- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Written with the help of AI. I proceed little by little by prompting what should happen and the AI gives me the prose that I modify if needed.

Will adjusted the strap of his backpack, a nervous sweat already prickling his palms despite the cool April morning. Today was his first day as a business analyst intern at Poole Inc., a prestigious software consulting firm nestled in the heart of SoHo. Landing the internship had been a stroke of luck. A college friend, interning at a rival firm, mentioned a last-minute opening at Poole's. Will, desperate for experience after graduation, had thrown his resume in, not truly expecting a call back. Yet, here he was, a tangle of excitement and trepidation, on his way to a world he barely understood.

Married with a rambunctious toddler at home, Will shouldered the responsibility of providing for his young family. This internship, he hoped, would be the stepping stone to a secure career. He'd spent the past week prepping – researching Poole Inc., brushing up on his business analysis skills, and rehearsing introductions in his head. But a nagging worry lingered. Poole Inc. had an air of mystique, an almost cult-like following within the industry. What awaited him behind those sleek glass doors?

Pushing open the cool glass doors of Poole Inc., Will was met by a bright, modern lobby. A young woman with a neatly bobbed haircut sat behind a sleek, minimalist desk. "Good morning," she greeted with a practiced smile, "Can I help you?"

Will, still damp with nervous sweat, fumbled for his ID. "Hi, I'm Will. I'm the new business analyst intern."

The secretary's smile widened. "Welcome, Will! Mr. Walker must be expecting you. Let me give him a call." She punched in a number on a sleek phone, her voice professional yet friendly. "Mr. Walker? You have a new intern arrived, Mr. William... ah yes, Thompson. Sending him right up."

Moments later, a tall, impeccably dressed man emerged from a nearby office. "Will Thompson?" he boomed, his voice radiating authority. "You must be Mr. Walker, head of business development?" Will ventured, extending a hand.

Mr. Walker's handshake was firm, his grip surprisingly strong. "Indeed. Welcome aboard, Will! Come, let's introduce you to the team." He gestured towards a glass-walled office where a group of young professionals sat hunched over laptops. Will's heart hammered in his chest. This was it.

The glass door slid open with a soft hiss, revealing a vibrant workspace. Will was met with a chorus of "Hi Wills!" and friendly smiles. He felt a wave of relief wash over him – these weren't the stereotypical, cutthroat consultants he'd envisioned.

A tall, lanky guy with a mop of brown hair detached himself from the group and extended a hand. "Greg, data analysis. Welcome to the team, buddy!"

Will's grip was met with a surprisingly firm handshake. Greg, he quickly learned, possessed an easy-going nature and an infectious laugh. Over the next hour, Greg showed him the ropes – the team structure, the software they used, and the upcoming projects they were tackling. Will soaked it all in, his initial nervousness giving way to a burgeoning sense of belonging.

"Alright, coffee break's on me," Greg announced, clapping Will on the back. "Let's get some caffeine pumping."

The break room bustled with activity – interns microwaving meals, analysts huddled over laptops, and a group by the coffee machine engaged in animated conversation. Greg led Will towards a corner table, the aroma of freshly brewed coffee a welcome change from the sterile office air.

"So, Will," Greg began, pouring milk into his mug, "anything exciting planned for the weekend besides conquering the world of business analysis?"

"Actually," Will chuckled, "mostly diaper duty and trying to convince my toddler that broccoli isn't the enemy."

Greg's eyebrows shot up. "Married life, huh? Respect." He grinned. "My weekends are usually spent catching up on sleep and questionable online gaming decisions."

A comfortable silence settled between them as they sipped their coffee, the normalcy of their conversation a balm to Will's initial anxieties. Maybe, just maybe, this internship wouldn't be so bad after all.

Their conversation flowed easily, Greg sharing stories of weekend gaming marathons while Will recounted the hilarious (and slightly sleep-depriving) adventures of fatherhood. Suddenly, a jarring sound erupted from somewhere deeper in the office. It was a loud bang, like a fist slamming onto a table, but with a force that seemed to shake the very walls. A split second later, a woman's voice, laced with icy fury, echoed through the room, demanding something Will couldn't quite decipher.

"Whoa," Will stammered, setting down his coffee mug a little too forcefully. "Someone sounds like they're having a rough morning."

Greg chuckled, taking a large gulp of his coffee. "Don't worry about it," he said casually. "That's just Brooke, the marketing director. She's, uh, got a bit of a temper."

Will raised an eyebrow. "Sounds… intense."

"Yeah," Greg agreed, his voice dropping a notch lower. "Let's just say if you ever run into her, try your best not to get on her bad side. Luckily, marketing's on a different floor, so you shouldn't have to deal with her much."

Will nodded, a sliver of unease creeping into his newfound sense of comfort. He wasn't one for confrontation, and the image of this fiery marketing director painted a picture he wasn't eager to meet. But surely, in a company this big, their paths wouldn't cross, right?

The reassuring clink of mugs against the table faded as Greg launched into explaining the intricacies of a new client project. Will, notebook in hand, scribbled furiously, trying to absorb the torrent of information. Despite the initial shock of the 'angry director' incident, the rest of the day unfolded smoothly. Greg proved to be an excellent mentor, patiently explaining complex software functionalities and industry jargon. By the end of the week, Will felt a sense of accomplishment. He was starting to grasp the ropes, his initial anxieties replaced by a burgeoning confidence. The team, too, had been welcoming, their easy camaraderie a delightful surprise.

One evening, as Will packed up his things, Greg clapped him on the back. "Good work this week, buddy! You're a natural."

Will smiled, a genuine warmth spreading through him. "Thanks, Greg. I couldn't have done it without you."

"Hey, that's what we're here for," Greg grinned. "See you Monday?"

Will nodded, a flicker of apprehension momentarily dimming his enthusiasm. Monday also marked the beginning of solo projects, a prospect that both excited and terrified him. He was eager to prove himself, but the looming absence of Greg's constant guidance sent a tremor of nervousness through him. Taking a deep breath, he forced a smile. "Absolutely." He waved goodbye, the weight of the upcoming week settling on his shoulders.