- Text Size +
Story Notes:
I decided out Dyllan & Kelly on the back burner for a while. I intend to come back to it though.
"Good afternoon everyone, my name is Tina Richards. I'm standing outside U.S.M.R.C, or the United States Medical Research Company, the largest and most well known medical research corporation in North America. Today, this secretive company,located in the middle of nowhere in the American midwest,has agreed to let us inside their facility, to film our documentary on the advances in medical technology." Tina said into the microphone.
The red light on the camera in front of her went out, and Scott, her cameraman packed up his equipment. Tina and Scott were both freshmen in college, they had known each other since middle school. Tina had black hair that fell down to her shoulders. She was of average height, with flawless tan skin. Her figure was perfectly formed, curvy, but not overly so. She was wearing a denim jacket over a light green tee shirt, and a navy blue skirt. Scott was around the same height, well muscled, with spiky blonde hair. He had a collared orange shirt on, and dark blue jeans. The two of them walked into the tall building. Inside the lobby, several small groups of college aged kids milled around. Tina and Scott walked up to the receptionist. "Hello, you must be the two filming the documentary. Your guide will be along shortly." She said to Tina. One of the doors opened, and an attractive young woman, about twenty-five or so walked in. She wore a low cut white button down shirt, and Khaki pants her brunette hair was pulled back in a ponytail. She walked over to the pair, and introduced herself. "Hi, my name is Melanie, I am going to be your guide as we take a look at some of the research we at USMRC perform to keep one of nature's greatest accomplishments, the human body, running smoothly." She said with a smile.
"How much of the tour are we allowed to film?" Scott asked.
"If it is on the tour, it can be on camera. Now, did you sign the forms?" Melanie asked. "Yes, we did. Why was there a liability waiver? Are some of the research projects dangerous?" Tina wondered.
Melanie hesitated briefly."No, but we just need to cover all our bases." She led them down a hallway marked 'neurological sciences'. She seemed very perky, but something felt odd about how Melanie had paused before replying toTina's question.They walked past several windows looking into laboratories, where scientists were drawing complicated diagrams on whiteboards. Tina tried to pay attention, but she had never found neuroscience to be very exciting. Scott kept filming everything in sight, as well as asking questions. They came to an elevator, and Melanie led them inside. "What branch of the facility do you want to see next?" Melanie asked, gesturing to the buttons inside. They read;
Levels -1 through -5, musculoskeletal sector
Levels -6 through -10gastrointestinal and nutrition sector
Levels -11 through -15, skin and immune sector
Levels -16 through -20, fertility and reproduction sector
Levels -20through -50 specialty/ staff only
"Let's just work our way down." Tina said, trying not to seem too excited about the gastrointestinal and nutrition levels. She was usually good at hiding the fact that she was a voraphile, and the mere mention of anything pertaining to the human digestive system made her have to concentrate on anything but. Melanie pushed the button, and the elevator doors closed. As they descended, Tina briefly wondered what the staff only levels were for. The elevator chimed, and the doors opened. Melanie led them out into a hallway similar to the one from before. She stopped at each window, pausing to allow Scott to film some of the experiment, and Melanie explaining the basics of the test. Once in a while, Tina asked her a question or two about that particular experiment, but for the most part she marveled at the ingenuity of the scientists. They made their way around several corners, and back to the elevator. They descended further into the underground facility, to the next sector. "Melanie, what about the other four levels?" Tina asked confused. "They aren't part if the tour, unfortunately. Although... I'll have to ask about that..." She said.
"Ask about what?" Scott wondered.
"I'll tell you after the tour." Melanie said. They walked out of the elevator once it opened. To Tina's disappointment, the floor they saw was primarily devoted to genetically altered or enhanced food, instead of focusing on the digestive system itself.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------ The rest of the tour passed quickly, and it was over too soon for Tina's liking. Melanie brought them up to the lobby, and asked them to stay for a little bit longer. She disappeared into one of the offices for several minutes, and when she came back out, she was grinning from ear to ear. "You two will never believe this." She said. Tina was confused, until Melanie continued. "I was able to get the two of you approved for employment! You would be overseeing the public relations department, which handles all the ads, commercials and interviews for the entire company. Granted, the choice is yours, and I can't force you to do anything, but trust me, it would be worth it." She said. Tina and Scott looked at one another, and agreed. "Sounds great! Where do we sign, and when do we start?" Tina exclaimed. Melanie smiled, and led them to her office, where two packets of paper sat on a table. She helped them complete them, and when they were finished, Melanie printed out two temporary ID badges, and a sheet detailing when and where they needed to go on their first day. "You start tomorrow, at 9. The parking lot is around back, show your ID's to the guard, and he will let you in. I'll meet you inside, and show you around, get you aquatinted with the facility." She said. Tina and Scott thanked her for everything, and left. Tina was excited, she might be able to find something more interesting than pears fortified with twice as many nutrients on levels 6-10. She was on autopilot for the rest of the day, as she helped Scott edit the footage. She went to bed around ten, ready for the next day's events.
Chapter End Notes:
You can probably guess where this is going.
I hope everyone out there likes it!