- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

A lot of my love for giantess fiction comes from elements of high-fantasy stories read in my childhood.  This story is my send-up of those influences, and you'll undoubtedly recognize a few of them if you're a fan of the same kinds of sources.  People who read my stories are probably used to rougher fare than this, but I've got a big soft spot for gentle giantess tales, and I endeavor to do them justice here.

I hope you enjoy.

“And introducing her Royal Highness, Princess Caroline!” called out the head trumpeter at the top of the purple velvet-laden stairs, blowing into the horn and followed suit by the two lines of players lining the wide staircase down to the grand hall below where the celebration was taking place.

                All heads turned out of respect as Caroline entered the hall, standing at the top of the stairs.  Her lithe and somewhat shorter frame absolutely glowed in the rays of sunlight, sitting playfully but modestly in her party gown.  Her hair, normally a magnificent golden brown color, shone in an almost angelic silvery tone in the light.  As she turned, her well-known comforting and friendly smile was seen, causing the various freckles on her pink cheeks to rise, and as she looked up at the windows, the light was reflected off of her baby blue eyes, glistening as if in a dream.  She held herself high, but at the same time strode in a way that she might have been mistaken for a commoner because of her complete lack of vanity or overt pride.

                Caroline, despite being at the tender age of 18, had already made quite a name for herself in her father King Richard’s domain.  At the age of 16, she had worked hard to create shelters for the kingdom’s poor and hungry, often visiting them and working to feed and clothe them herself when she wasn’t in lessons or off visiting a foreign land with her royal parents.  Particularly, her love of children led to several orphanages being built under her hard work and surprisingly selfless leadership.  Thusly, she was well-loved by almost everyone in the kingdom, young or old, not only for her incredible beauty but for her warm and kind soul.  As she was the oldest of the king’s children, it was known and fully accepted widely that she would be a great ruler once her aging father passed away, as her mother was not in the line for the throne.

                After pausing for a moment, all in the crowded hall began to clap as Caroline strode down the stairs, clutching the sides of her dress daintily to ensure she didn’t trip on the way down.  As she reached the base, she gave the crowd a friendly nod of greeting and of permission to be at ease, the crowd nodding back in respect and continuing the celebration, the chatter of speaking breaking out in a rumble back across the hall.

                A path was cleared as Caroline stepped across the hall to the thrones, where her father King Richard and mother Duchess Elizabeth sat in the tall, golden seats with ancient red velvet pillows used only by the royals.  Caroline took her seat in a smaller throne-like seat at the base of the two thrones, which were up on a several step incline, next to her two younger siblings, Anne, who was 13, and Phillip, who was 6.

                “Your hair looks like a cat’s tail!” said Phillip, leaning over to face his older sister; he always joked like this and Caroline knew he was never serious.

                “I’m sure it’s just because I live in the same palace as you,” said Caroline, equally as playful.  “You just seem to have this effect on me.  I don’t know WHAT I’m going to do with you.”

                “Don’t listen to Phillip, Caroline.  You look beautiful…” said Anne admiringly, who always strove to be like her older sister.

                “As do you, my young pupil,” said Caroline, who had recently been, despite her initial insistence that they weren’t necessary, been teaching her younger sister the final points of regal preparation and acting that their tutors just couldn’t quite get across to Anne.  Caroline gently tickled her younger sister’s cheek, causing them both to giggle.  “Did you comb your hair this morning before they helped you with it?” asked Caroline, somewhat sternly but not really meaning it.

                “Yes, I did, just like you said!” said Anne quickly, smiling.

                “Good.  Just continue that practice every morning, and your hair will always shine like the sun, just like your eyes,” answered Caroline sweetly, turning back to face the crowd before her.

                “My… eyes?  No…”

                “Yes, of course your eyes.  You have beautiful eyes,” followed up Caroline.  She had sensed for a while her sister had lower confidence, and it was her goal to help boost it up.

                “No, I don’t, not like yours…”

                “Now, Annie…” said Caroline, the only one who actually called her sister by that (secretly preferred) nickname.  “There’s no need to put yourself down like that.  Just be happy, and smile, for what you have.  There are many not as fortunate as you.”

                “Yes, I know,” said Anne sheepishly but with no sarcasm.

                “It’s all right. Just remember that, and you’ll do great things with your life.  That’s what I’ve always tried to do.”

                “Is Luke paying you a visit later?” said Anne playfully, looking sideways over at her sister to gauge her response.

                “Why, YES, as a matter of fact,” said Caroline in an overly regal manner, again just pretending.  “He’s coming to see me during my evening walk in the West Garden.”

                Both young women suppressed smiles for a moment before smirking playfully at one another.  Luke was a prince visiting from a neighboring and allied land, and while it wasn’t clearly stated of course, he had clearly come to court Caroline.  In the year and a half she had known him, Caroline had grown to like him as a friend, and then into something more than a friend she wasn’t comfortable wording.  Regardless, she looked forward to his visits with a great zeal.  Anne, fantasizing about her older sister’s position, loved to hear the details of their meetings and strolls through the palace gardens and grounds. 

“Come on now, let’s greet the people!” said Caroline brightly, taking her sister’s hand to help her stand up to go out into the crowd.

                “Well… okay…” said Anne, smiling, enjoying the times her sister used to help train her into a young woman for the people.  As they stood up, though, a massive thunderclap was heard throughout the hall.  Caroline and Anne fell back into their seats as a terrified hush fell over the crowd following a universal gasp of shock.  A dark cloud, as if from a thunderstorm, formed right under the ceiling of the place, unfurling in black puffs.  Anne, so shocked was she, began to cry a little, and leaned over next to her older sister.  Phillip, already beginning to weep, got up and dashed to his sister’s large chair, hopping in next to her and hugging her sides.  Caroline, confused and nervous, hugged both of her siblings to her as she looked on.

                As the cloud began to roll out, covering the windows and partially blackening the hall, Caroline turned and saw her father standing up, his old eyes trained on the darkness, frowning, as if he knew what was happening.  From the center of the cloud, a dark spire twisted down onto the ground, the scared crowd separating and moving back against the walls of the huge hall as far as they could, leaving the center entirely empty.  After a moment of the terrifying cloud spinning around in a mini tornado, it slowly lifted back into the cloud, which settled in but didn’t leave.  Standing on the floor was a woman in a simple dark red gown.

                “RICHARD!” came the loud yell of the woman as she strode confidently across the floor, the utter silence from the horrified crowd allowing the loud clack of her shoes to be heard on the marble floor.  Caroline turned and looked up at her father, confused to the identity of this woman, continuing to hug her younger and trembling siblings to her.  “Well, don’t you REMEMBER me, Richard?  Your dear, dear friend Catherine?” yelled the woman, detectable contempt in her voice, almost cackling as she spoke.  “I’m sorry that I had to make such an entrance, but as I received no formal invitation to your event, I was afraid I wouldn’t be let in the door!  And that would be a tragedy, wouldn’t it?” she said, almost mockingly now, as she finally stopped at the base of the small incline leading to the throne.

                “Catherine, you have no right to come here like this, on the day of this celebration of our kingdom.”

                “You old FOOL.  Do you know how long I’ve waited to finally have a chance of meeting with you?  I wouldn’t postpone it any longer for all the world!”

                Caroline was a bit taken aback, still a bit scared herself of this disrespectful and angry woman who evidently had some sort of supernatural ability, conjuring herself a storm cloud right in the hall.  Caroline had of course heard of these kinds of things, black magic and dark spells, but had never seen them firsthand.  She did, however, know that her father’s brave armies had banished them to the Otherlands, the outermost reaches of the kingdom where it was mostly desert and dead forest.

                “Catherine, I demand that you leave this space.  If we have a further quarrel, we will do it in a diplomatic way.  There is no need to be so dramatic and violent in your approach to this matter,” said the king slowly and confidently.

                “We will do it NOW, Richard.  Do you know what you did to me?  Your armies… pushing us so far back when all we wanted was our fair share…”

                “The kingdom is not a place of darkness like you would have it be, Catherine,” snapped Richard.  “And as long as I am king, I will see to it that your kind cannot sow the seeds of unrest in these lands.”

                “That, of course, may not be too much longer…” said Catherine spitefully, biting her lip and swaying casually side to side, as if nervous when she obviously wasn’t a bit.  A surprised and somewhat angry gasp blew over the crowd.

                “Catherine, I DEMAND you renounce those words…” roared the king finally, almost spitting.

                “Calm yourself, dear Richard, I don’t mean to kill you, I merely speak of your old, decaying body going just a bit past its prime…”

                “Catherine, if you do not leave of your own accord immediately, I’ll…”

                “You’ll do what?  I see no army here.  Your guards?” said Catherine angrily, waving an uncaring hand at the guards, which were steadily stepping toward them.  She pointed her finger, and instantly a flash of green shot out of the end, shooting toward a clump of three guards, their spears drawn as they advanced.  The green bolt of energy hit them, knocking them to the ground and sending them into convulsions.

                “You will NOT do this HERE!” yelled the king again, smacking his scepter down on the ground as a show of his seriousness.

                “I mean no harm to them if you’ll just let me say and have my piece, old friend.”

                “And what is that?” said the king, raising an eyebrow.  “Be quick with it, and then be gone from this place once and for all.”

                “Of COURSE, Richard.  After today, you’ll perhaps never see my face again.  Whether or not it’s because you’ve keeled over is an entirely different matter, but I swear to you I never want to see you again after this day.”

                “Good,” said the king, but Caroline detected a hint of uncertainty in his voice.  She herself was still scared, but was calmed marginally by the idea of this witch leaving soon.  However, she soon felt herself beginning to shiver down her spine as Catherine’s eyes met hers, and she took a step toward the eldest princess.

                “This must be your daughter, Richard.  The famous CAROLINE I’ve heard people speak of so much…”

                “Catherine, leave her…” began the king.

                “Hush, I’m only meaning to be polite and introduce myself since you’re not quite up to the task.  Hello, dear,” said Catherine, a devilish grin stretching across her face and sending a chill into Catherine.  The witch took several steps forward, stopping within reaching distance of Catherine.   “I’ve heard your beauty is matched only by your kindness, dear girl.  It seems at least half of it is true, and from what I’ve heard you’ve become quite the busy one around the kingdom.  Preparing for your duties after your father drops dead?” cackled the woman, throwing her head back in glee.  Caroline winced at these awful words, but didn’t speak up, both out of fear of repercussion and just general apprehension at what was happening.

                “Well, DO speak up, and show me the kinds of things you’ve learned under the tutelage of this dear man,” said Catherine, waving casually off in Richard’s direction. “I believe the proper thing to do in this situation is to curtsy? Come now, don’t be shy, I’m an old friend of the family…”

                Catherine bowed, and, trembling, Caroline did the same, keeping her eyes trained on the woman.

                “Well, it seems at least SOMEONE in the family received some manners.  I hear you put them to good use, feeding people and hugging the poor, poor, little children across your lands,” said Catherine mockingly again.  “Tell me, dear girl, are these things true?  Are you really as GOOD as everyone says?”

                “I…I…”

                “Come now, dear girl, a proper princess musn’t stutter so, you must be confident in your words…”

                “Catherine, that’s ENOUGH!” bellowed Richard, beginning to walk down the stairs to the floor.

                “It’s perfectly all right, Richard, I was on my way out.  It was a PLEASURE to see you all,” yelled Catherine out to the still frozen in fear crowds.  “And Richard…” she said, turning to face the thrones again as she walked to the center of the room, the king putting his arms around his traumatized daughter to comfort her.  “I hope you’ll never forget me…”

                With that, she extended her arm again, pointing directly at the king and Caroline.  In another bright flash, this time a deep crimson, what looked like an electric bolt shot through the air in less than the blink of an eye, striking Caroline squarely in the stomach.

                “NO!” roared the king, his voice cracking in fear for his daughter’s safety.  Caroline felt herself go limp, her vision going fuzzy as she collapsed to the floor.  The crowd all gasped and began to move toward Catherine finally, spurned into action by the possible harm of their beloved princess.  As Caroline blacked out on the ground, her terrified father trying to hold her up as guards rushed in to aid him, she saw Catherine disappear into another black spire, and finally the dissolving of the black cloud.

 

                Caroline awoke in her massive four-poster bed, the drapes drawn around it to block out the sunlight for her to rest.  Groggily, she ran a hand through her golden hair, trying to soothe her pained head.  Doubt flooded her mind, wondering what had happened.  As the spell had struck her, she expected that she might die, or at least become mortally sick with some terrible, incurable disease by the evil woman.  However, she felt fine save for the lingering soreness in her head, and she assumed that was just from the shock of the events taking place.  She groaned instinctively, yawning and stretching, wondering what time it was when the drape was quickly drawn, revealing her loyal maid, who bowed quickly.

                “Rose, please, I’ve told you before, there’s no need to do that when we’re here; you are a friend to me, and friends needn’t use such formalities.”

                “Oh, miss, even when something so frightful has overtaken you, you still find the time to say such things to me,” said Rose smiling sheepishly.  The woman was in her late fifties, and despite her petiteness had worked tirelessly over the years, practically raising the princess from an infant as her primary maid and servant in the palace.

                “What’s happened to me?” said Caroline curiously but still nervous, sliding her legs over the side of the bed to get out.

                “Miss, miss, please, stay in bed for now, your father and mother have requested it until we are absolutely certain that you are well again.”

                Caroline nodded, knowing.  Her parents always got like this when she was even mildly ill, and she had learned to just indulge them, as they worried about her so.  “Well, all right, if it will make mother and father happy.  I do so wish to get out of bed though.  How long have I been here?”

                Rose tilted her head sheepishly.  “For multiple hours, miss, it’s the middle of the night.”

                Caroline was a little surprised, and suddenly felt bad, knowing she had left Luke for their walk in the garden.  “Did Prince Luke…” she began to ask, suddenly nervous again and swinging her legs back out to the side of the bed to get up.

                “He did indeed call; he sent his warmest hopes for your speedy recovery, miss, for when you woke up from your slumber.”

                Caroline stopped trying to get up and laid back in the large bed, pulling the covers back over herself, basking in the caring of her possible intended.  “That was very kind of him.  If I could contact him in the morning by letter, I would appreciate it deeply.”

                “Of course, miss, of course.”

                It suddenly occurred to Caroline how suddenly Rose had reacted to her waking up.  “Rose… have you been sitting there for all this time, waiting for me to wake up?”

                “Well, it really was not much, miss, it was the least I could do…”

                Caroline actually felt some guilt for having caused so much commotion.  “I really do feel fine now, Rose.  I would sincerely like you to go and sleep, you’ve already done so much.”

                “No, miss, I couldn’t…”

                “Please, I wouldn’t want anyone being put out of place because of me.  Now get some rest.”

                “All right, then, miss, thank you.  I shall stay right here, though.  If you need anything, anything at all, just call for me and I will be here for you.”

                Caroline reminded herself again to be grateful for all her blessings, one of many being Rose.  “I will, Rose.  Now please get some sleep.”

                “As you wish, miss…” said Rose, beginning to cover the drapes again before opening them.  “Oh, I’m terribly sorry, I don’t know what came over me.  I suppose it was my excitement at your improved condition, miss, but your father and mother requested to be awoken, no matter the time of day, at any change in your condition.  I will send out one of the guards in the hall…” said Rose, tiptoeing to the door, opening it, and whispering into the hallway at one of the men standing guard.  She then returned and it was no more than five minutes later that both Caroline’s parents arrived to see her at the door.

                “My dear daughter…” cooed Elizabeth, rushing to her daughter’s side and kissing her forehead.  “Are you all right?  Do you need anything?”

                “I’m fine, mother, really,” said Caroline, smiling back, happy to see her parents again after the scare.  Her father stood at the edge of the bed, stooping slightly.

                “I always knew you were strong, Caroline.  Not even anything that horrible woman can hope to conjure could harm you.  You’re just like your mother…” he said, laying a hand on his wife’s shoulder, setting out his other hand for his daughter to grasp for comfort.

                “Father… who was that?” asked Caroline, still questioning.  His eyes narrowed a little in concentration.

                “It’s a story that goes far back into my youth, my daughter, and it is both long and complicated; I do not wish to trouble your heart with it.  I have already sent out some of the royal army to ensure no such beings pass through the palace again.  I’m so sorry for what happened today…” he said, seeming legitimately sorrowful.

                “It’s all right father, I understand.  Perhaps someday I will hear of it; the real story, I mean?”

                “Yes, my daughter, someday.”

                Elizabeth kissed Caroline on the forehead again before standing back up.  “Now please get some rest, Caroline, so that you may be well again.  The people have all expressed their sorrow and eagerly await your recovery.  They will be so delighted to hear of your good health in the morning.”

                “Yes, mother, and I intend to return to the closest house for the poor tomorrow…”

                “Please, Caroline, just rest for now.  We will talk in the morning.  We don’t want you getting hurt if you are not yet fully healed.”

                “Yes, mother and father.  Thank you,” said Caroline, nodding to them.

                “Good night, my dear Caroline,” said Richard warmly, letting go of his daughter and turning his wife back toward the door to leave, Rose closing the door behind them.

                “Now REST, miss.  I will sleep; alert me if there is trouble of any kind.”

                “Of course, Rose.  Good night,” said Caroline, rolling back onto her pillow and almost immediately falling asleep.

 

                Morning came sooner than Caroline would have expected, as she opened her eyes to see a crack of light coming in from the corner of the drapes around her bed.  She sat up, feeling even more refreshed than the previous day.  Pushing the drapes aside, she swung her legs out to stand up, brushing her cream white nightgown back down over her bare legs to stay modest.  As she prepared to stand, Rose came through the door holding a tray of food and milk.

                “I’ve brought something for you, miss, to regain your strength before you go back out today to the house of the poor.”

                “Thank you, Rose, I am so very hungry…” she said, planting her feet on the marble ground and standing up.

                Rose yipped, losing her air, and dropped the tray in shock.  As Caroline stood up from her sitting position on the side of the bed, she rose up.  And continued to rise up.  Stopping at full height, her nightgown barely coming down at all on her legs, Caroline stood at what must have been over eight feet tall, towering over her short servant and standing just about even with the top post of her bed.

Chapter End Notes:

Please comment!