- Text Size +
Story Notes:


Melissa frowned. She checked her phone for the hundredth time, and re-read the texts she'd received. She was at the right coffee shop and on the right day. The time was correct... thirty minutes ago. The texts from her date seemed genuine. She had felt like they had a connection, despite not yet having met. It seemed a little cliche to meet on Valentine's Day, but wouldn't that have made for a lovely story if it worked out? 

She looked around at the other couples. This was a mixed-size establishment, with only the highest safety concerns. She had guessed when Alexander requested this location that he was probably lying about his height, and not in the way most of the college guys did. She didn't judge, it made sense to be a little afraid of someone who could step on you so easily. Melissa hated being stood up but she imagined how she'd feel trying to attend a date with a woman the size of a building. The thought sent shivers down her spine. Still, though, the other couples looked so happy. Today was a special day for them to share with someone you cared for, and they were using it to the fullest. 

The Tall Order prided itself on mixed-size architecture that was able to create an atmosphere of community for all. There were tiny-sized gantries and walkways with clear tubes to prevent any accidents. There were clearly marked areas for shared zones and normal-only zones. It was something Melissa took for granted. She knew to stay away from tiny zones and only occasionally broke the rules. She thought about yesterday when she was late for class and took a shortcut through a tiny neighborhood, easily stepping over their little homes. It was a luxury for her to decide to do so, barely a reprimand if she was ever caught. But she knew that tinies taking such shortcuts were doing so at their peril. In fact, something happened just last week when she was walking into a bar. She had only taken one step into the normal-sized entrance when she felt a slick pop under her foot. 

Shocked, Melissa raised her foot and found that her Doc Marten had caught the leg of a poor tiny. He was trying to sneak into the club, undoubtedly to pick up normal-sized people. Why are so many tinies infatuated with us? Melissa wondered as she watched a mixed-size couple kiss. Their love seemed genuine, and she sighed. The only connection she'd made was with the treads of her sole. She had tried to apologize when it happened, but he was having none of it. He went on and on about lawsuits and damages as she sheepishly straightened her tights and tried to apologize. 

Melissa had accidentally ended tinies before, and even some near-misses but that night she was a little tipsy and quite annoyed. She made a show of pretending to squish him, her eyes playfully mischievous. He yelped, leg still twisted and broken. His cries of anger turned to pleadings for mercy and apologies. But something seemed so fake about everything. Melissa just frowned. Her eyes went cold and her slender leg raised just a little higher before her sole found him again. This time her treads meant business, and she flattened him in an instant. Someone came through the door behind her, and she stood on him for a moment as they went past to hide their unfortunate interaction. Melissa's eyes snapped back to the present as she saw the waitress's black pumps move with speed and intention around the protective plastic tubes where the tinies walked. 

"Sorry about your date. We have a stood-up special, if you like" The waitress offered, holding a clipboard. 

"Oh? That would be great, actually. Thank you." 

~~~~~~~~~~~ 

Alexander's phone had been dead for nearly an hour, and he had missed his train to the mixed-size center of town. He was only around half an hour late and was hoping beyond hope that she was still there. He had matched with a few normals before but they always dropped him the second they discovered he was a tiny. He started to lie on the site, using an account he purchased from a normal friend in class. He was still rejected now and then but this time was different. They had talked for a while, and she seemed very kind. Her sentiments towards tinies lacked any kind of prejudice. She was sweet and lovely, and he was about to fuck it all up by being terribly late. 

He burst through the entryway, his only suit sweaty and disheveled from running from bus stop to bus stop. There were seven connections, none of them very optimal but faster than waiting for the next train. He scanned the interior of The Tall Order from the viewport in the tunnel, trying to find Melissa. She was easy to spot, once he looked long enough. His heart sank, she was the only one alone. The tunnels inside were so congested, this coffee shop being part of a larger network. He would be another ten minutes if he tried to elbow his way through all of these people. He stopped to catch his breath and noticed the red and orange checkered warning exit. A large black shoe appeared and disappeared almost instantly as a waitress walked by. She was carrying a plate to Melissa. It was the one they brought people who didn't meet with their dates. He knew, from being offered the same miniature-sized version before. 

There was no time. She might be done with it before he arrived, and then she would be gone. He couldn't afford to let someone like her go. He looked left, then right. Then upwards. The din of couples enjoying their Valentine's was deafening, but thankfully there were so few people walking around. He took in a deep breath and sprinted out over the warning signs onto the tile. The waitress was coming back his way already, but he managed to make it to a booth. The wind alone from her moving past him nearly knocked him over. He steadied himself on the wooden booth, a woman high above him chatting as she crossed her legs. One menacing sneaker hovered above him, idly twitching. Alexander gulped, his eyes fixated on the potential danger with an Adidas logo. It was a symbol he had come to fear. 

Moving quickly out from under the shadow of the sneaker he ran towards Melissa. He knew courting danger in these scenarios was risky, and he needed her protection. There were only

four more booths yet to run, and thankfully he'd be there. Then it was only a matter of getting her attention... 

~~~~~~~~~~~ 

Melissa checked herself over in the pocket mirror and saw a melancholic beauty staring back at her. She had done herself up for nothing. Her cute red sundress, the makeup, the tights. Her hair was fantastic, and there was nobody to care. She looked down at the little bows on her red flats and immediately felt foolish. Why put in all this effort? She snapped her mirror shut as the waitress returned with a plate and departed again with a halfhearted smile. 

She eyed her consolation prize for showing up to her date. It was two slices of toast, smeared with Nutella and topped with round banana slices. Heavenly and sweet, if a little messy. She picked up the dessert and bit in, savoring the crunch and creamy spread. At least this was better than nothing, she thought. She began to hum to herself and smile, thinking of how she might spend the rest of her day. Her legs kicked back and forth, her flats skidding along the floor. The Tall Order really knew how to lift someone's spirits. Melissa hummed and ate while she watched an endless stream of tiny people walk through the tunnels. 

~~~~~~~~~~~ 

Alexander had reached his destination and was in awe. Everything about her was perfect, and he could hear the lovely melody of her humming cascading around him. He felt relieved and took a moment to catch his breath. He tried shouting, but it was useless. She would never hear him over the noise of the coffee shop. He remembered the dozens of safety protocols about approaching a normal who was unaware of your location. Every sinew in his brain screamed at him not to, but he knew it was his only chance. He approached her foot. 

She was wearing adorable red flats, with tights for the colder weather. The nylon-covered legs stretched on into infinity under her dress. He would try to bang on her ankle, where the skin is sensitive. That should get her attention. He walked closer and could smell the leather from her shoes. Her floral fragrance, mixed with the sweet scent of Nutella. He could see himself 

reflected in her shoe, he looked rather insane. A moment of vanity overtook him and he tried to straighten himself out before getting her attention, but her foot lurched forward. He crouched down reflexively out of fear and watched as the shoe was already swinging back. 

Alexander dove out of the way, narrowly being caught under her as she dragged her shoe back. He screamed, as her other heel came down upon him. He closed his eyes, knowing this was probably the end. The wind was knocked out of him, and he felt a sharp pain in his ribs. He realized that she hadn't put all of her weight on him. She should be dead but she had slipped out of her flats and her nylon feet were airing out. He tried to crawl out from under her shoe but her red-painted toes found the lip of her flats and drug them back under. He rolled a few times and dragged along with her shoe. He was faced with a whirlwind of leather and nylon, her toes toying with her shoes as she hummed. He was battered and beaten, a slow gyration of her

ankle made it impossible to leave. Alexander tried to stay low but the leather just kept assaulting him. 

He ducked under her shoe multiple times, the sole scraping over him. She had both of her shoes off, her big toes maneuvering the flats to spin them around in place. Alexander felt something break in his leg, as she ground into him. He knew he'd be smeared over the coffee shop floor if he didn't act, and so he did the unthinkable. He lept into her shoe as it spun around, clearing the opening and landing inside. He spun slowly as she continued to play, her feet idly pushing the flats as he lay battered and bruised beneath her toes. His breath ragged and his clothes torn, he tried again in vain to get her attention. He screamed her name, and suddenly she stopped. 

Had she finally noticed him? She was moving above. A hand appeared, only to reach for her phone. Her foot moved with delicate grace to reposition the shoes back to forward-facing. Alexander recognized the danger too late. Her foot descended, its oppressive warmth and silky fabric pinning him to the insole as she relaxed for a moment. If she put her shoe on all the way, he was done for. He pounded at her, kicking and squirming with everything he had. He pressed into the sweaty fabric and screamed. 

~~~~~~~~~~~ 

Melissa was almost finished with her Nutella toast. There were just a few more bites of banana and spread left. She checked her phone and frowned again. Still nothing. She thought about whether she'd eat the last piece and then she felt something strange. A twitch in her foot, like an itch. At first, it wasn't worth thinking about but after she flexed her toes she felt it was something in her shoe. She assumed it was a pebble that got tossed in while she was playing around with her feet but it was squishy. She parted the tablecloth and lifted her foot to find a tiny lying inside her shoe. He was screaming. Her eyes went wide, her heart raced. She reflexively put her foot back, stifling his screams. 

She looked around. Had anyone heard? The waitress was on her way, did she see? This place would be shut down for a week with an investigation if something like this was exposed. Melissa felt tunnel vision set in as the waitress approached. 

"Can I get you anything else?" 

"Wh- what?" Melissa snapped out of it. 

"Anything else? The stood-up special is on the house." 

"Oh, Ummmmmm," Melissa felt the tiny beneath her begin to wiggle and scream into her sole. She squeezed him, applying just enough pressure to get him to be quiet, "How about a coffee? Just a regular latte."

"Sure thing, hun" The waitress replied before walking away again. 

Melissa let up on the pressure underneath her and was thankful that he was still alive. What was she supposed to do? She maneuvered him towards the toe section of her shoe, trying to be delicate. She slipped on her flat over him and briefly considered taking a quick walk out. But no, that would definitely make a mess. She'd be walking strangely and her shoe would be ruined. She started to sweat. The waitress returned with a small coffee, setting it down in a rush as she attended other tables. 

~~~~~~~~~~~ 

Inside her shoe, Alexander was quaking with fear. She had definitely seen him, right? She had locked eyes... and yet, she tried to squish him. He felt like he was going to die right there on her insole, the full force of her coming down. He thought she was reasonable. She was supposed to be kind. Then she goes and does something like this. He knew she was probably just spooked, maybe she thought he was a bug? No, that doesn't make any sense. Why squish a bug inside your shoe? She also hadn't squished him. Yet. He went limp, trying to play dead. Her toes wrapped him in warm nylon and deposited him deeper into the shoe. He felt as if he was being interred. 

The heat and sweat were unbearable, her toes pressed him into the insole and he was becoming damp. What little light entered through only allowed him to see vague shapes through nylon fabric. He resisted the urge to scream, for fear that she'd do something worse. 

Melissa took a sip of her coffee and tried to act normal. She thought back to that tiny she squished last week, the one at the bar. Nobody would notice him in the darkness of a bar in the normal-only area. But somebody would notice this. So many people. So many tinies! Had someone seen all this? Her eyes darted to the tunnel where they walked. No commotion. It was probably fine. She took another sip of coffee. She had to get rid of him, but in a way people wouldn't notice. Her stomach turned with anxiety. She looked around again before taking a deep breath. 

Melissa crossed her leg, lifting the tiny up with her foot so that he was easily accessible. Her ankle rested on her knee, facing away from the rest of the coffee shop. She deftly latched onto him with her toes, and removed her shoe. Reaching around with her other hand, she pretended to itch her foot and fix her tights while she grabbed him. A normal-sized couple walked by, and she quickly shoved him under the folds of her dress as they passed her. They didn't even notice. Melissa looked around again and with one swift motion, she reached for a banana slice and lifted it from the Nutella toast. She placed the tiny on it and replaced the banana. He fit snugly under the round fruit slice. 

"Can I take this?" The waitress seemed to materialize from nowhere. Melissa panicked. "Ummm. Wait. I, Uh, I'm-"

"It's OK, hun. I'll let you finish. You take all the time you need." 

Melissa let out a sigh of relief. If he was found in the trash, or worse, he would have told everyone. He'd seen her face. What the fuck was he doing walking around the floor like that? Why was this happening to her, again?? Her mind raced, and the tiny poked his head from the banana slice. He was covered in Nutella. 

Melissa's hand was shaking, she reached for her phone and pretended to receive a call. She placed the phone to her ear and angled the plate so that she could talk directly to the tiny without anyone thinking she was crazy. 

"Look. I'm really sorry about this, but... You..." She stammered. The tiny was trying to say something too but his mouth was choked with the sticky spread. Melissa continued, "Don't bother. It doesn't matter anymore. I'm not going to enjoy this, either. Just... Don't fight me and I'll make it quick. Again, I'm sorry but this is pretty much your fault. I'm sorry but, you're going inside." 

Melissa pretended to hang up the call, then lifted the toast. She eyed the best angle and decided she needed to take another bite before she could do the deed. 

~~~~~~~~~~~ 

Alexander struggled to lift the banana from his body, the sticky residue practically glued him in place. He was able to partially push his head out, face covered in the brown sickly sweet substance. Melissa was saying something, apologizing? He tried to tell her it was alright, it was just a joke, it was a misunderstanding. Maybe this was her way of getting back at him for his tardiness. He tried to wipe himself off but found himself staring into her eyes. She had pity in her eyes, but then her mouth appeared and her lips parted. Her white teeth glistened, and her tongue still some Nutella mixed with saliva near the back of her throat. He tried to scream, but only a Nutella bubble came out. 

The teeth impacted just near his head, and she began to quickly chew. She looked around as if she was about to do something terrible. Her eyes were a mix of worry and pity. Alexander couldn't take it, he didn't understand. Why? Why was she doing this? What kind of monster eats a tiny? 

~~~~~~~~~~~ 

Melissa gulped. It was time. One more bite and this would be behind her. She looked around one more time. Nobody would notice one missing tiny. She frowned. If her date had shown up then probably none of this would have happened. She was glad she couldn't see his face, it would be easier that way. She could forget about him.

She opened her mouth again, this time to end his suffering. She heard him scream as her teeth encircled him, and she bit into the toast around him to trap his screams within her mouth. Just one more bite, she thought to herself. Just a piece of banana. She pushed her doomed morsel onto her molars and was about to chew, but his cries rang out in her head. 

"Why?! Why?! Please n- Ah!" 

She continued to chew, avoiding pushing the tiny person against her teeth. She maneuvered him to her cheek while she tore the banana to shreds. Thankfully, nobody had noticed. She wouldn't be able to make it quick for him, though. It was all just too much. 'I'm really sorry, whoever you are' she thought to herself. 

~~~~~~~~~~~ 

Alexander watched as the banana was pulped before his eyes, the squelch of saliva mixing with Nutella was deafening. She had almost chewed him alive, just like that. Like he was some kind of snack. His mind spun, trying to justify how someone so sweet and beautiful could be so horrific on the inside. Inside. The word rang like a death knell in his head. Her voice was so lovely, yet she had named his manner of death. He looked towards her throat, which easily gulped down what mess was left of the banana. He looked at the molars and knew he was next. 

"Please! Don't eat me! I'm sorry! Please!" He made his last desperate pleas before the inevitable. 

But she did not crush him. Her mouth tilted, and he slid back on a river of sweetness. She wasn't going to chew. 

"Inside" The last thing she said to him. The last thing he would ever hear. 

"Please!" He managed once more before her muscles seized his body and pressed around him. He was squeezed further in, and then with a wet pop and a yelp, he was gone. 

~~~~~~~~~~~ 

Melissa took a few more sips of coffee. Her nerves were beginning to calm. She relaxed, knowing there wasn't going to be a scene. She watched the tiny people walking around the tunnels. Safely tucked away from harm. She wondered where the one inside her was headed. There was a certain rush in watching them. She saw them carry on their lives as she continued to pour hot coffee onto the one in her. Hopefully, it wouldn't be too bad for him. She had thought it might be nice and warm inside of her, free from whatever worries prompted him to leave the tiny zones. She played around with her shoes a little, remembering how the tiny within her had just been here. She laughed to herself. This whole ordeal was rather ridiculous. If he'd not been such an idiot this could have been avoided. Thankfully it was in the past.

Melissa slipped her flats back on and paid for her coffee, with a generous tip to cover the cost of the dessert to go along with it. She boarded the train back to her apartment and while she rode she checked her messages. Still nothing. She wondered why she was stood up. When she got off of the train she wondered if the tiny was still alive.