargantuan cousin eradicate the source of so much frustration in her life. She ended a few more lives with her jumps, but it was nothing she concerned herself over.

“So, short stuff, wanna come with me and wreak some real damage?”

“I'd love to!”

 

 

A few hours later, the two girls layed back in the smoldering layer of devastation that had once been home to several large cities. Lini had grown to match Sync's height and they were holding hands, watching the colors dance across the sky as it faded to sunset.

“Well, at least I don't have to worry about going to school tomorrow,” Lini said with a smirk.

“Yeah, I kinda put them on permanent break, didn't I?”

“Oh, god,” Lini giggled into her hand, squinting her eyes. “That wasn't good, don't be proud of that.”

“I don't know, Lini, my puns crush when I tell them to a crowd.”

“Stop it!” Lini slapped playfully at her cousin's shoulder, rolling over and staring out over the land. She thought she may have spotted a bit of movement and idly reached out, smushing the area with her index finger. “We really did a number on this place, huh?”

Sync rolled over to join Lini, watching her twist her finger back and forth before blowing the debris off. “Yeah, we may have gone a little overboard.”

“Hey, we can't prove those bullies didn't try to hide in a neighboring city. You say overboard, I say thorough.”

This time it was Sync's turn to laugh. She tousled Lini's hair again before climbing to her feet. “Ready to go home?”

“Absolutely,” Lini said as Sync helped her to her feet. She wrapped her arms around Sync, pulling her close in an embrace. “Thanks so much for being there for me.”

“Of course, Lini.” There was earnesty in Sync's voice.

“Okay. Let's get going. Later, guys,” she added as an afterthought, giving a flip of her hand to the rubble at their feet as they departed.