- Text Size +
I was out on a dinner with my friend Valerie, and we had been eating at one of our favorite Chinese restaurants, Magic Dragon Palace. The teryaki ribs may have been sweeter, had it not been for our less than pleasant circumstance for meeting. Valerie and I usually met places like this to discuss problems we were having and she had recently been broken up with by her girlfriend. I hated to see her so upset, but at the same time, I also had a lot on my mind as well. I had been single for years myself, although I had ... well, been around to put it lightly. It was never anything serious, but a lot of women found me attractive for some reason, just not attractive enough to date, only to sleep with.

As I watched Valerie finagle her lo-mein awkwardly around her fork, I felt bad for her because I could sympathize on most things love. Granted, I had never been a lesbian before, but how much more different could it be? Well, considerably different, I was about to find out.

"I just can't take it sometimes, yknow?" Valerie said, her eyes turned away, absorbed in her plate and the table. I tried to do my best to maintain my sympathetic attitude. It's not that I didn't care, but after a while, I found myself hopelessly frustrated with her, trying to reason with her and not being able to relate. "Alex said she liked me, she was so much different... and just... ugh."

She paused from eating to reach her hand below the table, from where she retrieved her shiny black cell phone, the messenger behind many devastating texts. I gave her a warning look.

"Dont." I said to my friend. She stared back at me, giving me a joking glare, but then slowly putting down her phone. Before she could finish stashing the device though, a nearly imperceptible vibration awoke within it. Of course, she sensed it as well, and looked at the phone as I buried my eyes into any direction other than hers.

"You gotta be kidding me..." I sighed.

"I'm sorry..." she said, her voice sounding strained, despite having an overall flat demeanor to that point. "It's not Alex anyway... it's Jake"

"Oh, that guy from Eastway?" I asked, referring to the bar we'd sometimes frequent.

"Yeah, he kept hitting on me the other night... like how dense do you have to be...?" she chuckled, leaning in closer and talking softer so she didn't make a scene "... I mean, I'm gay"

"Heh, yeah" I said, not really thinking much of it. To me, Valerie was just a friend of mine. We had been friends for a few years, talking here and there but becoming closer recently from her own issues with women, and my inability to love women... other than sexually.

"What was that about?" Valerie asked, giving me a curious look.

"What?" I asked.

"That 'heh'" she said, her eyes fixated on me. I could tell she wasn't going to let this go.

"It's nothing" I retorted, "seriously. I just mean... I don't know...? You've been with a few guys before, right?"

"Yeah, but I keep telling you... it just wasn't there... the chemistry" Valerie said, causing me to tsk under my breath.

"The chemistry" I said, ignoring a text message of my own as she spoke.

"It's important, Bobby! I've loved a lot of people... I've been friends with a lot of people, and it's just different... I don't know, you don't understand it because you're a guy" she chuckled.

"What does that have to do with anything?" I laughed.

"Well, whether you're gay or straight, you just care about one thing ... getting it in" Valerie said, cracking a smile for the first time in a while.

"Oh, and you don't?" I chuckled, before realizing how silly that must've sounded. "You know what I mean"

"Actually I don't..." she said chuckling.

"Well... shut up" I said joking. I finally acknowledged my text message, opening up my phone.

"Who's that?" Valerie asked.

"It's Jason, he says the place is crawling with babes..." I chuckled, "and we're still here eating Chinese... we should ask for the check and head out"

"That's ok" Valerie said, grabbing for her jacket on the chair and seeming a bit put off.

"Well... we don't have to" I stammered.

"No, go" she said, as the waiter happened to bring over our check and 2 fortune cookies. "I'm sure there's someone there you're just dying to meet..."

"Not really, actually" I admitted, "I'm just..."

"Just feeling it out?" she chuckled, opening her fortune cookie slowly. "Hmm. My fortune's actually pretty nice"

"Yeah? What is it?" I asked.

"It says 'You will find love in unexpected places' " Valerie said, tucking the fortune back into her pants pocket. "Aren't you going to read yours?"

"Nah, not big into that stuff" I shrugged, leaving the cookie on the plate.

"Whatever, more cookie for me" Valerie said, taking the cookie from the table and stashing it in her purse.

"There ya go" I chuckled, taking the check.

"What? Are you calling me fat?" she tsked.

"I never said anything!" I said, and put my credit card down with the check, being sure to pass it off to a nearby waiter. Valerie let out a great sigh.

"You didn't have to pay..." she said.

"I know, but I wanted to" I said sincerely, "you've had a rough night"

"I've had a rough week!" she sighed,letting her long black hair fall into her face, just so she could mess it up some more with her hands. "But... thanks"

"Sure" I said, as we slowly began to get up and head out the door. Before we did though, I helped Valerie on with her coat.

"Well, aren't you a gentleman?" she said, turning red in the face briefly.

"Ha, see? Maybe this lesbian thing isn't for you after all" I laughed, giving her a playful tap on the ass.

"Oh my god! Stop!" she sighed, pulling herself away from me. "You're such a pig..."

She rolled her eyes as we parted ways. I had playfully flirted with my friend before. Truth be told, I'd be willing to bang her if I thought she'd enjoy it.

But since she wouldn't, I figured I may as well try my luck yet again with the ladies at Eastway.

I walked into the bar, greeted by my overly confident friend Jason. He even made me second guess this whole "pick up artist" crap. He was so over the top, and yet he still managed to sleep with some of the hottest girls at the bar.

"Lots of hotties today" Jason said, his one track mind firing on all one cylinder. "Although some of them are really weird"

"Weird how?" I asked.

"I don't know, man... there's this one chick, Ericka who won't talk to anyone, she's just been sitting there all night, and the rest of them are just... all over the place, man. I don't know" Jason said. "If you'd like to try your luck, go ahead"

So, I took a brief seat next to a girl wearing all green.All the while, I couldn't help but feel guilty for leaving Valerie so early when she was having a tough night. I realize that during this stretch of introspection, I had been gawking at the girl next to me, so I finally spoke to her instead, admiring the shortness of her green skirt.

"Is it uh... Saint Patrick's Day already?" I chuckled.

"No..." she sighed, "green's my favorite color though, and I am part Irish"

"Oh? Cool. What's your name, I'm Bobby" I said.

"Chelsea" she said, half heartedly shaking my hand. I had been used to that feeling. Had I wished, we could've kept talking and maybe ended up in her bedroom,but for what? I began to feel apathetic. "Some of my friends and I were going out to get high... if you wanted to come"

I was no stranger to narcotics but I decided to lay low for the night. The guilt of abandoning my friend, along with the sudden downturn in my sex drive was making me feel more and more like leaving.

"Uh... thanks anyway..." I said, and suddenly gasped, feeling a bit of unwanted pressure in my throat.

"I'm sorry, what'd you say?" Chelsea asked, looking at me inquisitely.

"I said..." I muttered, coughing deeply, but I couldn't shake the feeling in my throat. My voice began cracking as I spoke. "I'd rather not..."

I gasped, and stopped talking almost immediately. My voice had been fluctuated and I sounded like I had laryngitis... or was going through puberty.

"So yeah..." I sighed, and began walking away, "I'll catch you later!"

I tried to sulk off, before anyone else caught wind of my embarassing "voice hiccups" but I should've figured it wouldn't be that easy.

"Ha! Oh my god!" Chelsea laughed, sounding about as drunk as she looked at that moment, "this guy's got a crazy voice!"

She sway to and fro on her barstool, laughing, eliciting some attention from the other girls at the bar, but not enough to cause a fuss, as I was able to slip out to my car. I looked at myself briefly in my car's mirror and appeared fine, but somehow felt strange. I fumbled for my keys and decided to drive home. Maybe I was coming down with something. I didn't need any more reasons to leave the bar, so I had no problem with driving home.

I tried testing my voice out for the hell of it on the car ride home. I sounded fine, at the moment, so I sighed and decided it must've been a crazy moment. Nerves probably got to me, I said to myself, trying to rationalize the brief happenings in my head. I got home early enough to consider calling Valerie.

I also decided to take my cordless phone into bed with me, feeling suddenly drowsy. I lay down in my bed and dialed her number. I listened to the phone ring 4 times on the other end before going to a voicemail. I sighed and began talking.

"Hey Val... hope you're doing okay. Just thought I'd say hi..." I said, gasping as my voice had "hiccuped" briefly again. For a short moment, I sounded like a chipmunk as I squeaked "HI" I quickly put the phone down and sighed. I definitely needed some sleep. Something I had eaten at that chinese restaurant wasn't agreeing with me. I let my phone slip from my hands onto the dresser beside me and quickly drifted off to sleep.