- Text Size +

Chapter 3: The Fairly Newbie

October 18, 2023 6:04AM

5:15 came too early for Aviel. If there was one thing she hated most about being in the Rangers, it was the early mornings. She was not a morning person and her alarm clock demanding her rise was her one true hate in the world. But she had to play the good soldier so she could rise through the ranks. She wanted her normal height back and the power that came with it. And the revenge that would come after.

She half dragged, half stumbled into her apartment's bathroom and began to get ready. She ran on suede auto-pilot as she showered, dried off, kinda combed her hair, and ate her normal bowl of cereal(Commodore Crush). By 6:00 she was half awake and on the tram heading for the station.

The tram was rather bare of people, most in the same daze of still waking as she was in. They all looked to be heading for their own jobs. Outside, most of the city was either winding down or slowly rising. Those few night time businesses began to close up while daytime ones had their first few employees file in. She yawned as she looked down on them from the tram rail high above. One day she wouldn't need to be in a tram to look down on them.

Finally, the tram pulled into the station. She sighed to herself before heading for the doors. Waiting nearby was Sanders who looked as bright and cheery as ever. The damn bastard was the exact opposite of Aviel when it came to mornings. The guy seemed to always be smiles and sunshine no matter how early it was. She swore something was broke in him.

"Good morning, Aviel," he said in an infuriating cheery tone. Aviel wanted to make a snappy remark, but the message got garbled between her brain and mouth. Instead all she managed was an annoyed grumble. She was too tired to try again so she just focused on getting to the tram going to the base.

The trip was as awful as she expected. Sanders was as talkative as ever about his family visit. She had learned from day one he was big on family. She would have thought he was rubbing the fact he still had one in her face if she thought he was that cruel. But Mr. Farm-Born-and-Raised didn't have a cruel bone in his body. She did usually enjoy these stories as they were always funny, but right now she hated everything. Including his damn stories.

Her mood didn't improve as they arrived to find Isabella waiting for them. She was already fully outfitted in combat gear and looked ready for a fight. Her long sleeve shirt was covered by a combat vest with a few added bits of flak over her arms. Her feet were covered in large combat boots that came all the way up to her knees and protecting them in lightweight but highly durable metal. The only reason Isabella would be be using that is if they were in for combat, and not the animal kind. She had their gear waiting for them in her hand. Whatever they were about to do it was damn urgent if they weren't even getting a proper briefing.

"Hurry up you two. Get kitted and hold on," she said as they climbed into her hand. She didn't even wait for them to get to their gear before starting back, though still took a moment to make sure she was clear of any normal sized people. Aviel didn't have much trouble getting to her gear and getting on her stuff despite the shaking. She had been at this long enough to have her giant-legs, as they were called. Sanders, though, was having trouble just standing up, much less getting his much heavier gear on.

"Dam-oww! How the hell do you make this look so, FUCK, easy?" Sanders said getting smacked around by his own armor. Aviel couldn't help but laugh at him, her tiredness vanishing as the adrenaline of a mission began to set in.

"Does the kid need big sis to help?" Aviel taunted him with her hands on her hips. She didn't give him a chance to answer before pushing him down on his back.

"Just stay there and I will get your stuff," she said with a more sincere tone. Despite his annoying morning mood and her constant taunts, she did like Sanders. He was still really new to the Rangers and hadn't gotten fully used to how they did things, but he wasn't a complete waste. Really, the only problem she had with him was just his inexperience and she couldn't really hold that against him.

With her help, Sanders managed to get his stuff on, though he was already starting to turn green. Isabella either didn't notice or didn't care that she might get his breakfast on her hand as they headed out toward the vehicle depot.

"So what's with the big rush or we just going to be in for a big surprise?" Aviel asked as she moved away from Sanders' range.

"We are on a rescue mission. Dr. Gregor Manchent vanished last night from his home-"

"Wait, THE Gregor Manchent?" Sanders interrupted suddenly looking less green and more shocked.

"Yes," Isabella answered looking a bit angry at the interruption, "the Gregor. His bodyguard was found a few minutes ago near the edge of the city, killed by a gunshot to the head." Sanders eyes went wide as Aviel cursed under her breath. The Resistance, no one else had guns and no one else would be evil/crazy enough to kidnap Dr. Manchent.

The Doctor was famous in New Atlanta. He had helped design practically everything new in the city. From the tram lines to the new water systems, basically everything the city needed to run he had helped with. Doing such had made him very wealthy, though you would never have known it. He had given nearly all his money away to charities, scholarships, and just random people on the streets. If New Atlanta had a universal father figure, it was Gregor Manchent.

"Shit...with his knowledge there is no telling what kind of damage they could do," Sanders said with a hint of fear entering his voice.

"Exactly, which is why we need to hurry and search our assigned area. And why we have a new member joining us," Isabella said as they arrived at their scout vehicle. Aviel raised an eyebrow as Isabella opened the door to reveal their newest recruit.

The new recruit was standing in the passenger seat fiddling around with the power windows. She was far larger than Sanders and Aviel, standing at least one and a half feet tall, and had a very slim figure. However, her height was not the thing that drew Aviel's attention. No, that was her translucent, butterfly-style, purple wings sprouting from her back.

She turned as the door opened causing her short grass skirt to flutter up a bit. Two large "antenna" made from her green hair waved about her head and almost seemed to move of their own will. She gave them all a big smile as she waved to them.

"This is Flonne, the fairy assigned to help us. Flonne, this is Sanders and Aviel, my scouts," Isabella introduced them pointing them out with her free hand. Sanders stiffened and looked about to grab his mace while Aviel just stood there. She didn't exactly dislike fairies, but she wasn't a fan of any new additions, monstergirl or otherwise. She had just gotten used to Sanders, now she had to deal with another new addition. Flonne, however, didn't seem to have any problem with them.

"Hi!" she beamed out with more cheeriness than Aviel had seen in her entire life. Aviel could already tell she was going to find Flonne annoying. Sanders, however, relaxed a bit hearing her talk and gave a pseudo wave.

Isabella climbed into the car and took her seat. She moved her hand over toward Flonne and nodded to her. Before Aviel or Sanders could react, Flonne had grabbed them both by the waist, one in each hand, like a person might grab a doll.

Aviel grunted from the hand going around her. Flonne didn't squeeze them too hard, but being held like a doll was not very comfortable, doubly so by a stranger. Knowing that all she would have to do is squeeze only made it worse. Aviel was able to keep calm, though, knowing that fairies were practically the opposite of violent. They were meant for capture and rescue and there were almost no stories of them causing Society deaths, unlike catgirls. Sanders, however, didn't seem to know, or just didn't care, and began to struggle rather violently as he started to freak a bit. He began to kick and punch at her hand trying to free himself.

"Let go, Let go! LET GO, DAMMIT!" he yelled causing Flonne to set him down on the seat. Sanders scrambled away from the giant fairy as he hit the seat.

"Calm down, Sanders. She isn't going to hurt you. Just look at her, does she look dangerous?" Aviel said from her higher vantage in Flonne's hand. Flonne's antenna had drooped a good bit and her big cyan eyes were slowly beginning to water. Her lip quivered a bit as she looked away from Sanders. Sanders looked at her for a second before opening his mouth to say something. He reconsidered as he closed it and looked away, blushing a bit.

"He is just upset that you grabbed him so suddenly. People don't like being held like toys without their permission. Set them on your lap, Flonne, and they will be more comfortable," Isabella said in a soothing tone. Flonne looked up at the far larger woman and Isabella gave her a warm motherly smile.

"Ohhhh, so he didn-... sorry," Flonne said to Sanders before whipping her eyes with her free hand. Sanders' hand moved away from his mace hearing her say sorry and he relaxed a bit. Flonne sat down and then placed Aviel on her lap before looking over, expectantly, at Sanders. Sanders took a deep breath and walked toward her tree trunk-sized legs.

"Little help?" he asked Flonne with a sigh. She slowly lowered her hand toward him, seemingly scared of him panicking again. Sanders keep his cool, though, and used her hand like a step and pulled himself onto her lap.

"Make sure they don't fall," Isabella instructed giving Flonne a small pat on the head.

"Okay," Flonne said cheering up again as she slid her hands behind them to make sure if the slipped backwards she could catch them. Sanders looked over at Aviel with an annoyed look, giving her an unspoken I hate this. Aviel just shrugged as if to say, what are you going to do? He slumped a bit before looking back up at the fairy who was going to be their seat for the ride. She was looking between both of them confused as to what they were doing. At least, for Sanders sake, she wasn't a catgirl. Aviel was positive Sanders wouldn't be able to keep it together if she was. For good reason too...

Isabella's smile spread a bit seeing them at least getting somewhat along. She closed the door and started up the car now that they were situated. She quickly floored the gas pedal and they speed out of the depot. Flonne keep her hands close to Sanders and Aviel as Isabella speed to their target.

"Should I hold you now?" Flonne asked them looking a bit worried. Sanders was having trouble staying on and keep slipping back onto Flonne's waiting hand. Aviel wasn't faring much better, despite her experience. Isabella was driving more erratically than ever and the fairy's thigh was far too smooth.

Finally, Sanders gave up as he slid back into her hand and said, "Dammit! Yeah maybe that would work better, but be-" He didn't get to finish as Flonne wrapped her table-sized arm around him and pulled him into her mostly flat chest. Sanders looked scared at first, but his panic faded as he noticed he was being held between her modest breasts. Even more so when he noticed he could see somewhat past her sling top and see her pert nipples. Flonne smiled down at him before turning to Aviel.

"I'm fine," Aviel said before sliding back into Flonne's waiting hand again. Sliding or not, she wasn't going to be held like a baby. Unfortunately, her pride made for one hell of an unfun ride and the thirty minute drive to the outskirts of the old city seemed to drag on forever. Doubly so with Sanders looking down on her making himself out to be rather comfy between the fairies small breasts.

Finally, Isabella brought the car to a stop and reached back over for them. Flonne handed them both over as gently as possible. Isabella climbed out of the car and waited for Flonne to fly out of the car before shutting the door.

They looked to be in an old suburb, long abandoned now that most everyone was in the actual city. The old houses looked to be beginning to crumble thanks to their lack of maintenance and a few small vines and plants were beginning to grow into the roadways and houses. Miniature trees were already beginning to grow in what had once been lawns, turning them into new forests. If the Resistance was here, they had more places to hide than Aviel cared to imagine.

Isabella knelt down and placed them on the ground before saying, "I have sent you a picture of Dr. Manchent just in case you have never seen him. Remember, we are dealing with the Resistance so assume they are armed. And do NOT fight them." She looked hard at Aviel with the last line which only made her grumble inside her head. Like she would be stupid enough to rush a guy with a gun. Wolves were one thing, guns were another.

"I will be waiting near the vehicle so as not to spook them. Flonne, you take to the air and keep an eye on both of them," she instructed getting a playful salute from the fairy, "You two, find Dr. Manchent and then send the regroup signal. Don't use the radio unless absolutely, necessary. The Resistance have been known to have working radios and might catch wind. Stay alert and keep each other alive, understood?"

Aviel and Sanders nodded as Isabella stood back up. Both of them activated their locators then looked at each other.

"Take this side and I'll take the other? Meet up in the middle?" Sanders suggested.

"Sounds good, watch yourself. That armor can only do so much against bullets," Aviel agreed before slapping his chest plate.

"Same to you, can't dodge bullets," Sanders said with a grin and a thumbs up. They split up heading for their side of the suburb. Above them, Flonne hovered in the air and tried to keep an eye on them both.

     Article on Fairies

Fairies are one of the most common and most seen monstergirls used by the Society. They are also, the only monstergirls that are allowed inside normal city borders. Unlike other monstergirls, fairies have no desire to consume normal-sized people. Quite the opposite, in fact, as nearly all are strict vegetarians.

While much of their creation is held as classified information by the Society, what is known is that they are created from vat-grown human embryos. These embryos are somehow changed so that they turn into a fairy and then grown to their full size after a few months. Some have protested this practice, but such movements are rather small and unorganized.

Fairies general stand somewhere between 11" and 1'2" tall, considerably larger than any normal person. For this reason they are often mistrusted by people despite their unaggressiveness tendencies. Their large wings give them the ability to fly making them near impossible to escape from and some reports even state they have some kind of "magic" that they can use, though such reports are generally thought to be false. They are, also, most known for their ability to "store" people inside themselves for transportation back to cells or medical attention.

Typically, fairies are used to capture Resistance terrorists or particularly heinous criminals when inside city limits. Outside the city, their uses are classified.