- Text Size +
1.     Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

Author note: This short was one of my early efforts. It is set in the year 1996.

 Alexandria’s Story 

Can you help me? I don’t know what to do. I suppose I should tell you who I am and how I got in this mess. My name is Alexandria Ward. I was living a normal life, until about two years ago. That’s when Cheryl arrived and changed our lives forever.

When she first arrived, we did not know her name. For the few days she was nothing but rumour. People just found reports of a 2500 foot red head too hard to believe. I still remember my first sighting of her. My boyfriend and I were out in the countryside having a picnic when Bob said;

"Alex what the heck is that?"

On the horizon was what appeared to be a mountain. But I knew there was no mountain there. Then she turned to face us. I had trouble believing my eyes. It was a woman, but what a scale. Every thing about her including her clothes was several hundred times life size. Cheryl towered over everything even the hills between us and her.

"Is this a nightmare?" I asked Bob. The goddess took a step towards us. Then she paused, and then headed toward a nearby town. Cheryl does like to play with people. Maybe that’s why she has press conferences.

It was a few weeks after my first Cheryl sighting, that Cheryl announced a meeting with the press. I along with millions of other people watched it on television. It was a humbling sight, seeing those tv reporters next to Cheryl. Her toes were taller than even the tallest reporter on the scene. It was her speech that got me and millions of people mad. In it she said her name was Cheryl and that she was a GTS-Goddess. Then she said that this world was now part of GTS-space and the days of Humanity’s dominance on this planet were over. Well that was fighting words. So naturally we began to fight back. I myself joined a resistance cell lead by a nice man by the name of Brad Pit. We were confident that we could win.

As they months went by this confidence began to fade. Cheryl was able to withstand every attack we made on her. And some of those attacks involved thousands of troops and hundreds of aircraft. Over time the military learned that large forces just meant more people for Cheryl to kill. Attacks using relatively small numbers of people became the norm. I personally was involved in the smaller attacks. My job at first involved running errands for the resistance. Others than having friends die, I didn’t see much combat until that awful night.

A dozen tanks supported by a small army of foot soldiers attacked Cheryl shortly after night fall. The plan was for the tanks to fire on her to distract her. While the ground troops try to find weak parts of her body by firing our guns in her at point blank range. In hindsight it was a desperate plan. But what choice did we have?

Right on schedule the tanks began to fire. We started to run toward the goddess. But she was a moving target. Why didn’t we wait until she was asleep? Anyway she started to crush the tanks one by one. We could hear the loud crunch as each tank, was crushed flat by her enormous feet. It was then I realized, we had the same chance against Cheryl as bugs would have against a Human. This though made me freeze in my tracks. Which is just as well, for it saved my life. Some of the troops did manage to get on to her body. I can still hear the smacking sound her hand made, as she smacked the people off her body like they were flies. Fortunately she didn’t see me in the dark, so I managed to survive the night.

When dawn came, I didn’t know what to do. Neither did the rest of resistance. For ever thing short of nuclear weapons had been tried against Cheryl. Morning passed by quickly, and I got hungry. That’s when I came across the restaurant. Except for the big picture of a wishbone on the roof, it looked just like an ordinary restaurant. Going inside, I found the place almost empty. A huge eight foot waitress quickly seated me at a table and handed me a menu. Then she ran off somewhere. Looking it over, I couldn’t make up my mind. Looking around the room, I then noticed a sign on the wall the read;

WARNING

ONE WISH PER PERSON

ONCE YOU MAKE A WISH YOU CAN"T TAKE IT BACK

When the waitress came back, I asked her about the sign.

"That refers to the wishbone meal deal. Who ever orders it gets to make a wish."

"Really? Come on , um what’s your name?"

"Brenda. I used to be sceptical too until my wish came true."

"Well this planet needs a miracle, to get rid of Cheryl."

"Who’s Cheryl?"

"You never heard of Cheryl? She is the GTS-Goddess ruler of this planet. Where have you been?"

"Elsewhere. Are you ready to order now?"

"I’ll take the Wishbone meal deal please."

"All right. But I should warn you, that fighting a GTS-goddess is very dangerous. Be careful what you wish for."

A short time later my meal arrived. It was delicious. Then I started to think back over the last couple of years. How we were no match for Cheryl and how unfair that was. Then I said the words that would come to haunt me.

"I wish I could meet Cheryl on equal terms. Then I will have a fair fight." After I said these words, I remembered the wish. Would it come true? Then I realized, if Cheryl shrunk to my size, I would have a chance to beat her to a pulp, and the threat to Humanity would be over.

After I had finished my meal I noticed a man starting at me. He was of medium build, and looked like he was in his thirties.

"I know I’m beautiful. But must you look at me that way?"

"Sorry I didn’t mean to stare. Names Stanley Charm, I’m the manger of Wishbone. While I admit you’re a nice looking brunette. That’s not why I’m interested in you."

"Oh, why are you interested in me then?" This Stanley guy was starting to give me the creeps.

"Because of your role you’re going to play in this world future."

In hindsight, I think he knew what was going to happen to me. I should have questioned him further. But at the time, all I wanted to do was pay the bill and get out of there.

The rest of the day was uneventful. I camped out in a small forest, and went to sleep. When I woke up, it was almost dawn. Then I notice another woman a short distance away. She had curly red hair and green eyes, and was wearing a brown jumpsuit. It took me a few seconds to realize it was Cheryl. She no longer towered over me. We were the same size.

"The playing field is level at last." I cried, as I got up.

"What are you talking about Alexandria ?" she asked. I answered by attacking her.

Cheryl despite being surprised by my attack soon fought back. After a couple of minutes of fighting she said;

"Here I was planning a peaceful transition."

"What are you talking about?" I asked.

"My role on your world was to prepare it for GTS-Goddess rule. Your rule."

"What nonsense are you.." the words died in my throat as I looked around me. The world had gone tiny. The trees that were still standing only came up to my knees. During the fight quite a few trees got crushed. As I stood there in stunned silence, Cheryl threw a punch at me, knocking me to ground.

"That’s for attacking me."

"I don’t get it. I was expecting you to shrink down to my size, when I made that wish."

Cheryl burst out laughing.

"GTS-Goddesses are shrink proof you fool." Then in a more sympathetic tone she said;

"You’re not the first one, to make an error when wishing at Wishbone."

"But I don’t want to be a GTS-Goddess. I spent most of the past two years in the resistance."

"You don’t have a choice. Although I find it ironic, that a goddess hater should become a goddess herself. Before I go, I’ll give you one piece of advice, there are GTS-Goddess out there that are a lot more powerful than you. So don’t think of taking this world out of GTS-Space. That said, may your rule be pleasant."

Cheryl then left me.  I believe she has actually left this world.

I wish I knew what to do. Wishbone is no help because once you make a wish you can’t take it back. (Besides I’m too big to fit in the restaurant anyway) Refusing to rule is an option I suppose, but they would just send some one else to rule in my place or force me to become a puppet ruler. Besides I would still be a GTS-Goddess. I’ve become the enemy and I don’t like it. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can become Human again, and liberate this world from GTS-Goddess rule?

The end