- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
In the world today, human beings dominate the planet. Huge cities are scattered all over the planet, with gigantic skyscrapers. People live out their lives while crime, death, and war occurs, generally unseen but known by the general public. These people sometimes have pets, like cats. Cats that spend their days wandering their homes, relaxing, drinking milk, eating, catching mice. Well, most typical cats anyway. Some of them even go outside and wander the streets on their own.

At least, that's how it goes on Earth.

In a parallel world, human beings do NOT dominate the planet. They furthered their technology so much, that when the next Great War came about, they nearly obliterated themselves. The rest of the human beings could not survive. They eventually died out. They left a legacy of technology behind them. With the Homo Sapien race gone from the world, there was no living creature able to utilize it. No living creature with the amazing ability to think and reason like the human beings, who misused those abilities.

So, the balance of power shifted. And an animal that had amazing survival ability was the cat. Even without an owner, they were able to hunt down their own food and generally survive. No one was around to control the feline population, so it spread gradually. And for millions of years, they continued to thrive and dominate the planet. Nature had chosen them to be the successor to the Homo Sapien race. Over time they grew more intelligent, learning basic, yet crude ways to communicate with each other. But no, it didn't stop there. They learned how to use basic tools, even figuring out some of the simple technology left behind by human beings. Over time they developed human like characteristics, including bipedalism. Throughout the course of evolution, they transformed into near-human beings at the pinnacle of their existance, retaining only cat ears, a tail, and some cat-like mannerisms. They learned how to harness the technology left behind. Unlike human beings, they did not focus on fighting. These neko-jin (Cat people) were a peaceful, cooperative race. In time their society resembled that of humans before they died out, only with generally less violence and terrible crimes. They spoke an unusual language which sounded like a mismash of a form of English and meowing. For this story, I will translate that.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A team of scientists, somewhere on this neko-jin populated planet, were utilizing new technology....the ability to cross dimensions. Trips to other planets were not uncommon. However, long-term population was usually impossible, or rejected by the planets' government.

"It seems there is at least one potentially inhabitable planet in this particular dimension," said a female scientist.

"This is an amazing breakthrough. We'll be commended for sure. This could fix the overpopulation crisis." replied another.

"But we're going to need a volunteer to go through and check it first. This could be like the rest of them......"

"Well, that's easy. Who's next on the list?"

"Kari. Kari Akimoto. She's 21 years old and specializes in biology. It says here her personality is sort of......unruly........"

"Well, aren't we all to a degree-nya?" replied the other scientist, laughing.

"That's true. You sure you want to trust her with this though?"

"It's a standard procedure. We just send her there to gather data on the atmosphere, living conditions, and the dominant species on the planet. Of course, there is supposed to be some sort of extreme size difference there......."

"No problem. We'll temporarily shift her size. Call her up, and tell her she's been chosen."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kari Akimoto was watching a television program on her OLED (Organic Light Emitting Diode) television. She lived in a skyscraper apartment. The beautiful cat girl had a distinctive black skirt, along with smooth blue gloves to match her hair, boots, and a black shirt similar to the top half of a schoolgirl uniform, complete with blue bow. This was her favorite outfit, which she liked because it was "extremely cute". She stood at 5'5", with green eyes and a DD bust.

Suddenly, the phone started to ring. Wondering who could be calling this late, she casually picked up the phone next to her.

"Yeah, hello.......this is Kari Akimoto speaking....."

"Hello Ms. Akimoto. We're calling to tell you that you have been chosen to study the ne-"

"YAY! YAY! I got picked! Finally, nyao!" she exclaimed.

"Uhm.....uh......" The person on the other end didn't know how to react, so she just continued. "You know the address already, am I correct?"

"Yeah. I'll be over. What time?" Kari asked.

"As soon as possible."

"Okay, thanks!" Kari excitedly said. She quickly turned off her TV and took the elevator down (with this technology it took an instant), and jumped into her car. Again, with the advanced technology, it ran on pure hydrogen cells.

It only took her 20 minutes to drive over to the lab. She flashed her driver's license to the guards at the door, who promptly let her in and directed her to the 52nd floor. But even with the building being that tall, it once again only took her an instant to enter the elevator and be whisked to the top.

"Hello Kari. From what I've heard, you're excited to get started." said the scientist.

"Oh yes! Yes I am!" Kari said, swishing her tail.

"Let me give you your mission briefing. You are to stay one week (8 days in their calender, with the days being the same length) on a newly discovered planet studying the habitat there. The planet, from the data we gathered, is called 'Earth.' and is supposed to bear a striking resemblance to ours."

"Yes, yes...." Kari said.

"There is a species called Homo Sapien living on that planet. We don't know much about them, but we want you to study them too. All you need to do is collect the data and transmit it back to our lab. Once your mission is done, you may stay for the duration of the week."

"Okay."

"There is some equipment we have for you. First is a Lexington Lab Matter Compression device. This will allow you to reduce any life form down to tiny sizes so that you may study them more extensively.

Secondly we have an air quality measurer, along with other tools that you'll need for a complete analysis. We also have to adjust your size to match that of the Homo Sapien race."

"Uhm.....why is that?" asked Kari.

"Because there is an extreme size difference which we are unable to determine at this time. For any meaningful communication to take place, you need to be their size. We've also included a translator that will allow you to speak with them."

"Okay........"

"By the way, if at any reason you need to restore yourself to regular, uncompressed size, just take this pill." She showed Kari the pill, and placed everything in a large bag. "Here you are."

Kari took the bag. "I start now?"

"Yes. Stand in the field and wait for us to send you off." said the scientist. Kari obeyed, and the scientist went over to the console. She adjusted a few dials and before pressing the final start button.

"Good luck."

Kari nodded as the transportation field energised around her (no, not like Star Trek) and in an instant, she was sent through space and time to her destination.