- Text Size +
Yumi stood slowly, as the drawling voice over the intercom had instructed. It wasn't her first time riding a plane, but she still had little patience for the rituals an airport went through during takeoff and landing. Still, rules and were rules, and she'd rather not be detained for failing to follow orders.

She smiled at the thought. She had quite a few things to hide, and knew that any extra attention drawn to her would be a mistake. Yumi didn't make mistakes though, those were for lesser people. Yumi was perfect in every way imaginable, and she knew that better than anyone.

Following orders, she stepped off the plane slowly, and walked into the enormous airport. Hundreds of people walked around her in every direction, but she paid them no mind. They were beneath her, and the only thing that mattered for now was her luggage.

It didn't take long to retrieve her belongings, and only a minute after, she was approached by a pasty, balding man. He held a sign, written sloppily in Japanese that read, "Welcome to America!"

Yumi knew this was the man she was looking for, and flashed him a warm smile. His face lit up at her gesture, and she quickly regretted it when he opened his mouth in response.

"Koh-neeesheee-Koneesheewas!" The man struggled to say to the young Japanese girl who sighed quietly at his attempt to speak her language. While Yumi spoke English fluently, and didn't need such treatment, she did find his complete failure amusing. It was always good for a spineless man to appease his betters, even at the cost of his own pride.

He bowed awkwardly, and pulled her free hand to his lips, planting a sloppy kiss on the back of it.

Pulling her arm back quickly, it took all of her willpower to not attack the man where he stood. His incessant butchering of her language, and horrid attempts at seducing her were maddening, to put it lightly.

Forcing a smile that came out crookedly across her pretty face, she acknowledged his greeting with a nod.

"I a-speak, English, yes?" Yumi said slowly. While she'd spent the last month or so brushing up on her conversational English, she knew that appearances had to be kept up for the moment.

"Whew, now that's a relief I tell you what." The man began, relaxing. "I spent hours and hours studying this book on conversational Japanese, and boy, is that impossible. You know your language is impenetrable? I'm not sure how ANYONE can speak, or even read it. Why, one time, I rememb-"

"Excuse to me." Yumi interrupted, purposely laying on her accent extra thick. "But should we be a-going, now? Yes?"

"Oh, right!" The man began cheerfully. "Look at me talking like you don't have places to be. Let's get going!" He said walking through the airport.

Yumi's faint smile faded, twisting into a frown once the man's back was turned, and she followed closely behind. While he continued to discuss menial subjects, she took a moment to wipe her still-moist hand on the back of a stranger.

"Filth should remain with filth." She huffed, wiping her hand on the back of a few more strangers until her hand was dry.

The two walked through the airport at a hurried pace, and stepped out into the bright sunlight after only a few minutes. The airport's parking lot stretched for hundreds of meters in every direction, but the annoying man clearly knew exactly where he had parked.

In what was surely record time, the two reached a small, white sedan. A purple shield emblazoned the doors on both sides, with decorated with the silhouette of a snake circling a torch. The annoying man beamed with pride, as he almost reverently opened the doors of the vehicle.

Yumi frowned at the emblem. New York University School of Medicine, a worthless school with a dumb name, in her opinion, but a necessary evil she would have to deal with. She knew full well that someone of her intelligence and drive could be attending a more prestigious school, but getting into such a school would be far simpler if she'd already lived in the United States.

As Yumi sat down on the cold, leather seats, she began to feel a warm, fuzzy feeling course through her veins. She wanted to begin her big plans for the day, but was finding it increasingly difficult to wait. Thoughts muddled, her eyes glazed over muting out the man next to her. In her mind, he was already erased from history, so why pay him any attention?

Snapping out of her stupor for a moment, Yumi opened her suitcase, quickly pulling out a thick medical textbook. Burying her nose in the center of the book, the man took the hint and stopped speaking, afraid to interrupt her studies.

Medicine was the furthest thing from her mind though, as she began to daydream happily. Yumi was more than eager to truly begin her day, and was going over the finer details of her plan from behind the book's cover.

"Welp, we're here E-you-my!" The man announced. "This is the last week of Summer School for many students, so we'll be giving you the tour tomorrow, when the building is less full!"

Yumi cringed, the maiming of her name pulling her out of her daydream. Peering over the edge of the book, she examined her surroundings carefully.

This was not her school's campus, but instead, the dormitories. The campus was closeby though, not much more than a hundred yards away. Sliding the book back over her eyes, she stepped out of the car, picking her suitcase with her free hand, and walked to the great glass doors of the dormitory.

"First things first, you'll get yourself settled down, and spend the night here. First thing tomorrow morning, we'll come get you for that tour. That sound fun?"

Yumi continued to ignore him, keeping her face behind the pages of the textbook. She hadn't turned the page once the entire time, but neither she nor the man were paying enough attention to realize.

A brisk walk brought them to the great lobby, where Yumi took a seat without any provocation, waiting for the key to her dormitory. Being new to the country, the higher-ups had agreed upon letting her have a room all for herself, so she could adjust to her new home more easily.

"Alright, Yo-May! I got your key right here!" The man returned after only a minute, his sniveling, nasally voice getting on Yumi's last nerve.

Making sure to never let go of the book, she held a palm out, until a small metal object was dropped into it. Moving the key between the book and her face, she read the small numbers on the key.

"108." She whispered to herself, quite pleased at her great luck.

Standing, she peered her eyes from over the book, thankful that the lobby was empty, save for an aging woman behind a desk, whose attention was focused on the annoying man who'd brought her here. Her eyes scanned the signs overhead, before settling on one that pointed to the dormitories.

"It is okay if I rook at my room, yes?" She asked from behind her book, keeping up her act of badly speaking the language.

"Yes! Yes! It's fine! I'll just fill out some paperwork and be gone in 10 minutes or so! Hope to see you again out there on campus!" The man said excitedly, extending a hand in Yumi's direction.

Ignoring his offer for a handshake, she bent down to pick up her suitcase, and speedily walked down the empty halls. Several doors were closed, but still had a sign hanging from their handles indicating they were available.. Yumi was grateful that so many rooms on the floor were still empty, a fact that would have been clearly visible had her wide grin not been covered by a large textbook.

"Less people before I begin means less potential people to deal with." She said to herself.

Finally, she reached her dormitory. Tearing off the, "Empty" sign hanging from the doorknob, she opened the door and slid in quietly. Pulling the paper hanging on the door handle off, she opened the door quickly, turning to close and lock the door behind her as she did so.

Now that she was in her room, she breathed a heavy sigh of relief, and threw the textbook she'd carried on her face for nearly an hour onto the bed. Dropping her suitcase, she stretching her arms over her head, she yawned widely, and for a brief instant, was tempted to delay her little adventure a day.