- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Just a little heads up, there will be some Giant male content soon

Jake and Nique shuffled their feet aimlessly. After their initial introductions and about a dozen new relatives introducing themselves to him, Jake and Nique had been left at the “young adults” table.

Other than his cousins, there were about ten other people here, all around the same age, the youngest being about fourteen. There were some boys and some girls. Jake’s cousin’s settled in easily, greeting everyone with hugs and kisses, the table was afire with jokes and laughter; Jake and Nique however were left out of it.

“Try to eat something” Nique told Jake worriedly, rubbing his shoulder; they stood in the center of the table.

“I’m fine” Jake told her, adjusting his collar. “Just a little nervous” he muttered under his breath.

Jake scanned the people surrounding him and his girlfriend, and for once, it seemed as though no one was truly interested in him.

Two boys about his age were arm wrestling, much to the complaint of their table partners; a couple was cooing over each other, Brittany was practically lying on top of an older guy by the name of Matt, giggling playfully at everything he said. Matt had his black hair slicked back with gel; a stubble beard covered most of his face, and a white t-shirt hugged his muscular body a bit too tightly.

She isn’t afraid to get with anyone related to her, Jake thought smirking, even some douche like that.

When he caught Jake staring he halted Brittany in mid-sentence and leaned forward, putting his elbows on the table.

“Something you’d like to say little man?” he asked.

“Who me?” Jake replied.

“Just thought maybe you had something on your mind”, Matt said, poking Jake with his index finger.

“No not really” Jake said taking a step back.

Brittany whispered something in Matt’s ear. Matt’s eyes went wide with interest. “Really?” he asked her. She nodded excitedly.

“Well we’ll definitely have to try that then,” Matt said to her, returning to his seat, “but not here, later”. Brittany made a pouty face and Jake let out a sigh of relief.

Nique gripped his arm, “please don’t get his attention again”.

“Why?” Jake said, heat rushing to his face, “you think I’m afraid of that Jerk” he motioned toward Matt with his hands, “he shouldn’t even be here, he’s like twenty!”

“Please?” She asked him, her eyes looking deep and sad.

Jake rolled his eyes, “Fiiiine” He said.

They decided to ignore the other table members and have dinner with each other.

At one point one of Jake’s many cousins tried flirting with Nique.

“Y’know, I don’t mind goin’ out with smaller girls” He said smiling.

“She’s taken pal” Jake snapped.

“Wasn’t talking to you was I?” he asked turning to Jake.

Nique put her hand on Jake’s and squeezed.

Jake bit his lip and put on a polite smile, “if you don’t mind, we’re trying to have dinner”.

The boy scoffed and turned his attention elsewhere.

“Thank you” Nique said.

“No problem” Jake mumbled. He clenched his fist. I knew tonight would be rough, but why is everyone here such fucking assholes!?

“Hey, you okay?” Nique asked, her hand held under his chin.

“I’m fine” he said for the second time that night. “Really.”

“Okay everyone” he heard Amanda shout, “we’re heading back to the house now”.

Everyone gathered up their belongings and headed out to their cars.

“Did you guys get along okay?” Jake’s mother asked them.

“Yeah” Jake lied, we were fine.

“Oh good, I think you two should knock off early tonight with me, everyone else is going to be partying”.

“At the house?” Nique asked.

“Yes, my sister loves to celebrate” His mother said, annoyed.

“Yeah lets hit the hay, I’m beat” Jake said yawning, “let’s get this night over with”.