- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

No I haven't forgotten about this. 

Trials Chapter 28: Reunion

                Celina marched with authority through the hallways of her temple all the while she cursed Lillian. That bitch could never give straight answers. Her words still buzzed in her head like a hive of angry fire wasps. Could she really trust Lucinda? She didn’t want to believe it. They’d only known each other a short while but she’d felt a companionship with the young queen she hadn’t felt in years, but it all made too much sense.  She had a vendetta against them. Celina had been there herself when they executed her father. He’d cackled like a mad dog till the very end. It would explain the killings. One of her soldiers was competing in the games!

                “NO!” she stopped herself. She wouldn’t believe anything until she confronted Lucinda herself. She soon reached the door of the room Lucinda had been staying in. She placed a hand on the door. Her hand was shaking.

“For goddess sake I’m trembling.” She said noting the cracks in her voice. Why did this scare her so much? She took a deep breath and pushed open the door. What she saw surprised her.

“Sorry your highness there’s been an incident.” Said a guardian she knew as a senior; instead of blue robes she wore a dark red. The room was filled with half a dozen more inspecting the area which was in complete shambles. Chairs were scattered and broken. There was blood splattered on the northern most wall near a broken window and the sheets were missing. Celina’s heart skipped.

“Is she?”

“No.” the elder cut her off. She rubbed a finger through her greying hair tied in a braid that ran past her waist.

“What happened here?” Celina demanded.

 

He was fast now, faster than he’d ever been. As their squad sped through the forest treetops Celina was surprised that Ramsey easily the worst tree walker at the academy was not only keeping up he was setting the pace! Whatever had happened to him in the forest had changed him seemingly for the better. She had to crack a smile as Burns and Elroy struggled at the back of the pack unable to keep speed without sacrificing footing. Thelin for his part was keeping up if only barely. It was just her and Ramsey in the lead and he didn’t even look like he was exerting himself. Christine suddenly got the itch to push how far he could go.

“Halt!” she barked and immediately he stopped on a large branch just ahead of them. She joined him on the branch soon followed by Thelin and after half a minute both Burns and Elroy came upon the same branch. Burns seemed fine but Elroy was bent over desperately trying to catch his breath. It was a miracle he was even out here the poor man was over fifty and he was also burdened by his maps and other supplies he insisted on carrying with him in the name of “science”.

“There a reason we’ve stopped specialist?” Burns questioned.

“When did that happened?” Ramsey asked in surprise.

“You’ve been gone a while.” Christine smirked. She turned to address Burns. “We’re close to the area I last spotted a group of three, about a hundred yards that way.” She pointed her finger forward.

Ramsey jumped slightly at the number three.

“So why have we stopped?” Burns asked with annoyance.

                Christine’s mouth formed a wide grin and her eyes narrowed slightly. “I think it’s time we see what Ramsey can do with one of our little wagers.”

                “What?” Ramsey gave a puzzled look.

                “Oh! We’re gonna have a go dove!” Thelin cheered in excitement suddenly bouncing on his heels.

                “I don’t think now is an appropriate time.” Burns expressed.

                “Oh please captain. You must have noticed.” Christine nudged Ramsey with her elbow. “Are little sparrow’s finally grown a decent pair of wings.”

                Burns scratched his chin and scrunched his face. He knew she was playing him but he couldn’t pass down a chance as schooling his recruits. They were growing cocky as of late.

                “Fine.” He finally uttered.

                “You can’t be serious?!” Elroy protested.

                “You can officiate owl.” Burns informed.

                “You kids and your competitions, someone’s always got to be the best.” He huffed and he went on ahead at a leisurely pace to another branch about a hundred yards ahead.

                “I’ll put of twenty pieces.” Thelin chimed before bending down into a starting position.

                “I’ll match.” Burns added.

                “What’s happening?” Ramsey interjected.

                “It hasn’t been that long.” Christine smiled Taking position next to Thelin. “I’ll double.”

                Ramsey couldn’t help but chuckle when it dawned on him what was about to happen. He took a starting position at the end next to Christine.

                “I don’t have any money.” He informed.

                “Well then I guess you’ll just be racing for respect.” Christine stuck a tongue out at him.

                They all looked out towards Elroy who had one hand raised into the air.

                “3, 2, 1!” he shouted and dropped his hand. In an instant they were off.

 

                Kiri had regained her strength and was now walking. She trailed behind Doratea her head hung low in shame. She wasn’t bound but she dared not try to escape. She might be able to evade Dora if she was lucky but not Dixie. The giant amazon kept a few paces behind to stop any attempts.

                It had been tense travel as the trio wondered through the forest in no particular direction. It seemed Dora was content to wander in circles for the foreseeable future, not uttering a word leaving Kiri to wallow in despair. She had failed. It had been at least a day and if the second round of the games weren’t over yet they soon would be. Not that it mattered. She had no partner. Ramsey was gone and that hurt more. Her only hope was that they’d return to the village soon so she could track down that elf. Dawn was her name. She would break every one of that witches fingers until she spilled what she did to Ramsey, but none of that looked like it was happening anytime soon.

                “Why?” she thought. “Why is she leading us around like this!?” Was Dora trying to prove some point, trying to show what an impetuous child she still was. Trying to show just how little a chance she’d actually stood of winning, of finally finding the truth. That all she could ever do was follow. Forever in her big sister’s shadow to be lead to on her whims.

                “I hate you.” Kiri spat under her breath.

                Dora stopped bringing the small convoy to a halt. She turned and looked upon Kiri with scornful eyes and for a moment Kiri felt like she was only three years old. Then her face softened.

                “This is what you want right?” she reached into her robe retrieving a golden badge. It had a crow emblem on it and looked very similar to one she had seen before.

                Kiri said nothing but couldn’t hide the anxiety on her face.

                “You want to see him again, be with him again, more than your own family.”

                Kiri nodded slowly but remained silent.

                “Why?” Dora asked.

                Kiri had no response. She hadn’t even asked herself that question.

                “Do you love him?” Dora continued.

                Kiri hung her head even lower. “I don’t know.” Was all she could muster.

                “You don’t know, yet you drag him into our lives, our homes, our traditions!” her voice was rising now. “ A man we know nothing about. A man who learned our secrets! A man who could be killing our people! Your sisters!”

                “He would never do that!” Kiri screamed. Suddenly Doratea’s hand was on her in a tender embrace wiping away tears she didn’t know she was shedding.

                “I hope your right.” Dora spoke softly. She placed the badge in Kiri’s hand and wrapped her fingers around it. It wasn’t Ramsey’s but the familiarity somehow made her feel a little better.

                “Is that what we’re doing looking for him?” Kiri dared.

                “No.” Doratea answered flatly. “We’re waiting for him to find us.”

                Suddenly a rustle could be heard from the trees above.

 

                “Copper really!” Christine whined holding the spoils of her victory.

                “I never said pieces of what.” Thelin said wearing a cheeky smile purposely showing off his one silver canine.

                Christine grumbled at the remark and her meager winnings. She’d edged out Ramsey who tripped on a stray branch and had to settle for third. All to win what was barely equivalent to lunch money for the group. Why was she the only one who ever carried real coin on her?

                “Fun’s over men.” Burns barked switching straight back to business. He was always good at separating work and fun. By his look you wouldn’t even guess he took second.

                Christine bent down to inspect the ground. There were clear tracts marked in the soil. These amazons certainly weren’t very stealthy. The tracks matched with the direction she’d seen them heading and a clear trail of bent twigs and turned leaves marked a trail that had been recently travelled.

                “It looks like there heading south sir.” Christine informed. “They can’t be more than an hour ahead of us.”

                “Why are we hunting them again?” Ramsey asked. He was still unsure of his squad’s true intentions.

                “Intel.” Burns informed. “Primary objective is to ascertain the location of the light trees. The only ones who know said location are the amazons.”

                “Simple math isn’t it.” Thelin interrupted. “Least that’s how Slate explained it, seems an awful lot a trouble for a few trees and some fairy tale. I think are dear commander’s off his rocker.” Thelin spiraled his index finger next to his left temple.

                “He went insane?” Ramsey didn’t believe it. Tyson Slate was the most grounded man he’d ever met.

                “Way I figure it.” Thelin continued. “He’d been spending lots of time in the library last few months.”

                “Weeks at a time.” Christine clarified. “Before you even left.”

                “Then one day I’m busy cleaning the barracks and wondering what’s happened to me dear pal Ramsey and he comes rushing out laughing like a madman. Next thing I know I’m out here sweating me balls of and hunting giant women!”

                “So we find them then what ask where they keep their magic trees?” Ramsey proposed with a hint of sarcasm.”

                “At first.” Burns agreed.

                “But if not.” Christine added. She pulled out her own revolver spinning the barrel. “We convince them.”

                “Hopefully will have something of importance before we rendezvous.” Burns informed.

                “With Slate?” Ramsey asked.

                “No he has an advanced agent out here.” Burns informed. “Never met the man personally but I’m sure you’ve heard of him.”

                “Who.”

                “Cyrus Gulder.”

                Ramsey froze a cold chill running up his spine. He had heard the name. Everyone in the scouting legion had. Cyrus was a predator, an agent of the elite squad. He was a calm, calculated killer and worst of all he enjoyed it. He was an invisible shadow, a reaper, an assassin. But he had one name he preferred. The same name every member of the elite squad of the unseen stealth squad earned. Crow.

 

                Doratea could smell the blood on him. Before he’d even decided to show himself, that awful scent had permeated the air around him. He had dark hair that covered his eyes and wore a hooded black cloak.

                “I didn’t expect to find someone else so soon.” He said casually. “I’m lost you see and would very much appreciate some help.”

                A lie it was very clear someone had been following them. That’s what she’d intended but this man was not quite what she’d expected. There was something unsettling about the man. He carried himself with far more confidence than a human should. He didn’t seem to fear them at all and his appearance while disheveled was still to immaculate for someone who had been lost in this forest for even the smallest amount of time.

                “I’m looking for this.” He reached into a small pouch and pulled out a small parchment of paper. It had a drawing sketched on it that Doratea recognized instantly; a tree of light.

                “I’m sorry but I have no idea what that is.” Doratea lied.

                “Oh that’s a shame!” The man said in over exaggerated grief. “I was hoping a guardian would know more than the last ones.”

                So he did know more than he let on. This wasn’t good. How much did he know?

                “Could you maybe lead me to your village then?” he requested. “I’ve been lost for days and would very much appreciate a warm meal and a night’s rest.” The man gave a smile taking a step toward them. Doratea instinctively went to block Kiri.

                “Sorry to disappoint you again.” Doratea replied. “But we’re not heading in that direction.”

                “Oh on the contrary!” the man replied. “This is great news for me.”

                Doratea gave him a puzzled look.

                “That just means I can dispose of you like the rest.” He reached into under his cloak and brought out a strange device in his right hand, then a flash a light and a loud boom of thunder.

 

                “Did you hear that?” Ramsey shrieked.

                “A gunshot?” Thelin noted.

                “It’s coming from this way.” Christine pointed towards the direction of the obvious trail she had discovered. She was sure it was a trap for them but it seemed to have been sprung already.

                “Men double time!” Burns barked.

 

                “Is this what he felt.” Kiri thought as piece of hot metal lodged its way into her right shoulder. The heat in pressure seemed to magnify with each passing second and she had to bite her lip to stay lucid. She wondered if Ramsey had felt similar pain the night he’d been branded.

                “Kiri!” Doratea shouted.               “Well that’s a surprise.” The man commented. “Pity too. I don’t think that will kill her.”

                Kiri clutched her shoulder as a stream of warm blood ran down the side of her arm. She’d had worse but if she wasn’t attended to soon she might bleed out. Suddenly a gust of wind as her sister blew past her toward the man a ball of angry rage. Another boom and shriek of pain then her sister collapsed the ground in a spasm as blood dripped from her side.

                “Wow you almost got me!” The man laughed. “A second later and I would have been strangl-“ he was cut off as giant hand reached around his throat lifting him in the air.

                “You die now.” Dixie uttered in a cold monotone her eyes completely glossed over.

                “Not…yet.” The man croaked. He pressed a hand to his mouth and with his last breath let out a the call of a marsh crow the gurgled noise of his gasps only added to the realism.

                Suddenly more figures emerged from the treetops bearing two bearing down on Dixie and another rushing her. She was tackled to the ground and she suddenly felt something cool and metallic press into her forehead.

                “Move and you die!” she heard in an all too familiar voice. A voice in these past months she’d come to trust with her life. She looked up and almost broke into tears at the sight of the person who stood atop her.

                “Ramsey?” she gasped.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Expect updates to my other stories soonish.