- Text Size +
The Loading Dock

By

Asukafan2001







April 4, 2004. That was the day I died. It started out as bright beautiful day. I woke up and kissed my lovely wife good morning. I could smell lilacs in her long blonde hair, I ran my fingers through her silky smooth hair while I slid my opposite hand down her cheek while pressing my lips against hers.



As I pushed away and rolled out of bed, I did not even look back at her. If I had known, if I would have just known I would have maybe looked at her a little longer, hugged her goodbye, said I was sorry for what was about to happen and that I was so glad it wasn’t her.



I threw on some clothes and headed down the hallway. I could hear some Linkin Park playing from daughter’s room. I knocked on the door and pushed it open. Her room was a mess like it always was. I looked at her pants hanging off her ass and her shirt barely covering her breasts and I scolded her and told her to change as I can hear it plain as day now. I remember my dad saying it to my sister and I promised that I would never say that to any daughter of mine. But it’s funny how time changes you. I told her no daughter of mine is going to go out looking a slut. You constantly drain my wallet with your 60 dollar shirts and 100 dollar pants so you better not tell me that you don’t have anything fits.



She told me it was all the rage and everyone was wearing there clothes like this but I told her well I expect more out of my daughter then just settling for being like everyone else and then I slammed the door behind me and went down the stairs.



Shortly later, she scurried downstairs in a sweatshirt and some pre faded jeans and slammed the door behind her. I wish that I had hugged her once before I left. It was just over a stupid outfit.



I had my coffee and read the paper then headed out myself. I prided myself on always being punctual. The trip to the office was uneventful, just the way I liked it. As I walked into my offices, I spotted Marial my intern. She was wearing some jeans and some what she called buffalo shoes. I merely shook my head and told her that I expect some appropriate shoes for tomorrow. They were not even that bad and now they are going to be death of me. It is just all so clear now.



* * *



I could not believe that this is happening as I spun around looking up at the enormous walls around me. I knew I was on the loading dock but nothing seemed to look like the loading dock that I had grown to recognize on my tenure here at Linasoft,



I started walking towards the heavy metal doors that lead from the loading dock into main building. I was not sure how I was going to get in them because they looked simply colossal. They reminded me of a modern day colossus. The doors were tightly sealed, as was the entire building. We had it vacuumed sealed so that when the doors did open all the garbage and other muck would be sucked outside, however now it seemed like a horrible idea. That meant when the door opened there would be an incredible gust of wind shooting out the building making it near if not impossible to get back in.



I shivered slightly as I continued to head towards the door. It was in the sixties today but without clothes and at this diminutive size, my body was unable to keep an optimum body temperature. I knew I had to get inside somehow or I would not be alive for long. I did not know much about how the body works, as I was never a person who was extremely book smart but I knew if you got below a certain body temperature that you die.



The floor began to rumble, as I was jarred left and right. I struggled to maintain my balance as the metal doors swung open. My was body assaulted by the strong winds and could barely remain upright. A group of eight denim pillars pushed there way into my world. I could not believe that these are what humans looked like. I then caught myself. I had just said I could not believe that these are what humans look like. I was talking as if I was not human and they were human, however as I looked at them I could not fault my thinking. As I stared at them in comparison to me, I felt like an ant looking up at them. There rubber soles towered above me.



I gulped as I looked up at them. I could not even see there faces from my vantage point. I felt like I was at the base of Mount Everest and there heads were the peaks. I sighed heavily and looked back down at my level. Just to the right of me was some black platform shoes, while to the left of me were a pair of buffalo shoes. The laces on the buffalo shoes were much longer but ridden in grime and other filth while the platform shoelaces were shorter but spotlessly clean along with the shoes. I kept looking back and forth between the two and decided to head towards the dirtier looking buffalo shoes. Although I would have preferred the platform, shoes the buffalo shoes will be easier to climb onto.



A short time passed as I now neared the shoes. They looked big before but now they were simply huge. The closer I got the more I realized that there is now no way they would recognize me.



My head instinctively looked up. I started to run as a ball of water came speeding down. I felt the warm water explode against my back. My face was forced down against the concrete floor causing me to skid a few feet back. The warm water spewed over me. As it slid down my face and into my mouth, I spit it out immediately. I flailed my limbs in the pool of what seems to be saliva. I kick trying to reach the cement floor in hopes of wading to the edge of this disgusting lake. My limbs burn in pain from nearly being crushed by this thick water. My bones cry out in vein as I push my way to the edge.



Thundering voices whirl around me like a tornado. Voices so loud that they are not even intelligent to me, I stare at the monolithic creations before me as burning ash rains down upon me like water from the sky. I finally make out a single word in the swirling mass of voices. The name Marial rings in my head plain as day. The buffalo shoes, the dark blue denim jeans, Marial my intern, it must be her.



I drag myself out of the river of saliva; burning ashes are all around me on the ground. I pull myself up to my feet. I stagger forward as my hands clamp onto the rubber sole of Marial’s shoe. I look up at the rubber sole, which extends up into the air like a several story building. I beat my hands against the rubber trying to find a handhold but my hands merely slide down the smooth black rubber walls. I start to run around the shoe towards the laces when she moves her foot slightly to the right knocking me to the ground. I look back at her shoe in shock and awe as it slams back down onto the concrete. A simple jostle of her foot and I am winded. I look back at her foot pledging to keep my distance until I reach the laces however, I began to notice that every so often she would shift her weight and fidget with the opposite foot of which all the weight was on. I look over at her opposite foot seeing it completely still and then back at the nearest foot to me.



I cringe from the loud thunderclaps of her shoe smacking against the ground. The wind knocks me down to a knee as I look forward at her. Unable to believe the simple aimless fidgeting of ones feet could be so deadly. A simple movement to her which is hardly noticeable to one of them, is so monumental to me.



As Marial shifts her weight back to her opposite foot which meant that it was time for me to move. I ran towards her shoelace, my lungs burning, my legs in agony, I stretched out my arms and clamped my hands around her thick shoelaces. They seemed more like the rope you find on the anchor of an ocean liner then shoelaces. I just began to shimmy up the shoelace when I heard something smack into the ground behind me. It was gigantic. It was a simple cigarette butt, only it was mountainous. I stared at it stunned until Marial’s foot began to rise up into the air. As she raised her foot up her long, shoelaces lifted off the ground and swung from side to side. I gulped as I swung beneath her shoe. I looked up at the treading; gum, rocks, and other crud were mashed into the treading of the shoe. I then felt a swift decent I could barely notice it. I felt completely free for a single moment in time. It was almost like the movies where that one moment lasted forever. I had not ever felt so free, or thought so clearly in that one moment of my life.



My back slammed against the pavement, I felt the cruddy shoelace fall down on top of me. The bones in my back crush almost instantly. I had never felt pain like this before. My body creaked like an old door as I felt an immense pressure bare down on me. I could no longer move my legs but they hurt so badly. My ribs were pushing against my skin until they shot through my chest shattered like dust. My skull cracking like peanut shell.



I could my remains, my blood, my organs seeping out of me soaking into the Marial’s cruddy shoe laces, the mixing in with the dirt on her shoe and pavement. I knew my consciousness would only last for another second as she grated her foot left and right crushing the cigarette butt. As soon as she lifted her foot I would be no more.



“Hopefully Mr. Maxwell didn’t notice my smoke break. He will really drop the other foot on me Shell if he catches me out here.”



I never even got to hear the response as Marial turned towards the heavy metal door pulling it open with ease scattering what was left me of me across the parking lot as the heavy gusts of wind from the open door took away my remains.



* * *



I never heard the tears my daughter shed, I never felt the pain my wife must have felt. As I looked down upon them for the first time years later, my wife was about to die of cancer and my daughter did not yet know. She was leaning against the wall of the waiting room and her friend looked over at her and asked if she was going to be all right.

There was a long pause and she said yes my dad always told me that he expected more out of me then simply settling for being like everyone else. So no matter what I will be strong, just like he was.



The End.