- Text Size +
As I paced outside the parking lot, I couldn't help but think about how crazy this all was. Here I was, stalking my best friends car and feeling like a total creep. I knew she got out of work soon, but what would I say? Why couldn't I just say the words? Why couldn't I tell her who I was? Why did it even matter? Maybe it was better if she didn't know. As I let the time pass, I run through the entire thing in my mind, still feeling ridiculously hungover from my brief experience as a female to this point.

One night, I had been out with my friend Val, and things were fine, relatively speaking. I went out to that bar and came home, and the next thing I knew... all this shit happened.

Suddenly, my train of thought was broken by none other than my friend Val.

"Oh my god" I heard her say, sounding a bit miffed. I turned towards her startled. I could only nervously stutter.

"Wh-What?" I exclaimed, feeling myself turn flush red again.

"Y-You... are ... oh my god" Valerie tsked. I had no idea what to say.

"What?" I repeated.

"Please leave me alone" Valerie said, her tone sounding very scared. As I could feel the tension grow between us, I became further paralyzed with fear. What was I going to do? She stared me down for what felt like hours and I continued to grow nervous. I looked down, unable to make eye contact with her and felt the shame come over me.

"V-Valerie..." I muttered, barely audible.

"No, please" she said, looking at me with fearful eyes, "I don't know you, I don't know how you found my car or how long you've been waiting, but please, leave me alone or I'll have to call the police"

"V-Val..." I said, being face to face with her stonewall appearance. I had no choice. I had to release my emotions. I opened my mouth to speak, but only one thing happened. I cried, yet again, uncontrollably. I found myself clutching the side of Valerie's car as I fell to my knees. Why did this keep happening?

"L-Look, I don't want any trouble..." Valerie sighed, walking around me to get to her driver's side of the car. I continued to feel desperation grasp me as I watched her drift away from me. It was now or never. "Please, leave me alone. I hope you feel better"

"Valerie, please wait!" I said, holding back the tears and the pain, "It's me..."

"Me, who?" Valerie said, sounding incredibly impatient as she paused at her car.

"It's ... It's Bobby" I sighed, throwing myself into the car door.

"Wh-What did you say?" Valerie asked, raising an eye brow.

I finally gained the strength to stand and looked my friend straight in the eye, my lip quivering.

"Valerie... it's Bobby..." I said, my voice still sounding foreign to me. "I know its hard to believe but... I... woke up ... like this... and... this is me... Bobby..."

Valerie gave me a blank stare for several seconds. I made unwavering eye contact, hoping that she would understand. My face and body had changed significantly but my eyes weren't too far different than before. I was still similar to myself, but was I similar enough?

After moments of silence, Valerie finally made a move. She opened the door to her car and rolled down the window to talk to me.

"Get in" she said.

"Huh?" I asked.

"Get in the car" Valerie said, firmly. She unlocked the passenger side door to allow me access. I stared at her blankly. "I don't have all day"

I let out a great sigh and opened the door, letting myself settle into the seat uneasily. I shut the door and looked over at her. She put her keys in the ignition but didn't start the car. She seemed fascinated at looking over at me. Everytime she did, I turned away nervously, diverting my attention from her by any means nessecary.

"Y-You're not making this up, are you?" Valerie asked, her voice sounding as nervous as I felt. I shook my head no. "Bobby... look at me"

I turned around and looked her in the eyes. Her beautiful hazel eyes met mine and I felt a bit more at ease, but I couldn't really say why. All I wanted was someone to comfort me, someone to help me, and even somebody to understand what I had yet to understand. At the very least, Valerie had always been that, but in this bizarre circumstance, would that be enough?

"I... I'm sorry" Valerie said, after taking a long deep breath. I looked at her inquisitively.

"You're sorry?" I asked.

"Yeah... I shouldn't have avoided you" Valerie said, "or ignored your texts"

"Seriously? Don't worry about it" I said, sighing with relief, "So... you believe me?"

"H-How could I not?" Valerie sighed, "I just have to ask you one thing..."

"Ok... what's that?" I asked.

"Are these real?" Valerie chuckled and playfully squeezed my left breast. I felt a bit awkward but I chuckled.

"Y-Yeah... as real as yours" I laughed. "But seriously... how did this happen to me?"

"I have no idea" Valerie said, her voice trailing off as she looked in her rear view mirror, then back at me, and then back at the mirror. She began to drive.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"Back to my place, of course" Valerie said, "unless you wanted to go out for a pedicure"

"Ha... very funny" I sighed, crossing my arms in frustration.

"I was only kidding, Bobby" Valerie said. "Should I still call you Bobby?"

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Well, I mean, Bobby's a boys name... and you're not exactly..." Valerie stuttered.

"Please stop" I sighed, sounding half serious but half joking, "This is embarassing enough as it is"

"Okay okay" Valerie sighed, "I'll be honest, I have no idea what you must be going through. I could only imagine what it'd be like if I woke up as a boy"

"Heh yeah" I said, briefly chuckling to myself at the thought.

As more time passed, we became more relaxed around each other. We even started making small talk about her day at work. It was remarkable how little had changed despite my entire appearance. During the drive home, Valerie also received a text from her now ex girlfriend Alex. I sighed with frustration.

"What?" Valerie asked defensively.

"I told you to stop talking to her" I tsked, sounding like a teenage girl at a slumber party, "she's no good for you"

"I know, I know..." Valerie sighed, "I just... I don't know. She wants me to come by and pick up the rest of my stuff and..."

"You're not going to, are you?" I asked, finding myself raising my voice to a squeaky high level for a moment.

"I have to, Bobby" Valerie said, "I left some expensive things over there... plus, I don't know, I kind of want closure"

I sighed and stared down at the floor mats.

"I suppose I can understand that" I said, as Valerie pulled into her driveway. We walked up towards her room and continued talking.

"So, that guy from work kept hitting on me again today" Valerie said.

"Oh yeah?" I asked.

"Yeah, he's kind of getting annoying" Valerie chuckled, "I mean, I guess I'm glad about the attention but..."

"But what?" I asked.

"I-I don't know" Valerie stuttered, "It doesn't really matter... I'd say YOUR issues are a bit more important right now"

"Yeah" I sighed, almost glad to be able to escape from my dilemma, even from that brief moment. "But what do I do about this?"

"I'm not sure, really" Valerie said, while going into her closet and picking through some clothes. "But why not have fun with it? Y'know? Ride it out?"

"WHat?" I asked.

"Here, try this on" Valerie laughed, throwing me a pink tank top of hers. I looked at her with a stare of bewilderment.

"You serious right now?" I asked.

"Yeah, c'mon Bobby, embrace your feminine side" Valerie said.

"Ugh..." I sighed, noticing her giving me a puppy dog type of look. Maybe it was my new found feminism or my own remaining obedience towards women, but I took her up on the offer and reluctantly accepted the clothes she picked out for me. New female clothes for my new female body.

I took the clothes into her bathroom and awkwardly got undressed. Again, I stared at my naked body in the mirror, feeling confused as ever to see the face staring back at me. I decided to block it out and focus on putting on the clothes Valerie had given me. I yanked the tank top on, feeling it tug at my breasts. I finally got myself together and came out of the bathroom to see Valerie laying on her bed, on her phone again. She looked up for a second and saw me in my new clothes.

"Wow, that's working for you" Valerie said, standing up and leaving her phone on the bed.

"Uh... yeah" I said, still feeling out of place. Valerie got closer to me.

"Yeah..." Valerie said, giving me a reassuring smile, "well hey, at least you're beautiful"

I chuckled nervously. There was that word again. Beautiful.

"Uh... thanks" I said, feeling myself turn flush red.

"In fact..." Valerie said, approaching me even closer. "That tank top... looks really hot on you"

"Um... thanks" I said, feeling infinitely more uncomfortable as Valerie closed in on me, her body nearly touching mine. There was a brief pause before I could swear she started to lean in towards me. I quickly backed away. "Wh-What are you doing?"

"Uh... nothing" she chuckled, backing off and quickly retreating to her bed. She grabbed her phone and avoided making eye contact with me. I sighed nervously and looked at myself quickly in her bedroom mirror and then back at her... one of my best friends who I think had just tried hitting on me...