- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

This chapter is a bit longer than usual.

Trials Chapter 8: Exhibition Part 1

                Basic training at the academy had been the worst two and half months of Ramsey’s life. Running, jumping, sword training, and numerous other physical exertions had been more than a frail boy from the lower district could handle. They had almost broken him. The past month under Kiri had been far worse. He was broken, first mentally and now physically. His body hurt in places he couldn’t imagine.

                Ramsey laid at the edge of the water collapsed from exhaustion. He closed his eyes relishing in another brief respite from his training. Soon he heard the all too familiar footsteps of Kiri. He cursed to himself his break was over already. He knew what was about to happen. Against his bodies protest he quickly rolled to the left barely dodging the sting of her staff’s end. He then quickly rose up standing at attention before her. She had long ago stopped telling him when his breaks were over. She looked at him with a vague expression that almost read as approval. He braced himself ready for the impending onslaught. It never came instead she motioned for him to follow her once more and she rushed off into the forest.

                By now Ramsey had been trained to react to such things he quickly rushed after her stopping only briefly to grab the sack filled with all the gear that Kiri had brought earlier. It soon became his burden and he learned early on the punishment for leaving it behind. He soon gained a new respect for Kiri’s strength as the bag weighed at least as much as a full man and she was carrying it around one-handed with ease.

                “Shit!” he cursed to himself as he chased after her. She was breaking away from him. Even with the constant training it was hard for Ramsey. He didn’t feel like he was making any progress at all. She still outpaced him in a fashion where he was always just barely keeping up. Soon enough she had vanished into the leaves and branches and he had to rely on his own sense of direction. Traveling on the ground was getting him nowhere he looked at the trees above and made an audible gulp. Tree walking was not unheard of. If he had graduated to the next phase of scout’s training he was sure it was something he would have learned. Still looking at the trees even the lowest branches were two stories of the ground one missed step and he would most likely fall to his death. He looked back in forth. Kiri was gone; completely vanished into the surroundings. Ramsey had no choice he took hold of the tree and started to climb.

 


 

                Doratea woke up to the sun shining brightly in her eyes. She tried to move but found she was completely immobilized. She struggled only to find herself being rolled in the opposite direction. Suddenly a hand worked its way up her inner leg raising it and putting her in a fetal position.

                “Let me go. “ she said softly still trying to free herself.

                “It’s still early.” Said Dixie half asleep. “Stay in bed.” She then brought Doratea a little closer.

                “I’m a guardian Dixie. I have to oversee the games today.”

                “The arena can wait. I swear you only just returned and you already heading out to work.”

                “Dixie!” Doratea said more firmly.

                “Fine.” She relented letting go of her lover.

`               Doratea slowly rolled out of bed not wanting to break the embrace just as much as Dixie. She stood up and looked at Dixie a visible pout on her face. She leaned over and kissed her before proceeding to get dressed.

                “You know you could come with me?” She offered. “The younger girls would love to see a veteran.”

                “No.” said Dixie in a controlled monotone.“ I won’t go there till I’m called.”

                Doratea shook her head. She never understood why Dixie hated the arena so much. It was a place of honor built by the goddess herself. She looked at her face and knew Dixie was firm in this decision.

                Soon she had finished dressing choosing to wear her ceremonial blue uniform for the occasion. It was uncomfortable leather leggings and a tunic that draped down over her with small slits for the arms and head. This in turn was covered in a blue robe that ran down to her ankles. She then started attaching gold bracelets to her wrists and ankles and a gold chain around her neck.

                “You look beautiful.” Dixie said walking up behind her still naked. She then commenced to braiding Doratea’s hair in a long intricate braid that fell behind her.

                “This is all so unneccesary.” Doratea grumbled. “ Guardians need not a uniform to earn respect.”

                Dixie just kissed her on the cheek before finishing the braid and sending Doratea on her way.


 

                Doratea hated wearing her uniform. As she walked towards the arena she noticed how differently everyone treated her. She had worked hard the past twelve years since she had been formally appointed to try and build a relationship with her people. Yet as soon as she walked out in her uniform that all vanished and she was treated with the fear all who wore the blue earned.

                She removed her hood in hopes of showing that she was still a person. She could see young children look at her in awe and taskmasters would bow to her as she walked by. Even Shira who she considered a friend saluted to her. She sighed to herself. This was the same woman who got drunk with her after her inauguration and now she was treating her like the Queen. She continued on finally approaching the arena. A crowd had gathered at the gates dancing and celebrating in event that had become customary in the days before the games. They broke away as she passed giving her entrance to the arena. She walked through the tunnels and up a long flight of stairs to the upper level. She soon reached the royal box that overlooked the arena. It was mostly empty which was a rare sight. Even when the games weren’t happening it was often used as a market and trial house on occasion. She looked down and watched as woman prepared the arena for the games.

                “Parksis report.” Came a strong voice from behind her. She turned around to see the Queen herself sitting on the throne behind her.

                “Your highness!” she shrieked before bending to one knee in respect to her. “All glory be to you.”

                Celina Dartaneus was the benevolent queen of the Emerald Forest, great-granddaughter of the Goddess Milani, and ruler of the amazons as outsiders described them. She was also one of Doratea’s closest friends and one of Dixie’s most hated rivals. She was easily the most impressive woman Doratea had ever known heads taller than even Dixie. It was the royal blood that ran through the veins of all that were descended the gods and it what cemented their rule for generation. Doratea being of average build only came up to just under her knees. The queen stared at her for a tense moment.

                “Rise Dora.” She chuckled and gestured for her to come closer.

                Doratea winced to herself at the familiarity. Only three people in the world were allowed to call her Dora and Dixie hated that one of them was Celina. She came to the queens foot and felt one massive hand wrap around her. She looked into the queens silver eyes and saw the smile that formed on her face.

                “What news do you have from your hunt?” she said still holding Doratea.

                “Nothing to report your highness.” She gasped nervously. “The trespassers have all been caught.”

                “And what of your sister and the man she found.”

                Doratea heart skipped. She was ashamed she was even shocked. Of course Celina would know.

                “She has chosen to compete this year your highness.” The words fought her even as she spoke them.

                “She is brave. Just like her sister.” She said bring Doratea closer to her face.

                “She’s a fool!” Doratea blurted out of reaction. She then covered her mouth in shame for her disrespect.

                “Relax Dora.” The queen said placing her on her armrest. “You can speak freely.”

                “I think she should wait.”

The queen looked down at her knowingly.

                “All you have to do is ask.” She said calmly.

                Doratea looked at her in awe. This one act would break the sacred rights of the arena passed down from Celeste herself. The queen could forbid someone but it would be held under intense scrutiny and could even lead to rebellion. The fact that Celina would even risk that for her showed how much she still cared.

                “I can’t do that to her.” Doratea choked out.

                The queen didn’t seem very surprised. She picked up Doratea again and rubbed her back with her free hand. She then placed her back on the ground at her feet.

                “You are dismissed Parksis.”

 

Chapter End Notes:

Part 2 coming soon. Please comment