- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Another chapter. This time from Kiri"s perspective.

Trials Chapter 15: Dinner

                Her skin tingled. Fire burned through her veins and warmed her body. Kiri looked down at her servant Ramsey. This was all because of him. She could feel the power coursing through her. This was the legacy of the goddess this was what made her an amazon and this is what would be with her for the rest of her life.

“Why would Dora give this up?” she thought.

 She looked down at her soldier. She could see the confusion in his face, the doubt in his posture, the fear in his eyes. She wanted desperately to console him; to tell him it would be okay, but what could she say. She had taken something from him that could never be returned and for that she would always be in his debt. Still he was hers’ now and she would not tolerate such a pathetic display at least not in front of the others.

“STRAIGHTEN UP!” she ordered a little harsher than she had intended. Ramsey shot straight up and at attention in a reaction to his military training. She smiled internally. He was learning. They entered the main hall were most of the dinner guests had taken their seats. It was a small gathering of women: her sisters, her and apparently Ramsey’s teacher Lillian, and Queen Lucinda. They all sat along the sides of the massive table which was nowhere near full capacity. She took a seat across her sister and gestured for Ramsey to do the same. He immediately reached for a nearby chicken leg and took a bite.

“It seems your soldier is hungry.” Said Lillian causing her sisters to chuckle. Kiri’s face turned red. It was incredibly rude to eat before everyone had arrived. She would have reprimanded but she knew it had been days since both of them had eaten and he had earned it. She reached for a chiki and bit into it with an over-exaggerated chomping sound. A blue stream of juice ran down the side of her cheek as she devoured the fruit.

“Seems Ramsey’s poor etiquette has rubbed off on you.” Lillian observed. Kiri proceeded to stick out her tongue which had turned blue from the fruit. Their eating seemed to spark unrest with the rest of the group. They fidgeted in their chairs and Kiri could even see their mouths starting to water. Dixie in particular seemed especially hungry; her eyes transfixed on the ambrosia made from cream and a mixture of rare fruits. It was her favorite.

Queen Lucinda was next. She reached for a glass of wine and took a deep swig. Seeming to gain some courage she daintily crawled onto the table and grabbing a knife and headed towards a large slab of ham. The size difference reminded Kiri of a doll or a small child as she hacked away a slice of meat with a knife the size of a sword to her. She then proceeded to grab a piece of cheese and some strange red leaves from the salad bowl in the middle of the table. After of few moment of similar foraging she had cobbled together a rather large sandwich and was cutting it into small triangles. Everyone stood shocked at this well everyone except Ramsey who was busy taking bites out of large roll.

“These humans are so, unashamed.” Dora gasped.

“Screw it!” Dixie snapped. “That bitch always keeps people waiting just to show how important she is.” She reached for the ambrosia and starting scooping large portions onto her plate.

“Dixie you know better.” Dora scolded. The large amazon looked back at her lover sternly.

“Eat Dora.” She said emphatically gesturing to the spread before us. “You take your duties too seriously sometimes.

“But.” She tried to object but Dixie hushed her with a finger.

“Eat.” She repeated. Kiri was surprised by this. Dixie was rarely this forceful with her sister. She must have had a rough day. Dora reluctantly grabbed a handful of grapes and quietly popped them into her mouth.

For a while everything was peaceful and pleasant. Kiri looked around everyone was eating and laughing and just enjoying the meal even Lillian had started on some shellfish. Kiri sighed relishing the moment. For the first time in a long time it felt like family. Unfortunately she knew it wouldn’t last. She could already hear the footsteps. It started out small and imperceptible; tiny tremors that tickled her feet. Out the corner of her eye she could see one of the slaves scramble to attention and a wry smile briefly crossed Lillian’s face. Then Dora noticed and straightened a little more causing Dixie to groan audibly. She mumbled something and continued to enjoy her meal.

“It seems you all have forgotten proper Amazonian protocol.” Came a strong commanding voice. The air became tense and the room was quiet. Celina Queen of the amazons had finally come to join them.


Kiri was in awe. Celina was always so strong and powerful it was humbling. Kiri never had a problem with her height but next to Celina she felt so small so meaningless. She took her seat at the head of the table Dora on one side Lillian on the other. She raised a hand and instantly the servant from before came to her side.

“A drink.” She ordered and a once the servant pounced onto the table with surprising agility and fetched a goblet twice her size. “Good girl.” She then scratched the servant girl behind the ears with one large finger and Kiri could swear she heard slight purring.

For moments everyone ate in silence waiting for Celina to speak. The only ones who didn’t seem affected were the humans. Lucinda had completely abandoned her seat and opted to sit on the table itself. She was busying herself with a concoction of different beverages she had gathered and was busy taste testing different mixtures. Ramsey had passed out the weight of the day’s events catching up with him. She grabbed him pressing him to her possessively.

“Quite a marvel that one.” Lucinda said smiling she took a sip of some purple drink. “A fine example of the my empire.” She said this as if making a point. Kiri didn’t know what to think of this woman she was so small yet her confidence and demeanor rivaled that of Celina.

 “Why have you called us here your highness?” Dixie asked trying her best to hide her spite.

“You give me too much credit Storne.” She answered. “It is our beloved Dora who organized this little get together.”

Kiri tensed up gripping Ramsey to her even tighter. She knew what was coming next. Her sister turned to face her, the deep blue of her eyes meeting her own. One look was all it took for KIri to feel like a little girl again.

“I want you to drop out of the games.” She said.

“No.” Kiri answered flatly.

Dora took a deep breath. “You’re going to die Kiri. Don’t you see that?”

“I’m stronger than you realize.” Kiri said defiantly she could feel her temperature rising.

“No you’re not!” she shot back. “You’re young, and naïve and no human is going to change that.”

“Ramsey is different!” she defended. “We will win this and you will no longer be able to keep the truth from me!” Kiri’s eyes were starting to glow and the marks began to show on her skin. Everyone looked surprised except Dora and who shook her head in disappointment.

“There is so much you don’t know.” She said.

“I know that you won’t tell me what happened to mom! I know that you think it’s for my own good! I know that I’m going to win these games. I know you can’t stop me!” Kiri was really heated now. Literally; her eyes were shining and her skin was glowing brightly. Suddenly she felt a hand on her shoulder and looked up to see Lillian.

“Kiri you must calm down.” She said evenly. She pointed to Ramsey in her grasp he was cold and his skin was pale. She froze looking at his frail form. Kiri took some deep breaths trying to settle herself and slowly color returned to his skin. What had she done to him?

“She’s right you know.” Celina spoke up. “She is of age. As an amazon she has a goddess given right to join the games.” She smiled wickedly clearly hiding something.

“I’m aware of that.” Dora replied. She stared at Kiri calmly. “You are sure I cannot convince you to drop out?”

“I’m sure.” Kiri replied.

                Dora sighed. “Then you give me no choice.” She turned to face Queen Celina.

                “Your highness?” she bowed in respect.

                “Yes.” Celina said coyly relishing the moment.

                “As you sworn servant and guardian of the Emerald forest I humbly request.” She paused. Kiri was confused she turned to Dixie and saw that her face had turned dark.

                “Go on.” Celina commanded.

                “I humbly request you release me from my service so that I might compete in the games.”

                “Of course Dora as an amazon it is your goddess given right.” Celina ended the statement with an evil chuckle.

                “You can’t be serious!” Kiri uttered suddenly full of worry. “Entering these games by yourself is suicide.”

                “It has been done before.” Celina interjected.

                “Besides she won’t be alone.” Dixie said quietly. “I will be her partner.”

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

This was another tough chapter to write. I'm trying hard to make the characters seem real and keep to thier personalities. Also dialogue is not my strenght. Please give me your feedback.....please.