- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
A certain city councilman has been very naughty...
It was 8:30. He should be here be now. Damn it to hell, maybe he wasn’t going to show. Damn it.

Councilman Steven Longham has anger issues, he knew that, and he’d be working on it, he really had. But his contact should have been here thee quarters of an hour ago. Maybe he really wasn’t coming. If not, thought the councilman, I can kiss goodbye to that new Merc!

Wait! There was someone there. In the conference room that adjoined his office. The figure was wearing a hat and a dark coat, and in the dim light he could not see if it was the person he was here to meet or not. But he had better go and see.

Opening the door, Longham stepped inside.

“Bill?”, he asked the darkness.

The figure stood up from where it had been seated at the end of the long conference table. The hat was removed, and Longham could now see a young woman standing before him.

“Not what you were expecting, councilman?”, asked the woman. Longham’s face must have betrayed his surprise.

She reached into a pocket and produced a badge.

“Special Agent Renna Finnes, FBI. You have the right to remain silent.”

***
Longham wasn’t sure how much time had passed. Hours, maybe days. He had been unconscious most of that time, in the darkness for the rest of it. but he could no longer feel his arms and legs. Something waa going on, and what ever it was, he didn’t like it.

***
Emily picked up the box from the stockroom and carried it out into the shop. Finding the right place for these items in question, she set the box down, knelt beside it and smoothly cut the box open with a pair of scissors. She started stacking the shelves with the cartons.

Out in the light at last, Longham could see what was written on the cartons. “Cheese and salad sanwiches”. He was a sandwich?! At that moment, Emily picked him up and put him on the shelf with the other sandwich cartons. He saw her hand coming towards him, then felt himself whizzing through the air to land with a soft thud on the shelf. Something very strange was going on here.