- Text Size +

Something struck a chord in Betty Brant’s heart.

 

“He risked his life for me tonight, because he really loves me,” she thought, “He’s going to stand up to his only supportive relative, because he really loves me. I’ve been too quick to dismiss him. For a 16 year old school child, he’s so much more mature than J Jonah Jameson.”

 

Betty looked into Peter’s eyes and saw the sincerity of his declaration of his feelings.

 

“I’m sorry I missed the formal, Peter. Will you give ME another chance?”

 

“Abolutely. And don’t worry about Aunt May. If it comes down to it, I’d move in with Harry Osborn permanently. Other people don’t decide my relationships for me, only you.”

 

“I never imagined you could fight like that,” said Betty.

 

“I hope I never need to again. Would you like to come into my place for coffee on your way home?”

 

Betty was about to say, “But what about your Aunt?”

 

Then she checked herself. This was an opportunity to see if Peter really was going to prevent his Aunt’s dominance from over riding their relationship.

 

“I’d like that,” said Betty.

 

They made their way to Peter’s house, well within his curfew time, and he took Betty to the kitchen, and made some coffee. Aunt May came down the stairs, while they were drinking it. He would avoid telling her, that he knew she’d spoken to Betty. He would state his feelings for her before his Aunt, defending the girl’s right to be with him and showing he had no reason to side line Betty in his Aunt’s favour.

 

“Miss Brant. I was given to understand-“ began Aunt May.

 

“I have an announcement to make,” said Peter, as though he had no idea of the previous tension between the two women, “I’m in love with Betty, and I’ve asked her to be my steady girlfriend. I’ve never been this happy since Uncle Ben was alive.”

 

“Oh,” said Aunt May, removing the caustic look which she had been giving Betty.

 

Something told May Parker that this would not be the time to attempt any assertion of authority. Her nephew had clearly set his sights on Betty, far more seriously than she had first realised.

 

“I made some cake today, dear. Would you and Peter like to have some?”

 

“Good old Aunt May,” he thought, “She recovers well.”

 

“Thank you,” said Betty, “That would be nice.”

 

Peter thanked his aunt too, and she served them both some cake on small saucers.

 

“I’ll leave you two young people to talk down here. It’s time I turned into bed,” said May.

 

Peter wanted to leave the two together briefly, and said he had to check something on his computer quickly. He left the room.

 

“I’m sorry dear,” said May, “Sometimes I think I know best, when I don’t always. I was wrong this time.”

 

“He’s worth looking after,” said Betty.

 

Peter returned, and said goodnight to his aunt. He led Betty to the couch, and they sat and talked. Peter didn’t know it, but he had just been tested and passed Betty’s test.

 

“You’re quite a guy, Peter.”

 

“If you’d met me a year ago, I might not have seemed very mature. I think my Uncle Ben’s death, and meeting you have changed me so much.”

 

Not to mention acquiring the proportionate speed and strength of a spider.

 

Betty looked into his eyes, but made no moves. He asked himself whether she would think it was too soon, if he kissed her. Would she feel pressured? He had just saved her from robbery and who knows what else. What was she thinking?

 

Chapter End Notes:

But what will happen when ol' Spidey (or young Spidey actually) gets invited to a party in the next chapter. Excelsior!