- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

What another chapter already? Oh My GOD!

Trials Chapter 14: Soul of Fire

                “You can’t take someone’s soul!” he yelled adamantly. “I’m not even sure they exist.” He looked at both women desperately.

                Lillian shook her head. “Ramsey you’ve always had a rather narrow view of the world.” She motioned for Kiri and the amazon stood in front of him. She looked at Lillian and she nodded in confirmation.

                Suddenly Ramsey’s mark started burning. Really burning; this had happened before but not like this. It burned worse than the night he was branded. He looked down it was glowing red hot. Kiri then placed her hand right onto his chest and the burning increased tenfold. It felt like his skin was on fire. He tried to scream but he couldn’t. His whole body was paralyzed. Then came the pressure.

                Suddenly his chest was trapped in a vice. The heat was coupled by pressure that felt like being sat on by a bull elephant. Kiri’s hand started to glow as bright as the mark on his chest. It disappeared into his body and he could feel her hand reaching inside of him. The burning only increased. He could only think about the pain screaming for an eternity in his mind.

                Kiri took his head with her other hand forcing him to look at her. Her eyes were glowing in a fierce yellow brighter than the sun. It hurt to look at her but he couldn’t look away. There was light coming from her back. Ramsey could see familiar marks glowing on her skin. The marks she had painted on her his branding night. Her hand went even deeper burning his very soul then it hit him. The burning was never coming from his chest but his soul. He fought as desperately as he could with all his will he managed to lift his left arm and grip her wrist. He could see the heat emanating from it burning her flesh but she didn’t even flinch.

                “Stop PLEASE!” he moaned. And he felt her hand grip something. Then she pulled yanking something from within him. He felt her pull and his instinct was to resist. He pulled back with all his might but she was too strong. He felt something loose than be snatched away and all at once his body chilled. The intense fire that burned through his body all at once was snuffed out. At first the cold was a relief but soon it was too much. He skin went white and he started shivering. He could even see his breath. Then he realized his heart was slowing down. No it actually stopped. He was getting tired. He needed to rest. He closed his eyes. He would sort this out in the morning. Right now he would just rest.

                Suddenly he was pushed backwards into the water. It was warm against his skin and he could feel some energy returning. He swam up to the surface. As he rose he saw something glowing in Kiri’s hand she was holding it like her most prized possession.

                “Is that my?” they both nodded in confirmation. She was holding his soul.

                “Give it back!” he demanded rising from the water.

                “Don’t you dare leave that water Ramsey Lench!” his teacher ordered. Ramsey could feel the heat leaving his body before he even took his first step. He reluctantly fell backward into its warm embrace.

                “This is the most important part child.” She said to Kiri. “You must take care.” Kiri nodded and mouthed something to Ramsey but he couldn’t hear it. Suddenly the orb of light took shape. It started sprouting arms and legs in a simple human shape. Then it took more detail. Hair, eyes, musculature started taking form. When it was finished Ramsey recognized it as a smaller version of him standing in her hand glowing like a tiny ember. It turned toward him reaching out pleading to reunite within him. Kiri stroked its head with her finger. Ramsey could feel her warm touch on his body. It turned toward her and she smiled down at it warmly. She whispered something to it and it turned to Ramsey confused.

                “Come back to me. Please!” Ramsey whispered to it. It reached out for him again but Kiri stopped it. It turned and shot back a small ball of fire that singe the corner of her eye. It hopped down from its perch and ran back towards Ramsey. Kiri stood there for a moment shocked and confused.

                “Go get it child!” Lillian ordered. “This is your only chance or you’ll lose both of them.” Kiri chased after it. For such a small thing it was remarkably fast as it crossed the tiled floor towards Ramsey. This didn’t stop Kiri who was on its heels the entire time. Ramsey chanced reaching a hand out of the water. It froze almost instantly as it left the water becoming stiff and rigid. He almost pulled it back in but as his soul drew closer he could feel his arm warming the fire returning to him. When the soul got close enough it jumped into the air and Ramsey readied him-self for its return, then in an instant Kiri caught the soul in midair wrapping her finger around it like a cage. She looked down on it with a condescending and predatory stare. It was a look Ramsey had never seen on her before. It was like a cat had cornered a mouse.

                To his pride his soul still fought, shooting fire in all directions trying desperately to gain freedom. She looked at it scornfully like a mother scolding a child. She whispered something else to it and it trembled in her grasp. It looked back at Ramsey defeat on its face.

                “Don’t do it.” Ramsey spoke more too him-self. In the back of his mind he knew it was inevitable. It bowed to her and she giggled excitedly. She stroked it again and Ramsey could feel the warmth of her embrace once more. Then she raised it to her mouth and swallowed it whole.

                Suddenly she was cloaked in flames the fire of his soul burning with hers. She smiled and her body shined in the ethereal flame. It started to fade no longer a wild fire but a controlled flame. The room grew dark and all the other torches went out. Even the water was beginning to chill. She was the only source of heat in the room. Ramsey knew what he had to do.

                He took a step out of the water and his body froze once again. He started trembling and his teeth began to shatter. He wanted desperately to return to the water but he took another step. Ice started to form on his extremities and his breathing slowed. His body was numbing he could feel his life slipping away and still he continued toward Kiri. The amazon was beautiful cloaked in her fire or was it his? It didn’t really matter anymore. When he finally got to her he felt nothing, not the cold not the fire only emptiness. He was hollow.

                “K-Kerla S-Si” he managed then he collapsed into her arms.

                “Kerla SI” she answered. Then she kissed him.


                Ramsey woke in darkness. The room was empty except for a small fire burning in the corner. He was surrounded by warmth and he could feel someone’s embrace. It was Kiri. He was hugged tight against her chest sitting in her lap. She was sitting on the floor legs crossed. They were both still naked.

                “I think we should talk.” She said calmly.

                “Talk!” he yelled. “That’s all I’ve ever wanted to do!” he struggled and squirmed in her grasp. “You’ve only seen fit to reply in a language I don’t understand.” She slapped him the sting bracing on his face.

                “The first thing you should know is I will not tolerate any of your back talk. Not right now.” She hugged him closer rubbing his cheek with the same hand that just slapped him. “The second thing is I’m sorry.”

                Ramsey sat there for a moment in the quiet darkness.

                “I’m sorry for everything Ramsey. If there were any other way I would have taken it.” She sounded sad like she was holding back tears. “You were my only option.”

                Ramsey continued to sit there taking in her words.

                “I can never give you back what I’ve taken. You will never be truly free again.” She paused for a moment gathering her thoughts. “But I promise this isn’t for nothing I promise when this is over I will let you go if you choose.”

                Ramsey finally spoke up. “Why did you do this to me? What is all this for?”

                Kiri took a deep breath. “I didn’t know the binding would do this. I thought it was just a ritual for the games. Now I see why my sister tried to stop me.”

                “What’s so special about these “games”?” Ramsey asked.

                “Whoever wins the games is allowed one wish from the queen.” She stated. “I need to win these games.”

                “What are you going to wish for?” he asked curious.

                Kiri choked back a tear. “I want to know what happened to my mother.” She whispered.

                “What happened?”

                “She disappeared when I was just a child.” She was close to sobbing. “I was too young to remember what happened but I know the village was under attack for some reason.”

                “Surely someone can tell you what happened.”

                “Most of us were wiped out back then. Those who survived don’t talk about it. My sister was old enough to remember but she’s sworn to secrecy by the queen.” She continued. “If I win the games and ask Celina directly law dictates her to comply.”

                Ramsey clutched Kiri’s arm it was tense with muscle. She tightened her grasp on him and he could feel a familiar burning.

                “Why do you need me?” he asked. “You seem plenty strong already.”

                “You remember the exhibition right?” she said. “The stone giant, the elf, that’s only the beginning and with Celina in charge.” She trailed off. “I needed a partner to compete.”

                “But why me?” he pleaded.

                “You are special Ramsey.” She said looking in his eyes. “There’s a fire in your soul I sensed it when you first entered the forest.” His chest started burning more intensely.

                “It’s what attracted me to you; it’s what attracted Lily to you.” Ramsey’s eyes grew wide. “What you did in the arena with that stone giant. People don’t just survive that unscathed.”

                “That was because of Dawn’s magic.” He stated denying the notion.

                “It was because of you Ramsey. Her magic only strengthened what was already there.”

                “I don’t believe you.”

                “It no longer matters what you believe.” She chuckled wiping tears from her eyes. “I own you now, which brings me to number three.” She stood up still holding Ramsey. She walked over to the fire and placed him next to a pile of clothes. It was his badge and uniform. “I am your god now Ramsey Lench you have loyalty to no one but me.” She kicked his clothes into the fire.

                “I will not tolerate you bending your knee to anyone not even your Queen.” She went to kick his badge into the fire when he reached out and grabbed her leg.

                “No. PLEASE!” he begged. “That badge is important to me.” He picked up the badge with the bronze sparrow.

                “More important than me?” Kiri fumed.

                Ramsey didn’t have any words he just stared at her a mixture of defiance and fear.

                “Fine.” She relented. “But this is no longer a symbol of your service to the military but one of your loyalties to me.” She grabbed a pile of clothes from the corner and tossed them to him. “I am your goddess Ramsey.” She walked over and embraced him once again. “And my first order is for you to get dressed. We’re late for dinner."

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Here's another chapter for my many readers. By many I mean like five or something I don't know. I was originally going to stop at the kiss but some people had requested I try longer chapters and here is the result. I don't know if it has the same punch I try to end all my chapters on something exciting so let me know how you what you think. Also I'm not sure if it was clear that Ellie from the two chapters ago was the woman Doratea found in her chapter.....anyway I'm rambling like usual so please just comment and I'll try to respond there.......In retrospect this chapter probably still isn't that long..:[