- Text Size +

Zach awoke that next morning in a haze. Everything around him was completely dark and smelled dirty. He couldn't precisely identify the smell, but Zach knew it wasn't pleasant. In fact, he soon realized much of his senses were null; there hadn't yet been much to do except sitting and thinking. Because sight and smell weren't options and the only thing he felt was what he thought were his bed sheets, Zach simply observed what he could.

And that's when he started to become very confused. "Why are the lights off? Isn't it morning?" he thought worriedly. And as the morning's haziness wore off, Zach began to notice something more bizarre. His arms weren't where they were supposed to be.

He thought about it harder, tried to rationalize it, and failed. For whatever reason, Zach felt his arms extend from both cheeks—each coming from opposite ends of his face—and he guessed they were slightly below the outer edges of his eyes. He felt his palms meet together and his fingers touching slightly below his bottom lip. "This is a crazy dream," Zach thought. "There's no way my arms could be there." Of course, his arms soon became just one problem out of several.

Zach no longer felt anything much below his chin. The feeling that the "missing" body parts still existed was there, but, at the same time, it wasn't. It was like his brain was telling him that he had legs, yet his brain wouldn't allow him to wiggle his toes or bend his legs at the knees. Zach couldn't even explain it to himself very well. Even worse, Zach wasn't able to move any longer; nothing responded when he tried to move a limb or even breathe. Perhaps he no longer had lungs. Thankfully, Zach did feel his back, though it felt flatter than normal. Not everything was lost. Although, now that he thought about it, he could feel something that was definitely not his bed sheets. His back laid on it and it felt soft and flat, almost like a carpet. "But how could I be on a carpet? Why can I easily feel my back and arms and face but not my chest or legs? And it's dark too! What is going on?!"

As if an answer, sound suddenly flooded his ears. It was so loud that Zach thought his ears might pop at any moment. Thankfully and after a few seconds, he eventually got used to the volume. Though it was still greatly unbearable, he now listened and tried to learn more about what was going on. Zach swore that he was hearing an alarm clock. Soon enough, the blaring sound mercifully ended and was followed by softer, more bearable sounds. As time went on and he listened intently, Zach noticed the softer sounds sounded like footfalls. Or, at the least, what he thought were footfalls—it seemed to him that he knew no longer knew much and everything around him could be anything. Shortly after, Zach heard what he believed was a shower. The running water stopped after awhile and then the footfalls resumed. A few things were opened, and then closed. Zach tried to again rationalize: "I swear those were drawers."

But then something more unexpected happened. Zach regained sight as bright light poured in, nearly blinding him for several seconds. There was an eerie pause and quietness. As his eyes adjusted, Zach also noticed for the first time that he could see everything around him as if his entire body could see. He eventually looked up and would have screamed if he could.

A teenage girl stood before him and was as stall as the heavens. She seemed to stand several miles into the air above. And even if he couldn't breathe or scream, Zach still had emotion: he was outright terrified. It was even worse as he saw her look down and begin looking back and forth, as if searching. She first searched to his left then began looking towards his right. Her eyesight met with his gaze briefly before moving onto the things around him. He then realized he wasn't alone; he was surrounded by other miscellaneous objects. Zach was in this girl’s closet.

That's when everything hit him like a train.

Zach had first looked at his surroundings. He was surrounded by footwear: flip-flops, tennis shoes, converse sneakers, doc martins, keds, and several more different types of shoes. Then he looked closer at the goddess of a girl in front of him. She was Nicole Edwards.

"Oh my god," Zach thought in absolute awe.

Because Nicole was still deciding which footwear she'd wear today, Zach looked her up and down. She was still gorgeous—even as a mile-tall goddess—and her skin glistened with the incoming sunlight. At the moment, she wore a well-fitting tank top and cute short shorts that showed her beautiful legs off. He also noticed her feet for the first time. They were bigger than ever and each toe had shiny red toenail polish on. In fact, in comparison to Zach’s perspective, Nicole’s toes looked like gigantic monsters that were ready to crush any enemy in an instant. Still, Nicole was simply sexy all over.

It was at this moment that she then made her decision. At first, Zach was sure he was safe and believed fate couldn't have been crueler than it had already been that day. However, he had failed to notice two important things. First, he never observed that Nicole typically wore flip-flops, especially in warm weather. He also didn't take note of himself or that there was a black flip-flop to his left but not to his right.

By the time he remembered that it was May and figured out why his arms were placed so oddly on his body, it was too late.

Nicole reached down and first grabbed the flip-flop to Zach's left, throwing it behind her and presumably onto her bed. Zach then watched—as if in slow-motion—as he was picked up by his arms, which were now a flip-flop thong, and was tossed at a speed that seemed like the speed of light. With a soft thud, he did indeed land on her bed at only several inches away from his "twin."

Nicole immediately turned around and began walking towards her flip-flops. Within a few moments, she grabbed Zach's twin and slipped it into her left foot. As she reached for Zach, he was scared more than he had ever been before. He was still getting used to the entire situation and Nicole was only going about her business within normal procedure for her mornings. This fact made him more terrified; she had absolutely no clue that she was about to wear the boy who’s had a serious crush on her.

But Zach didn’t have much time to think about these things. He was quickly lifted by his arms and placed on the ground. Again, as if in slow-motion, Zach experienced something he had never thought possible.

Nicole’s gigantic monster-toes did indeed look ready to crush an enemy, and today, that enemy was somehow her flip-flops. Zach first felt her toes glide over his forehead, not yet applying pressure. He watched her toes pass over where his eye sockets would be, then over his nose, and finally onto his mouth and under his arms. She placed Zach’s forearms between her big and second toes, and then settled down into him. Her right heel rested on his forehead; the foot’s arch hovered over his eyes; the balls of the foot sat on his mouth and lips; and his upper arms hugged the top of her foot while his forearms and hands were squeezed between two toes. Somehow being able to look all around him, Zach knew he was completely covered even though her right foot did cover most of the areas which his eyes could see.

But then she stood up. The pain that Zach felt was terrible and excruciating; the magnitude of the pain was something Zach had never even imagined beforehand. It felt like millions of tons was thrown instantly onto Zach and his entirety. He reminded himself that, despite the pain, he was being stepped on by a giant girl, a goddess named Nicole Edwards whom he adored; he should’ve anticipated the pain before.

In spite of that, he then realized something. Not only did Nicole have no clue of the damage and pain she was causing, but she would do this to her secret crush for the whole day. Zach was absolutely humiliated; he was going to spend nearly the entire day being stepped on and crushed under Nicole’s gigantic red toenails and under her sweaty foot. Zach wanted to cry. He wanted to cry even more when he remembered that flip-flops were unable to cry.

Fortunately, Nicole soon lifted Zach into the air, temporarily away from pain. Momentary relief washed over Zach and his sanity. But how long would that relief last?

Zach soon discovered that the life of a flip-flop isn’t so fun and that Nature can be very cruel for no reason. Nature herself was on a mission though: How long would it take until Zach mentally snaps?

Chapter End Notes:

I know that I had promised (more) action in this chapter, but life can be very busy. I promise that the next chapter will delve into more of what Zach will be going through. Don't worry, this story isn't over yet.

Again: Reviews are always appreciated. If you ever find some small mistakes in grammar/punctuation, feel free to mention them via PM/review.