- Text Size +

Sarah knew it was getting late but she didn’t want to give up hope on Mike.  Sadly it has been three days and there hasn’t been any sign of Mike at all except for the footprints and even then she couldn’t have been 100% positive that it was foot prints.  Maybe something did happen to him… no, she couldn’t think that again, not after having high hopes of finding Mike.  Nick came running up to her mom asking if they could go home now.  Not even seconds later Mary came over and said she was also ready to go home, so Sarah and Rose decided it was time to go. 

 

Not wanting to risk even the slightest problem you decided it was best to go and get Dave’s attention.  Hopefully nothing bad will happen on your way over there.  You stayed under the shadows of the chairs and tables as you crossed from each shadow to stay out of view of pedestrian crossing by.  The very last thing you need is some kid to pick you up, or a man or woman to step on you thinking you’re a bug of some kind. 

No sooner did you get to the second table out of the five you had to cross, did a family of three decided to sit between you and Dave.  Great… just great, now I have to get past them… you thought.  The family consisted of parents around their mid 30 close 40’s and their kid who was in her teens, most likely in high school sophomore or junior.  They were starting to eat a sub sandwich while talking of something, you really didn’t care you just need to find a way past them.  You could try going around and try to avoid them but you would lose time, and if you tried to go under the table you fear that they might step on you.   

Well not like you haven’t faced worse, you really didn’t want to waste time so going under the table was the plan.  The dad’s back was to you as he talked to one of the other people at the table.  You ran under his chair, easy.  That’s when you came under the table and saw six feet.  The pair of feet in front of you, you could get past with little effort you just have to go to the right of the table because on your left was a bunch of bags that were placed down there.  There was a pair to your right you didn’t have to worry about either; there was only one problem the pair of feet across the table that stood in-between you and Dave were moving around.  There was a slight rhythm to them but they were bouncing around and you realized why.  The daughter was listening to music, while eating… crap.  Her legs were tapping to some song while she moved them around under the table, like she was a little too hyper. 

Getting past the first pair of feet was easy and you hugged the pole the table was attached too.  Staying close to the center of the table you got past the mothers’ feet easily, now for the daughter’s.  You were about to try and go around the stampede of death when you heard.

“Jillian will you take those out of your ears?”

The daughter’s name must be Jillian because you heard her say, “What?”

“I said will you take those out of your ears, I need to talk to you about your grades.”

“My grades… ummm what about them…”

“You got 2 F’s on your report card.  How could you fail…” as her dad started to talk you saw that her legs stopped.  You were glade about this and decided to hurry just in case she starts to get the jitters and wanted to tap her feet.  Moving as fast as you could you ran on the outside of her feet.  You couldn’t help but glance over to your right and see the size of her sneakers.  They were the size of monster trucks and you had no doubt that if she stepped on you she wouldn’t even notice a thing. 

Almost as if she heard your thoughts her right foot started to move toward you.  With no time to think you dove to your right toward where the shoe used to be just barely escaping her crushing footwear.  You were on your back and were looking up into the sky as you saw a face looking down at you.  You held your breathe not moving hoping that she didn’t see you in her shadow.  She had an annoyed expression on her face as her dad was still lecturer her about grades. 

Neither you nor Jillian moved as you both looked at each other.  Then it happened, “Ugh a bug…” she said with distaste.

That was your cue to get the hell out of there.  You got up off your back and sprinted for under her chair.  No sooner did you move did her left foot start to pull up and get ready to crush you into a pulp under her shoe.  Not been a complete idiot you ran to your left at an angle so her foot would have to be crossed behind her right leg to be able to step on you giving you a chance.  As her foot caught up to you, you hope your plane would work.  Not daring to look back you raced to the left corner of her chair so you would be behind her right leg. 

 

Jillian was getting tired of listening to her dad.  She looked down at her feet trying to escape the boredom her father was imposing on her.  She studied the ground near her feet for a couple of seconds and noticed something odd.  There was a small weird object right between her feet not moving.  For a second Jillian thought it was some food left over from the last person there, but as she looked closer she realized it wasn’t, it was bug.  She hated bugs with a passion.  They were always so creepy and ugly.  Just the thought of them made her skin crawl.  She would normally just leave it alone, but her dad was boring her and she needed something to take her mind of the conversation.  Moving her foot she was about to pulverize the helpless bug when it started to move.  Trying her best to crush it before it got away she followed it with her left foot.  She was inches away from killing the nasty bug when she noticed it was running to her right side preventing her from following it.  She was so close to smashing it under foot when it disappeared, out of sight.

 

You barely made it under her seat as her foot came close to smashing you.  You didn’t stop moving as you hope she didn’t move her seat to chase you.  Quickly you peered out from under her seat to see who was in the opening and noticed no one.  Taking this opportunity to cross to the next table you dashed over hoping to get closer to Dave and Terra.  You noticed they were still eating food and talking.  Just one more table to pass and you will be there.  Picking up your pace, you started to sprint to the table.

Making it to the final table all you had to do was run back into the opening for a couple of seconds and you would be right under Dave’s chair.  You needed to catch your breathe since you just ran a couple of miles and nearly got crushed by some kid who thought you were a bug; it just wasn’t your day.  Taking a few seconds you final got your breath and was about to move when Dave pushed his chair out and picked up both platters. 

They are done eating; you needed to hurry and get there before they leave the table and you here.  You quickly sprinted to the table and made it under the chair just as Dave left.  No big deal Terra was here you could try and get her attention.

“Hey Terra, lets hurry up and finish shopping,” Dave said near a trash can.

Terra started to get up out of her seat making you panic.  What the hell you couldn’t catch a break today could you.

“TERRA!!!” you shouted as loud as you could.  Unfortunately she didn’t hear you and walked toward Dave. 

Ok now you can freak out.  You were in a food court, with your only chance of survival walking away.  You were about to break down and give up when there was a ridiculous loud laughter that caught your attention; it was Becky laughing.

You really didn’t want to chance it but you had no choice, you had to get to them before they leave.  Of course now that you ran all the way over to where Dave was at, they were about 7 tables away.  Looks like you had a long run up ahead of you.  You started your long journey toward Becky and Christina, hoping they didn’t leave too.

It took you a while but you final made it.  You were right under Becky’s chair trying to catch your breath.  You final got your breath back and looked around.  There were a couple of bags from stores under the table that you could use to hitch a ride on (they were like gift bags).  As you walked over to the bags you felt like punching yourself right now for not picking Becky’s table as your first choice of help.  Well at least you were here now right? 

Looking at the bags you saw that one of the bag’s handles was long enough to touch the ground.  Wow what  luck; not wasting anytime you ran up to the bag and grab the handle and started to haul yourself to the top of the bag.  You heard movement as both Becky and Christina were moving, meaning that they were cleaning up and getting ready to leave.  Hurrying up you climbed faster.  You made it to the top peered over the top to see what was in the bag. 

Again luck was not on your side.  The bag was half full with some clothes, so if you dropped down then you would not be able to get out without help.  You knew that if they found you in there they would think you were a bug like everyone else.  You had to hang onto the edge of the bag and hope that you could stay there until later.  No sooner did you think of this did a hand reach under the table and grab the bag you were holding onto.  You felt your entire world move as the bag was pulled out from under the table.  You held onto the side of the bag with your life as you were swung back and forth with the sway of the person’s walk.  Looking on the bright side of things, you were heading home.

 

Becky finished her lunch and asked if there was anything else that Christina needed.  Shaking her head no, they both got up and picked up their bags.  They would head home now that they were done shopping.  Getting into her car Becky headed home with her shopping bags.  It was getting dark and knew that she needed to get dinner ready.  When she got to her home everyone was there again.  The moment she opened the door she was assaulted by the sounds of her family.  She was hugged by her grandchildren as they ran to greet her, making her drop her bags.

 

You were starting to lose your grip as you held onto the bag.  It felt like hours passed by and you didn’t want to climb down the bag and get stuck in the car if you could help it.  Finally the car stopped and again the bag was picked up and carried out of the car.  You were losing your grip and didn’t know how much longer you could hold on.  Maybe you should have got off and rested while in the car. 

Looking around you noticed that you were almost home and just needed to hold out a little longer. The door opened and the familiar noise of a crowded house assaulted you as Becky carried you into the home.  Thankful that you made it home after such a long time; even though it was only a couple of days it felt like a couple of years.  You saw Sarah through the crowd walking down the hallway.  The sight of her made you redouble your efforts as you were close to being return to normal-

There was a sudden jerking motion as you looked around and noticed that Becky was being hugged by a bunch of kids that were pushing her back.  She ended up dropping the bags with you on it causing them to hit the ground and making you lose your grip.  You fell screaming out for help as you hit the ground and black out. 

 

You woke up feeling your body aching.  You looked around and noticed you were still alive and in one piece.  Becky and Christian were nowhere in sight as you were still at the door way with no bags around.  They must have brought them in when you passed out.  Moving your sore body form enduring the fall you just survived, you were shocked to find you could move.  Most of the relatives were still all over the house but you saw the one person you were looking for, Sarah.  She was sitting at the table talking with a couple of other women talking.  Getting your head together you started to walk toward her, as you avoided the other relatives.

You were doing great, sticking to the shadows and slowly working your way toward the kitchen.  You were in the couches’ shadow when there was a loud thumping sound getting closer and closer.  Freezing in place in the shadows, you looked around to see that it was a group of kids playing tag again like when you first arrived.  One of the kids ran past the couch making the ground rumble as he passed by followed by a couple of girls.  When it was safe you slowly moved behind some more furniture when the noise came back.  This time it was a new group of kids running around. 

This could get dangerous; if they keep running around they may step on you.  Deciding to stay put until the relatives leave.  You put your back up against the chair and waited.  Your head was slightly throbbing and decided to close your eyes and let the pain go away.

 

You opened your eyes after feeling the throbbing disappear.  The moment you did your heart skipped a beat.  In front of you was your nephew Nick staring at you.

“You’re a funny looking bug,” he said with a grin.  He reached out and picked you up before you could even move.

Nick had his hand wrapped around you as you heard him talk to you, “Just wait until the others see you.  We’re going to have some fun with you…”