- Text Size +
'The Decrement of Tom'






By: wildcatman






Chapter 1






*Tom's life as a Constuction worker will never be the same again.

After, meeting a woman named Sara...











Tom, a single 38 year old man, worked everyday, as a masonairy carpenter.

He made fairly good money. However, he had to go where the work-site was and sometimes that meant being away from home for weeks at a time.

While on this particular job he ate breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner, at the same place.

The 'The Dixon Diner'.

The diner was just out on the edge of town. He had to pass-by there everyday. The motel, were he rented a single room, was about a quarter-mile away, so it only made sense for him to stop there, anyway....right?

'If he could have never met- 'her', maybe,... however, once Sara saw him she wanted him'...


***

Tom had always sat in the same booth seat everyday.

Sara would always smile, and swiftly shuffle over and take his order. She had the cutest smile, and she was very beautiful as well.

Tom looked forward to seeing her, and he always teased her about how she could be, 'the', 'America's-next-top-model'. She would blush, and tell him to 'Stop-It', in that bashful-shy-kinda-way, that made her even more attractive.

She had a Raven-haired mane, that was very long. She always kept it in a perfect ponytail. Her eyes were greenish-blue, like the Ocean...

She was very athletic, and wore that apron like a skirt, she folded the top-panel down, and tucked it under, and tied it around her waist...

Sara's smooth well-toned legs, were long and lean, and she could move around that Diner, so smoothly. Although, somehow, she never seemed to be rushed or running behind.

Sara's smile melted Toms 'hardened'-heart.

He had been with three other women in his short life and they would always cheat on him, while he was away working.

Tom would just 'Know-it', when it happened, he could read it in their eyes...

Tom had a built-in 'Lie-detector', like his mother, Tom had an intuitive spirt that had protected him on most occassions...

The Indian blood, that circulated within his veins contained spirts, that comunicated within him...

Tom could spot a lier a mile away. Tom would usually, if he wanted, leave any Poker table, with the entire Pot!

However, he hardly had time to gamble because, he was always working. The constuction site on this particuler job was a 4-story block building. The ground level was a swimming pool.

This project would be very detailed and time consuming. Tom concidered it at least a month-and-a-half, and was prepaired to stay even longer if need be.

When he first arrived, the layout and the materials were delivered for the foundation.

Tom put in a 14 hour day on the job, and on his drive back to the motel he stopped to eat at the Diner and talk to Sara...

He was enthralled with her at first, and he was looking for anything that might send him a signal, that she might be interested in him as well...

She was very friendly and even sent him back to the Motel, with a extra-bag of burgers and fries.


*****


Sara had a boyfriend. But, he was just using her, and was cheating on her, with one of her best friends!

***

About a week later, while Tom had just finished another 14 hour day.

He stopped in at the diner for something to eat, and to let his eyes absorb the sight of Sara's beauty.....


***


They sat at the bar-stools and rubbed it in on her. Sara stayed cool and even waited on the two of them, as they laughed at her, and flaunted it in her face.

Sara knew that it was over when her idiot ex-boyfriend brought 'her', into the Diner with him!

The booth-seat that Tom was in, was directly behind them and Tom had a preminition, as to what was happening, when Sara's warm smile just, 'dissappeared'.

Tom was completely exhusted from working all day, but he hung around to see how Sara would deal with the situation.

He also realized, that Sara was now Single...

Tom watched the studly-jerk scratch his balls, and twist in his stool, as he glanced all around the Diner...

Tom gave him his blank-stare, and caught the goofy-punk off guard. The jerk, starred back at Tom with a glare in his eyes...

Tom didn't flinch. The stare-down lasted about 5 minutes and when the punk looked away, Tom stood-up and went into the restroom.

The punk, waited untill the restroom door closed, and he walked over to Tom's table and shoved everything off into the middle of the floor!

When Tom returned from the bathroom, he saw the food scattered all over the floor.

Tom stepped over to the bar, asked Sara for her broom, just behind the counter, she handed it to him and he started sweeping up the mess.

The punk started laughing, and said,

"Look, the LOSER, spilled his shit all over the place, man!"

Tom kept on sweeping, and glanced over at Sara....

Sara's face was blushed with embarassment, and guilt...

"What a fuckin loser, GOD!", the punk continued...

"This goof-ball, can't even sweep straight!", The punk said, as he got up and walked over to Tom...

"You Got a problem loser?", the punk whispered threw gritted-teeth.

Tom stopped sweeping, and slowly raised his bloodshot eyes up to meet him, and said,
"You want some of this, punk?"

Without saying another word, the punk slamed the door-open with a double handed shove and jumped down off of the entry-way, and started throwing punchs into the air....

Sara tried to stop Tom from going outside, but he wasn't hearing any of it, and even though the punk outweighted him by a good 80 lbs , Tom reasurred Sara that it was O.K....

Tom walked out, still holding the wooden-handled broom, and just stood there and watched the punk, jump around, shuffling his feet in the peagravel...

For Tom it was as if the punk was moving in slow motion, as he swung his punchs, and shuffled all around him in a wide circle....

When the punk decided to make his move, Tom side-stepped his advance, and caught him in the back of the head with the broom-handle...

The punk went down on his face, and bit-the-dirt, with a face plant, that made a hollow thump!

Sara ran out into the parking area and took the broom away from Tom, and walked back over to the punk, and poked him with it a few times...

The punks girlfriend, 'Sandy', started screaming at Tom, and said that she was going to call the sheriff...

Tom got into his pick-up, and waited for the cops...

About an hour later, they arrived and took a report from the hysterical Sandy.

Tom was later arrested for assult and battery. Bruce,(the Punk), was taken by ambulance to the county hospital....

They took Tom to jail and locked him inside a cell with two mexicans.

After spending most of the night, staring at these 'two'-throat-cutters, Sara arrived, and bailed him out.

They left the jail, and she took Tom back to her house, a small duplex-home on a side-road just off the main highway.

Tom was so tired, that he fell asleep on Sara's couch within just a few minutes.

He was awakened by the smiling face of Sara's kid sister Hailey...

"Are you gonna watch cartoons with me?", the young girl asked him.

Tom raised up, and looked for a clock, and there by the wall was a old grandfather clock, and Tom could see that he had over slept very late into the day!

He started to get up, and his head started swimming.....

"Aren't cha gonna stay an watch cartoons?", the little girl pleaded...

"Where's you're bathroom?, Tom asked the girl. She grabbed his hand and lead him down the hallway to the bathroom.

"It's right THERE!, the girl pointed out proudly...

"Thank-you, Ms.????, Tom paused, and waited for the little lady to tell him her name.

"Hailey, It's Ms. HAILEY!", the girl said.

"Well, thank-you Ms.Hailey, and it's very nice to meet you, My name is Tom", Tom replied, in a valent-kind-of-way....

"Nice to meet you Too, Mr.Tom!", Hailey whispered, and ran back to the living room to watch cartoons.

Tom looked into the mirror and his reflextion seemed strange, he felt a sinking feeling in his gut....

The way that his cheeks had sunken, and his eyes recessed into the sockets, he felt as though he was losing weight.....

"must be the heat, an-the long hours...', Tom mummbled, under his breath.

Just then he heard Sara return, and her voice rang-out from the doorway...

"Tom?,...Tom, are you up yet?,...I needed ta', get some milk, an stuff, so I could make us some dinner...", she spoke as she entered, and carried some paper bags into the house.

Tom was washing his face, and he heard her calling out to him.....

"Yeah, umm, just useing your washroom, be out in a minute.....


******************


Sara, had been very busy the previous night. Before, she had bailed-out Tom from the jail, she had found out that her ex-boyfriend, Bruce(The Punk), had suffered a stroke, and his condition wasn't at all very good...

His Parents owned the the bank, and the biggest wholesale lumber business in half the state!

Bruce's Dad, wasn't happy, and was looking to 'get' the bastard, who had nearly killed his son!

Sara knew that Tom was in deep! She also knew that this 'Rich Family lawyer', Who, was Bruce's uncle, would stop at nothing to see Tom hang inside a jail cell!

****

Sara's grandmother was a 'medicine-woman', and Sara went to her for help.

The old woman knew that the chance of Sara's friend,'Tom', getting any kind of a fair trial, was a snow-balls chance in hell!

The Old woman scratched her grey hair and rubbed her eyes, and she asked Sara this question,....

"Do you wish to protect your friend?" as the old woman held out a rolled-up brown paper, with a peice of twine wrapped around it...

"Yes, grandmother, I-DO!", she looked at the paper and questioned it's purpose...

"Take this powder to your friend, and pour it over his head, then kiss him...", the elder woman whispered.

"He will be able to hide anywhere, and you will be able to help him get-away.."

"Just give it time to work, and keep a close eye on him untill it doe's, he will need your help...", she smiled at her grand-daughter as she let her take the small packet...

Sara took the powder, and every last penny that she could scrape-up, and drove to the jail in Tom's truck to bail him out.

The whole process, took about four-hours, and nearly 'all' of Sara's money...

She stopped and let Tom clean-out his motel room, and while driving his truck, she took him back to her house.

Tom fell asleep on the couch, almost instantly, and Sara stood over him with the powder...

She had exsplained everything to him about Bruce, and the trouble that he was in, but she didn't tell him about the 'Powder'......

****************


Sara brushed his hair back and poured the white powder over his head. The moment that the powder hit his head Sara kissed him on the mouth with a slow, long, lingering, kiss....

The sensation of an electric tingling-like, static-like, sensation was felt, as she held her lips to his...

The old-ancestory had many secrets, and Sara's grandmother had all of those recipes.

Sara wasn't completly sure just "how", the powder would work, but she knew that if she didn't help him, that the courts would throw the book at him, and she would never see him again....

***


Tom was 6 feet tall and weighed about 180 lbs, when he had last checked, and the strange effect of the powder was just so incredable....

As he walked back into the living room where Hailey and Sara were, he felt a numbness spread across his entire body. The surface of his skin was tingling and loosening around his waist.

The shoes that he wore, were enlarging, and the old dirty ball-cap that he always wore, fell down over his brow when he placed it on his head...

He felt so strange, as he sat at the table with the two young ladies. Sara kept smiling at him and watching him closly, as she prepaired the macaroni an cheese...

Hailey's bright-eye's locked-on to him with a curious fastination. The way that Sara kept glancing over at him sent a signal to him that, 'something' was definatly happening to him!







*****************