- Text Size +

Joy continued to listen to the giantess talking to each other.  Joy curled up into a ball surrounded by a silken fabric.  She heard the name of the giantess, Amber.  She also heard Amber lie about her, but why?  Maybe she wants to keep her all to herself.  Joy let out a depressed sigh as she thought of what was in store for her: a midnight snack, Amber’s personal play thing until she breaks, or maybe something worse…

Joy felt herself start to rock back and forth slowly.  Amber was walking away from the kitchen.  After a while she heard the groaning of a door open, then close.  She was now in Amber’s room.  Next thing she knew a warm mass started to scoop her up out of her prison.  Joy thought of fighting but knew it was pointless.  One good squeeze and she would be nothing but a bloody pulp in the palm of her hand.  No, Joy would wait for the right moment to try and escape.

 

Amber said goodnight to her mother, thanking the stars that her mother didn’t see her with the tiny.  Who knows what would have happened.  Walking away from the kitchen Amber headed to her room to get some sleep.  She had to stay up until the castle was asleep to find this tiny creature.  She had her suspensions of one being in the castle.  A couple of days ago when she went to eat some beard and cheese she noticed that her cheese had small grooves.  Knowing that it couldn’t be a mouse she knew it had to be a tiny. 

Waiting until the cover of night to go in search for the tiny before it got caught by the guards, she made her way to the kitchen to see if she can find it.  Luck was on her side as she found the tiny eating some bread.  Almost too shocked to move, Amber just stood there in disbelief.  She never saw a tiny this close before.

Amber had always been stuck in the castle, never allowed to leave in fear of something bad happening to the king’s daughter.    That didn’t mean she hasn’t heard about them.  She once saw a guard have one in his hand, but he quickly put it in his pocket.  Amber never said a word in fear of getting the guard in trouble, but she was curious about them.

That night Amber asked her parents about the tinies.  Her father replied, “They are nothing more than a resource of the land that we use; the same with the chicken on the table, or the bread.  The only difference is their appearance.”

Her father answered her question but it unlocked so many more, like where did they come from or why are they so small.  She just had to find out.  Of course she never saw any in the castle and she was too scared to ask a servant to go and buy one for her.  She didn’t know if a servant could or couldn’t buy one either.  Years later she then noticed that there might be a tiny in the castle and that sparked her interest again, leading to her staying up and catching the tiny.

Amber shut her doors and headed over to her bed.  She gently put her hand into her pocket of her night gown and pulled out the little person.  She held her up to the tiny and noticed that she was shivering. 

“Oh are you cold here …” Amber ripped off part of her gown and gave it to the tiny person.  “What’s your name?”

 

Joy sat there in fear of what was going to happen to her when Amber ripped off part of her gown and gave it to her.  Hesitant she picked it up and wrapped herself in it.  If offered no protection to the giantess but she felt slightly safer with an extra layer between each other.  Amber asked her, what her name was.  Deciding on it couldn’t hurt she said, “Joy.”

“…”

Joy realized she whispered it and said it louder, “Joy, my name is Joy.”

“Joy, that’s a wonderful name… um sorry if I scared you.”  Amber said and leaned in closer “Wow, I just can believe how small you are.”

Feeling mocked Joy defiantly said, “I may be small but I’m strong!”

Feeling the hostility Amber apologized, “I’m sorry I didn’t mean to offend you.”

They both sat there not saying a word as time started to slowly drift by.  Joy was finally done waiting and snapped, “Just hurry up and do whatever your about to do!”

Shocked at how rude she was being Amber felt hurt, “Well ok… I thought it would be nice to talk before-”

Sneering at her, “Why would I want to talk to someone like you?”

Amber felt devastated.  She didn’t know what she did to make Joy mad but thought better of asking.  It could just set her off again.  Amber then put Joy down on her night stand next to the candle.  Amber than said goodnight and blew out the candle as she went to bed.

Joy wasn’t sure if the giantess was trying to drawl out the victory of capturing her or truly wanted to talk to her.  It didn’t matter she didn’t want to talk to a monster like her anyway.  She just wanted her to finish her off fast so she would be put out of her misery.  Unfortunately she had other planes because she placed Joy on her nightstand preventing her from leaving and blew out the candle.  Surrounded in darkness, Joy could do nothing but sit there still surrounded by the piece of cloth in darkness.  It looked like she will have to endure this for a short while longer before she could find out what the giantess had in store for her…

 

Amber had a nightmare.  Her family was at the mercy of some invading enemy that was burning down the city.  Amber couldn’t find her family and was running around looking for them.  She found her younger brother… or what was left of him.  Her father was already captured and her mother… well she would have been better off like her brother.  She couldn’t believe anyone could do some like this and turned around to see four shadowy figures approach her when their hands reached out to grab her she woke up screaming.

 

Joy was having a peaceful dream when she was woken up by a dreadful cry.  Joy at first forgot where she was and panicked, then it all slowly settled in as the previous night’s events started to come back to her.  Amber was still in a nervous wreck when there was a knocking on the doors.

“Princess, princess are you all right?  May I come in?”

 

Amber slowly recognized the voice as her servant Mary.  Not wanting to frighten her she replied, “Yes.”  Looking around she then realized that Joy was in plain sight.  Would she get in trouble for having a tiny?  Were there any rules to them?  She never really thought about it.  To be on the safe side, she thought she quickly leaned over and picked up Joy who let out a slight yelp in surprise.

Amber didn’t have time to explain and hopped that Joy understood.  She quickly put Joy between her legs under the sheets as she heard the door open and saw her servant come in. 

“Your majesty are you alright?” 

Before Amber could reply another one of her servants came in, “Your highness, we heard you shouting.  Is everything ok?”

Putting on a smile she Amber said, “Yes, I just had a bad dream that’s all.  You may leave now.”

They both replied, “As you wish, your highness.”  Mary and the other, Loren, bowed and closed the doors as they left.

 

Joy was plunged into darkness before she could protest.  Just as the last of the light was covered up she heard voices.  It then dawned on her that this was her chance she was waiting for.  Turning in a complete 180 she started to head away from where Amber was sitting.  Joy didn’t know where she was heading or what she was going to do when she reached the end of the bed, maybe she could hide.

As Joy headed further into the covers she was forced to lie down and start to crawl away.  Joy heard them call her majesty and princess, causing her to stop.  She was captured by the king’s daughter.  Shuddering to think of what would have become of her if she stayed where she was.  The princess must have killed hundreds of tinies that the royal family owns, just for her sick pleasure.  It disgusted her to think of what she had planned for her. 

Then she heard the servants get dismissed and knew that any moment Amber will be searching for her soon…

 

Amber’s breath began to slow as her nightmare began to fade.  Feeling more relaxed Amber, lifted the blanket up and looked down between her legs to say good morning to Joy only to find that she wasn’t there.  Shocked Amber flipped the covers back even more.  There was no trace of the little person at all.  Amber couldn’t believe it.

“Joy?  Joy where did you go?  Please, I just wanted to talk to you.”

 

Joy barely made it to the edge of the bed and started to use the blanket to climb down when she heard the commotion above.  Not daring to move in case she was spotted, Joy hung onto the blanket as Amber started to look around for her on the bed.  She heard Amber call her but not for a second did she believe what she was saying.  Just wanted to talk to her?  Yeah right, more like eat her, or worse.  Joy planned to stay hidden until the princess left, then try and escape.

“Ok fine, I understand.  I have to go now but I’ll be back with some food for you.”  Amber than left the room but she left a small gap open in her door.  Joy waited until she didn’t hear Amber’s footsteps anymore to come out and escape.  She climbed down the blanket and dropped to the floor to see the door was open.  Joy was about to dash for it and thought better. 

She remembered Tom.  They meet in a tavern looking for some food.  They got some food from a storage room but heard some noises they hide and saw a man come into the room, look around and leave.  Tom wanted to go immediately before he returned, but Joy said they should wait a little longer.  Tom didn’t listen and ran for the door.  The moment he passed the entrance a foot descended on him and smashed him to a pulp.  The owner was waiting outside the door way for them.  She can still hear the laughter of the man as he insulted Tom’s intelligence.

Joy didn’t want to get stepped on, so instead she looked around for another exit.  Sadly there wasn’t one.  She would have to find a way out of the room when the princess let her guard down.

 

Amber finished her breakfast and hid a few pieces of her meal in her pocket for her hungry guest.  After finishing her meal she asked permission to leave.  Heading back to her room she didn’t know if Joy was still there but if she was there Amber didn’t want to have her starve because if her thoughtfulness. 

“Joy?  Are you still here?  I brought some food for you… Joy?”  Amber started to look for Joy but again couldn’t find her.  Giving up Amber put the small amount of food on her night stand as she sat on her clean bed… clean?  Her servants!  They cleaned her room.  “Oh no…” Amber got up and was about to leave when she saw movement in the corner of the room behind a chair.

“Joy?”  Amber asked as she walked toward the movement.

 

Joy didn’t know what to do but decided to face the giantess instead of delay the inevitable.  Joy stepped out from under the chair and faced the giantess.

“Oh thank goodness.  I thought one of my servants found you.  Here, come with me I brought some food for you to eat.”

Joy felt her stomach rumble and decided that if she were to die to at least have some good food beforehand; that is if Amber wasn’t lying about the food to get her to trust her.  Of course Joy didn’t have much of a choice anyway.  She was already found and had nowhere to go.

Stepping on the hand that was stretched out for her, she was lifted up into the air and slowly carried over to the night stand where there was a feast for her to eat.  In fact there was enough food to feed a handful of tinies.  Joy started to eat and noticed that Amber was watching her with curiosity in her eyes.  When Joy finally had her fill she looked at the princess.

Again there was the awkward silence until finally Amber broke it by asking, “Why did you run away earlier?  Did I scare you?”

Joy again feeling like being mocked shouted, “I’m not scared of you!”

“Well that’s good.  I didn’t want to scare you.  So why did you run away?  Do you have a family to get back to?”

Rage build up in her at the mention of her family.  How dare she make fun of her, “Shut up!  I don’t need to answer your questions.  So if you are done toying with me hurry up and decided what my fate shall be!”

Amber never felt shocked at the outburst and confused.  “I…I don’t understand.  Decided your fate?”

Joy rolled her eyes. “Yes!  Are you going to eat me?  Crush me into a bloody stain on your foot?  What are you going to do to me?  Make me into a small toy for you pleasure to use whenever you’re bored?”

Amber was shocked, “What…why…I never would-”

“Don’t lie to me!  I know your kind all too well.  You promise safety only to turn around and go back on your word.  Your kind disgusts me.  My only regret is that I got caught by some snobby, spoiled, self-centered, bitch of a princess like you!”

Amber felt tears rolling down her checks.  “I-I-I”

“Don’t start crying now!” Joy said still mad.  “It’s because of people like you that my parents are gone!”  Joy practice screamed that last part out as she too felt her emotions break and start to cry too. “I have nothing!  I have no family, no friends, and no place to live.”  Joy started to weep.  Never had she wept while she was alone, not until now.  She couldn’t stop it her tears flowed down her face like a river as she continued to sob.

Amber gently picked her up and started to rub her back as she tried to sooth Joy.  “It’s ok…”

“It’s not ok!” she shouted still crying.  “I hate you all!”

“I know no amount of apology could bring them back, but still I’m sorry…”

Joy stopped crying after a while and final gained her composer, “Whatever… you never answered my question.  What are you going to do with me?”

“I… I don’t know.  I thought it would be nice to befriend you.  I would like us to become friends.”

“Ha, why don’t you get someone else to be your friend?”

Amber sighed “It’s hard when everyone just sees you as a tool to get to my father.”  Amber than said, “Well if we can’t be friends, then do you mind answering my questions?”

Joy didn’t know why Amber wanted to ask questions but did it really matter?  “… Fine but then you release me.”

“Of course… I didn’t mean to make it seem like was holding you against your will.  I’m sorry if that’s what it seemed like.  Ok first question… where do you all come from?”

Joy didn’t know if this was a trick question.  Was she looking for more of her people?  Joy didn’t think so, there was something about this girl.  She didn’t seem like the rest of the bigger people she meet.  Deciding on trusting her to some degree she said, “My people use to live in the woods and meadows that used to make up your kingdom; that was before your people came in and built your towns and castles.  Now we live were ever we can find shelter.”

Amber looked shocked, “I… I didn’t know, um… my second question is: why are you all small?”

Joy looked at amber as if that was a stupid question, “Why don’t you tell me why you are so big?”

“Hmmm good question, I don’t know why.”

“My parents told me it was the fate of the world to be the small ones, as is it the fate of a mouse to be a meal for a cat.  It is how the world works.”

“Wow, I guess my last question is more of a personal question when you leave my room, will you leave the castle too?”

“Why do you ask,” Joy asked suspiciously.  

“I, um, well I didn’t want to be the reason you might have to leave.  Also… I wanted to know if I might see you around some more…”

Joy was now perplexed.  Normally Joy would leave because she was discovered, but Joy didn’t know now.

“I might leave.”

“Oh… well thank you for answering my question.”  Amber got of the bed with Joy in her hands.  “Is there anywhere you want me to put you?”

“Wait… I have some questions I want to ask you.”

Amber almost seemed delighted, “Ok.”

“How many tinies have you seen?”

“Well counting you, only 3.  The first one I only got a glimpse at before someone picked him up.  The second one I saw was my brother’s.  He got one for a present a few years ago.  You would be the third.”

Joy was now starting to realize something; the princess has never really met a tiny.  No wonder why she seemed confused when Joy told her to hurry up and decide her fate.  “Wait so you don’t know anything about us?  You’re the princess; you should know everything about us.”

Amber looked slightly ashamed.  “I maybe the princess of Arcken, but that doesn’t mean I know everything.  The only thing I know about tinies is that we sell them to neighboring countries as a resource.  That is about it.”

“So you don’t know what we are used for?”

Amber thought about it for a few seconds and shook her head, “Servants?”

The princess really didn’t know anything about them.  Joy thought about telling the princess about the horrors a tiny can face, but thought better of it.  Last thing she wanted to do was make her cry over her people.

“Yeah something like that… did you tell anyone about me yet?”

Amber shook her head, “No.”

“Why not?”

Amber shrugged, “I don’t know… I guess I felt like I shouldn’t tell anyone about you.  I really didn’t know if I was allowed to have one or not.  Plus I didn’t know if my father would take you away.” 

Joy didn’t say anything as she thought about that Amber’s last answer. 

“So… I guess I should return you to the kitchen…”  Amber got up and started to leave with Joy in her hand when Joy stopped her.

“Wait…”

Amber stopped, “Yes?”

Joy didn’t know what she was doing but she figured if she were to die she rather die here.  At least she would get a good meal until then.  Also she felt like she could trust Amber…

“I… I don’t mind staying, but under one condition.”

“What condition?”  Amber asked with a smile on her face.

“You will leave a piece of string for me to climb down your nightstand.”

“Sure…” Amber said with a smile, “If it makes you feel better then of course.”

 

Amber finished finding some string that was long enough for Joy to climb down with.  It was harder to get one without seeming suspicious.  The day was nearly over and after her meal, which she again saved some food for Joy to eat, she went back to her room.  Before she could make it, her mother stopped her.

“Amber.”

“Yes mother,” Amber said as she stopped to confront her mother.

“Where were you today?”

“I was…”

“You were supposed to pick out a husband today.  Last night I told you, you had a big day today.  Where were you?”

“I was in my room.”  Amber said trying not to look suspicious.  Unfortunately she wasn’t successful.

“Doing what,” her mother asked.

“I... umm-”

Amber’s mother let out a sigh, “Amber… I know you don’t like me and your father picking out your future husband, but you could at least go to the effort of meeting them.”

“I’m sorry mother I didn’t mean to show disrespect toward you or father.”

Amber’s mother gave her a smile, “I know you didn’t.  Just don’t do it again, luckily none of these men seemed worthy of your hand.  In a few weeks I have another arrangement set up for you.  Please don’t disappear or not show up for this one.  He is the prince of Merthadan.  We may not like them but it doesn’t mean we can’t show respect to them.”

“Ok mother.”

“Thank you dear,” Amber’s mother gave her a hug and wished her a good night.

 

Joy was sitting on the night stand with the piece of cloth she had from earlier wrapped around her.  It was just big enough to use as a blanket.  Amber came in and greeted her.  Next she got some food that Amber snuck up stairs for her.  Finally Amber said goodnight as they both got ready for bed.  Amber found a small little pillow that she put on her night stand for Joy to use as a bed.  When they were both ready for bed Amber blew out the candle.  Joy couldn’t sleep as she listen to Amber’s breathing slow down.  After a while Joy finally relaxed and started to drift off to sleep.  The last thing that went through her head was: I hope I’m not making a mistake trusting her…