- Text Size +
"Shrinking Under Pressure"

by Sonicfan287

Chapter 5: Girl Talk

It wasn't too far from the Western wing of UCONN's Jacobson dorm building that scattered female giggling could be heard, making its way up the stairs and around the corner.

"Okay, and then what?" Alicia asked, her hair bobbing with each step as she pressed Ashley for more details.

"Oh my god it was no big deal" Ashley sighed, avoiding eye contact with her friend.

"So, does he have a girlfriend?" Alicia finally asked. Ashley scoffed jokingly.

"I don't know, I didn't ask that" Ashley replied, "We were just... y'know talking"

"Uh huh..." Alicia said excitedly "...so I assume you swapped phone numbers"

Ashley only smiled to acknowledge her answer, causing Alicia to squeal with excitement.

"Oh my god." Alicia tsked, "that's awesome! I mean, I was here for a whole year before I met anyone but you've found someone on your first week here! I mean, how lucky is that?"

"Hey, roll it back there, girl" Ashley said, "I never said I agreed to anything... he asked me out sometime but I said I'd..."

"You said what?" Alicia asked, "what'd you say?"

"Let me finish!" Ashley laughed, and they finally got to her dorm room, where she fumbled through her belongings for the keys. On her shoulder hung a large pink bag with floral patterns. The bag was deep but also made it easy to lose things. She moved her hands through a sea of materials ranging from school supplies, to her checkbook and passed over her keys a few times before finally seizing them in her fingers. All during this, Alicia remained pinned to her side with curiousity.

"Well?" Alicia asked.

"Well what?" Ashley asked, appearing uncomfortable. "I don't know... he asked if I wanted to hang out sometime, and I just said I didn't know if I was ready..."

"You didn't know if you were... you didn't know..." Alicia sighed, mockingly throwing her hands up in the air, but still showing real frustration as she paced around briefly, repeating Ashley's words. "What do you mean? You don't have to be ready for nothing... he ain't asking you to jump into bed with him"

"Ha, nor would I" Ashley replied, "But y'know what I mean... I'm just not... ready..."

Alicia sighed, and her smile became a more mournful expression. She gave Ashley a sympathetic gaze and just uttered one word. "Zack?"

Ashley didn't answer, only bit her lower lip and focused her gaze on the floor, a checkerboard white and blue. She cracked the lock to get in by finally turning the key and slid herself into the room.

"Here, you can come in and talk for a bit..." Ashley said, and started to walk in before noticing the room was shrowded in darkness, and only a small flickering provided any sign of life. "Uh... hello?"

"C-C-Can you come back in like... 5 minutes?" Caroline asked.

"5 minutes, what are you...?" Ashley asked, trying to take a quick peek but there wasn't much to see in so much darkness.

"Just come back" Caroline snapped, "I didn't think you'd be home this early..."

Ashley just stood there, unable to respond for a moment, before looking back at Alicia who only shrugged.

"Okay.." Ashley said, almost chuckling at the randomness of it all. She took Alicia with her out the door and closed it behind her.

"Wh-What do you think she's doing in there?" Alicia asked, her voice kept to a hushed whisper.

"I don't know, but I almost don't wanna..." Ashley started but coudln't overcome the inevitable giddiness of her long time pal.

"I kinda want to know..." Alicia chuckled and pressed her ear to the door. "Oh my god!"

Ashley chuckled and said, "What?"

"I... I think she's masturbating in there" Alicia laughed, trying to stifle her mouth.

"Nuh uh!" Ashley chuckled.

"Yeah... I definitely think that's what it is" Alicia commented, "I thought she had a boyfriend?"

"Caroline? No... though she definitely has... friends" Ashley replied, raising her hands into quotes on the word friends.

"Sleeps around?" Alicia asked.

"Pretty much" Ashley replied. "But how do you know she's masturbating?"

"Do you really wanna hear what I'm hearing right now?" Alicia asked in a semi-serious tone. Ashley chuckled and shook her head quickly 'No'.

"Wow" Ashley said, rolling her eyes as they walked far from the dorm room. "Awkward..."

"I know, right?" Alicia said, "Well we've got some time to kill... wanna hit the mall?"

"She said she'd be done in 5 minutes" Ashley said. They both stared at each other for several seconds, before realizing what that meant. They simply continued walking away without further thought. Ashley then muttered, "Yeah, good point."

"That's what I thought" Alicia sighed, "C'mon I'll drive, East Brook mall is right down the road from here ... maybe I can get you in with my friend Cindy"

"The hairdresser?" Ashley frowned, "I don't need my hair done at the moment"

"Psh, okay girlfriend, whatever you say" Alicia joked and began to pick up her speed, knowing that Ashley would get angry at her statement.

"Ugh, what's that supposed to mean?" she asked, her voice briefly raising to a squeakier tone as she jokingly pursued her friend, taking a thick book from her bag and thwacking her friend in the butt.

"Hey!" Alicia laughed, "Not fair!"

"Oh lighten up" Ashley chuckled, throwing her arm around her friend, becoming entangled in Alicia's unruly frizzy hair which spread down her back to almost her waist. While her hand was within reach, Alicia seized the book and slapped Ashley in the ass, provoking an even louder sound. The 2 got quite a few stares as they proceeded towards the main atrium of the student center on their way out but neither of them cared as they took turns chasing one another until they reached the door out of breath.

Alicia sighed and handed Ashley her book back. Ashley took the book and slid it back into her bag. Alicia couldn't help but notice a glimmering pattern from the book.

"What book was that anyway?" Alicia asked, a large smile still plastered on her face.

"Huh? Oh just one of my notebooks, pretty cool, huh?" she asked.

"Yeah, actually, where'd you get it?" Alicia inquired.

"Y'know... at the store" Ashley answered.

The 2 made their way towards Alicia's car, making playful banter as they went.

In a window not too far from them was a science experiment in progress at a neighboring building.

It was 6 pm at the time and Eddy was the only one left in the science lab. Even Professor Castino was packing up and leaving for the day, while Eddy was working on something. Feeling his cell phone vibrate, he slowly raised it to his ear, putting down his work for a moment.

"Yea?" he asked, in a subdued tone.

"Is it ready?" the voice on the other end demanded.

"Almost... I keep telling you, this takes a while to refine, there's a 6 step process..." Eddy sighed, his voice peppered with frustration.

"Right...right...sorry" the voice chuckled, "I just... you know, really need it.. I'd really appreciate it if you could have it to me as soon as possible.. okay?"

"I'll see what I can do..." Eddy sighed, quickly hanging up the phone.