- Text Size +

“So, tell me about that pretty girl of yours”

“Drop it, Paul.”

Paul Sodders laughed and turned up the radio a bit. He was sitting in the passenger seat of a pickup truck that was loaded with a pile of camping gear. Behind the wheel was none other than Matthew Collins. Just as planned he had spent his week camping with his old friend, Paul. And, just as expected, when he got to his cabin late, he paid the price. Now, Sodders did not know the reason for Matt's tardiness, but he had made a close enough guess.

“Come on now, Collins” Paul said in his slow southern drawl. “You ain't that clever. I had you figured out from the beginning. I just want to hear about this cute Danielle girl you met up with.”

“She's a friend from High School.” Matt said. “I wanted to see her before I came up to the trip.”

“I can respect that.” Paul said. “But I remember you saying that you were going to stay in that motel right down by the edge of town. Not with that Benson girl.”

“It's Bennett. Danielle Bennett”

“Thas right.” Sodders said. “Now, from a man to another man, how was that girl? I only know miss Bennett by rumor, and I know that she was once what you'd call a goofball. I can't imagine her being all that...ya know.”

Matt didn't respond. He should have known that Paul would be curious about his night with Danielle. He was one of those friends that wanted to know how girls that any of his buddies had been with performed. Now that Matt had avoided the question so much, now Paul was just using it as a way to teasingly annoy him. He brought it up as much as possible at the most planned ridiculous times. While waiting for fish to bite; while getting ready for bed, jamming it into the middle of a previous conversation.

But, the real reason Matthew was avoiding the conversation was because the true nature of what had happened that night with Danielle was just too bizarre for him to talk about. He wasn't good at making up stories to cover things up. The truth of the matter was that, during his visit, he had discovered a truth about Danielle Bennett that Paul would call him crazy if he heard it. Danielle had revealed to Matt that she had a magic power: the ability to shrink and enlarge objects at will. The night he had gone to visit her, it had begun with him standing at her feet to him being tucked between her breasts. The reason for today's “What did you do with her” comment was when Matt had woken up this morning, it had been cold. He then slipped into a trance, remembering that warm space on her chest. Paul had noticed this and he hadn't let Matt live it down.

“Aw, don't be giving me that silent nonsense.” Paul said. “I'll get an answer out of you yet, boy.”

“Paul, just drop it, man,” Matt said, turning on the blinker. They were getting close to Danielle's home town. Part of him wanted to drop by real quick and say hi again before going home. But he didn't think he could with Paul hanging around. “Nothing major happened.”

“Maybe not,” Sodders said. “But it sure is fun poking you about it.”

Matt rolled his eyes.

“Come on, Paul.” He said. “Geez, you were never this annoying in High School.”

“I wasn't, was I?” Sodders asked. “Damn, I'm ashamed of my younger self.”

“Yeah, well, you shouldn't be.” Matt said. “You're younger self wasn't as good of a fisher as you are now.”

“Well, thank you for that, Matty boy.” Paul said. “I guess I should try giving you a few tips. You look like you could use them.”

“Give me a break, Paul.” Collins said, grinning. “I...”

Before he could finish, his felt his cellphone vibrate. He fished it out and drove one handed as he began to flip it open.

“It's probably your girlfriend.” Sodders taunted. “Send her my love.”

“Paul, dude, give it a re...” He stopped.

DANIELLE B. was displayed on the phones screen. Danielle was calling him. He looked at the cell for a moment, letting it ring two times, before finally pushing the button. He slowly raised the phone to his ear.

“Hello...Danielle?” He said.

“I'll be damned!” Paul laughed. “I got that one!”

“Matt?” It was Bennett alright. “Hi! It's me, Danielle!”

“Yeah, I see that, Danielle.” Matt said, ignoring Paul. Even if Paul would never shut up about it, it was still nice to hear her voice. “What's up?”

“Are you on your way back from camping?” She asked with anticipation.

“Yeah, I'm in the car with Paul.” Matthew answered. “We're...”

“Are you near Brookburg?” She asked, sounding hopeful. “Near me?”

Matt suddenly had an idea where this was going. He grinned. Beside him, Paul laughed.

“Yes, I'm near Brookburg, Danielle.” He answered. “Why?”

“You gotta come by!” She exclaimed. “I have the most amazing thing!”

“Aw, Danielle, you already saw me.” Matt joked. “You can't miss me that much.”

“Can to!” Danielle replied teasingly. “But, seriously, you gotta drop by! I have something awesome to show you!”

“Show me?” Matt asked. He lowered his voice. “What is it?”

“It's a surprise!” Bennett said happily. “I want you to see it!”

“I don't really know, Danielle...I got company with me.”

“Oh, that's fine! You can bring him too if you'd like. I finally found something good I can do for people!”

“Oh really?” Matt asked. His curiosity was rising. “What's that?”

“Nu uh, nice try, but my lips are sealed.” Danielle said teasingly. “You'll just have to come see.”

“Alright, Danielle.” Matthew replied. “I guess I can afford to do that.”

“Great!” She said happily. “I'll see you then!”

She hung up.

Matt slid his phone back into his pocket. As he did, he saw the look on Paul Sodder's face.

“So what did she want?” He asked.

Matt sighed. “We're gonna drop by her place real quick.”

“Real quick, huh?” Paul inquired. “You just gonna leave me in the car while y'all do your bisness?”

“No, you're coming in too.” Matt said, making the turn into Brookburg. “She just want to show me something. From the way she put it, it sounded like she's joined a charity of some kind.”

“What kinda charity?”

“I don't know. She didn't say. She says it's a surprise.”

“She really is an odd one, ain't she?” Paul asked with a chuckle.

“She's...eccentric sometimes.” Matt explained. “But she's nice. You'll like her. She may be weird sometimes...most of the time...but you'll never find a sweeter girl.”

“Seems you think of this little lady quite fondly.”

“Give me a break, Paul.”



Well, Matthew Collins thought moments later, here we are...again.

Matt and Paul were driving through Danielle's neighborhood. For Matt, the scenes of his previous trip came back like a slide show picture. He saw Danielle and him hugging on the lawn. Then he saw them sitting on the couch, a massive couch cushion on the coffee table. Then he saw himself staring up at a mega sized Danielle as she stood over him. Then them playing hide and seek. Then, the image of Danielle and him in bed, where they had rocked their worlds.

He saw her house number, 2407. He turned to Paul as he pulled into her driveway.

“Be on your best behavior, Paul, alright?” Matt asked.

“What are jawing about?” Sodders replied. “I'm always kind to the ladies. Don't you remember the time I met your mother? She said that I was the most charming man that she'd ever met.”

“When did that happen? In your dreams?” Matt inquired.

“Well, now,” Paul said, grinning. “Look who's a joker now.”

Matt rolled his eyes. He unbuckled his seatbelt and bleeped the horn. He opened the door and stepped out.

“Nice place,” Paul commented, slamming his door. “Reminds me of my grandma's house.”

“Yeah?” Collins said. “I thought your grandma died before you were born.”

“She did.” Paul replied. “But my pappy drove me by her house once just to show it to me, and it looked kinda like thissun”

“Matt!” A new voice cried.

With a smile on his face, Matthew Collins turned back towards the house. Coming out the front door was none other than Danielle Bennett herself. She was dressed in a bright yellow blouse, that had slits in them to expose some of her arms. Along with that, she was wearing light blue jeans that didn't have back pockets and, of course, her trademark sneakers. She leaped off the porch and came running over.

“My gosh...” Paul Sodders whispered as she approached. “She's like a little kid. But my! She's pretty little thing just like I knew she would be, you lucky...”

“Stop it, Paul.” Matt whispered back. He turned his attention back to the girl, opening his arms for the anticipated hug. “We meet again, Danielle!”

Her response was simple. She jumped to his arms and threw her own around his neck. She hugged him so hard that he released a surprised gasp and had to squirm to release himself.

“I'm so glad you could come back!” Danielle cheered. Before Matt could move, she beat him to it. She turned to the other man. “And you must be...Paul, right?”

“That's right, you got it.” Paul said, smiling at her and shaking her hand.

“Thanks for keeping my Matthew Collins busy this week.” Danielle said, teasingly bumping Matt with her hip. “He can be a handful sometimes.”

“Oh, look who's talking!” Matt shot back, laughing.

“See?” Danielle continued. “He tries to blame things on me. He just doesn't understand that I'm a nice girl and I don't behave like the way he accuses me of.”

“Well, don't you worry.” Sodders said. “I kicked him into shape for you. Put him back in his place. A week of camping with me taught him a lesson or two.”

“Yeah,” Matt said. “One of them being that you can't set up a tent, you numb shit.”

“My tent-building-skills are just as good as your fishin skills.”

“Oh!Did you catch a big fish, Matt?” Danielle asked.

“If by 'big fish' you mean 'big tire', then yes he did.” Paul laughed.

“Hardy hardy har.” Matt said with a grin. He looked back at Danielle. “Alright, Ms. Bennett, what is this big thing you want to show me?”

She then did something that sent a shiver up Matthew's spine. It really shouldn't have, but considering the night he had spent with her last week, it wasn't too surprising that it did. She looked at him and giggled. Matt was suddenly worried.

“Well...it's more of a little thing, really.” She replied.

She winked at him. Matt's eyes widened.

“Well, come on, lady!” Paul ushered. “Let's see it.”

“Paul stay out here please.” Matt said clearly.

“What?” Danielle and Paul said simultaneously.

“I'll just be a moment, Paul.” Matt said, still looking at Danielle with worry.

“He can come it too, Matt.” Bennett said slowly. Now she was giving him a worried look.

“She says I can come.” Paul commented. He just looked confused.

“I know, but I think I should just see it.”

Paul gave him a queer look. Then he turned to Danielle. “Is it some kind of government secret? Some master plan?”

“Not that I know of.” Danielle said unsurely.

“Then why can't I see it?” Sodders asked, rounding on Matt.

“Consider it a personal favor, Paul.” Matthew said, still looking at Danielle. “I just need you to stay here.”

Paul Sodders stared at Collins for a moment, clearly confused beyond belief. He opened and closed his mouth several times, trying to think of something to say. Finally, he threw his hands into the air.

“Fine.” He shot. “I'll just sit out here then...though there's no reason for it.”

“Thanks, buddy.” Matt called to him. He gently grabbed Danielle's arm and lead her to the house.



“Are you alright, Matt?” Danielle asked as he shut the front door. “You look upset.”

Matthew Collins turned to her.

“What did you do?” He asked.

“What?”

“What...did....you...do?” He enunciated for her.

“Are you mad at me?” Danielle asked, worried.

“I don't know.” Matt replied. “Sorta what I'm trying to find out.”

“Did I do something wrong” She asked.

“I don't know what you did.” Matt said.

“Well, there's no need to be all worried.” Danielle said, smiling a little. “It's a good thing. I promise. In fact, I think you'll proud of me. It's so awesome!”

“What did you do?” Matt asked again.

“Come upstairs to my room and I'll show you!” She said excitedly.

She turned and headed for the stairs. Before she could go to them, Matt reached out and gently grabbed her arm again, stopping her. Then, he turned her back to him. He looked at her bright green eyes, thinking how she was a good girl. She always way. She wouldn't hurt anyone. No matter what she had done, he could at least have the assurance that nobody had been hurt...right?

Matt said: “Danielle...does this have anything to do with your...special ability.”

Danielle didn't respond.

“Danielle?” He stressed. “Does it?”

“.....maaaaybeeeee.” Danielle teased.

Matt's ultimate fear had been realized. He tried to say something. Anything. But he couldn't think of a thing.

“Come upstairs and I'll show you everything.” Danielle reassured.

She turned and headed for the stairs again. Matt almost reached for her again, but then he decided that it was probably best to see what it was and then assess the situation from there. As he followed her he began to try and calm himself, trying to remember that this was Danielle. The girl who wouldn't hurt a fly. She couldn't have done something too bad. Perhaps she had just shrunk objects. Maybe she had enlarged things. It was possible. Her power worked both ways. Perhaps she was planning to use her power to make food giant to feed more people. That at least sounded like a half baked idea that Danielle would do.

Finally, they reached her room. Danielle waited for Matt to catch up. She was jumping up and down with excitement.

“Alright, here we are.” She said. “Are you ready? I'd like to present you, Matthew Collins, with the best thing I can do for this town with my power. I would like to introduce, the Brookburg Homeless City!”

She opened her door and jumped in. Matt took a deep breath. Then, he slowly peeked in. He couldn't believe what he saw.

A model city was sitting against the wall just below the window. It was rectangular in shape, six feet long and four wide. On one side of the model, there was a single road with buildings on each side, making a small town. From what Matt could tell, there was a mini grocery, drug store, pawn shop, church, municipal building, and one unmarked building. Behind the town was a mini lake surrounded by fake trees and shrubbery. A small pier was even in the water, which sparkled from the sunbeam of the window. The road curved as an oval through the interior of the rectangle. Bordering it were mini homes. To Matt's amazement, the houses were lit up from the inside. Black cords arced out from under the model city and were connected to a battery supply that rested aside.

The little city was complete with little citizens.

Matt could see them. Barely, because of their size and his position at the door, but he could. Some of them seemed to be heading for the mini town on the right, others were taking a dip in the lake, while more were wandering through the forest, and the rest were just sitting around in groups.

Danielle walked towards the model city and then turned back to Matt.

“See? Isn't it great?” She said brightly. “The way I have it is this.” She pointed at the mini town. “That's the main political and business place. Kind of like the forum in the Roman towns. That's where I and the citizens get together to discuss additions, address complaints, and whatnot. Any new rule that they come up with they can bring to me and I will either do it or compromise with them, though I still hold the right to deny the request completely. I try not to do that, naturally, because it is their home and I want them to be as happy as can be!” She motioned to the homes. “These are their homes, obviously. I let them chose which house they want to live in and there can be no more than five in each one. Luckily, no house, right now, as more than three.” She pointed at the lake. “That's is the lake. It's where they can bathe and entertain themselves. I empty it and refill it once every two days.” She pointed to the unmarked building. “This is basically the public bath. The roof is removable and the structure itself can easily be lifted. Inside there are little bowls of water for their business and I empty and clean it out each night before I go to bed!” She paused for a breath and then continued. “I serve them food at nine AM, one PM, and five PM. Usually what I do is make a huge pot of something, whether it be oatmeal, soup, etc, and I shrank some plastic utensils and dishes for them, so I don't have to worry about that, they just throw all of that away in a box behind the bath house.”

She looked at the town and then back at Matt.

“The rules of the city are as follows. One, I will not tolerate any rudeness to fellow citizens or myself. Any violation of this I will take care of personally in a manner I see fit. Two, damage to or unauthorized entry into another groups home or property without consent is not allowed. Three, I would like it if they could refrain from leaving garbage anywhere other than the box by the bath house. Four, it is advised that all of the citizens stay within the city limits to avoid any accidents. And five, I will accept comments and the like before nine. Afterwards, please do not ask a questions unless it is an emergency or circumstance allows.”

She clapped her hands together and looked at Matt proudly.

“Well? What do ya think?”

Matt was staring at her, his mouth agape. He was silent for many minutes. He was trying as hard as he could to digest the entire spiel that had just come out of Danielle's mouth. It was overwhelming. It was completely insane. Worse, it was illegal. It was illegal, because...

“You're kidnapping people.” Matt whispered.

“What?” Danielle said, her eyes widening. “Matt, no...”

“Matt, yes!” He said frantically. “Danielle! Why...when...”

“Matt, I didn't kidnap anyone...”

Collins stepped as close as he felt comfortable to the city and looked at it. There were people in there. People Danielle had abducted. Good God, she had actually gone around and shrunk people.

“Why are you doing this?” Matt asked, rounding on her, his hands running through his hair.

“I told you,” She replied softly. “I wanted to help people.”

“Help people!?” Matt cried. “How is kidnapping supposed to help people!?” He took her shoulders. He looked at her desperately.

“I'm giving them a place to live, Matt.” Danielle said in a low voice.

“But why are you shrinking them!?”

Danielle didn't reply right away. She opened her mouth and then closed it. She did this two times, unsure how to respond. Finally, she did.

“Well...” She began. “After I shrunk you the other day, I realized I really loved the experience. I wanted to do it again. But, I couldn't because then I'd be off taking people away from their lives and families, and I couldn't do that. So, I sat down and thought how I could use my ability in a way that would benefit not only other people, but make me happy too. Then, I saw this model city at a garage sale and I got the idea! I would take Brooksburg's homeless and I would shelter them here!”

“Danielle!” Matt cried. “This is against the law! It's still kidnapping!”

“It is not!” Danielle said, worriedly. “I asked them if they wanted to and they all agreed.”

“Did they really agree or did it sound like they agreed?”

Danielle didn't reply.

“Danielle...” Matt continued. “You said it yourself. You said you didn't and wouldn't want to do things like this because you didn't want to scare people.”

“I didn't...” She replied. “But...then you let me do it to you...”

Matt stared at her. He pressed his fingers against the sides of his head.

“I knew I shouldn't have let you do that to me!” He said regretfully. “I knew it would cause trouble...”

“But you liked it...” Danielle said. “You told me you liked it...”

“Well...yeah...” Matt stuttered. “But that...but that doesn't mean you can go shrinking others without permission!”

“Matt, I told you...”

“What in the hell is going on!” A new voice cried.

Paul Sodders now stood in the doorway. His eyes were wide and an excited expression was one his face. His eyes scanned back and forth between Danielle and Matt.

“Well, hello, Paul.” Danielle said with a small smile.

“What are you doing!?” Matt cried. “I told you to wait outside!”

“You best be quiet, Matt Collins!” Paul said. “One, I don't like men that yell at women. You know this! But two, I been listenin. Sorry for it, but y'all talkin pretty loud. I hear you two talking about kidnapping! I knew something funny was going on here! First I thought y'all had a conjugal visit the other day, but when you guys started acting funny just now, I knew something was up!”

“Paul,” Matt said softly. “You're so wrong it's painful.”

“Yes, Mr. Sodders, I can explain...” Danielle offered.

“I don't need your talk!” Paul said loudly. “I just want to know what you done! You guys work for the CIA?”

“Paul! You've been watching too much TV!” Matt shot back.

“You gonna answer the question, Collins?” Paul asked. “Pretty suspicious how you keep dodging it.”

“I'm trying to tell you you're wrong!” Matthew yelled.

“So I just imagined the kidnap talk?”

“You don't understand!”

“I understand plenty, son!”

“Oh, whatever!” Matt cried. He turned back to Danielle. “Look, Danielle, you need to think about this. I know you like playing with shrunken people, but this is dangerous!”

“Oh so you admit it, then!” Paul shot. “You admit you.....wait...what?”

“What do you mean, Matt?”

“You can't keep doing this.” Collins answered. “If you keep shrinking people you're gonna want more. Eventually, you'll run out of homeless people and then what will you do?”

“Homeless people?” Paul asked.

“What do you mean?” Danielle said, looking confused. “If I get all of them, then the job is done. I'll have them all here where they can live and I can take care of them.”

“......what?” Paul whispered.

“You don't think you won't be satisfied?” Matt asked.

“Satisfied about what?” Danielle questioned.

“I mean, what if the homeless of Brookburg isn't enough to keep you interested.” Matt said. “What if you want more?”

“Matt, I wouldn't do...”

“What if, God forbid, you were to...lose...some of them and you wanted to replace them?”

“Matt!” Danielle cried, mortified. “How could you think that I would be so reckless?”

“Because you already have been.” Matt replied. “What if a cop had seen you gathering those guys? You thought you were doing the right thing. I don't think the law would agree. What you have done? Taken the arrest, or shrunk the cop to keep him quiet?”

Danielle gasped.

“What is this shrunk talk?” Paul asked.

“Matt....” Danielle said slowly. Tears were welling up in her eyes. “Do you really not have any faith in me? Do you think I'm a monster like that?”

“What would you have done?” Matt asked. When she didn't reply, he said, “That's the thing. Your silence is questionable. This isn't right, and I think you're smart enough to know that. You need to let these people go.”

“But I'm taking care of them!” Danielle said tearfully. “Why can't you see that? I'm not hurting them and I just want to keep them off the streets! You want to just let them go back out there with no food, no water, no shelter?”

“Look, Danielle,” Matt said. “Don't do the guilt trip. I'm sorry, but this needs to stop. I think a more selfish part of you is doing this. You know the Id, Ego, and Superego of Freud? Well, right now, your Id has taken over and the Ego has bound and gagged the Superego to keep him quiet so the Id can go undisturbed. You've taken these people and trapped them and given them these rules that they're too terrified to not break. They might think that you'll crush them underfoot if they disobey you. I mean, look at it from their perspective, Danielle, they...”

A bright red light began flashing. It was coming from the Municipal Building of the Town. Matt stopped and looked at the mini city. Danielle and Paul did the same.

“Oh...” Danielle said, wiping her eyes. “They need me.”

“Danielle, I'm talking to you.” Matt said. “They can wait.”

“But they're calling a meeting.” She replied.

“They're...what?”

Danielle walked next to her model city and knelt down behind the Municipal Building.

“Alright,” She said. “Who rang?” There was a pause. “You? Okay, stand still.” She reached in and gently lifted up one of the citizens and held him up to her ear.

“What the sam hell is she doing?” Paul asked Matt, who didn't respond. He was watching the brunette carefully.

“Oh...”Danielle said. “You...you want to speak to who?” A Pause. She looked at Matt. “Really? Why?” Another pause. “Are you sure?” Pause. “Well....okay.”

She stood up and grabbed a book off of her bed and set it on the floor.

“What are you doing?” Matt asked.

“They want to talk to you.” Danielle replied.

Matt was silent. Him? What did the people of Tinyville have to say to him? Danielle gently set the man down on the book and then stood back. Then, she did something he recognized clearly. Her face went blank. That happened when she was using her power. It had been that way when she had shrunk him. It was just as eery as it was last time. A girl who was typically as cheerful as Danielle usually was should never have a look like that on her face.

Then a shape began to form on the book she had lain on the ground. Soon it was clearly a human form. Expanding like a balloon, a person soon stood before Matt and Paul. He was clearly a homeless man. He was unshaven, his hair was messy, and his clothes were dirty. He gave Paul a short glance before turning his gaze onto Matt, who took a step back. He didn't like the way the man was looking at him.

“Matt,” Danielle said. “This is Hap...Robertson?”

“Geraldson, Mistress.” He corrected her respectfully.

“Mistress?” Matt said. “Is that what you have them calling you, Dani-”

“Shut yer hole, son.” Hap Geraldson snapped. “Quit yer hollerin too. Me and the fellas can't concentrate on our poker game with all your racket going on.”

“Look, Geraldson,” Matt said. “I don't know what you want, but can you m-”

“Damn right you don't know what we want.” Hap interrupted. “Thas why I'm here. Don't none of us remember asking you to speak for us.”

“Where did he come from?” Paul Sodders spoke up. He was backed against the wall, staring at Hap like he was phantom.

“Pardon?” Matt asked the homeless man.

“You listen here, rich boy,” Hap said, pointing at him. “We's just fine where we are. We don't need you to come spewing your 'speaking up for us' crap. You don't know whatchoo talkin bout.”

“Wait...” Matthew Collins said slowly. “You WANT to be here?”

“Course we do!” Hap said. “You don't know much about living out on them streets, do ya rich boy? Nah, course ya don't. It ain't fun. It ain't good. And I'm done tired of it. I used to go to bed hungry and slept out in the rain. Now, I don't need to worry about that. Ya know why? Because of this here pretty girl. This fine lady has given us a nice place to call our own.”

“She's treating you like you're pets.” Matt protested. He shook his head. “Look, you may be happy about this, but what about the others. Surely they have an opinion they'd like to-”

“I am dere opinion!” Hap shot. “I'm here cause no one else wanted to interrupt the Mistress while she was talking. But, listen to your crap, I knew I had to say somethin and I did. The whole city was wit me!”

“I don't believe you.” Matt said.

“Really now?” Hap said. He turned to the model city. “You boys flash dat dere light again. Do it once if you agree with this idiot. Do it twice if you want him to shut up and leave us good men alone.”

There was a pause. Then, the light on the Municipal Building lit up and then dimmed. After a short pause, it lit up again. Matt's confidence was gone. Hap nodded and turned back to him.

“Dere's your answer, big shot.” He said. “Town vote for ya. Unanimous.”

“But...”

“No buts.” Hap said. “We like where we are and we don't need you to screw it up for us.”

“Geraldson, listen...”

“I ain't got nuttin more to say, pal.” Hap Geraldson said. He turned back to Danielle. “Ready to be taken back to town, Mistress. Sorry to interrupt you.”

“That's alright, Mr. Geraldson.” Danielle said with a small smile. “Stand still.”

She blanked out and soon Hap was the size of the nail on a pinky finger. Danielle shook her head as she came back and then bent and picked him up and walked back over to the model city and placed him back. Matt stood there, speechless. He hadn't expected one of the members to actually come forward and confront him like that. It kind of ruined his move of trying to end this madness.

He didn't buy Hap Geraldson's story for a moment. The man claimed that he was happy where he was, and perhaps that was true, but it had nothing to do with his homelessness. It was, of course, that his new caregiver was an attractive college student who was eccentric and had the power of reducing things. They were probably waiting for the day where she would wear a skirt and unknowingly give them a good view up it or for her to change clothes right next to city limits, or for her to be in bed asleep and them climb up to her by her sheets. There were many reasons and Matt thought they were more likely than them being homeless.

Danielle stood back up and looked at Matt.

“I told you.” She said softly. “I told you they agreed to come.”

“Danielle, you honestly believe that man?” Matthew asked. “You think that it has nothing to do with you being an attractive woman? Are you really that naïve?”

“He said he was happy here and that's good enough for me,” Danielle said resolutely.

“Danielle, seriously, you...”

Before Matt could continue, Paul shoved past him and stood in front of Danielle.

“Where did that man come from?” He asked her.

“Uh...well, it's kind of a funny story, Paul.” Danielle said, giggling slightly. “You see, when Matt came to visit me the other day I told him that I have this power. This power is pretty much I can focus on things and shrink or grow them. Example, when my mother used to bake cookies, I would...”

Paul suddenly reached out took her shoulders. Danielle was startled by the sudden movement and stopped talking and looked at him.

“C...c...can you do that to me?” He asked softly.

“What?” Matt and Danielle both said.

“I want live there too!” Paul Sodders pleaded. “I want you to take care of me, Mistress! I want to live under your rules and care!”

“Paul!” Matt cried. “What the hell? Get a grip, man!”

“Are you serious, Paul?” Danielle asked, surprised. “Do you really want me to shrink you?”

“Yes!” Paul said excitedly. “I'll do anything for you! I can be a trash collector or a cop or nothing if you don't want me to! But, I want you to care for me, I really do!”

“Well, I don't have a problem with it...” Danielle said, a smile forming on her face.

“I do!” Matt yelled. “Paul! Stop thinking with your pe-”

“You be quiet!” Paul snapped. “It's my choice, not yours!” He turned back to Danielle. “When can I join. Any chance you can put me in now?”

“Sure!” Danielle Bennett said happily. “Let me just get that book.”

“You have got to be shitting me!” Matt cried unbelievingly.

“I said, shut up!” Paul cried.

Matt slapped his forehead. He could not believe what he was hearing. He knew Paul was looking for the same thing that the rest of the tiny men were. It was a case in point when he saw that Paul was admiring Danielle's rear as she bent to pick up the book. The man was thinking that he had died and was entering heaven. Danielle set the book down and Paul stood over it.

“Paul...” Matt began.

“Don't want to hear it, Matt!” Sodders shot at him. “Ready when you are, ma'am.”

Danielle nodded. She blanked out. Before Matt could react, not that there was anything he could do, Paul deflated and was soon the size of a pinky nail on the book. Danielle shook her head and then smiled down at him.

“Hello down there.” She said. She giggled and looked up at Matt. “I love saying that to them.” She looked back down. “Now be still. I have to pick you up and now and that's the trickiest part.”

She bent down and picked up the tiny Paul between her thumb and index finger. Matt watched as she held him up to her face and smiled at him. She looked at Matt.

“Isn't he cute, Matt?” She cooed. “Awww, they're all so cute at this size.”

Then, Danielle lowered her hand to breast level and gave the little man a hug against her bosom. Matt imagined that Paul was in a very happy place right now. Not that he could blame him. He had been there before as well.

“Welcome to the family, my new little friend.” She said softly. She then turned and gently placed the tiny man down at the Municipal Building. “Hap? Could you please give our new friend the run down, please? Thank you.” She put a hand to her mouth, kissed it, and then blew it to them, purposely hard enough to knock them over. She giggled and then stood and faced Matt.

“See, Matt?” She said with a smile. “Another eager person! I didn't have to ask.” Her smile turned sly. “You know, I always have time for my favorite little guy.” She turned back to the town. “Sorry guys, Matt beat you all. I shrunk him first and as the boyfriend, I have to think of him as the cutest!” She giggled and looked back at Matt. “So how about it?”

“Don't even think about, Danielle.” Matt said firmly. “I don't like this and you know that.”

He was stepping away from her. He didn't like this at all. If she decided, at any moment, that she wanted to shrink him, there was nothing he would be able to do but plead and beg. He would be entirely at her mercy. Fortunately, she gave him a disappointed look.

“I can't just let this go down.” He continued. “If I have to hang around till I can convince you, then so be it.”

Danielle lit up.

“You're gonna stay here with me?” She said hopefully. “Oh boy!”

“Don't get too excited,” Matt said quickly. “I'm doing this because I feel that I have to keep an eye on you. You're not shrinking me?”

“Well, maybe not now.” She winked at him.

“Danielle no!” Matt cried frightfully. “Don't do it! Do you hear me? I don't want you to.”

“Matt, relax.” Danielle said softly, a concerned look on her face. “If you really don't want to then I wouldn't do it without your consent. It's no fun that way.” She smiled. “I just think that you might, just might, want me to play with you. You know...like last time.” Again, she winked.

Matt was silent. He was afraid she was right. Danielle was hard to resist. She had a way of asking nicely for things. It was one of the reasons that her eccentricities were forgiven. She was just too cute, nice, and just plain lovable to ignore. If Danielle asked you enough times, more than likely, you would find yourself doing it. Perhaps it was just that feminine charm. She radiated it naturally, sometimes without even knowing it.

“I'm gonna call my parents and tell them what's going on,” He said. “Well, a version that they'll believe anyway. They were expecting me back tomorrow, but I think I'll more time than that, don't you.”

“I guess...” Danielle said, unsurely. She then smiled. “I'm just glad you're here. I missed you from the moment you left!”

She ran up to him and hugged him. Matt sighed and hugged her back. She then released him and looked at her watch.

“Oh, my!” She exclaimed. “Supper time is almost here! Better get the food ready.” She looked at Matt. “Could you order you and me a pizza, Matt? While you're using the phone?”

Matt sighed. “Sure...I'll do that.”

“Thanks!” She gave him a kiss on the cheek and went out the door.

Matthew Collins stood there for a moment, glancing at the model city under the window. He still didn't like this. He didn't like this at all. He was afraid that Danielle would take this too far. And he couldn't let that happen.

He sighed and exited the bedroom.