- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

New chapter!

Trials Chapter 27: Scout’s Honor

                Familiarity, that’s what he felt. As he brushed his cheek the sting of Christine’s punch resonated with warm familiarity. Ramsey had been lost for so long, surrounded on all sides by a world he didn’t understand and everyday felt like he was being pulled deeper into. That sting, her punch, her dark hair, even her face that strained as she tried to hold back her emotions brought him back to a simpler time when he was just a simple cadet trying to survive the academy. He could not hold himself back.

                “Christine!” he shouted immediately he embraced her lifting her slightly in a hug.

                The motion caught her off guard. She fell backward in his arms before being pressed against his chest. She wanted to enjoy it. It had been so long and they had all been so worried, but she couldn’t they were still on mission and there was business to attend to. She pressed her elbow into one of his ribs he immediately recoiled with a heavy grunt. Christine noticed him grasping his left side. It was clear he was in worse condition then he looked, and he looked like shit. He was thinner, his hair was neck long and shaggy and he was even starting to sport a beard. She removed her pack pulling out a set of bandages.

                Ramsey stood awkwardly as Christine went to inspect him. It was embarrassing being examined in front of everyone especially after being gone for so long.

                “How long have you been out her by yourself she asked.” He winced at the question and the pain as she wrapped the tight bindings around his bruised abdomen.

                “Four months.” He replied.

                “Bullshit.” She replied coldly not bothering to look up at him. “YOU who could barely pass a basic field survival test somehow managed to live four months in this deathtrap.”

                “I was a prisoner for more three of them.” He smiled sheepishly hoping she and the rest of his squad would believe his half-truth.

                “The amazons?” she questioned. The words were like ice on her lips. He could already see the hate in her eyes as she spoke them. Ramsey never dared to ask why she hated them but he had his ideas. He could only nod in response.

                “Isn’t it amazing!?” Elroy interrupted. The old man fumbled with his drawings, rolling them up and placing them in their own specific tubes. “He’s been among them! Even as a prisoner he must have learned so much. What are their prisons like? What were they going to do with you? Kill you? Interrogate you? What do they feed prisoners?

                The entire group shot him a glare causing the old man to grumble. “You uncultured brats would deny a man of science the right to question! Heathens! All of you!” He continued to organize his documents.

                Christine continued her examination noticing small scars and scratches circling towards his back. “Take of your shirt.” She ordered.

                Ramsey hesitated. “I’m fine Christine, trust me.” He looked over to Burns hoping he would give the okay.

                He just shot him a wry smile and shook his head. “You have valuable intel on the amazon city and are too valuable now to be cleared without a proper examination.”

                “Come, on!” he begged.

                “You know you can’t argue with her.” Burns smiled.

                Ramsey looked to Christine. She was completely stone faced, her cute features dampening the desired effect. “Shirt off!” she repeated.

                Ramsey turned and pulled off his top revealing a plethora of fresh cuts and scabs that were in the process of scarring over. He could hear and audible gasp from the entire group. He crossed his arms covering his other equally shocking scar.

                “What happened?” Christine asked in a mix of amazement at the sight and terror at the horrors Ramsey must have endured.

                “Razor back.” He informed. “It caught me by surprise one day.”

                “And you survived!” Thelin asked. Even humans knew the raw savagery the creatures were capable of.

                “There was only one!” Ramsey continued. “And something else killed it before It could kill me.”

                “Something else?” Christine gave him an accusing look. “Like what?”

                “I don’t know.” Ramsey replied. “I didn’t get a good look I just ran as fast as I could.” Ramsey shook slightly nervous. He was so close to full on lying now. He could’ve told them about Ellie or maybe even his teacher, but that would only lead to more questions that he was even less comfortable answering.

                “Turn around. “ Christine commanded. Ramsey slowly turned his arms still crossed covering his front. Christine blushed slightly taking in his body full on. He was thinner yes but he almost seemed stronger and more well-built. The differences were minor but he all around seemed more confident, more capable. Still as she looked into his eyes he still seemed strangely defensive like he was hiding something. “Uncross your arms.”

                “This isn’t enough.” He defended. “As you can see I might be a little worse for wear but I’m perfectly capable of holding my own.”

                “UNCROSS THEM!” She barked.

                Ramsey in a last ditch effort turned towards his commanding officer. Surely this was enough for him? Burns just shrugged indifferently.

                 Christine was now staring daggers at him. Any longer and she would just pry his arms away herself. He reluctantly dropped his arms to his side revealing a dark scar burned into his abdomen right above his heart. It was in the shape of a crescent moon surrounded by a blazing sun.

 

                Her vision had returned. Kiri knew this because she was now quite nauseous from the disorientation of the ground moving beneath her. She could knew she was traveling but not under her own power. Than whose? Maybe Ramsey? Where was he?

                “Rmmmsy?” she groaned. Her throat was dry. Unnaturally dry. “Rmmsy. Wttrrr.” She repeated. Suddenly the movement stopped. An open canteen was presented to her. She opened her mouth and eagerly lapped up the water as it clumsily poured onto her face. Soon she had too much and started coughing as some went down her airway.

                “Sorry.” She heard in a familiar voice. It was warm, sweet and maternal, definitely not Ramsey’s.

                “Auntie Dixie?” she mumbled. “Where’s Ramsey?”

                “He’s gone.” Came another familiar voice, this one far harsher and colder, but with just a hint of warmth that was imperceptible to anyone who didn’t know it. Doratea. Then the memories came back. The fight, the fire, her sister’s power, when had she and Dixie made a pact? Wasn’t that treason!? Where was Dixie’s mark?

                “Where’s Ramsey?!” she shrieked. “Give him to me! He’s mine!” She struggled to free herself from Dixie only to realize she had been bound by her hands and feet.

                “Calm down Kiri.” Doratea instructed. Her voice was a calm contrast to her sister’s panic.

                “NO!” she screamed. Her thrashing finally managed to free her from Dixie. She landed face first on the hard ground earning a mouthful of dirt and leaves. “I swear if you hurt him I’ll!” She tugged against her restraints the thick vines only tightening with her increased efforts.

                Doratea sighed as she dismounted Dixie’s other shoulder. It was painful to see her sister in such agony, but she had to trust this was all for the best. She cautiously approached her manic sister who was actively wiggling in a desperate attempt at escape. She knelt down placing a hand on her cheek wiping the tears from Kiri’s eyes. “I haven’t done anything to him.”

                Kiri calmed down almost instantly. Her tears had stopped and her breath was slowing. “Then where is he?” She asked.

                “I don’t know.”

 

                “He’s a Kerla Si!” Elroy shouted just a bit too loud surprising everyone.

                Ramsey shuttered at his knowledge of the familiar term

                “A what Si?” Thelin turned.

                “Men captured by the amazon and harvested for their seed!” he continued.

                Everyone turned to Ramsey in mixed stares of anger and intrigue. His body immediately went pale. “I have no idea!?”

                “Clarification.” Burns ordered back to the owl.

                Elroy gave a smug smile and cleared his throat in pride. Now they were ready to listen. “It’s common fact that the amazons are a mono-gendered society.”

                “Yeah.” Christine fumed. She hated when Elroy knew something they didn’t. He had a habit of granting vital information in extended pontification.

                “Well that’s fine except for one major flaw.” Elroy paused for effect. “Sustainability, if a race is all one gender how have they survived this long? Where do their children come from?”

                “I always thought they were human like us.” Thelin informed.

                “As did many.” The owl continued. “But my research has made a vital discovery.” Another pause. “Something in there body makes it so they produce female offspring ninety percent of the time and the female always grows up with increased height and strength. It’s quite amazing based on the reports from our foreign ambassador say they can crush boulders in their bare hands and reach heights of up to fifty feet! ”

                “The POINT ELROY!” Christine snapped.

                “I’m getting to it.” He defended. “With the chance of a male child being born maybe once in twenty with odds like that the whole race would die out in a few generations, there definitely wouldn’t be enough for a whole army capable of sustaining and winning a ten-year war with a neighboring country like ours.”

                “Out with it man!” Thelin raised his hands in the air tired of the go around.

                “Slaves!” Elroy blurted. “Sex slaves to be precise. My theory is that for decades, maybe even centuries amazon’s have been kidnapping men from neighboring civilizations and enslaving them for the sole purpose of propagating their species. That mark on his chest is a sign of ownership.” He pointed to Ramsey. “Our poor boy here must have been subjected to night after night of unconditional mating with countless Amazonian partners!”

                Ramsey was frozen. Eyes blank and face pale, Christine shot him a glare of pure hate as her face turned red, Thelin broke out into hysterical laughter and Elroy gave him a sleezy eyebrow raise. Burns was the only one who managed to keep his composure.

                “Is any of this true?” he questioned and Ramsey met his stern gaze.

                “This is the first I’ve heard of it?” he managed.

                “I don’t suppose you have any proof Owl?” Burns addressed.

                “Well….no.” Elroy admitted. “As I said it’s just a theory but how else do you explain it?!”

                Burns shook his head. “I think we’ve entertained this enough. We have work to do.” He turned to Christine. “Is he clear for duty?”

                She nodded in confirmation.

                “Good!” he reached behind his back and produced a strange device tossing it to Ramsey.

                He inspected it. The device was silver and metallic with a rounded tube on one end that fed into another larger piece with a small tab sticking out. He pulled it back and it made and audible click. That led to a firm wooden grip with leather wrapping with a sparrow engraved on it which itself was attached to a trigger. He placed his index finger in a pulled it. Suddenly the device jerked and the larger tube peace rotated clockwise and the device clicked again.

                “It’s your new standard issue soldier. A weapon from the east called a gun. Thelin will teach you how to use it.”

                “Ay, sir.” Thelin nodded.

                “Work quick.” Burns continued. “We start hunting at nightfall.”

                “Hunting?” Ramsey questioned as Thelin led him out the tent.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Well now we know whose been killing the amazons. And their such a likable group of murderers too.