- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

What's this a new chapter? How about that!

Trials Chapter 24: Will

 

                The concept of a horde was not lost on Alaster. He had faced hordes of men, ogres, the ice apes of Mount Orion. So when Lemere described the mass of lynx pursuing them as a horde he had to question her observational skills. What was chasing them now was not a horde, not even a legion. The best he could compare it word he could find was avalanche.An avalanche of lynx had been following them silently hiding in the canopy and until they saw fit to make their presence known. Now they were upon them in full force as the terrain behind them seemed to disappear under the sheer number of their feline pursuers. He felt a quiver in his back that ran up to his neck, his heart quickened and he knew that he was afraid; not only for him but Lemere as well.

                The time for subtlety was over. Alaster took the lead propelling himself through the vicious growth caring nothing for the roots or thorns bludgeoning a path much like earlier, Lemere hot on his heels. Unfortunately she was also burdened by that cumbersome statue. She often had to correct her footing slowing her down. 

                “Dammit! Drop the statue!” Alaster yelled.

                “I would rather die!” Lemere protested. Suddenly an arrow shot from the treetops ahead of them pinning itself in her right arm. She let out a brief gasp and faltered slightly. This was all the opportunity a lynx needed to pounce onto her back driving sharp claws deep into her sides. Alaster broke his gait turning to see her ripping the cat from her with her good arm and tossing it aside. He bent down to grab her hand.

                “You alright?!” he reached. She didn’t grab his hand. She didn’t reply. Alaster saw fear plastered on her face as she stared behind him. He turned to see the avalanche encroaching from the front. He turned again to see them encroaching from the sides. The lynx had overtaken them. They were cut off.

 

                Lillian stared into the pool as it reflected the image of two warriors surrounded on all sides by enemies. The light trees had many mysterious properties that even Lillian didn’t fully understand. She looked on with morbid curiosity unsure how long the images would last. She would sit and wait and watch until her guest finally decided to show up.

 

                “On your feet Lemere.” Alaster ordered. This was perhaps the first time he ever addressed her by name. “If we die, we die with honor. “ The amazon pulled herself off the ground ready to face their inevitable demise. For a moment Alaster looked at this woman standing firmly by his side doing things he thought impossible of any woman. “There will be a place for you in Orion’s hall.” He stated

                “If I die I don’t want to be in any afterlife that has you in it.” She smirked.

                Alaster roared with laughter. “So be it then!” Both ran forward resolute into the lynx.

 

                Lemere was surprised In herself. Never had she fought this hard. She swung the statue like a club with her good arm not sure where her energy was coming from. It was as if her body knew this would be her last battle and was determined to use all its reserves to die in a blaze of glory. Still she was even more surprised in Alaster. He had taken a defensive position to her back seeming to pick up on whatever was giving her such force. He had given her the offensive, content to deflect and distract. Every time an arrow shot by or an assailant stepped closer he was there to keep them at bay. Why?

                 Alaster stared at the blood streaming down Lemere’s side. She hadn’t noticed. It wasn’t the arrow wound that was dangerous but the scratches from that first lynx attack. They were fairly shallow but they were still bleeding. Even his own shallow scrapes where still trickling. These cats where different they had darker fur, slitted eyes and some sort of poison on their claws soon they would both bleed out from bug bites. The only hope they had was if he could limit their damage and wait for an opportunity to flee. Chances where they would both die but maybe just maybe he could keep her alive he owed her that much.

                Lemere continued her wild assault smashing the statue of Volsta against the lynx. The goddess would be proud to see her visage used as a weapon. Lemere laughed to herself for a moment no longer caring about death and relishing in the high of battle. She was about to lose her chance at the only thing she’d ever wanted. If these were her last moments she was going to enjoy it.

                Lemere was laughing. That wasn’t a good sign. Unlike him she found little enjoyment in battle. He had heard rumors that some amazons experience a sense of euphoria in their final battle. Some call it embracing the goddess. He hoped her goddess was looking down on them now because without a miracle soon she would die and then so would he.

 

                “Another unexpected guest?” Lillian remarked. “I thought you would’ve run off by now?”

                “I think I’m starting to like your company.” Ellie purred. She sauntered over next to Lillian taking a seat in her lap. “They seem quite desperate.” She mused to herself observing the pair fighting for their lives reflected in the pool. She started nudging lightly at Lillian’s hands signifying the want to be petted.

                The amazon sighed in compliance and started scratching her behind the ears. “Such a spoiled girl you are.”

                “It’s no less than what I deserve.” She turned focusing on the images in front of them. She poked a finger into the water sending ripples across the vision of the struggling warriors “They are going to die.”

                “Unfortunately.” Lillian agreed.

                “They had so much potential.” Ellie curled into a ball burying herself into Lily’s lap. She yawned and grinned slightly. “Yes they will die. Just like the rest of you.” She whispered. 

Chapter End Notes:

Seems things are becoming a bit of a mess for everyone, but trust me when I say there is more to all of this. I hope you will understand if the chapters are taking a little longer to update. That's only because I've finally gotten to the parts I really want to write and I'm trying to give them the time they need. I'm actually really excited. As always I appreciate comments. Even negative ones....Not that I'm asking for it.