- Text Size +

Chapter 11

Jessica was in the white area again. The place she had dreamt of so many times.

"Noooo...",  she whined. Had it all been a dream? Would she wake up after a few moments and still be tiny Jessica, the molecule? It had been so exciting, being a giantess that destroyed almost everything. And now, it wasn't real.

Jessica cursed. She nearly broke into tears. It had been too good to be true! She, a giantess so vast, she had been able to destroy the entire planet. But she had probably been lying in bed all the time, while the world outside was just going on with its daily business.

Jessica walked, frustrated and sad, and soon she saw the familiar golden desk with the seven people around it. But something was different now. The man in the middle, the one with the white beard, stood up as she approached.

"Welcome, Jessica, new goddess! It is time, finally! We welcome you among our midst! You will be a goddess from now on! And the human people, when civilization starts anew, shall worship you!" He smiled, as did the other six. The bird-man too, as far as it could smile with its beak.

"Who are you?" Jessica asked, puzzled. Welcome her among their midst? A goddess? What the hell???

"I am Zeus," the man replied. "The main god of the Greeks. This (he pointed at the bird-man) is Horus, a god of ancient Egypt."

The Asian woman was introduced as Amaterasu, sun goddess of the Japanese. The Asian man was the Jade Emperor of China.

"And this," Zeus went on pointing at the man with the eye patch, "is Odin, main god of the German tribes. The six armed man is the god Vishnu," Zeus went on, "and this is Quetzalquotl of the Aztec people," he said, pointing to the man with the green feathers.

"What is this?", Jessica asked, totally baffled.

Zeus smiled. "Let me explain. We, that is Odin and me, are from an alien planet. We refer to ourselves as the "Ancients". We are an old race, evolved on a world long before yours even cooled off." Zeus smiled and went on:

"We spread our DNA with meteors over all kinds of planets like our own. Life evolved, but we steered it so it would look like us. On your world it went wrong, instead of humans dinosaurs evolved. So we had to send another meteor to make them extinct, 65 millions of your years ago."

Jessica's eyes widened.

"Odin and me are "true" Ancients or "gods" as you call us, but the others origin from Earth, just like you. They ascended into godhood, like you have now."

"Every six thousand years," Zeus continued, "we choose someone from the humans to become a new god or goddess. This time, it is you, because you wanted to be gigantic and are capable of wrecking destruction on Earth. And why?" Zeus smiled again at Jessica, who stood there, dumbstruck.

"It is all a test for mankind. you need to become transcendent beings within six millennia. Beings of high moral standards and selflessness. If you humans fail, the civilizations are being wiped out, their remains buried under countless tons of rocks, leaving nothing but faint memories for those few that survive. Memories will become myths as time goes on. You, Jessica, will be worshipped by the new civilizations that shall emerge. They'll worship you as a goddess, built temples as statues for you, pray to you. Just as you humans did and do to us."

The other six gods nodded. Zeus paused a moment and went on:

"If mankind succeeds next time, they are allowed to live. Only when they have finally archived the next step in their evolutionary ladder, they are to ascend into godhood and live eternal lives of joy with my people. They can join us, oversee other planets as Odin and I have been appointed to oversee Earth, until there is peace and harmony in the entire Galaxy. That is our aim. Your people have to start anew again and again if they do not reach the state of transcendence in their given time. Sometimes, they had almost reached it, sometimes not at all."

Zeus pointed at Horus and Vishnu. "The results of achievements past," he said. "Genetic experimentation, crossbreeding... you got the idea. But true power lies in the depths of the mind."

Jessica had listened with astonishment. So, she was a goddess now? I was hard to believe at first. But then it slowly dawned on her she hadn't been hungry, nor feeling the need to visit the toilet. And she had been invulnerable, and she had been able to do things that were physically impossible for a being that vast. Jessica realized that now. The re-occurring dream, the dirty snowball, it had all been planned.

And mankind was just being tested? It made her feel light-headed. But everything made perfect sense to her. Still a bit groggy from all this information, she slowly realized she was to live forever, sitting for millennia next to Vishnu (Zeus pointed at a seat that seemed to appear out of thin air next to the deity), a god whom she had only vague knowledge of.

"So..." , Zeus said, clapping his hands, "let us look anew what the humans will do now. We are only allowed to appear a few times briefly in the new start of a cycle, so they will remember us and honor us, for a good start. I wonder if they make you a lesser deity again, Horus... and you Jessica, you want to take the tribes in North America as their main goddess?"

Jessica nodded, not knowing what she was supposed to do. But somehow, the thought was nice.

She, a goddess.

Goddess Jessica.

THE END