- Text Size +

Chapter 7: Suspicion, Shields, and Swords.

October 18, 2023 2:45PM

Isabella looked down at the ground and watched as the three blips on her HUD patch began to close on her. As they got closer, Isabella's worry and fear waned away. Losing contact with Aviel after she had boarded the Resistance train had been bad enough, but when both Flonne and Sanders stopped reporting... She thanked whoever that they were still safe, she wasn't sure she could take losing them after... No, she wouldn't think about it anymore. She had given him enough tears.

She looked down at the damaged sewage pipe just as Flonne flew out of it. Isabella smiled as the fairy flew up to her. Three figures were wrapped up in her arms: Sanders, Aviel, and the headless body of Doctor Manchent. Isabella's smile dimmed as she saw his body. She had meet the man only a few times, but those few times he had always been a very kind and gentle soul. He practically gave everything he owned away without a second thought and was always willing to help anyone. New Atlanta would not be as ideal as it was without him.

Isabella raised her hand and Flonne placed her passengers onto Isabella's hand. Both Aviel and Sanders looked crestfallen as Flonne placed Gregor's body down as well. Isabella sighed to herself before looking at her two tiny scouts. Her HUD patch automatically zoomed in to let her see their tiny faces better.

"I meant what I said before. I know you two did your best to try and save him. If anyone is to blame it is me for not arriving at the train soon enough," Isabella said to them in as kind a voice as she could. The two of them didn't look much better. Even Flonne looked sad as her antenna's drooped down along with her shoulders.

Sanders shook his head as he said, "Wouldn't have mattered if you did. Had a damn code-locked collar on him. No way to get that off without the code. Or an expert."

Isabella's mind suddenly stopped worrying about her soldiers as Sanders mentioned the code-locked collar. She let her motherly, caring side slide away as her soldier side took over.

"Did you say a code-locked collar?" she asked, wanting to make sure she had heard right. Without thinking it, her face had already gone back to its usual neutral look.

"Yea-," Sanders stopped as he looked up at Isabella's stern face, "I mean yes ma'am. He was wearing a code-locked collar. Keypad and everything."

Isabella looked away as her mind began to race. How did the Resistance get their hands on top-of-the-line hardware like code-locked collars? They had barely been in production a year and most were in the Society's armory. Those few that were not should have been under rather close guard by the New Atlanta police. Her soldier's instincts were telling her something wasn't right here.

"What condition was it in? Was it as jury-rigged as the rest of their equipment usually is?" she asked as she turned back to them. Sanders and Aviel looked between each other with confused looks.

"Uhh...actually, now that you mention it, no. It looked pretty new and well taken care of." Aviel said. She looked down in concentration before she looked back up at Isabella with a shocked face.

"Wait, you don't think they were GIVEN the code-locked collar by someone in the Society, do you?" Aviel asked.

"That would explain that guy with the damn laser cannon," Sanders added before rubbing a large knot on his head.

"One of them had a laser?" Isabella asked in surprise.

"Yeah. He had a huge laser cannon like they used to use on those old robots back before they got decommissioned. Thing was almost as big as him, but he swung it around like it was nothing," Aviel said looking a bit angry about something.

"But I beat him and tossed him away!" Flonne added. Flonne perking up a bit as she got to brag about her victory and her antennas raised along with her mood. Isabella smiled at her boasting, but was more focused on this new information.

Aviel could be right and someone inside the Society was supplying the Resistance. However, Isabella just couldn't shake that something was off with that theory. Why only one laser and from one of the old robots? To avoid detection? And yet supply them with a state of the art explosive collar? If only she had more to go on...

"Aviel, I need you to tell me exactly what happened when you rescued Manchent. Don't leave anything out," she instructed as she locked Aviel with a stern stare. Aviel nodded without missing a beat or making a remark. Even she knew not to test Isabella when she was in full soldier mode.

Aviel explained everything, his initial reaction of fear, his sudden change at the mention of them being Shields, the collar, the explosion. By the time she was finished, she, Sanders, and Flonne had gotten back a bit of their gloom. Isabella, however, was more concerned by Manchent's reaction to them and his last words.

"Are you sure that was all he said? Just Lindale and those numbers?" Isabella asked. She sorely hoped there was more. A few random numbers and a name of someplace was not a lot to go on.

"He did try to say something after, but..." Sanders paused as he looked down, "he didn't get it out in time..." Isabella softened her stern look as she saw her scouts looking more devastated than before. This mystery did require further investigation, but her scouts needed rest and time to forgive themselves. Continuing to grill them would only push them further into despair.

She smiled down at her tiny charges with all the warmth she could muster as she said, "I'm sorry, I forgot how hard this must be for you. We can discuss this further some other time. For now, we should return Gregor's body to New Atlanta for burial."

The others nodded, all looking a bit relieved to not have to discuss this any further. Isabella turned back to where her jeep was displayed on her HUD and began to long trek back. She glanced down at the tiny forms of Aviel and Sanders both sitting in her hand. She wished she could say or do something to cheer them up. Even just being able to hug them to show them she felt their pain would be a blessing. But if she tried, she would smother them and, probably, crush them, even with just her fingers. For not the first time, Isabella despised the power she wielded and the curse that came with it. So powerful she could crush entire squads of Resistance soldiers under her feet, yet she couldn't even hug those she cared for...

The ride back to Atlanta was a somber one. No one said anything as the jeep made its way to the base. Sanders made no complaints with being held by Flonne on the ride back. If nothing else, at least the two of them seemed to have accepted each other. Aviel, however, rode between Flonne's legs along with Manchent's body. She had said it was to make sure it was safe, but Isabella knew it was more about not having to be held by Flonne.

Isabella turned her thoughts back to the mystery of Gregor's death. So many unanswered questions and only Gregor's last words as clues. Last words that didn't make any sense too. Lindale...it sounded like a town, but was not one she knew of. Perhaps her other Ranger friend, Alice, would know. She had traveled a lot before the disaster with her Father. And, with her being part of the Frontier group of the Rangers, she made it her business to stay well informed about area's outside the normal patrol routes. As for the numbers...she really had no idea what they could mean. Perhaps a code or a GPS location?

The sky was turning the orange of sun set as Isabella pulled the jeep into the vehicle depot. She watched as a small crowd of women began to form outside the depot. Gregor had been a popular man even amongst the AS Society's higher ranks, supposedly even knowing both Matriarchs personally, and news of his death had spread like wildfire, doubly so with so many having been sent to search for him. This was not what she and her scouts needed right now. To be forced to march through a group of grieving women all reminding them of how they had failed was just too much. She had just started to try and think of a way out when a harsh voice cut through the general chatter outside.

"Alright all of you beat it. You heard me, GET GOING! Anyone still around here that ain't got a good excuse is volunteering for a rumble with me," the voice barked out. The group dispersed like a flock of frightened birds as the source of the voice came toward the jeep. Isabella smiled as she saw the welcome face of Gabriella Pearson walking toward her jeep. Her blue hair and "badass" tattoo across her face making it easy to tell her apart from the now scattering group. She was wearing her usual open urban camo jacket over her tanktop along with her rather torn and dirty looking fatigue pants. On her shoulder was the shield icon of the Shields branch of the Society.

Isabella climbed out of the jeep and smiled to her old friend. She extended her hand to shake, but Gabriella smacked it aside before wrapping her large, muscular arms around Isabella. Isabella groaned at Gabriella's inability to understand personal space and her underestimation of her own strength. Gabriella's large, 6'2 frame easily lifted Isabella's 5'5 self off the ground.

Gabriella had been in the same training regiment as Cathrine back in the US Marines. The two of them had become fast friends in the corps and had stayed friends throughout the disaster and beyond. They even volunteered for the Society on the same day. However, Gabriella had chosen to become a Shield Security officer while Isabella... she had gone down a different path.

"I heard what happened, Cap. Wanted to see if you were OK, and scare off the gawkers," Gabriella said using her nickname for Isabella. Isabella had never earned the rank of Captain, but that didn't stop Gabriella spreading the rumor that she had been. All to upset Isabella's giantess leader, no less... She had paid for that prank, though, but Isabella had never been able to get the nickname to unstick.

After a few agonizing seconds of Gabriella's bear hug, she put Isabella down and released her. Isabella coughed as she caught her breath and made sure her ribs were still intact.

"I'm fine, Gabby. Thanks for getting rid of them. My scouts have suffered enough without having to be paraded in front of people," Isabella answered with a smile. As if on cue, Flonne flew out carrying Aviel and Sanders in each hand. Gabby looked over at the fairy and her eyes flew open wide. She practically shoved Isabella aside as she stared with starry eyes at Flonne. Flonne backed up a little, unsure how to react.

"You got a fairy?! AWWW look at her cute wings and her little skirt and-" Gabby started in a cute voice before she stopped as her head seemed to catch up with her mouth. "-her two passengers." Aviel and Sanders stared in amazement at Gabriella's reaction.

Gabby coughed as she tried to move the conversation along, "H-Hey, pipsqueaks you two doing alright? Not letting this get you down too much are you?" Sanders didn't answer and just turned away with a look of shame.

"Be a lot easier if people would stop reminding us..." Aviel grumbled out through the radio as she stared back at the far more massive Gabby. Gabby's smile dimmed a bit. She backed up and rubbed the back of her neck in embarrassment.

"Sorry...I just...hell you know what I mean," she said unable to find the right words. The two scouts didn't seem to know and keep their gloom. Gabby looked about to try again which prompted Isabella to stop her before she said something stupid again.

"Gabby, can you take Dr. Manchent's body to medical? I want to let my scouts head back to rest ASAP," she asked pulling her friend away from trying to talk. Gabby looked about to go back to the two scouts, but Isabella managed to pull her away enough to get her to focus on her.

"Huh? Oh, yeah sure," she answered before getting a worried look, "Oh...and there is one thing I forgot. The Matriarchs wanted to see you. All of you, in the debrief room." Isabella cursed internally as she looked down at the ground. She had hoped to get Aviel and Sanders away from here before the debriefing, but now....

"How serious?" Isabella asked.

"Serious enough that they specifically said all four of Patrol 6. Not going to talk your way out of this or delay it. Can't really blame them with it being Gregor who was taken," Gabby answered, her smile having completely vanished.

"I suppose... Thanks for taking the bodies, an-" she was about to mention Gregor's last words, but reconsidered," ...never mind. I'll just see you later. Come on, Flonne. Let's get this over with."

"Okay..." Flonne answered as she zipped forward to fall in with Isabella. Gabby gave her a confused look, but just shrugged and headed for the jeep. Once she had walked a few steps, Isabella held out her hand and took her two scouts from Flonne. Isabella had wanted to ask Gabby what she thought of Gregor's message and the collar, but it might be best not to mention it to her at all, or anyone for that matter. This thing was giving her a bad feeling...

Isabella glanced back and saw Gabby getting into the jeep to get Gregor's body. She deactivated her radio before offering her shoulder to Flonne. Flonne accepted the invitation and sat down on her shoulder. Now they could all hear without Isabella risking anyone else hearing.

"Aviel, Sanders, Flonne, don't mention anything about Gregor's last words. Not to anyone, including the two Matriarchs," Isabella whispered just loud enough for them to hear. Both Aviel and Sanders turned toward her with stunned looks. Aviel jumped up with an angry look.

"WHAT?! We can't let the Resistance keep getting their hands on Society equipment! Those monsters will just use it to kill more innocent people, like... like Gregor and..." she stopped as she looked away.

"We don't want whoever gave the Resistance those weapons to learn we are on to them and, potentially, have a clue. And, we can't rule out that one of the Matriarchs may be the traitor, unlikely as it is", Isabella whispered trying to soothe Aviel. Aviel's anger slowly faded as she thought for a moment. Her face got back its neutral look as she nodded.

"Our best advantage is the fact that the traitor doesn't know we know they are here. Giving that up so soon would be pretty stupid. Alright, I'll keep it to myself," Aviel agreed before sitting back down.

"Me too! I won't let the baddie who hurt that man get away with it!" Flonne said with an actual serious face. Isabella looked at Sanders who nodded as well, but didn't say anything. He just stared off in the distance as if focused on something else as he gripped Isabella's middle finger in a death grip. Isabella didn't have time to ask what was the matter as the door to the base opened. Two security guards, dressed in the usual gray combat fatigues of security, were at the door, one of them all too familiar to Isabella. Both had the crossed swords of the Swords on their shoulders.

"Patrol 6, you are to come with us to the debriefing room. The Matriarchs wish to speak with you. Even the....fairy," the familiar one with brown shoulder length hair said, almost spitting out the last words. She glared at Flonne through her visor HUD and sneered a bit at her. Flonne whimpered before hiding behind Isabella's neck, a sniff escaping her.

"Leave her alone, Lutice," Isabella said with an equally hateful glare.

"Lu-Lutice?!" Sanders suddenly said in confusion over the radio. Isabella didn't have time to wonder about the outburst as Lutice turned toward Isabella and stepped closer, her face getting a smug smirk. She puffed out her C-cup chest as if trying to measure up to Isabella.

"Or you'll what? Hit me? Yell at me? Do anything? Just try it, but do be careful with those two...scouts of yours there," she said before she looked down at Aviel and Sanders, "Be a tragedy if I thought you were threatening me and my hand hit yours."

Isabella's anger flared as she pulled her carrying hand closer to her and covered it with her other. She stared daggers as Lutice and had to fight back the urge to smack her smug smile off her face. But doing that would be what Lutice wanted and she wasn't going to fall for that. Unfortunately, Flonne did not pick that up.

"Just try it, you big meanie! I'd catch them and then Isabella would kick your ass!" Flonne said before sending a burst of air to blast into Lutice's face. Lutice's head was sent back a bit from the sudden burst of air and her smug look vanished to be replaced by one of sheer rage. She took another step closer and her hand started going toward her baton. The other officer looked about to reach for her's before stopping and coming to attention. Lutice didn't notice as she took out her baton and started to brandish it toward Isabella.

"LUTICE, WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!" Gabby yelled from behind Isabella. Lutice's smug look vanished to be replaced with on of terror as Gabby came charging toward her from behind Isabella.

"I-I...sh-" was all Lutice was able to stammer out as she looked up at the far taller and bigger Gabby.

"YOU ARE BRANDISHING A WEAPON AT A FELLOW SOCIETY MEMBER, AREN'T YOU?! AND one transporting tiny Society members as well! You better have damn good reason or so help me, I will shove that baton so far up your ass I will pull it out of your mouth and repeat the process till I get bored!" Gabby yelled straight into the face of Lutice. Isabella couldn't help but smile as Gabby showed off her old skills as a Drill Sergeant and put Lutice in her place as just a security member. Lutice backed away and whimpered out something that sounded sorta like an excuse, but Gabby apparently didn't like it.

"Sounds like bullshit to me! You are lucky I am on corpse delivery or you would be throwing up that baton right now! You," she said pointing at the other security officer, "take Lutice to the brig and keep her there till I get back. If she isn't there when I get there, you'll be coughing up batons too! Understood?"

"YES MA'AM!" the other officer yelled with a hint of terror in her voice. She grabbed Lutice and began half dragging half running her toward the brig. Gabby stared them both down as they retreated out of sight.

"Thanks, Gabby," Isabella said as she opened her palm back up to let Aviel and Sanders see again. Aviel had taken her sword out and looked ready for a fight, while Sanders was clutching her finger even tighter. Both calmed down as they saw that Lutice was gone.

"Don't mention it, Cap. That little bitch is getting too big for her panties, anyway. I swear those Sword girls think they can do whatever they want no matter their rank," Gabby grumbled angrily.

"They have been getting more...aggressive lately. Lutice was not one for such open shows of hostility until recently," Isabella commented.

"Yeah...like I said, too big for her panties. But enough chitchatting. Matriarchs will be the ones doing the ass insertions if I hold you up. Good luck in there," Gabby said as she headed off to the medical ward with a wave. Isabella sighed to herself as she headed for the debriefing room. It seemed like the tensions between the Shields and Swords got worse everyday. And she was about to walk right in the middle of it.

"What was that about, Sanders?" Aviel asked reminding Isabella of his outburst.

"N...Nothing. Just...I knew someone who was named Lutice once, but that couldn't have been her," he said in an unsure voice. Neither Aviel or Isabella pried any further, they had gone through enough today without dragging more old history out.

Isabella arrived at the debriefing room and looked at her three charges. They all didn't look ready in anyway, but there was no delaying it any longer. She opened the door and stepped into the debriefing room with the two leaders of the Atlanta area Advanced Science Society.

     Article on Shields and Swords Creation

In the year 2018, the Society was no longer able to ignore the threat posed by the Resistance. With the Society death toll around the world reaching into the thousands, the Director and Vice-Director came up with a new strategy to combat the threat. They split the Society into two main groups.

The first would be the Shields. The Shields would be tasked with protecting the already established cities and overseeing their continued prosperity. They would act as shields to their normal-sized charges and defend them from the threats o the Resistance and the outside world.

The second would be the Swords. The Swords would be tasked with taking the fight to the Resistance and driving them out of the areas around the cities. They would crush any threats and make more areas safe for the cities to expand into.

Since then, the two groups have worked hand in hand to lead the world into further prosperity and drive the Resistance back further and further. Loses due to Resistance efforts are at an all time global low and their activity has nearly reached negligible levels.