- Text Size +

CHAPTER 10: Let's Get Started

 
4 Days Until Naomi is Back

 

     *Looking through a telescope. Graphs, calculations. Something big is going to happen. I have to go home. It's coming. Wait till they hear the news.*


     With a deafening pop, Miranda opens the lid of the of the plastic container I had to sleep in last night. It's an opaque box, the sealed lid several feet above my head when standing. “WAKEY WAKEY,” she says, looking down an me in her pajamas. From between her giant fingernails she drops some food, almost hitting me. “YOU NEED YOUR ENERGY TODAY,” she says. She forms saliva on her lips and lets it drip into the box beside me. “YOU CAN DRINK THAT. BE READY IN FIFTEEN,” she says as she walks away chuckling.

       I start to choke down a bit of the uncooked food, and try to ignore the popping bubbles of spit.

     I know I’m going to die soon. I know that after, I’ll wake up hungry, like I do every time. But I eat anyway. I guess I might as well.

       When Miranda comes back, I stand and take a deep breath. I’ve been through this before. It is a bit different, knowing I’m going to die. Maybe it’s better in a way. My future is dim, but... thats nothing new.

     “READY FOR YOUR CLOSE UP?” She says, smiling. She picks me up easily. “HOW MANY TIMES HAVE YOU DONE THIS BEFORE?”

     I honestly can’t remember. You would think it’s something I would keep track of, but... I just shake my head. She laughs softly.

     “TOO MANY TIMES?” She shakes her head as she walks. “POOR LITTLE ALPHA. WELL, IF YOU’RE NOT USED TO IT BY NOW... YOU WILL BE SOON. BUT DON’T WORRY, IT WON’T BE ALL BAD... I’LL TAKE CARE OF YOU. YOU JUST NEED TO KEEP DYING FOR ME, THAT’S ALL.”

     I glance up at her bleakly. She's not even looking at me as she continues.      “IF YOU CAN’T COOPERATE, I’LL JUST HAVE TO USE YOUR LITTLE FRIENDS INSTEAD. RIGHT?”

     I shudder. "I'll cooperate." She squeezes, her eyes not even twitching, and I add "Mistress!" "GOOD BOY," she says. "PLAY NICE AND YOU'LL GET A REWARD." I remember Naomi using that term. A reward. I can't imagine what kind of reward Miranda would offer.

      "WAIT HERE WHILE I GET CHANGED," she says, dropping me on the computer desk. I can't help but contemplate escape. It's not like I didn't think about it all last night. I could jump off the table on the chair, drop down to the floor from there. Rush into the vents. But no. There was no question. I had just gotten Naomi back, gotten my friends back. I thought they had both died while I had been helpless to stop it. But now I have their lives in my hands. Not that I fully trust Miranda to do as she says she will. But it's all I have. I can't risk anything else. I'll die for them. I've done it for them before. It seems like I've been made to die.

      "YOU'RE MEANT TO BE FREE," Keyla's words ring in my head suddenly. Is this why? Is my life meant to be sacrificed for others? For the rest of eternity?      Then I remember the dream I had yesterday after I was crushed. The dream of stars. For some reason I shudder. That had been a new one, one I didn't understand at all. The only emotions I got out of it were feelings of loss and confusion. The familiarity this time was dreadful. If that dream has anything to do with my existence I don't want to know about it.

      "GOOD JOB. YOU DIDN'T RUN." Miranda says, returning. She's looking very casual in a loose, sleeveless top and just her underwear, her gap barely visible under the hem. "HERE, PUT THESE ON."

     From her finger and thumb drop a bundle of clothes. Hesitantly I put on a bright green t-shirt and blue jeans. These don’t fit very well either.

     “NOW THIS.” She holds out a visor to me, pinched between her fingernails. I take it. There's no blood on it, but I'm still apprehensive as I put it on. Miranda flops down into her chair and moves the mouse. The monitor flickers to life. She opens the video editing program and slips on her own visor. She taps near the little green light and a window opens on the screen, displaying the feed from her visor. It's like looking through her eyes, and it creates a disappearing endless loop of screens. "DO YOURS," she says.

       I run my finger along the length of the visor near my right temple and feel a slight bump, which I press. Another window pops up, and it shows my view on-screen, creating a similar looping effect.

       “GOOD. LET’S GET STARTED." She reaches into her purse and I jump as a pair of high heels slam down on the table in front of me. She probably just placed them there normally, but to me the crash is jarringly intense. I look up at the towering heels: platform, stilettoes, red and brown snakeskin. The insides are silvery-tan padded. There’s a familiar KC logo printed into the insole. The smell of new shoe leather washes over me.

       “DO YOU LIKE THEM?” Miranda says. “NAOMI SAID YOU WERE A FOOT GUY. THAT’S GOOD. WE’RE GOING TO USE THAT.”

      I’m not sure what to think of that but for some reason I don’t think it bodes well.

       “WELL DON’T LOOK SO GLUM, I JUST GOT A PEDICURE. IT’S PART OF THE BUSINESS. NOT ALL BAD FOR YOU IS IT? NOW ARE YOU READY?”

     I look at her. How can I be? I guess so. I nod.

     “THEN GET IN."