- Text Size +

Hap Geraldson was eating out of a garbage can again.

He was a well known man and at the same time he wasn’t. Everyone knew him but they didn’t know him. He was a regular down the suburbs of Brookburg Park, walking up and down in a raggedy coat, filthy slacks that had an old rope as a belt, and wearing not shoes but soiled socks. He had been drifting along for many years, begging for money and sleeping in boxes. He used to live in a beat down old van with broken windows, rusted rough, and could only go forwards. He was forced to use a can as a toilet and dispose of it in a field. Later, when he was away from it too long, the city took away his car and sent it to the dump. Ever since Hap had been just living against the elements empty handed.

He wan’t really sure how he had gotten to where he was today. He had been homeless for years and he couldn’t even remember how it was, living with a roof over your head. He begged frequently, but was usually given very little to nothing. He was able to stay in the city library, getting drinks from the water fountains and sometimes stealing food from the coffee shop. He was able to shower every now and then by sneaking into the community college’s shower but he wasn’t able to shave or get a hair cut in months, but fortunately his showers kept him mostly tolerable in regards to smell in public

Hap now slept under a bridge in the park with a number of other homeless people. They lit fires in a trash can during the nights and every day during the damned winter. Hap only stayed with the other men because they were people to talk to. There were constant fights amongst the homeless, usually about what one had done before his was poor and what one would do when he made a million dollars. Just talk about money. There was no real reason for it. One of the more vocal of the group, Cornell Hammar, often talked loudly that it was the fault of his good for nothing son. Apparently, his son had ruined the family business which changed every time he told the story. It eventually got so old to hear it that another man, Sheldon Litner, told the “bum” to take a hike. Cornell did and he didn’t come back.

Nobody took much notice of Hammar’s disappearance. Most of them vanished without saying a word, off to drift namelessly to a new town to beg and sleep under a new bridge. Hap didn’t really notice Wayne Cavan was gone, leaving his cart behind, Hugh Woodin leaving no trace after that. In fact, when he went back to the campout at the bridge, he muttered how nice it was to have some peace and quiet for once. He had the fire can all to himself after all.

Hap got hungry after sitting and staring at the Brookburg Lake, so he decided to go and hunt through a couple of trash cans for food. He had been through a number of cans, not finding a damn thing

“Damn people don’t throw out gabage like thay use too.” Hap muttered to himself, pawing through the trash. He leaned farther down, his head entering the can. “How’s a man suppose to eat when you damn folk horg it all to your damn selves.”

“Hi mister!” A new voice suddenly called sunnily.

Hap Geraldson nearly toppled over with the trash can. When he was able to free himself, he spun, expecting a cop, about to tell him to stop stinking up the garbage can. But, it was no a policeman. It was a young woman. A very pretty young woman, Hap observed with pleasure. She was about as tall as he was, with long brunette hair and sparkling green eyes. She was wearing a bright yellow open sleeve blouse, the kind that hat small slits down the fabric to expose her arms. She was also wearing a pair of light blue jeans, which were absolutely beautiful, her cute features shown through them. Slung around her arm was a big cotton purse which, by its deflated appearance, Hap guessed was empty. On her feet were a pair of red sneakers.

She smiled at him. It was an excited smile, like one a child may have when they make a new friend or get a new toy. Hap smiled back, his less charming teeth showing.

“Well hello there, miz,” Hap slurred. The Brunette’s shirt was open neck and enjoyed the view of her cleavage. “Nice day we having isn’t it?”

“Sure is!” The Brunette said happily. “I was wondering if I could speak with you.”

Hap reached out a hand.

“Surely a nice lady like you has some change for an old man like me.” He pointed at her bag. “Awful hungry ma’am. Sure could use a bite to eat.”

Brunette ignored his hand. “I’m sure you could.” She said, the friendliness in her voice faltering not at all. “That’s what I want to...”

“Living on them streets is quite hard.” Hap said continuing with his sob story. “Go days without food. Go days without water. I ain’t got no home. A little money would help me quite a bit.”

The Brunette gave him a very sympathetic look.

“I bet life is very hard for you, mister.” She said. “But that’s why...”

“Oh it is tough...” Hap said sadly. He waved his open hand. “I use an old tin can to do mah business in. I live under a bridge ma’am. Hard life, very hard life. But if you got a few quarters I could get me a good supper. I would like a good supper. It would make me very happy, mizz.”

The Brunette smiled. “So you’re saying that if you didn’t live out here on the streets, you’d be happy?” She asked in a voice that sounded strangely hopeful.

“Ah gorse,” Hap said. He had said, of course. He reached out his hand more, wondering if the Brunette hadn’t seen it.

“And that if you had a nice, warm, cozy place to live,” The Brunette spelled out. “And if you had some food you’d be happy, right?”

“I’da died and a gone to heaven, ma’am,” Hap said a bit impatiently. Was she going to give him any money or not? “But if ya give me a buck or two I would be happy. Could go get me a sammich down at the gas station.”

“Oh that’s not a good supper,” The Brunette said, shaking her head. “I don’t have any money to give you, mister. Sorry.”

Hap lowered his arm and began to turn away. “Well, that’s okay kid,” He mutters. “I be a’ight.”

“But I can give you a better meal,” The woman continued cheerfully.

“I jesh need some change, ma’am...”

“And a nice place to live!” The Brunette finished cheerily.

At the words, “place to live”, Hap Geraldson slowly turned back to her.

“Whaja say?” the homeless man asked softly. “Whatcha talking about?

The girl smiled brightly at him.

“What would you say,” Brunette continued. “If I could put you into a nice cozy home?”

Hap looked at the woman like she was insane.

“I don know what you talkin bout...”

The Brunette smiled at him a little uneasily. She turned and looked up and down the street. Hap was beginning to get worried. It looked like she was making sure that it was just him and her. She looked back at him, brushing a lock of her hair from her eyes.

“Well, if you want,” She said softly. “I can take you home with me. You can stay as long as you want! I want you to trust me.”

Hap looked at the woman. He could hardly believe his ears.

“Trust you about wut?” He asked.

“To take care of you, of course.” The woman said, smiling.

“I jesh asked ya for change!” Hap said. This broad was crazy. She had to be. He had met people who refused to acknowledge him, some who were generous and gave him money, and some who looked at him like trash on the street, but he had never met anyone who came up to him out of the blue and offer him a bed in their house.

“But I can do better!” The Brunette exclaimed, cheerfully. “Just like the rest of your friends! I took them home and now they're all happy; all warm and cozy and fed!”

Hap froze. He took a few steps away from the woman.

“What you know about them others?” He asked. “Where'd they get off to? They'd been missing for days now.”

“I'll show you!” Brunette said smiling. “I think you'll be very happy when you join them! They all seem to love they're new lives! Now, if you could just stand still for a moment, I'll take you right to them, as quick as a flash!”

Then her face changed. From a bright, cheerful, smiling one, to a distracted, distant, unplugged expression. Hap was going to ask her what in the hell she was doing. Her looking at him like that was creepy. He even opened his mouth to tell her to stop. But before he could, a wave of something hit him. It was a feeling he had never felt before. He felt like his body was slowly collapsing on itself. He felt a powerful blow of nausea and he was sure that the cheap booze that he had drunk earlier that morning was going to come spewing out. Maybe get some on the kid's sneakers. It felt like his mind was spinning inside his skull, and the homeless man wobbled on his feet. He didn't want to fall. He would fall into the road and get hit by a car. But the man could stop himself and down he went.

But he didn't fall off the curb. But that wasn't possible because he had been standing on the edge. He should have felt it under his knees, while his ass and hands felt smooth, paved road. He opened his eyes. Immediately, the sunlight made him squint and he raised a hand to block it. When he was able to see somewhat, he beheld a rather confusing image. At first, he thought it was an illusion. A glare from the hot sun's light. There was a big red thing before him. Hap looked at it with wonder. Something about it looked familiar. Along the top of it, a length of white rope crisscrossed the top in the way that almost looked like...like...

“Like a sneaker...” Hap Geraldson whispered thoughtfully. He remembered Brunette’s shoes. He then began to look up.

He saw a cyclopean tower of light blue. Above that, a massive wall of painfully bright yellow. Then he saw distant, but still visible mountains bulging from withing the screen of florescence. Above that, two bulbs of bright green looked down at him. Slowly, the revelations began to come. Brunette had been wearing red sneakers. She had been wearing light blue jeans. She had been wearing a yellow blouse. She had green eyes. Hap's own eyes widened.

The woman was staring down at him. The homeless man noticed didn't like her expression. Her eyes were glazed and empty. All the cheer and smiles that had been on her face were gone, like the life had been sucked from her. Then, she twitched as if a spasm had coursed through her. The lifeless look vanished and was replaced in an instant with a wide, delighted smiled.

“Hello down there!” Her soft, booming voice squealed. “Ah, you're just a cute as the rest of them! You guys are so, so adorable when your itty bitty. I mean that sincerely!”

Hap was barely listening. He was staring up at the woman with wide eyes. He began to crawl backwards, away from her. What in the hell had she just done to him? What was she GOING to do to him. Hap began to think about what she had said. She had been gathering the others, but for what? Had she said? He couldn't remember. He tried to think but the ground suddenly shook so hard that he bounced off the ground. He had gone at least five feet in the air. The woman had only shifted her feet. She was still staring down at him, holding her hair back with both hands. Her empty purse still dangled from her shoulder. She must have, though it was impossible at his size, noticed that Hap was not in a happy place right now. She dropped her hands to her hips and offered him her sunniest smile.

“Now don't you worry!” She said, her voice taking a tone that was probably supposed to sound 'professional'. “I won't hurt a hair on your little head. Cross my heart and hope to die! I have experience taken care of you little guys and you're just the newest addition to our happy little family!” She giggled. “Hey, that's a good pun! Now, I don't want to scare you, but I can't leave your little self on the ground there, so...”

One of the titanic sneakers moved. It, despite the woman's best efforts, pounded into the ground, sending Hap into the air again. He let out a cry as he hit the ground. Bouncing on a hard, concrete surface was not going to do his back any favors. But he soon forgot about the pain as Skyscraper Gal bent down. It was like watching towers collapse on themselves and seeing something so big move so fast sent a shiver down Hap's spine. She raised a hand and suddenly fingers the size of subway trains were extended to him. The man wanted to scream but couldn't. He squeezed his eyes shut and tried to get up and run but his legs wouldn't respond. Then, he felt a great squeeze and his eyes flew open as they suddenly felt like they were going to pop out from the pressure. He saw a plain of tan that was littered with massive swirls that were the finger prints.

Then, he felt the ground be removed from under him as he was lifted into the air. It was like an elevator ride. Sneakers, jeans, hip, blouse, breasts, neck, lips (curved into a smile), nose, and then, the swimming pool sized green eyes. Hap saw his own reflection in the big wheel tire sized pupils.

“Hi there, little guy!” Brunette squealed with delight. “I hope I didn't squeeze you too hard. The trickiest part of dealing with you guys is picking you up. Fortunately, I haven't had a single injury yet!” She stared at him for a moment. “Awww, you're so cute! You'll be very happy with me!”

Suddenly, the eye was gone and Hap suddenly realized that he was being lowered. The next thing he knew, he was faced with two mountains, hidden behind a wall of yellow blouse. Hap felt himself get happy. The Brunette then guided her hands against her wide bosom, as she gave him what she hoped was a warm, comforting hug. To Hap, it was a little more than that. He bulb of warm softness pressing against his hard spot was incredible and he moaned, forgetting his previous fears.

“I'll take good care of you.” Brunette said softly. “You won't have to live out here anymore.”

She gave a press and Hap felt her boob jiggle, causing a little friction down at his groin. He teeth gritted as his happy feeling doubled. But, just as he felt the big moment was going to come, he was lifted away. Hap reached out, trying to wiggle out of her fingers and latch onto her breasts, where he would climb up to the neck of her shirt and hop down into the welcoming warmth below. He wasn't fast enough, however. The next thing he knew he was looking back at eye level. This time, she held him farther, so he saw a bit more of her face. She smiled at him. Hap was absorbed in her overwhelming beauty. He smiled back.

“Now, I'm gonna put you in this purse here.” She said. “There are four other guys in there, so you'll have some friends to talk to so you won't be lonely. There are some cracker crumbs in there if your hungry. Just help yourself, kay?” She began to lower him down to the purse, but then raised him back up. “Oops, I almost forgot. I'm Danielle. Danielle Bennett. It's nice to meet you.”

Hap opened his mouth to introduce himself, not yet knowing it was pointless, she wouldn't be able to hear him, but he wasn't given the time. Next thing he knew, he was being lowered into the open purse.

Danielle Bennett carefully lowered her hand until she felt the bottom of her purse. When she did, she opened her fingers, releasing her newest recruit. When the man was safely tucked away, she continued down the street. An aging man came out from a nearby store, meaning to see if that homeless man was still digging in the garbage. He smiled as the young college girl passed him. She smiled back.

Danielle looked at her purse and thought of how lucky she had been. She hadn't expected to find another man on her way home. What if she had missed him? It was supposed to rain tonight. The man would have come down with a cold by morning. Knowing that she had spared him potential sickness and a miserable, wet night sent a wonderful feeling of good in Danielle's heart. It had been the same for all of the other poor homeless men she had put in her purse the last week. Such a sad life it must be, living out on the streets. She couldn't believe that anyone could stand living like that for even an hour. Bringing them out of the elements to take care of them was perhaps the best thing she could do.

“Don't worry, fellas.” Danielle said. “You'll be home soon!”