- Text Size +

BATTLE OF THE BANDS

2010

STICKY FUSION RECORDS and BOLL PRODUCTIONS are looking for the most groundbreaking unsigned bands in Pasadena to compete at our October Music Issue Release Party.


One band will be selected by the SFR Staff to perform in front of an audience of over 1,000 SFR clients and listeners in a showcase hosted by the Revolution Nightclub on October 15th 2010. One runner-up will also receive a prize of $1,000.00 cash! The contest will be judged by some of today's most notable radio personalities.


Grand Prize and Runner-Up will be awarded to winning band as tabulated by the judging panel.


The atmosphere in the auditorium was electric. A large crowd had arrived to watch the local performing talent and generally have a good, drunken time. Over 10 local bands had passed the pre-judging phase and were lined up to perform in what promised to be an all day affair.


The talent lined up backstage proved to be quite the colorful group. Men and women of every age, height, gender, and state of dress were vying for the chance to make it big. Some groups consisted of as many as ten different people, all dressed in elaborate clothing and holding guitars or drumsticks that glittered even in the dim lighting backstage.


Far more tame given their outlandish counterparts was a group of three girls. Fairly unremarkable in appearance, their plain T-shirts and jeans looked less a costume or bizarre outfit and more what you'd expect of a small group of regular people.


Standing in front of her bandmates was a tall girl with a wavy mane of firey red hair. She stole frequent glances between her watch and the nearby curtain that seemed intent on not moving. The dull thud of her big leather boots tapping the floor impatiently was definitely felt by her partners, who looked to each other, not knowing if they should act or just allow her to wait it out.


"Uh, Ginger, you ok?" the small Phillipino girl behind the redhead asked meekly.


"Yeah man, you look like you're ready to like, kill someone..." the third band member, a rather simple-minded blonde, added.


Ginger clenched her hand into a fist as she counted down from ten.


"Ten... nine..." She began.


"I don't think she heard you January."


"Eight... seven..." Ginger continued.


"Oh man, are you like, saying saying she just went deaf Charlie?! How are we gonna play if Gin just went deaf?"


"Six... five.." Ginger repeated in her mind.


"No not deaf, she just didn't hear you!"


"Four... three..." Ginger whispered, feeling as if she were about to explode from anticipation as the crowd seemed to roar in applause.


"GIN! YOU'RE NOT GONNA KILL ANYONE ARE YOU?"


Before Ginger could continue counting or yell at January though, a man's voice boomed over the audience.


"And that was the talented Phunbaba! Our next band will be performing in 5 minutes, let's welcome the lovely lovely, SSS Rank!" He shouted as the crowd began to head back towards the bar in their 5 minute recess.


From backstage, a small whooping sound could be heard and was immediately followed by the three girls now clearly excited over their opportunity to perform. Checking their instruments, they made sure none of the parts had decayed over what felt like a years long wait backstage.


"Just sit down Charlette." Ginger whispered, noting the Philipino girls look of distaste at the seat behind the house drumset.


"Yeah Charlie, I mean, we could be making it big, you gonna let a couple stains on your ass lose us that chance?" January said, strumming her bass airily.


"But it's filthy." Charlette moaned. "And I'm not entirely convinced this is mud I'm looking at near the back..."


"Tell you what, if we win the first thing I'll buy you is a new pair of jeans, now take a seat and get ready!" Ginger whispered harshly as she made sure her guitar was tuned properly for the hundredth time.


The audience was settling back into place, and Ginger turned to her partners to ensure they were ready. January gave a lazy nod, as did Charlette through a large frown. Turning to face the announcer, Ginger gave a confident nod, and he grinned in return.


"LADIES AND GENTLEMEN GIVE IT UP FOR SSS RANK, WITH CHARLETTE LEE ON DRUMS, JANUARY MILLER ON BASS, AND... err... GINGER ON GUITAR!" The announcer screamed to get the audience excited again.


The floor vibrated with the audiences reaction and they began performing.


It was perfect.