- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Tom accepts a dangerous study mission, and runs into problems once reaching the planet called Earth...

Dr. Tom had agreed to participate in the Galatic Alliance's new research project. The goal of this project was to send scientists to worlds throughout the galaxy and, in private, study the dominant species who lived on each of those worlds. To Dr. Tom, who was always eager to learn something new about the universe, it was a great opportunity.

Before departing on his ship, Tom received a letter of warning from the head of the project. Tom would be sent to a planet called Earth, a world populated with many different forms of life. Tom, at first, didn't understand why he'd need a letter of warning, but he accepted it and got on his ship. As the trip was proceeding, he decided to get out the letter and give it a read:

-----------------------------------------
Dr. Tom,

Before you reach Earth, I must warn you about the creatures you will be studying when you get there. They are called humans. They look like us, but there is one major difference between them and us. Something you need to be made aware of.

You and I know height to be determined by punicks. For example, you are 6 punicks tall, give or take. However, the human population on this world is very large, in comparison to us. They range in a number of sizes, which they regard as Inches or Feet. An average human stands to a height of 5 or 6 feet.

However, by our standards, one Punick would equal a single inch. By saying that a human is 5 feet tall, we would say they are 60 Punicks tall. Now, don't be alarmed by this. We have a built-in AI on your ship that will create a safe, camouflaged station for you inside one of their homes. You'll be safe, so long as you make sure they don't come near you.

I wished to tell you this before you got there. Good luck out there and I am excited to see what your findings will be.

Your friend,
Dr. Zink

PS. If you ever get caught, don't go near their feet. Human Foot smell will have an adverse effect on your body.
-----------------------------------------

Tom set down the paper and was a little shocked. "60 punicks? They'd be ten times as tall as I am. I'd only be a little longer than their hand or foot! I've got to make sure I'm careful on this mission…" he said to himself. For the rest of the trip, he laid in his bed while the ship was on Auto-Pilot. He was worried about the danger he was in, but at the same time, he enjoyed the chance to study a species such as this. Before long, he fell asleep…

*WARNING! PROXIMITY ALERT! HULL BREACH IMMINENT! ALL PERSONNEL EVACUATE IMMEDIATELY!*

Tom was thrown off the bed and woke up as his ship's alarm was going off. "What? Computer, what's happening!?" He ran through the ship, but was thrown off balance as the entire ship seemed to be shifting around. Tom flew back and hit a wall. Looking down, he saw a small headset, one designed to communicate with the ship's computer.

"Computer! What's going on!?" he screamed into the headset. Before long, an automated voice came through the earpiece.

*Destination Reached. Outpost in Process of Setting Up. Disturbance around Ship. Unknown Life form nearby*

"What?" Tom said to himself. As the ship was being tossed around, he tried to look around for an exit. Luckily, they had emergency exit programs built into the beds. Crawling over to the bed, he climbed in and removed the pillow to reveal a small computer terminal. He typed in a code and spoke "Emergency Evacuation Command. Verification Code: Tom 157 Delta!"

*Command Accepted. Emergency Evacuation Initialized*

Chapter End Notes:

Once out of the ship, how will Tom set up his research outpost?